PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some DPS help. Prot Warrior

Olinske
04-22-2009, 08:42 PM
wowarmory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aegwynn&n=Olinske)

I can do every raid that WoW can throw at me, but for some reason i cant get near 2k dps.. the best i can get is around 1.4k... that is sad.. im at the bottom of the recount!!!!...

If you can help me out that be very nice.. Thanks..

I do have the top 3 legs before the ulduar patch..

Tyserus
04-22-2009, 09:57 PM
My DPS is equally as lame... actually even lower, but I would try swapping some gems for Str gems and putting the Blacksmithing enchant on your shield for Block Value. Str translates to Block Value, Attack power, and overall dmg. Shield Slam draws a lot of it's dmg and threat from Block Value. Your overall Defense Rating needs to be 689, which means you have 63 defense rating that you can dump in favor of damage increasing stats like Str. Get the Shoulder Enchant from Sons of Hodir, and the Meta gem with Def and Block will get your Shield Slams nice and big... at least that's what seems to be working for me. =)

here's my armory to give you an idea... it's not the gospel by any stretch of the imagination, but I like it so far.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Tyserus)

Olinske
04-24-2009, 05:24 AM
does anyone else have anything to say?

Hinetoa
04-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Yeah, it's hard to find an answer to this - protection warrior dps.
Y take a warrior tank to Ulduar if the other classes are making a sustantial contribution to dps and your warrior tank isn't.

Who is a warrior tank getting over 2K on a single target boss fight, here?
If you are can you share?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Moonrunner&n=Hinetoa)

IceHaus151
04-24-2009, 05:38 AM
wowarmory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aegwynn&n=Olinske)

I can do every raid that WoW can throw at me, but for some reason i cant get near 2k dps.. the best i can get is around 1.4k... that is sad.. im at the bottom of the recount!!!!...

If you can help me out that be very nice.. Thanks..

I do have the top 3 legs before the ulduar patch..

You only have 1/3 points in deep wounds... I would recommend using all 3. You dont have Gag order which is a 10% increase in SS.
Other than that you need to work on your rotation. My main is DPS, but as prot with a mixed set up purples and blues, and with only the red sword of courage, I am doing over 1.3k dps in 5 mans. Havent got to try it out in raids yet because im in a new guild and they have their "set" tanks. Ill have to pug some raids and try it out, but I would imagine doing 1.3k+ in 5 mans would only get better in 10 and 25 mans.

Also one thing I did since I dont have great tanking gear is replace the Keystone ring with one of my DPS rings.. I think Im using Ruthlessness. 1% less dodge but more AP, Crit, and it got me to the Expertise cap. If you dont have 26 expertise I would suggest going for it, it seemed to help me out a lot, considering like 4 months ago when I was tanking I was getting like 700 DPS in a 10 man raid....

Daloh
04-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Another place you can look is MAXDPS.com and check under Prot Warrior. There is a splce to put all your stas and a slide bar for your focus. This will give you an idea about gear that may tweak you a little.

Olinske
05-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Did another 25 man raid Naxx. Got about 1.4k dps.. Deep wound x3 and Gag order? U cant silence a boss so idk how the gag order thing works..
my exp is 44

Im going to try the deep wound spec tonight in ulduar see if i get some nice DPS

Heladys
05-07-2009, 03:01 PM
You dont have Gag order which is a 10% increase in SS.

Gag order? U cant silence a boss so idk how the gag order thing works..

He's already told you.

heerobya
05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
He's already told you.

And Gag Order silence is great for tanking the little Stormcaller guy in the Iron Council fight.

Good for silencing him for a few seconds to get him out of Runes of Power.

Olinske
05-07-2009, 03:37 PM
k, sounds like im going to stick that in my talents..
Thanks

Squirrelnut
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
If you are going for more DPS to fall in line with other tanks... you probably should re-evaluate your priorities, we simply aren't designed to do a lot of damage we care about threat, mobility, interupts and doing our job as a tank. Prot warriors in Ulduar content simply aren't really tailored to do 2.5k+ dps like some other tank classes.

With that being said it isn't hard to get up around 2k dps if it is important to you. Spec is the first issue, you only have 1 point in Deep Wounds and that is really big considering how much damage DW does for us. I prefer a survivability build for Ulduar
5/10/56
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZhiZVI ... sGo:TrAMmz (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZhiZVItrx0didIzsGo:TrAMmz)
But for DPS/TPS you should reconsider the old default
15/5/51
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZh ... sGo:dbomMz (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:dbomMz)

Also I don't like your trinket choice (Valor Medal), I prefer health such as Essence of Gossamer. If you were really into DPS you could also consider something like Mark of Norgannon to really boost your expertise but most tanks have moved away from that for Ulduar.

Olinske
05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Update!!

My dps is around 1.5k....
I changed some Tank gear with DPS gear.
I think the only reason im not getting good DPS is because of my gear.. I need more t7.5+ gear..
or if anyone has anything for me to try.. i will give it a shot....

Muffin Man
05-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Update!!

My dps is around 1.5k....
I changed some Tank gear with DPS gear.
I think the only reason im not getting good DPS is because of my gear.. I need more t7.5+ gear..
or if anyone has anything for me to try.. i will give it a shot....

Well yes and no. Assuming you're doing 1.5k in your currently armory gear then it's not the quality of your gear that's at issue, but the type of gear.

Now, your gear is all fine for surviving those 20-30k size blows in Ulduar, but it's not going to help your dps.

You still have two trinkets that do nothing for dps. And you have very low block value and aren't expertise capped (at least get soft capped - 26).

I would suggest at least getting a block value trinket so you aren't completely trading damage for survivability.

I'll tell you though, the main issue is not gear or even raid makeup, but almost certainly your rotation. Although if you specced into deep wounds you could probably see a ~75 dps improvement (it usually accounts for 3 - 6% of total damage for me).

So just keep practicing, check recount after boss fights to make sure you aren't missing SS cooldowns, watch your rage bar and make sure you're actually heroic striking *when appropriate* (when you have 50+ rage is a good ballpark). You're making progress, so you'll get there =).

Roehnofmisha
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I know that there is a half build of arms/prot that will increase dps. I'm not quite sure what it is but I believe Ciderhelm used to use one. If anyone knows the talent build or what exactly it is could you please post it.

Harimella
05-14-2009, 04:06 AM
I know that there is a half build of arms/prot that will increase dps. I'm not quite sure what it is but I believe Ciderhelm used to use one. If anyone knows the talent build or what exactly it is could you please post it.Check News forum on tankspot, look for Unrelenting Assault thread. I wouldn't use UA build in Ulduar anyway, for me 2 prot specs (one threat oriented old Deep Wounds + survival prot spec) is way to go now.

@OP: why you don't have 3/3 Deep Wounds? Remove 3 points from Shield Specialization and put them into Deep Wounds. It will help a bit. You should also enchant boots and cloak.

Kerchunk
05-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Prot warriors in Ulduar content simply aren't really tailored to do 2.5k+ dps like some other tank classes.

I'm doing 2.2k in standard 15/5/51 in Ulduar-10. Even when I "coast" a lot to refresh shouts, thunderclap, etc. I still average 1.7-1.9k.

If you're down around 1.4k you're probably not using Heroic Strike often enough. Without a WWS report or something I can't give you specific advice, but my guess is your ratio of melee swings to HS is 1:1 or worse in favor of melee. This is the single biggest mistake Prot. Warriors make in both TPS and DPS. You absolutely must learn to HS on every possible swing when in infinite rage scenarios if you want to push your DPS past the 2k mark.

You should be able to HS 90-100% of the time, only letting a melee swing through once every 10 swings at most (every other one should be a heroic strike). If you have trouble doing this, it's probably because your keybindings are not ideal to allow you to spam HS properly.