PDA

View Full Version : Having issues in Ulduar

ilyanna_qt
04-23-2009, 02:51 AM
Hello everyone, I have been raiding with my current guild in a main tank position from early SSC, and have recently run into some severe issues with my survivability in Ulduar. I've never felt so squishy since back tanking Karazhan in felsteel stuff.

I was just wanting a quick once over, to make sure I havn't made any silly mistakes, our healers have always been the backbone of the guild, and, regardless of the slacking that was done in Naxxramas, I really don't feel its their fault, which means I must have done something wrong.

PS. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel%27Thalas&n=Ilyanna)
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdgobhbc:Gp0zmc)

I have access to an assortment of other bits and pieces of gear, normally wear 4pt7.5 (no chest) dragonstorm, standard BiS in the rest of the slots, with an Eternal meta, just in case I happen to be ret or in some random soloing setup in my armory profile.

Wulverin
04-23-2009, 03:09 AM
From what you've said and looking at your armory it sounds like you need an effective health boost to stand up to the incoming damage, based on that here are some quick suggestions.

1. For survivability you might find the Austere Earthsiege Diamond a better meta gem.

2. You can get more out of your Monarch Crab by putting a prismatic stamina gem in your yellow slot and then a solid sky sapphire in the blue.

3. You can squeeze a little more out of your boots with a +22 stamina enchant.

4. Essence of Gossamer or Defenders Code might improve your EH & survivability rather than the Valor Medal of the First War.

ilyanna_qt
04-23-2009, 03:27 AM
You make a good point with the boot enchant, I've managed to forget to reenchant after 3.1 (was never spec'ed PoJ pre-3.1).

Theres alot of balance issues I've been juggling with over the past few weeks, too many gearsets with slightly over defense etc. (have a hit capped setup for Sarth drake tanking, which I can pretty safely say I'll never go back to), hence why I've got a few pure defense odds and ends kicking about. I'll have a bash reworking for the Meta change. If effective health really is my problem, as you mentioned, I'm sure a bunch of extra armor will help.

I'll see if I can dig out a trinket or two... hopefully Ignis will put out this reset, I've heard he has a nice effective health trinket.

To clarify on the exact issues, I just seem to occassionally die, seemingly quite randomly, on XT-002, Kologarn, Ignis, etc. We go meaby 3 or 4 attempts, wiping for other assorted reasons, then I die on a good attempt halfway through the fight.

Wulverin
04-23-2009, 03:38 AM
To clarify on the exact issues, I just seem to occassionally die, seemingly quite randomly, on XT-002, Kologarn, Ignis, etc. We go meaby 3 or 4 attempts, wiping for other assorted reasons, then I die on a good attempt halfway through the fight.

When we've had this problem and truly investigated it generally it seems to come down to:-

1) I didn't blow a cooldown, seed, pot, trinket when I should have.

2) A MT healer got spell-locked on Ignis, thought they'd help raid heal instead of spamming me, died to Tantrum/Gravity bomb on XT-002 and didn't say so on vent, or otherwise took their eye off the ball momentarily.

We've been finding that although it's usually raid damage that is wiping us there are still random attempts where if either the tank or his healers take their eye off the ball for just one second then it can be death. Basically Ulduar seems, thank goodness, to be far less forgiving and that needs to be remembered.

Personally, I wear all the EH I can when MTing at the moment (as do our other tanks), it seems to be working better than a balanced set or an avoidance set and threat is still not an issue.

ilyanna_qt
04-23-2009, 04:02 AM
Cool, thanks for the input, I'll stick with maximising my effective health.already

headknocker
04-23-2009, 01:00 PM
My take is that you're running with BiS block and way low on dodge and a bit low on Health. I'd switch to:
- Platinum Mesh Cloak
- Breastplate of Tormented Rage
- Helm of Vital protection
- Dragon Brood Legs (or Soveignity)
- Kyzoc's boots
- Hero's Surrender (shield)
- Essence of Gossamer