PDA

View Full Version : DK tanking, IBF Glyph?

Swoops
05-05-2009, 05:16 PM
I was having a discussion with a fellow DK and he suggested getting the IBF glyph for tanking.

In his reasoning he said it adds 10% reduction in damage, IE instead of starting at 20% + defense it's 30% + defense (netting you 10% more dmg reduction)

Is this the case? I haven't had a chance to test this.

Telix
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I believe this is true. There is a thread about it over on EJ (Elitist Jerks (http://www.elitistjerks.com)) in the Class Mechanics (DK) forum. I believe you can also find it in the FAQ thread there. (At work and can't find the direct link).

KnThrak
05-05-2009, 11:40 PM
The big question is whether it's supposed to be a bug or not.
The wording can actually be meant to indicate the current behaviour - where it always just "adds" 10% absorbtion to IBF.

ttocs
05-06-2009, 12:57 AM
It's 30% + defense.

Feanorr
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
it is true; I dunno if it's intentionnal or not though.

Satorri
05-07-2009, 04:56 AM
It hasn't been corrected in the flurry of hotfixes, so I assume it is just the tooltip which is misleading.

Mecer
05-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Ill admit that really changes my opinion on the glyph. Now to find a slot for it.

KnThrak
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Is it really that strong though?
The uptime on IBF is good but not stellar, and we're talking 10% during that time only. Granted, this would need some serious discussion as to where effects which require 10% extra absorb on IBF but won't squish you during IBF's cooldown are common - I haven't tanked Ulduar yet.

Mecer
05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
It depends on what you are tanking.

If you are typically the MT and just tanking 1 mob at a time I feel that you'll get more out of threat glyphs or duration glyphs.

IBF glyph shines when you are taking damage from multiple sources: Add tank for Deconstructer or Kologarn for example. This is a case that its not a matter of how BIG the hits are but how often you are getting hit in the fairly short duration of IBF (assuming no 4 peice T7 or frost spec, though in that situation the glyph becomes even better).

And if you find yourself with a significant lead on threat against the DPS, where you can afford to switch threat glyphs out for mitigation.

visualdeity
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Is it really that strong though?
The uptime on IBF is good but not stellar, and we're talking 10% during that time only. Granted, this would need some serious discussion as to where effects which require 10% extra absorb on IBF but won't squish you during IBF's cooldown are common - I haven't tanked Ulduar yet.

I think there are enough to merit the glyph slot. Example off the top of my head: Fusion Punch on Iron Council. An extra 10% damage reduction is like 2k or 2.5k damage you're taking off that hit. It won't always save you, but it's better than anything else you're going to find for that glyph slot. The other glyphs you can put in are probably threat glyphs, and I think there's much more need for survivability than threat in Ulduar.

Satorri
05-08-2009, 05:32 AM
10% more dmg reduction is definitely a great buff.

IBF is currently still on a 1 min CD which makes it very worth using frequently. As Frost you even have a 50% longer duration which makes this glyph that much better. 18 (21 with 4 pc t7) sec of 45-50% dmg reduction per minute is great. Personally I can't take in my blood glyph set without feeling like I'm giving up more spec-benefitting buffs, though I wish I had a 4th slot.

ttocs
05-08-2009, 12:33 PM
It depends on what you are tanking.

If you are typically the MT and just tanking 1 mob at a time I feel that you'll get more out of threat glyphs or duration glyphs.

- Frozen Blows on Hodir
- Surge of Darkness on Vezax
- Plasma Blast on Mimiron Phase 1
- Unbalancing Strike on Thorim Phase 2 (the actual attack, not necessarily the debuff)

All places where the extra 10% is really, really useful. If you're the MT doing the pull on Auriaya I'd also say at the beginning of that fight too, in case the OT's are a bit slow to pick their adds up.

Of those encounters, the only time I'd really be wishing I had an extra threat glyph would be Hodir.

Mecer
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
I stand by my thoughts that its a better glyph for when you're taking damage from multiple sources or a fast attacking source. 10% from a 12k attack is alot, but when compared to the attacks of 3-4 mobs each doing 4k I think you'll find more uses in that situation (espically as Frost for longer duration or IBF).

Personally I tank as Blood so I glyph VB, for the extra time. Comparing the two VB is a static effect completely unrelated to the inc damage, where as IBF's effectiveness decreases as you dodge/parry any attacks. I am not saying its a bad glyph but given the short duration for a non-Frost tank, you can find another glyph you can get more out of.

Esch
05-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I am not saying its a bad glyph but given the short duration for a non-Frost tank, you can find another glyph you can get more out of.

I dunno. When I 'discovered' that the IBF Glyph was giving the 10% increase all the time, I worked it into both my tank (blood/unholy) builds asap. The physical in damage avoidance is notable, but the ability to mitigate unavoidable attacks, such as spells, can make or break an encounter. The flexibility in what we can use IBF makes it superiour to glyph compared to other abilities.

Swoops
05-11-2009, 06:00 AM
As a blood MT I have zero threat issues whether it's aoe or single target.

So I choose to use the Glyph of IBF over Glyph of Death Strike.

Theorycrafting aside, I like the use of IBF because it reduces the damage i take, giving my healers a significant break for 12 seconds every minute.

I still use a rotation for cooldowns, Crab -> VB -> IBF then so on.

Exam time so i can't give more!

Mecer
05-18-2009, 09:49 AM
Blue has just stated that there is (or was) a bug with the glyph giving PvE tanks additional mitigation that was intended. According to Blizzard the glyph is only intended to be for PvP.

(source is from mmo-champion)

Esch
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
Alas, Blizzard finally looked at parses and found this good. No surprise, but I am thankful I'm replacing a glyph instead of finding IBF reworked. I suspect some of the QQ I've read lately about DK survivability is a result of this glyph. Hopefully parses after this hotfix prove that tanks are generally about equally, with minor bias towards some encounters.