PDA

View Full Version : WoW's Future

Purinna
05-04-2009, 06:28 AM
I was a full time wow player during regular wow and also during tbc. I would spend on average about 2 or 3 hours a night 5 nights a week playing wow. Since wotlk has released I have found myself being more of a part time wow player and only logging into play on raid nights as that is where i find my enjoyment with the game. Due to this I have spent less time browsing all the regular wow hangouts for information about the game and I am just curious what the game has in store for us in the future?

I can remember reading somewhere, not sure where, that wotlk would be the last time blizzard raised the level cap and I am curious if there is any information out there that this still holds true? I am also curious that if this is true are they going to continue releasing new raids as the majority of the players clear each new raid dungeon... thus increasing the gear difference between new raiders and veteren raiders?

I cant imagine that in a year or two from now, with no new major xpac's and no level cap change, that the majority of the raiding population will have advanced through raids q, r, s ,t, u, v, x, y, and z thus making new players to the game have to farm through all of those old raids just so they can get comparable gear to participate in the last couple raids with the rest of thier guild. It only seems logical that a level cap raise with a gear reset is the sensable step to take, in the long run ?

Does anyone know of any top secret information or any good speculation on what the long term goal is for the game?

Horacio
05-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I doubt they will not raise the level cap in the future because it allows them to draw new players and at the same time, allow players to change characters without a long, slow grind through content.

As far as the future goes, I'm not sure. I feel like WotLK is the best Wow has been and I'm sure they have many new things they want to try. That said, I think alot of people are starting to get bored with it and are looking for a new adventure.

Arthas and Northrend are such massive, iconic figures in Wow lore that players identify with that I think there will be a significant change in gameplay to be the star of the next expansion. Naval combat, player housing, mounted combat....something like that.

For myself personally, I'd love to see player housing. As far as content goes, I'd like to see some more content in Azeroth and expanding/enriching of current lore and locations. Additions like Gilneas and several other closed off areas would be nice. Adding high level content to the little nooks and crannies that don't recieve any exposure.....raids in Grim Batol, Uldum, Timbermaw Hold, the portal in Stormwind, perhaps.

I did not like BC. I didn't like the alien, other worldly feel to it. I'd love to see a return to Warcrafts roots but I think Blizzard feels like they have to open huge new worlds and shuffle players off to brand new content like nothing seen before.

Purinna
05-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I doubt they will not raise the level cap in the future because it allows them to draw new players and at the same time, allow players to change characters without a long, slow grind through content.

That is my main concern and back when wotlk came out I swear there was a blue post somewhere about not raising the level cap anymore. I just can't remember where and at the time it lead me to believe that the raids were going to keep getting bigger and badder, thus increasing the gap between new raiders and old raiders. This would only make new raiders spend an eternity grinding through old raids to get gear, up to par, for the new raids... as you also stated. While its fine for me and my core group of raiders it kind of sucks for any new players that want to get into the endgame content. I think not raising the level cap which also subsequently resets raid gear would spell doom for the game.. in the long run?

As far as the future goes, I'm not sure. I feel like WotLK is the best Wow has been and I'm sure they have many new things they want to try. That said, I think alot of people are starting to get bored with it and are looking for a new adventure.

Amen, many major improvments to the game in this xpac. To avoid burnout and boredom this is why I took a much more casual approach to wow after wotlk was released. The guild I am in has also adapted the attitude of taking our time and just having fun raiding a couple nights a week versus 4 or 5 nights a week as we have done in the past. While we are progressing a bit slower than the average guild through raids we are still having fun and not getting burnt out and bored with it as fast :)

Arthas and Northrend are such massive, iconic figures in Wow lore that players identify with that I think there will be a significant change in gameplay to be the star of the next expansion. Naval combat, player housing, mounted combat....something like that.

For myself personally, I'd love to see player housing. As far as content goes, I'd like to see some more content in Azeroth and expanding/enriching of current lore and locations. Additions like Gilneas and several other closed off areas would be nice. Adding high level content to the little nooks and crannies that don't recieve any exposure.....raids in Grim Batol, Uldum, Timbermaw Hold, the portal in Stormwind, perhaps.

Sweet those all souond like great additions to the game! How awesome would it be to pilot a naval ship in a pvp zone and rain down missiles on land based objectives or shoot torpedo's and cannons at other ships... I honestly cant remember the last time I took my toon to thunderbluff and ot go there for a raid would be awesome as well :)

Lizana
05-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I dont know where you heard they didnt plan on raising the level cap, but from Ghostcrawlers own posts when talking about scaling of a spell, he even referenced the next expansion and 10 more levels

Purinna
05-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I dont know where you heard they didnt plan on raising the level cap, but from Ghostcrawlers own posts when talking about scaling of a spell, he even referenced the next expansion and 10 more levels

I can't quote a source as it has been too long since I read it, which is why I posted hoping someone here would know for sure. Can you give a source for your info? Not to be confrontational or anything but me and a couple guildies have been arguing about it :D

Warwench
05-04-2009, 08:45 AM
My vision for the future of wow?

Lore :

Next big patch we take on Arthas.

Arthas lashes out and wages war on all 3 continents, we enter Icecrown to confront him (through raids) culminating in a massive battle in which we "win". We think he is defeated. at the same time, through progressive patches, War comes to Azeroth in a big big way. no where is untouched. The end result is we win the Icecrown fight, but lose the bigger war. The refugee's make it through the portal to outlands and shut down the portal.

After that is the new Patch. We explore the maelstrom to escape arthas' wrath .. we are banished to outlands. All new toons created start in outlands, at level 55 at refugee camps and go through a similar starting area type experience to the Death knights. Our old world is off limits to us... our homeland gone.

this sets the stage for several technical changes.

#1 - new client that comes in both hires and lowres (current) versions.
#2 - the old world would be "offlimits", allowing the developers to completely rework it to support phasing and flying.

the next lot of mini patches/expansions are us retaking our homland, bit by bit.. rediscovering all the old zones.. re taking all theold dungeons (now in normal, heroic, normal raid, heroic raid versions).. and generally kicking ass.

fade to black, cue next gen MMO from blizard.

that's how i'd do it.

Mhoram
05-04-2009, 09:20 AM
That's more what I think they'd have to do if WoW2 ever came out. I can't believe they'd be able to do something that large in content patches. Besides which, they'd have to totally redesign Outland, and we know how they are about revisiting old content.

There's still plenty of stuff out there on Azeroth to explore and defeat, and I remember them saying that the Outland we've been to may not be the only part that big out there... So there's probably plenty of stuff left to do.

Ashel
05-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Had a discussion along these lines in vent one night during a raid:

I could see us venturing into the Maelstrom to combat a rise in Naga activity following the defeat of Arthas and the near eradication of the scourge. After that, the corruption of the Emerald Dream starts bleeding through, threatening the stability of the entire world. At some point we kill Nozdormu for spawning the Infinite Dragonflight, likely at the same time we clean up the Emerald Dream. Then we start to chase the Burning Legion across the galaxy, reclaiming the Draenei homeworld.

Warwench
05-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Had a discussion along these lines in vent one night during a raid:

I could see us venturing into the Maelstrom to combat a rise in Naga activity following the defeat of Arthas and the near eradication of the scourge. After that, the corruption of the Emerald Dream starts bleeding through, threatening the stability of the entire world. At some point we kill Nozdormu for spawning the Infinite Dragonflight, likely at the same time we clean up the Emerald Dream. Then we start to chase the Burning Legion across the galaxy, reclaiming the Draenei homeworld.

sounds like the wow version of the War on Terror.. lol

Mierzei
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Actually i heard about someone who found maps and location names, as well as sub-zones names and lvls in early WoW alpha, first xpac was called "outland set" and second "northrend set", names of locations actualy MATCH that what we have here, unfortunately i don't remember source.

*SPOILER! SHIELD SLAM YOUR MONITOR BEFORE YOU'LL CLICK LINK BELOW*

World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King - Burning Crusade @ WorldofWar.Net (http://wow.incgamers.com/blog/comments/where-in-azeroth-will-the-next-expansion-be)

1st comment below article is list of sets and zones in those, actually news seems to be posted before WotLK beta if i remember correctly and zones match what we have now.

Lizana
05-04-2009, 10:25 AM
can't quote a source as it has been too long since I read it, which is why I posted hoping someone here would know for sure. Can you give a source for your info? Not to be confrontational or anything but me and a couple guildies have been arguing about it

MMO-Champion BlueTracker - The New Innervate: Some Simple Math (http://blue.mmo-champion.com/27/16473916537-the-new-innervate-some-simple-math.html)

Thats the post and heres the quote

We don't think the lack of scaling at level 80 is going to be any kind of problem unless we introduced say 5 more tiers of content without also bumping the level cap. We aren't going to do that.

And i mis said in my first post, it doesnt talk about 10 more levels but it does talk about raising the level cap

Lizana
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Actually i heard about someone who found maps and location names, as well as sub-zones names and lvls in early WoW alpha, first xpac was called "outland set" and second "northrend set", names of locations actualy MATCH that what we have here, unfortunately i don't remember source.

*SPOILER! SHIELD SLAM YOUR MONITOR BEFORE YOU'LL CLICK LINK BELOW*

World of Warcraft - Wrath of the Lich King - Burning Crusade @ WorldofWar.Net (http://wow.incgamers.com/blog/comments/where-in-azeroth-will-the-next-expansion-be)

1st comment below article is list of sets and zones in those, actually news seems to be posted before WotLK beta if i remember correctly and zones match what we have now.

Back before BC launch there were dozens of those "secret lists" And honstly it doesnt take a genius to figure out that at some point were going to go to the maelstrom and to the emerald dream.

Heck I remember when northrend was supposed to be in original wow, along with the emerald dream. They still have plenty of places to go without actually adding any new landmasses to the game.

Volador
05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
One of the key things about WoW has been the ability to revisit content. I don't think they will do anything that makes anything unplayable. I don't have an official source, but I've heard thier end goal is 2 more expacs and level 100 as the cap.

As far as catching folks up to current content that are starting from scratch. They have already done that. The new players are not doing it, but those of us that want to get a new character to 80 just have to push. Those with the drive and ambition can get from 1 to 80 within a couple of weeks. That's not taking into account RAF bonus. For those that are interested in that, it costs $5 extra for a month of RAF service. In one months time you can have an account full of level 60s, I know I did. It also increases Blizzard's revenue, so win win for them. Keeping players happy and getting more money.

I can't see them changing the methodology of old content when new content is released. Lowering difficulty in almost every way. Easier to level, easier to do the instances, etc.

Durandro
05-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Old Ironforge would be nice. Considering they've already got parts of it in the game already that we aren't allowed to see.

And yeah, Grim Batol, Gilneas, etc. They are in good positions to have a zone purely for housing a Raid (i.e. Deadwind Pass).

Taninor
05-04-2009, 01:26 PM
My vision for the future of wow?

Lore :

Next big patch we take on Arthas.

Arthas lashes out and wages war on all 3 continents, we enter Icecrown to confront him (through raids) culminating in a massive battle in which we "win". We think he is defeated. at the same time, through progressive patches, War comes to Azeroth in a big big way. no where is untouched. The end result is we win the Icecrown fight, but lose the bigger war. The refugee's make it through the portal to outlands and shut down the portal.

After that is the new Patch. We explore the maelstrom to escape arthas' wrath .. we are banished to outlands. All new toons created start in outlands, at level 55 at refugee camps and go through a similar starting area type experience to the Death knights. Our old world is off limits to us... our homeland gone.

this sets the stage for several technical changes.

#1 - new client that comes in both hires and lowres (current) versions.
#2 - the old world would be "offlimits", allowing the developers to completely rework it to support phasing and flying.

the next lot of mini patches/expansions are us retaking our homland, bit by bit.. rediscovering all the old zones.. re taking all theold dungeons (now in normal, heroic, normal raid, heroic raid versions).. and generally kicking ass.

fade to black, cue next gen MMO from blizard.

that's how i'd do it.

this is a great idea, i love it.

Zartanchi
05-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Maybe it happend and I didn't notice because I was relatively fresh to the game, but with BC there didn't seem to be as many people "bored" that quickly. I probably didn't notice it. I think Kara was much harder of a progression than Naxx, then gruul's and the others kept people busy for awhile.

I would imagine the next expansion will be announced at the upcoming Blizzcon much like Wrath was in 2007; similar timing. Where that will go I'm not sure, but I'm all for what people have suggested with opening Gilneas, Ulduum and Grim Batol. Also, developing Azhara for the love of God would be nice. At least one more flight path and more questing there would be nice.

adamb10
05-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I think the level cap will be raised. Further more I think they'll probobly cap it at around 100 or so before they find alternative means to make our characters more powerful. Blizzard is treading on a dangerous path with the level cap. When a newbie joins the game and finds out he has to ding 80 or 90 times you can bet that may turn him off, even with the triple experience thing and future leveling nerfs.

With the triple experience and DK's getting to avoid the old world altogether I can see blizzard just allowing anyone to create a level 55 character straight up and do a DK like questline to accumulate talent points, gear, etc and get to outland. At the same time does Blizzard really want to make zones like the barrens, stranglethorn Vale, Hillsbrad ghost towns? The old world is quite beautiful(I was bored one night and strolled from Undercity to stranglethorn vale on my ground mount for the heck of it) and just needs some refreshing, maybe improve the art textures, add some new villages, quest givers and that sort of thing. I read somewhere blizzard was planning on redesigning Barrens(they didnt like you lvl from 12-20ish then come back for 25-30).

What about outland too? I've leveled 6 characters through it and I'm sick of it. I imagine northrend will be the same too once i get around to leveling.

I think the only thing that will kill WoW is WoW. 1 bad expansion or 2 and the game will start losing subscribers and go downhill from there like everquest.

Nighthorror
05-05-2009, 06:59 AM
One word to rule them all (DEATHWING)

Sysmon
05-05-2009, 09:59 AM
What about outland too? I've leveled 6 characters through it and I'm sick of it. I imagine northrend will be the same too once i get around to leveling

I seem to have a organic macro of sorts wired into my brain for Outland, my toons go through that place and I hardly remember what I did there. We still do Tempest Keep and CoT stuff for fun in my guild, so the content isn't completely dead.

After taking my 5th toon through the Wrathgate quests, I must admit to some level of burnout on that long and pointless Battle for Undercity fight. Fortunately, there seems to be enough quest to do in WotLK that each of my 4 80s could take different paths, and my two upcoming mid-70s also have new things to do. Good job on getting Northrend to be an interesting place to be, Blizz. Sad the rest of Azeroth passes by so fast, though.

What about a southern continent? A WoW version of Antarctica, perhaps with it's own Mountains of Madness and entrances to a vast underground complex of new and exciting mind-searing horrors? Blizz, who seems to like recycling old material, could recycle Diablo content there...

Or maybe I just played too much Moria and Telengard a long time ago.

:D S

adamb10
05-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm calling the next expansion out. You read it here first:

The culling of the maelstrom.

Thats going to be the exact title.

Mhoram
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
What about a southern continent? A WoW version of Antarctica, perhaps with it's own Mountains of Madness and entrances to a vast underground complex of new and exciting mind-searing horrors? Blizz, who seems to like recycling old material, could recycle Diablo content there...

Or maybe I just played too much Moria and Telengard a long time ago.

:D S

Interesting, but I doubt they'd want to do another cold climate expansion any time soon. (Although Northrend was less cold and snowy than the trailers and such led me to believe it would be.) People would just accuse them of repeating themselves.

Lizana
05-05-2009, 12:02 PM

Southrend?

Zartanchi
05-05-2009, 06:23 PM
Southrend?

I lol'd

Sysmon
05-06-2009, 06:03 AM
lol @ Southrend too.

Or WoW - Battleships! Raiding takes a new direction with War Outriggers - 5-man sail-bearing ships meant to battle each other or board larger vessels. 10-man ram-wielding War Canoes with 2 people at the dual rudders (one in each end or 2 in the same end depending on turning tactics) and 8 rowers. Or the 25-man Brigs, carrying a series of cannons and a regiment of buccanneers in addition to the usual sea crew. And reintroducing the 40-man as crew on the monstrous Dreadnaughts capable of taking on coastal fortifications (goodbye, Stormwind)...

In addition to be able to explore little known seaways around Azeroth (yes, I played too much Zelda in my days), players may discover a hitherto unknown archipelago between Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms, populated by descendants of the elves (alliance) and a race of centaurs (horde).

... :D S

Mookey
05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
My thinking:
3.2 Some troll related patch with Gundrak (ZG/ZA comeback)
3.3 Maybe some Azjol Nerub related instance + lot of pvp changes (since pvpers will be bored by now)
3.4 Icecrown
3.5 Caverns of time final showdown - defeat Nozdormu

What else to do in Wow?
Get lvl 90 - get in emerald dream and wake up druids
Get lvl 100 - start moving over water, help goblins extend their business, defeat Ashara and finally defeat Sargeras...

Game over -> next gen mmo.

Sparrta
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
If they keep raising the lvl cap its gonna be a terrible time lvling up a toon whether its a alt or your just starting the game. They did it the last two expansions but who knows. Hopefully it will be in everyones best interest what ever they do.

Molohk
06-04-2009, 03:19 PM
I can't find the link, but there was a blue post (IIRC) stating that Blizzard did not intend to raise the level cap with every expansion. IMO they just don't want to commit to a specific model for expanding the game, because they don't know what may happen in the future. We all know that Blizzard is developing a new MMO, so they probably just don't want to burn any bridges in case they want to migrate player base from WoW to the new MMO. Lets face it, considering WoW had 62% market share on MMOs, and most people don't really play two MMOs in the long term, that means a new MMO would have to either tap into a new market (unlikely) or construct a player base with WoW players mostly. Meaning Blizzard probably does not intend on developing new MMOs and mantaining the current expansion model on every MMO they release forever.

That being said, there's really nothing preventing them from adding 200 levels, as long as they make adjustments so it doesn't take too long to level from lvl 1 to level cap.