PDA

View Full Version : DPS in Prot.

Caddy
05-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Armory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Hozz)

Most recent wws.
Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/dy6b41xjyvbuq)

My dps is hovering around 1200 consistantly since I've been in Ulduar. Some events have me MT, while others, have not.

I realize that Prot. isn't meant to generate the numbers that the other trees can potentially do, but I'm always last on dps and I'm starting to build a complex.

If this is the extent that other prot. warriors are doing, I'll just accept it, but if there's room for improvement, I'm willing to listen to suggesitons.

Regards,
Hozz

Braggha
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Soft cap you expertise, this must help. Also I noticed that you not using Concussion Blow and Shockwave in you rotation, which is big threat/DPS loss.

Overall, you gear is abit bad for Ulduar imo, you may want to get some upgrades from Naxx25/Sarth/Malygos.

Still, as a warrior, you will not do huge DPS in raids. With all BiS Naxx25/Sarth/Malygos gear, i do like 2k-2.5k DPS in raids, and DK tank can easilly get over 3k.

robbon
05-05-2009, 02:17 AM
as a MT prot warrior i have specced for survival in ulduar using last stand and shield wall glyph as well as improved disciplines to reduce cd...

my dps now sucks.

At best im hitting 1500 on average its 1200 in ulduar.

Our other prot warrior is the same..he hits 1600 at best.

Compared to druids doing 2.5-3.2k and DK doing 3K + as well as prot pallies in lower gear doing 2.8K + ....its depressing.

give more.

Ghladum
05-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Honestly I can't imagine a Paladin doing 2.8+kDPS in worse gear than would give a Warrior 1200-1500. These exaggerations are neither helpful or insightful. There is definitely a significant and reproducible discrepancy between the 4 classes of tanks, though, with Warriors coming out on the lower end of the scale in most (if not all) cases using orthodox talent specs.

What I would love would be for Blizzard to get rid of the Threat Modifiers on all of our abilities and establish parity with other tank DPS numbers.

But, until then, consider this: If you work hard to be the best tank possible rather than complaining about your class shortcomings, that is infinitely more helpful to a raid than being able to match that Prot pally's 300 extra DPS. That's how you'll find yourself getting raid invites and progressing through content. I've come to accept my Recount and WWS not as humiliating comparisons to other tanks, but to internally check to see if I was doing everything correctly during fights.

Shox
05-06-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm really looking for some answers on this too. I'm a prot pally, and in our 10 man Ulduar / Naxx runs I don't think I've ever broken 2k DPS for a fight.

I've always kinda accepted that it could be a product of usually being the OT, but even my MT fights don't seem to have the DPS I'd like.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Shox)

WWS from last week:

http://wowwebstats.com/gknr5ebra1lfq

Martie
05-06-2009, 05:03 AM
I'm a paladin tank and as an add tank, I generally do more damage then when tanking a boss by virtue of having more mobs to hit.
When on a boss, I sit at about 1500-1600 dps.

I don't really see the point of complaining about it, though. Every bit of damage may help, but it's not my job to do large amounts of damage. It's my job to tank the boss, and I do that just fine.

Shox
05-06-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm a paladin tank and as an add tank, I generally do more damage then when tanking a boss by virtue of having more mobs to hit.
When on a boss, I sit at about 1500-1600 dps.

I don't really see the point of complaining about it, though. Every bit of damage may help, but it's not my job to do large amounts of damage. It's my job to tank the boss, and I do that just fine.

Understandable, but I guess what keeps catching my attention is the DPS being put out by our other 10 man tank, who is a dk.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/gknr5ebra1lfq?s=51744-70054)

This fight is one of my higher DPS fights, at 1,840... but the dk's running with 2,778.

I don't ever expect to actually go toe to toe with a better geared dk on the dps charts, but I would like to close the gap somehow ;)

Vanthus
05-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I am a DK tank and on a single target I can get about 1400-1500 DPS in tank gear and frost presence. If you know of a DK tank doing 3k+ please link his armory so I can copy it.
On AOE I can get above 2k DPS pretty easy, but that is not really a valid comparison, especially since it depends on the size of AOE packs.

Vanthus
05-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Understandable, but I guess what keeps catching my attention is the DPS being put out by our other 10 man tank, who is a dk.

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/gknr5ebra1lfq?s=51744-70054)

This fight is one of my higher DPS fights, at 1,840... but the dk's running with 2,778.

I don't ever expect to actually go toe to toe with a better geared dk on the dps charts, but I would like to close the gap somehow ;)

I just read the stats. Your DK is using AOE attacks, and probably hitting the body and both arms at the same time.

Shox
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
I am a DK tank and on a single target I can get about 1400-1500 DPS in tank gear and frost presence. If you know of a DK tank doing 3k+ please link his armory so I can copy it.
On AOE I can get above 2k DPS pretty easy, but that is not really a valid comparison, especially since it depends on the size of AOE packs.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hellscream&n=Blackblooded)

ndb1983
05-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I wish our dps was better too, last nite in ulduar 25 my dps ran about 1400 overall, while the DK and Pally did around 18-1900. But I do not aoe as much as they do, my job is threat building on kill targets so the dps can let loose quick, and I seem to survive better on bosses so I tank most of them. We dont have a MT per se, we just use who seems to be best suited for the job, and usually with the hard hitters in ulduar it is me. That's my role to play and I enjoy it.

Exiledknight
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Not really sure what you are taking the almost 3k dps from a prot paladin from, what fight are you referring to? Also what is this person tanking in that fight? Most tanks should have either respecd/geared for survival rather than threat/dmg output. I am our guilds MT and raid leader, that being said I do not tank every boss because some fights heavily favor other classes. Fighting the deconstructor is the only boss I tank where I get close to 3k(at work now so can't link wws) and there I top out around 2.7 because we leave all melee on the heart and burn heroism then. On freya I run right around 3k as well because I have our feral druid tank her so I can AE tank. In ten mans I usually run around 1.7 and 25s right around 2. Make sure you are looking at the fight and what they are tanking, and if there are paladins pulling 3k pls link the armory because I want to see what I am doing different. Also the adds still hit hard enough for a warrior tank to go with the UA build when add tanking