PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Raid Members from week to week.. how!?

Alent
04-23-2009, 05:24 PM
I have a problem in my guild... and I've experienced it before on the opposite end in others: I need to setup a solid system for rotating raid members because I have 25 raid slots and 40 people who want to raid.

Nobody wants to sit because it's new content. The last time we came up with a system for people sitting to let others come in, people "sat" until ulduar because they were sick of naxx.

Without finding something, I'm going to lose people who want to raid, and end up with no backup raiders, and I want to avoid that.

Everyone feels entitled to a raid slot and I'm getting people threatening to quit over a slot when one of their friends in the raid says there's two slots left.

Anaz
04-23-2009, 07:13 PM
recruit enough for two raids?

September
04-24-2009, 01:01 AM
The solution you have mentioned yourself: setup a solid system for rotating members. How you do this is up to you, just make a list or some way that rotates people fairly (i.e. they all raid the same number of days per week/two weeks).

The real issue for you is having the balls to enforce it. If people are threatening to leave because they don't understand that you can't fit everyone into every raid, then maybe you would do better off without them?

Acheronia
04-24-2009, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure whether you're the only raid leader as well. It could be viable to get someone to raid lead a second group. With 40 willing and able members you can have a couple of raid rotation options. 4 x 10 man raids. 1 x 25 and 1 x 10 raids, with 5 people to warm the benches or to make provision for people with other commitments on your raid schedule. From what I hear some Ulduar bosses requires a specific raid set up, so you won't always be taking the exact group setup to every boss.

You're in a fortunate position to mix and match a bit and give everyone a piece of the cake, if they're willing.

Dugan
04-24-2009, 02:51 AM
The way we do it where I am at is, we have a schedule made up for the month. the schedule is then broken down to categories Tanks, Healers, Range DPS, AoE DPS, and Melee DPS. At the start of WotLK we figured who would go first on the schedule by rolling for the first spots. We had at the time 6 tanks so the 3 highest rolls went first then the remaining went on the 2nd week. If you have an odd number such as 5 tanks do a rotation like abc,bcd,cde,dea,eab (a,b,c,d,e represnting the tanks). I find the schedule system works very well and allows time to plan real life around raids.

Fayre
04-24-2009, 03:36 AM
I generally find that 'systems' end up tying your hands too much. As a raid leader you need to have the option to take X over Y because you're planning boss Z.

What I do is keep a record of the numbers of 'requests' to attend raids (we sign up ahead of time) vs. the number they actually attend because I pick them, and then try keep the proportion roughly the same within roles like 'tank', 'healer', 'ranged', 'melee'. I also publish who's going to get a place in the raid about 24 hrs before the raid, so if they're on the bench, they can go do something else that evening.

Bryenne
04-24-2009, 05:06 AM
As mentioned above, the most elegant solution is to run two groups, one 25 and one 10, with the extra 5 players warming the bench should they be needed. It is a rare guild that can get 40 players to show up every scheduled raid night, so having the 5 person cushion is nice.

Satrina
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
We generally keep a roster big enough to fill a 25 man raid plus 3-4 on the waitlist every night. "Big enough" varies over time with people's out of game commitments; right now our roster of people with the raider member level is about 35. It's made very clear up front that nobody is exempt from waitlist time, even officers, and that you will be on the waitlist sometimes.

Ideally, whatever attendance tracker you have keeps track of time on list, time in raid, time absent so you have a tool you can look at to help catch people who have been getting sat out more often. It's still only a tool - fill the raid to kill the bosses you're going to be fighting, of course.

Anyone who can't handle being sat out from time to time should play single player games.

Kavtor
04-24-2009, 07:44 AM
In TBC we had a couple officers that kept track of our bench and tried to rotate people in and out for different bosses. You try to spread it around so everyone sees all the bosses reasonably often. It's a fair amount of overhead to keep track of, but a personable officer should be able to keep things fairly smooth.

orcstar
04-25-2009, 01:32 AM
It's made very clear up front that nobody is exempt from waitlist time, even officers, and that you will be on the waitlist sometimes.
This is very important: are you prepared to bench yourself?

Also when recruiting and declining people I state: I don't recruit for the bench I recruit to get raiders.........................so don't recruit too many people.

Axxiom
04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
i hold a weekly meeting with my officers to decide who comes and who doesn't based on the players themselves. we try to always bring the players who we think are going to make the raid the best it can be.

this kind of planning requires us to take into account a multitude of factors, starting with requirements of the raid itself (needed CC/tanking classes/healing classes/etc), but then works its way to player performance, including healing/dps output and tanking ability. then weconsider raid experience, previous attendance, player consistency, raid attentiveness, and personal attitude.

the end result is: the players the guild needs the most participate in raids, receive loot, and progress. those players will stay in the guild because the guild will win with the best players in the raids.

the players that the guild does not need as much (though something of a bench is always needed) will be the ones who may leave. and while you may enjoy their company and while they may be nice people, it may be better to lose them and to run stronger raids than to hang onto them and fail more.