PDA

View Full Version : Tricky Situation

Baelaron
04-29-2009, 11:49 PM
My guild is in a bit of odd situation at the moment and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys and see what you think.

I joined my guild about 3 weeks after WotLK released. They seemed a motivated and competent lot and more or less that was the truth.

However, the GM of the guild has been unable to play since before I joined, due to quite serious real life issues I completely understand. So the MT of the guild was, with the help of the officers (of which there was 5 at the time), the defacto guild leader, which was working fine.

Then about 2-3 months ago, he stopped playing due to real life and burnout (Naxx every week can make your eyes bleed). On top of that, his girlfriend was also an officer and she doesn't like to play much without him, so now we are down to 4 officers. Thankfully one of them was already helping with GM duties when the MT quit, so it was a smooth transition.

So next, one officer has to stop playing regularly because of a change in real life work situation, so she can't be on much anymore. Follow this up with another officer quitting due to a combination of burnout on naxx / frustration with the way our raids were turning out.

So what we have now is 2 officers, neither of which have full GM rights in the guild or guild bank. Hats off to them they have done a great job of holding things together and our Ulduar raids are progressing nicely inspite of all this going on. However, based on the judgement of one of the officers, the GM nor the MT are likely to give up the GM rights of the guild, even on a tempory basis.

I now MT for the guild, which is fine as I've been an MT for the last 2 years. However, I find I'm slowly being asked to weigh in on guild matters. I've GM'd two guilds and officered in two more, and I kinda liked the idea of not being responsible for everything in this guild.

Anyways, I wanted to ask for advice or ideas; what should I do, what should the 2 leftover officers do? I / they have some ideas but I wanted to see what you guys come up with.

law90026
04-30-2009, 12:32 AM
If you don't want to be involved in officer/guild stuff, then don't. That's one of the surest ways to kill your interest in the game or the guild.

Here's the next question: Why do you guys need GM rights? I'm assuming officers can invite and that's normally the main thing. Can officers remove members?

Re the bank: If you really really need a bank, start an alt bank and use it for guild purposes. Make sure it's transparent so no one can accuse you or whoever is in charge of being dirty.

Fayre
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
If you don't want to be involved in the officer stuff, don't be. But you might lose the guild if someone doesn't pick up the reins. There must be other people around who want to see the guild succeed and are prepared to work for it. Find them.

RialÚv
05-05-2009, 01:45 AM
My guild is in a bit of odd situation at the moment and I thought I'd bounce it off you guys and see what you think.

I joined my guild about 3 weeks after WotLK released. They seemed a motivated and competent lot and more or less that was the truth.

However, the GM of the guild has been unable to play since before I joined, due to quite serious real life issues I completely understand. So the MT of the guild was, with the help of the officers (of which there was 5 at the time), the defacto guild leader, which was working fine.

Then about 2-3 months ago, he stopped playing due to real life and burnout (Naxx every week can make your eyes bleed). On top of that, his girlfriend was also an officer and she doesn't like to play much without him, so now we are down to 4 officers. Thankfully one of them was already helping with GM duties when the MT quit, so it was a smooth transition.

So next, one officer has to stop playing regularly because of a change in real life work situation, so she can't be on much anymore. Follow this up with another officer quitting due to a combination of burnout on naxx / frustration with the way our raids were turning out.

So what we have now is 2 officers, neither of which have full GM rights in the guild or guild bank. Hats off to them they have done a great job of holding things together and our Ulduar raids are progressing nicely inspite of all this going on. However, based on the judgement of one of the officers, the GM nor the MT are likely to give up the GM rights of the guild, even on a tempory basis.

I now MT for the guild, which is fine as I've been an MT for the last 2 years. However, I find I'm slowly being asked to weigh in on guild matters. I've GM'd two guilds and officered in two more, and I kinda liked the idea of not being responsible for everything in this guild.

Anyways, I wanted to ask for advice or ideas; what should I do, what should the 2 leftover officers do? I / they have some ideas but I wanted to see what you guys come up with.

This sounds like it could quite possibly lead to one of two things. So far from how you described it, your current officers and those who continue to play seem to be a pretty tight formation.

Either it will succeed in making it a much much tighter structure despite their being a hole in current hierarchy. But it quite clearly shows the ability for the other officers to pick up where things were left off. Which shows your GM's ability to choose officers well.

The next thing it could possibly lead to, is an over exhertion of your current standing leadership. If they are trying to pick up with limited resources, it could very well lead to a slow and painful process of a structural collapse.

In this case I'd very much suggest doing some quick preventative damage control before that possibility becomes a reality. If you need a bank, make an alt bank until yours becomes available again.

If your officers can at least recruit/remove members you should be in good order. Perhaps they cannot promote and I assume they have very limited bank authority. But if it is how you describe it would seem your guild is already doing what is necessary to keep things in good order.

minrog
05-06-2009, 02:16 PM
If the GM, Main Tank and 50%+ of the Officers leave the game it is time to make a new guild. If the GM had promoted another person before he quit it would be different but as it is you/the guild are in limbo and have no control over what happens. I'm surprised you have been able to keep recruiting because when the GM is gone indefinitely it's one of those huge warning signals for implosion.

Just look at the the absence scenario as a cancer that has already consumed a good chunk of your guild's leadership. If you take one of those roles you'll probably end up getting hit with it too so I'd be cautious about investing any effort. The only option I can see to save the guild is to get the GM to cede ownership to someone else or to come back and run things; 8 months is too long to not have the guild leader logged in. It doesn't sound likely that will happen so I'd figure out which of the Officers that hasn't quit the game is strong enough to run his own guild and move on that way.

orcstar
05-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Our guildmaster went gone with the wind and I ticketed a gamemaster about it. They told me they could do something about it after the guildmaster not logging in for 1 month.

So after 1 month I ticketed again and got instantly gm-ed. (I was officer just below gm rank that time.)

So if your GM doesn't log in at all an officer below his rank can get control of the guild.

Baelaron
05-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

As for not involving myself in officer/guild leadership, I see it much as finding someone injured on the side of the road. Some people won't help, others will. I would prefer that my help wasn't needed, but I can't leave it be while help is needed. Might seem odd behaviour to some, but there you are.

We did finally manage to get the GM to log on and transfer leadership rights, and our raids are coming together again, in part thanks to some well picked new recruits and because old players are returning now that they see we're getting back to our old form (gotta love fair-weather friends huh?). It's still early days but I think the guild may survive despite it all.

Martie
05-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Have your officers ticket the Game Masters.

If your guild leader stays missing in action, they will transfer leadership to an officer.

That should solve one problem.

As for the other problem, it's hard - being the MT and having a leadership role go hand in hand, so perhaps you could accept some responsibility (like leading the raids), but make clear that that's all the responsibility you want.
If they try to force more on you, draw the lines.

It sounds to me like you are one of those natural leader type folks, and that you'll get stuck with responsibility wherever you go. But remember, responsibility is not forced on people, you choose it.

Fayre
05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Good luck Baelaron. Hope it works out for you and your guild :)

fullmetalcow
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Or you could reform the guild. If the GM isn't around, but you have some good officers, all quit and reform under a new name. Invite (almost) everyone who was in the old guild. That way you have control, but can also change any of the "rules" or philosophy that was contributing to the burn out.