PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Thorim

Ciderhelm
04-25-2009, 06:31 PM
o4__jtI--N0

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

25-man: There are a few additional notes for the 25-man version that we found helpful in our clears.

Hallway

We took a smaller group of players into the hallway than we left in the Arena. We were able to successfully clear the hallway with just a single Paladin healer, though a second made it a lot smoother.
We had a single person calling out on ventrilo the left and right so the rest of us could pay attention to adds.
We used mages for sheeping the Guards while Acolytes were being brought down. Guards have an AOE knockdown, which was mentioned in the movie, but made it especially important for us to use ranged classes in the hall.
The first Runic mini-boss will not Charge if everyone stays in melee range of him during the encounter.
At the end of the hallway we had a healer run down to help in the Arena while we cleaned up a couple guards; this aggro'd Thorim and started Phase 3 even though the healer had not engaged Thorim. In other words, simply running and jumping off should complete this phase.

Arena

In the Arena we stacked as many AOE classes and healers as possible. We used Rogue AOE interrupts to help reduce damage and disarms on the Vrykul to prevent Whirlwinds.
We kept the Vrykul clearly away from everything else to prevent Whirlwind from killing nearby players unexpectedly.

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html
Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html
Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread

Casz
04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
He's really hard on HC :) they didnt try to make this one easy.

Fayre
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Agreed, this was balanced a lot harder on the heroic. The mobs with knockdowns in the gauntlet and the fast respawn rate up to the second mini-boss proved pretty tricky, and the arena team, while stable enough for a while, seemed to get a lot of mobs very fast. We got him in the end, but the 25 man notes helped us a lot.

Echo
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Best strat is to overload the arena with dps, have 2/3 tanks tanking everything near the middle, and nuke the shit out of everything.

Have just enough dps in the gauntlet for them to reach thorim within 30 seconds or less of his enrage. If you get there erlier than that 30 second window, subtract a dps and see where you stand afterwards.

The fight is one big trial and error pain in the ass... especially from a tanks point of view. Being able to pick everything up with 8 fps on my end wasnt easy.

Note: One thing the mages in the gauntlet did was sheep the first two mobs at the bottom of the last stairwell and rushed up to the second giant golem. Just have a tank pick them up after they run all the way back to the arena once Thorim is engaged, and its a nice time saver.

Kasath
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
In the 10-man, when I engaged the second mini-boss in the hallway, he stopped summoning adds.

In the 25-man, he kept spawning them after I engaged him. Is this normal? I'd love to hear suggestions on dealing with that, I had a lot of trouble. I'd get knocked down while tanking the second boss and get wrecked.

Casz
04-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Kasath, he shouldn't spawn adds when you engage the second mini-boss :)

Roarc
04-27-2009, 07:42 AM
We did the 10 man version this weekend and he was pretty much a walk in the park after getting a grip of things. Look a few tries but then we nailed it the first time Thorim actually was engaged.

We tried 25 man yesterday however and had some issues to say the least. Not sure if we where poorly balanced but the arena seemed to run us over. We're going back there for a serious look tonight but where a bit stunned at the difference compared to 10 man. 3 tanks seemed more stable but around the 3 min emote (hard mode marker) we more or less got over-run.

Should one have more dps out in the arena and let the tunnel-group move a bit slower perhaps?

Squashed
04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Its a catch22 - the faster you move through the gauntlet (aka more DPS) the fewer the amount of adds you need to deal with. But doing that makes the DPS in the 'pit' less, so there is more chance of being overrun.

We 2-shot 10man and then wiped 2-4 times in 25 before moving to do Emalon. As the MT for the pit section my plan is to make a macro that targets adds in the order of danger, that way I can press 1 button to switch to that target, toss a quick skull on them, taunt and then start my rotation to include t-clap etc.

One big thing to stress to all the DPS in the pit, they need to choose their targets extremely carefully, and if they all focus your target, it should make it so you have 4-5 guys up at any given time and not 9-10 guys with ~50% health.

Mahntor
04-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Does this mean that a druid makes by far the best boss tank for Thorim since they don't need defense?

Roarc
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Well a druid has the following talent:

Survival of the Fittest
Increases all attributes by 6%, reduces the chance you'll be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%, and increases your armor contribution from cloth and leather items in Bear Form and Dire Bear Form by 33%.

The special strike the boss does reduces defence by 200 which thus will increase your chance to get critically hit, even if a bear.

MonkH
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
any1 got any tips with dealing with so many adds in 25man version?

im used to using nameplates but soo many commoners its quite hard wish i could stop commoners nameplates showing up, im finding it helping to keep turning it on and off any1 got more tuos that might help?

Vokail
04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
What we did on 25 man was that 10 people went for the hallway and the rest was stacked on top of the two tanks in the very middle of the arena. We kept aoeing everything down and when the Champion spawned one previously designated tank was to call it on Vent and single-target tank him so the dps warrior could disarm to prevent whirlwind and the rest would nuke him down on first priority then continue to aoe. Works like a charm.

jaydee
04-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Did this the other day on 10 and to be honest, the hard part of this fight is keeping the teams in the arena, and the ones going through the gauntlet, alive.

I was assigned to tank in the arena (Frost DK) and for our group, we decided to just keep ourselves within the circle in the middle of the arena. Whenever big groups of adds spawn, we tell everyone to hold off on AoE so I can snap-aggro all of them with a glyphed Howling Blast followed by 2x Blood Boils. Then they let all hell break loose.

For the gauntlet group, we had 1 tank, 1 heals and 2 ranged dps.

The actual fight with Thorim himself is the easy part. Tanks just need to watch out for Unbalancing Strikes. Let your tanks alternate on unbalancing strikes - Tank A gets unbalancing strike, Tank B taunts, then Tank A waits to taunt until Tank B gets the strike.

First our approach was let Tank A get the strike, Tank B taunt off, Tank A taunts off immediately as soon as the debuff fades from him. The problem here is, as soon as Tank A gets Thorim back (freshly taunted) and gets hit with the Unbalancing Strike, Thorim is still within the Taunt-immune window since he's just been taunted off so Tank B can't get aggro, leaving Thorim stuck on Tank A, with Tank A vulnerable because of the debuff. DON'T DO THIS!

Other than that, Thorim's easy :)

Jericho
04-28-2009, 04:58 AM
We are currently having several issues with completing this encounter.

At the end of the hallway we had a healer run down to help in the Arena while we cleaned up a couple guards; this aggro'd Thorim and started Phase 3 even though the healer had not engaged Thorim. In other words, simply running and jumping off should complete this phase.

Our hallway team has become very good at completing the hallway. However, as we finish we usually have 2-3 Iron Guards alive as the giant dies. We have been all running off and letting the sheep pop and then killing them when they arrive at the gate. We are currently more worried about the forcefield that appears up above after Thorim is engaged. Does anyone know at what point this forcefield appears?

Our real issue however, is DPS on Thorim himself. We are having our tanks instagibbed with 15k+ melee hits followed by Unbalanced Blows of 30k+ less than .03 seconds later. How man are people dealing with this? I want to say that this may be a DPS issue. We are trying to squeeze as much dps as we can, however getting extremely close only to wipe because of whats basically a series of instagibs is frustrating.

Murdog
04-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Here is a look at the 10 man hard mode version

YouTube - SR Thorim 10 Hard Mode

ill post the DL link once i upload it if ppl want. Its not the cleanest kill but its a kill none the less :P and watch in HD and the quality is good.

Juts noticed for video purpose's i should zoom in more >.< me other video's will be better havent made to many :P

ttocs
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
For phase 2, since we have two tanks, we just have one tank taunt off the other with Unbalancing Strike in heroic.

Also, for Heroic I switch to an Unholy AoE spec (I'm doing the arena as Frost in the video), because all of the passive, consistent AoE of unholy makes the arena much easier. On that one I tank all of the adds, while we have a prot warrior taunt (vigilance on me) the champions out of the group so the ranged can finish him off.

Muffin Man
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Stupid question: does the encounter reset if you take the entire raid into the hallway?

While, I'm at it, I had a few academic questions:
could you combine defense and resilience high enough that you were still uncritable after the unbalancing strike (course if you have two tanks anyways, why bother)?

and has it been confirmed that unbalancing strike makes you vulnerable to crushing blows?

Jericho
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Stupid question: does the encounter reset if you take the entire raid into the hallway?

While, I'm at it, I had a few academic questions:
could you combine defense and resilience high enough that you were still uncritable after the unbalancing strike (course if you have two tanks anyways, why bother)?

and has it been confirmed that unbalancing strike makes you vulnerable to crushing blows?

If no one is left alive in the Arena, Thorim will launch an instant death "Big Ball of Lightning" down through the tunnel.

In order to get your defense/resilience high enough to straight tank him, you'd have other huge survival issues. That is if you could even get enough of both to counter the 200 defense skill loss.

Unbalanced strike has NOTHING to do with crushing blows. The Crushing Blows mechanic is based solely on level disparity not defense skill.

Gither
04-29-2009, 08:04 AM
I notice that you have SCT. How do you get, the damage that you do yourself, down on the side of the Icehud, or what it is...?

Muffin Man
04-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Unbalanced strike has NOTHING to do with crushing blows. The Crushing Blows mechanic is based solely on level disparity not defense skill.

*cough* http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/46623-tanking-topics-4-cooldowns.html#post188204

Crushing Blows are in fact calculated by your *base* defense skill and the mobs weapon skill.

I was actually skeptical of Satrina's conclusion that this would leave us open to Crushing Blows, but since Unbalanced strike reduces your defense skill not rating I can see his argument. I'm just wondering if anyone's been able to verify it one way or the other?

Jericho
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
This was the case in the past. However, like Satrina says in the post this is information based on what we knew in TBC before the changes made to crushing blows.

He also say that based on information we knew then, that the loss of 200 defense would push you into the realm of every not avoided or blocked hit would be a crushing blow. This is not what we have observed while completing this encounter. We are being crit but not crushed. So Satrina's "If nothing has changed..." statement is just that. Things have obviously changed. If things were like we knew in the past, we would be seeing crushes and not crits while under this debuff.

In order to see if things are indeed the same we would need to actually work with lower levels, and because it was our unmodified base defense skill in question, and not our modified (rating enhanced skill) that was being used for the old crush calculations, this hypothesis is not easily tested.

Basically, I was wrong when I said it was based solely on level disparity and not skill, however the statement is still correct. The system is based on your base defense skill which your level is the sole factor to determine this. What you need to remember is that even though you may be 540+ defense, because your gear has rating that improves your base skill level, the system only uses your base to determine crushing blows. If it used your enhanced skill level, there would be no reason to worry about them at all.

Darksend
04-30-2009, 09:11 PM
I as druid have been crushed by thorim's adds (dark rune warbringer) while under the effects of US.

Not sure how that fits into the whole crit vs crush thing but there it is.

Thok
05-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Honestly on 10man we didn't even bother alternating tanks. With Thorim on about 50% someone finally bothered reading the US debuff and said something. Tank damage didn't seem to be spiking much so we just kept doing what we were doing till he died.

Darksend
05-01-2009, 04:21 AM
The problem I have personally found with alternating tanks is if I taunt as soon as tank a gets hit, the healers are still healing him, he has things like earth shield and inspiration etc and even though i do not have the debuff, I am the one hitting my cooldowns not the person actually hit by the strike. Which is not a healer problem because the strike is on a cooldown system that it can land any time after it comes off cooldown so its not something you can switch a healer or two off of early because then the tank eating it will not be topped and killed by it when it does finally happen.

Don't know about 10 man however as I have only done it hard mode in 10, but it seems like you would not have enough external cooldowns (GS, sac, etc) although maybe you wont need them.

Lapeeno
05-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Stupid Question maby, but did anyone try to Divine Intervene someone just behind Thorim to start the event quickly next time :P?

Ray
05-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Ok, so we finally figured out the balance needed to get through the tunnel/arena and get thorim active, but then end up pretty much hitting the enrage timer.

Things we did that I think caused the issue:

1. we had a resto druid sprint to thorim as the last miniboss was killed. The rest of the group would then follow in about 15 to 30 sec later (depending on speed enchants and blink). This is prolly some of the issue, but we wanted to stop the adds coming as the arena is just about over run at this point.

2. We did have a few more melee than I would have liked, we had 9 melee including OTs. We had the OTs and 2 melee stay out of melee range to keep the CL damage manageable. I think one thing we could do to help is to get 2 groups of clumped melee and treat it like KT?? Does this work well, even with all the boss shifting/tank switches?

I am just trying to understand how we are so far off the DPS requirements of the fight. I mean, he essentially is getting to 16 stack (18 is hard enrage) with about 15 - 17% left. Does anyone have a WWS of a kill so I can see the difference in DPS and see what I need to change? It just seems that either were doing something really wrong or hes tuned just slightly out of our gearing reach (most DPS not in full BIS).

Nexty
05-02-2009, 04:46 PM
This was the case in the past. However, like Satrina says in the post this is information based on what we knew in TBC before the changes made to crushing blows.

He also say that based on information we knew then, that the loss of 200 defense would push you into the realm of every not avoided or blocked hit would be a crushing blow. This is not what we have observed while completing this encounter. We are being crit but not crushed. So Satrina's "If nothing has changed..." statement is just that. Things have obviously changed. If things were like we knew in the past, we would be seeing crushes and not crits while under this debuff.

There is another debuff in WoTLK that reduces defense skill. Amanitar down in Ahn'kahet casts Minidropping defense skill by 500. While under the effects of Mini I have been crushed. In fact first time I did that boss I had no idea how the mushroom worked and ate several crushes and crits. Still no idea how we actually managed to live through that.

So unless 3.1 changed defense and it's relationship with crushes, which I'd have though they'd announce as it is sort of a thing, it's more likely that Thorim simply can't crush.

Lyco
05-04-2009, 02:13 PM
We had the same issue. When he's around 20% HP the stack get so high that the tanks just get 1 shotted, even though our DPS is good for XT002 prenerf.
I'm thinking it might be we need to MC more Warbringers.

Lore
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
So unless 3.1 changed defense and it's relationship with crushes, which I'd have though they'd announce as it is sort of a thing, it's more likely that Thorim simply can't crush.

This. The only change to crushing blows is that a boss's attack skill needs to beat your base defense skill by 20 instead of 15 (this usually means they need to be 4 levels above you instead of 3).

Easy way to test this: Log onto a sub-80 character, go fight something that's 4 levels higher than you. You'll eat crushes.

deafnite
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
We attempted this boss tonight on 10 man. Raid build was as follows

Tank;
2 X Paladins (1 slightly better geared than other)
DPS;
DK
Warlock
Ret Paladin
Enhance Shaman
Hunter
Healers;
Holy Priest
Resto Druid
Resto Shaman

We struggled in the arena in Phase 2, DPS seemed to die due to healers dyeing. It improved when DPs protected the healers.

Arena, Pala Tank, Warlock, Hunter, Ret Pala, Holy Priest, Resto Shaman.

Rest of the raid did the corridor. This group had no problem with the gauntlet and hit hard mode timer (maybe too efficient)

Is there any advice for survivability or tactic on handling the trash in Phase 2 for the arena? Maybe a different config? (we can also provide DK Tank, additional ret pala, another anhance or resto shaman, die to alts and dual spec)

Many thanks

Aggromachine
05-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Ok, so we finally figured out the balance needed to get through the tunnel/arena and get thorim active, but then end up pretty much hitting the enrage timer.)

I am just trying to understand how we are so far off the DPS requirements of the fight. I mean, he essentially is getting to 16 stack (18 is hard enrage) with about 15 - 17% left. Does anyone have a WWS of a kill so I can see the difference in DPS and see what I need to change? It just seems that either were doing something really wrong or hes tuned just slightly out of our gearing reach (most DPS not in full BIS).

This was also our case last night. Our DPS could not get him down fast enough before the "soft" enrage. Can someone post a 25-man kill from their WWS or any report for comparison? Need some clarification on what the dps requirements are for Thorim. We're definetly missing something.

Thanks.

Squashed
05-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Same with our group, 15-25% left before he was one-shotting all of the tanks. We chocked it up to people dying during the pre-boss phases and using heroism before we engage the boss (hero'd to get past the overwhelming pit adds)

Soraan
05-06-2009, 11:16 PM
We're having a similiar problem with us dying around 15-18%, but personally I think it's because we have too many melee and chain lightning owns them even when they stack up like KT. Does anyone have a recommended number of melee to actually have on the boss at the end?

We had some issues with people dying in the arena at first, but we changed our kill order somewhat and the arena isn't a huge problem anymore. It's just basically as soon as we engage Thorim, a few melee tend to drop dead due to chain lightning. Should the tanks be moving to avoid the lightning charged orbs as well? We told them to with us, but that would often lead with the melee trying to reposition and during that, a bad chain lightning would hit like 6+ and kill the last 2-3 of the group. It's frustrating. :(

Any tips would be appreciated.

Edit: 25man Thorim, I mean.

Biggeorge
05-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Hello,

I juste wanted to know which programme do you use to film in high quality? :D

Avandar
05-10-2009, 02:09 PM
What kill order do people use in arena that seem to work out the best and result in the least amount of trouble?

shez
05-10-2009, 08:06 PM
What kill order do people use in arena that seem to work out the best and result in the least amount of trouble?

we kill evokers first then champions.

Darksend
05-11-2009, 12:46 AM

champions then warbringers ignore evokers they die to aoe

Wesclorck
05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
In 25 man, go after champions first.

Medlimar
05-12-2009, 06:28 AM
What UI and additional add ons are you using? I like the simplicity of it and it looks very functional.

huhcio
05-19-2009, 11:26 PM
just a hint if you can afford it, get a rogue in your raid preferably with skilled FoK, put him in arena,and voila- your problems with DPS /healers dying just ended.

feisty
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
I would like some suggestions or/and help please:

1.Thorim 10man

2.Raid Compositon
tank: Druid, Paladin
ranged DPS: 2xHunter, Warlock, Mage
melee DPS: Warrior
Healers: Shaman, Druid, Priest

1st few tries (overwhelmed in Arena, bad positioning - ranged was standing outside the circle and getting zapped by orb charges)

we finally decided on Feral tank, Furry War, 2xHealers and 2xranged in Arena...and Pally tank, 2xhunters and shammy healer in the hallway; and we just had too many problems staying alive (not swarmed by adds or oneshotted by whirlwind from the Champion). We almost made it on the last try before the reset night, but the hallway team got caught in the "bubble trap" 10secs before Arena team started to get overwhelmed. The strat that worked for us best was me, feral drood, picking up adds and standing on one side of the little circle while the rest of the raid was standing on the other side of the little circle in the middle of the room (problem:when adds start spawning and there is 5+adds in the room its tough to keep the adds away from the raid...I was runing back and forth in the little circle because ranged got aggro by default; all that resulted in raid&mobs getting clumped together...that would be ok if not for the occasional WW from the Champion=wipe). We focused on Evokers because their heals are too great and we couldn't aoe the rest of the mobs down if we didn't nuke him soon and hard...it left us with little time to find Champion among 5+mobs. We are keeping our heads up for around 3mins, then things get very hectic; I just keep spaming mangle-swipe combo, running to-and-fro, unable to pick up the Evokers and Champions as they come (add spawn rate is fu*** fast); and what should the ration between aoe dps and single targeting evokers (or champions...both? in what order?) would be?

From what I've read in this post we could have used our warrior to disarm the Champion and thus preventing his Whirlwinds; my question is...what if you don't have a warrior who can disarm...how do you handle the whirlwinds then? because the raid needs to be grouped up in the middle so that tank picks up the adds easier and ppl don't get zapped by the pillars?

Any more suggestions how to preform better in Arena part of the fight? Thanks for your time guys.

Squirrelnut
05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
:)

Darxide
05-22-2009, 09:40 AM
instead it gives him a stacking buff which makes him hit harder and destroy the tanks.

It's always been this way.

Darxide
05-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Stupid Question maby, but did anyone try to Divine Intervene someone just behind Thorim to start the event quickly next time :P?

You could... but then all of the adds in the gauntlet aggro and come down to eat your face.

Arianne
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
How do people deal with evoker buffs? Ignore them? Have a healer remove them? Have a shadow priest (or X class) remove them?

We used to focus down evokers first to prevent them from spreading, but with the latest change to the celerity aura we've swapped to focusing down warbringers, which then means that these buffs are causing issues (which is why we focused evokers first in the beginning and ignored warbringers).

Tarigar
06-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok my guild is having some problems with Thorim 25. I have read the all the posts in this forum and another one on this site as well as even stratfu.

What is the general strat for doing champions on 25 man as it was eating our warrior (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kalecgos&n=Jesmoo)'s lunch in the arena. He was stating he gets up to about 5-6 champions and some little dudes but keeps getting overwhelmed.

He is not the only tank we also had a paladin (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kalecgos&n=Coreo) and a DeathKnight (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kalecgos&n=Metsu).

I have been in the guantlet with another warrior (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kalecgos&n=Raoh).

We have 3 dps in the guantlet with those being 2 hunters and a dk. Our healers are a pally and a priest.

Guantlet always gets to the first boss with our raid wiping in the arena.

Any suggestions? I wish I could give a better group layout for arena but it varies a ton by who is on etc.

Deefunk
06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
we use 2 tanks in the arena.

We tank everything in the middle of the arena with the exception of champions.. when they jump down, we have a second tank pick up just them and tank them just outside the main group. we burn them down first with ranged being preferable.. melee can do it too but they have to be careful of the WW. We end up melee heavy in the arena sending mostly casters down the tunnel but they are used to being quick to get out of any WW.

Tarigar
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Is your focus the champions?

1st and 2nd attempt we were just trying to get the evokers down and were getting overwhelmed by champions.

I think our 5th and 6th attempts we were having ranged on the champions and melee taking out evokers.

Trying to find a better solution because I know we are missing something.

roshman
06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
My guild have cleared ulduar 10 easily. but on 25 man only this dude is getting in our way to get to general vezaxx.
What set up do you use for this boss, and how do you divide the raid into arena and gauntlet.

would be really helful if you frapsed a 25 man version of the fight, emphasizing more on gauntlet and arena.

Nahmette
06-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Our raid's 25 man makeup is usually 2 prot warriors,1 prot pally, 2 bear tanks(both can go feral), 7 healers and assorted ranged dps with a couple melee dps. We have been attempting this fight for weeks using 1 warrior,1 pally and a druid tank standing just under Thorim(adds run right to the people closest to him, and having our ranged and healers mostly standing in the circle.

Our hallway team goes with 1 warrior and 2 healers,4 ranged casters.

Heres our issue...in almost every single attempt we get to about the 3 1/2 minute mark and then then the arena group gets flat out overrun.My screen usually shows around 20+ mobs up and on me when i go down(prot warrior).

I noticed in most vids that a bear and a dk are going down the hall with another DK in the arena...hence this question...can thorim not be done without a dk?

Surmaaja
06-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Of course it can, having 20+ mobs alive doesnt seem like a tanking proplem, it seems more like a dps proplem.

Squirrelnut
06-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Ya we rarely have DKs in our raids and don't really have issues with Thorim, you just have to have the DPS to down the mobs to prevent being overrun.

Barogorn
07-03-2009, 10:00 PM
We successfully one shot Thorim (10 man) every week. I hope some of this information will help some guild's with composition and placement for arena/hallway groups.

Here is our raid composition:

Arena
Paladin(Prot)
Paladin(Ret)
Hunter(Surv)
Hunter(Surv)
Druid(Resto)

Hallway
Druid(Feral)
Warlock(Destro)
Warlock(Destro)
Priest(Holy/Disc)

Arena
We have the hunters in the arena dropping slowing traps. Misdirection's on the tank are quite handy, this can be copied with Trick's of the Trade by a rogue or two. The hunters focus down the evokers when they jump in. The ret paladin and arms warrior focus on warbringers and champions. The ret paladin can interupt whirlwind with repentance but not hammer of justice. With the extra dps we burn down the warbringers and champions before they can cause any serious damage. This makes healing the arena much easier for one healer, only have close calls if melee pull aggro to quickly.

Hallway
We run only 2 healers to ensure not to be overrun in the arena. Any healer will do fine for the hallway but would definitely have your best raid healer in the arena. We found it was less likely for cloth wearer's to die if they were in the tunnel group, being that the arena has adds coming in with heal aggro. This has the added benefit of being able to kill the first mini-boss quickly since you have no melee that have to back off during his melee reflect.

Thorim
Once the arena and hallway are complete we have tanks pick up Thorim and position him in the middle. Tanks stack on one side of Thorim and melee on the opposite. We run two melee in addition to tanks, if you run more then that make a triangle on the boss. We have ranged and heals spread out around the room.

Hard-mode
We are going to attempt to do Hard-mode this week and all we will change is sending one of the hunter's into the tunnel group. As it stands with our setup the arena is a piece of cake with plenty of breathing room. Dropping one dps from the arena would leave us with enough dps to not be completely overrun, not to mention the hallway gets completed in time to enable hard mode. It is however completely doable to active hard mode on Thorim with only 2 dps in the tunnel.

I will post back here with our progress on Thorim Hard-mode(10 man).

spartan
07-23-2009, 08:11 PM
We found that after you kill the first mini-boss in the gauntlet, you can have a hunter send his pet to engage mini-boss 2. The adds will stop spawning, and he will come to you :)

Rainslave
07-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Long time reader first time poster
We are hitting a Brick wall with this guy. our raids have 3 Tanks Warr , Pally , DK.
We have 3 Druid heals , 1 Holy priest , 1 disc ,1 Pally and 1 Shammy
DPS is most time 2 to 3 Rogues , 2 mages , 2 Balance druids , 1 Lock 1 Ele shammy , 1 enhanc shammy couple Ret pallys and a hunter. this is our main raiders.
We have succesfully had Thorim Hit the floor a couple times , but we have so many down by the time he hits its a wipe and start over.
The problems being Its eather Hall will wipe after 1 st Boss and we all die or arean Gets over run and its a wipe.
we have tried 4 tanks 2 in each we have done 3 tanks 2 areana 1 hallway
we have tried many combinitions. Plate out side clothes inside , switched that.
I guess what i am asking is , what is the make up of a succussfull group and a 25 man video that can help us with this guy.

any comments or suggestions would be great
Thank you in advance

rubadub
08-12-2009, 10:12 AM

We had the same issue. When he's around 20% HP the stack get so high that the tanks just get 1 shotted, even though our DPS is good for XT002 prenerf.
I'm thinking it might be we need to MC more Warbringers.

This was also our case last night. Our DPS could not get him down fast enough before the "soft" enrage. Can someone post a 25-man kill from their WWS or any report for comparison? Need some clarification on what the dps requirements are for Thorim. We're definetly missing something.

Thanks.

Same with our group, 15-25% left before he was one-shotting all of the tanks.

I'm in the same boat as all these guys, but havn't heard any response to their questions? Does anyone have a clue? We recently found out about mind controlling a warbringer to give the raid an increased 20% haste buff...but we're still not sure if these is going to help us enough to avoid being 1 shotted around the soft enrage. Anyone know anything? Anyone have any advice? Thanks

The_Target
08-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Ran our first attempts at Thorim last night, I was healing Arena and I noticed that my chain heals were taking twice as long as normal. Is there a haste debuff being cast by mobs? I couldn't find anything on the video or Wowwiki about this.

Muffin Man
08-31-2009, 12:26 PM
You or someone next to you got hit by Thorims hammer: Deafening Thunder - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=62470)

There's not a lot of ways around it for the Arena group, which is why instant cast healers are preferred there.

RE: DPS requirements - the first time we tried Thorim and the first time we killed him we used Brez and Soulstone on the tanks. We 3 heal it and probably did around 3.5k avg dps for the first kill. First kill, I dps-ed and we downed him in 10 stacks.
I think the first time I tanked it, he got to 14 stacks, I died, got brezed, and died again. But I bought enough time for the other tank to survive. When I tank this, I always, always use shield block when I taunt him. Towards the end, I'll pop a cooldown when I taunt him since he hits really, really hard and even with warning it'll take healers time to switch to me.

Some important things to note. Is anyone dying early to lightning charge (hopefully cuz they got frost nova-ed not forgot to move) or blizzard or chain lightning? If you lose a dps it'll be tough. Do you guys have bloodlust? If so wait until he's around 25% to pop it, since it'll help the healers as damage gets high and allow people to spam their execute-style abilities if they have any.

Some groups say it's easier to 2 heal this to beat his enrage, we're more comfortable 3 healing this since once you get into position there's not *too* much movement to the fight and our dps can bring him down.

Taurosen
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
id like to hear about hunters roles