PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Cutter heroics spec for 3.1.1?

Saori
04-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Hi folks,

I've seen comments about "cookie cutter" 15/5/51 specs for warrior tanks pre-3.1, what about post 3.1? Does anyone have an armory link of a standard 3.1 build for 5-man heroics? I haven't started heroics yet, been waiting for 3.1 changes before I start. 2nd spec will be for pvprot so i'm not concerned about pvp in the main build.

My gear: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dath%27Remar&n=Saori)

cheers

Giliandrix
04-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Nothing's really changed as far as I know...For progression based fights and Heroics 15/5/51 is still the way to go.

UA is another spec that is gaining popularity, but it requires really good gear and can't be used on all bosses.

Saori
04-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Trying not to sound like an idiot - what is the actual 15/5/51 spec? thx :)

Giliandrix
04-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:Tzsm0z)

Sysmon
04-23-2009, 12:49 PM
The 15/5/51 cookie cutter is more of a raid spec, IMHO, and it is getting dated. It is focused on optimal threat generation, which is not all there is to tanking heroics.

I personally would take points out of Focused Rage - rage starvation seems to be a non-issue in WotLK for the most part. Also, I don't see much point in Cruelty.

Rather, I would put 5 points in Shield Specialization. Block is getting attractive as avoidance has diminishing returns, and you get extra rage back to boot.

The last 2 points I would use on Improved Spell Reflect. In 5-mans, that makes you able to reflect magic attacks for the whole party if they are close enough to you. Awesome in heroics and the constant caster trash. Your healer will love you, too. In Heroic UK, get the whole party to group with you on the paired boss fight. When the caster start filling his caster bar, pop Spell Reflect and watch the fireworks :cool:. It also works well in HUP on the gauntlet run, when witch doctors come out looking for your healer.

Of course, if you run with raid-geared DPS, you may want to go with the cookie-cutter build, to stay ahead on the threat meter. Or, if you still want to have some fun, ask them to keep an eye on threat as well.

:D S

Squirrelnut
04-23-2009, 02:01 PM
I would say you are looking at 3 distinct talent specs and glyph selection:

1) Default Heroic & Raid Spec (15/5/51) (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:dbomMz) - Glyph: Blocking, Revenge, Heroic Strike or Devistate / Charge, Thunderclap, Bloodrage
I would definitely recommend this for virtually all content other then Ulduar. It provides you with excellent threat/dps as well as aoe ability, stuns & rage generation to make you an ideal tank for 5 man heroics and 10/25 man Nax type content. To go hand in hand with this spec you should focus on a few main stat requirements: 540+ defense, 26+ expertise (57 ideally), 266 hit ideally, as much HP as your gear allows. Generally gem for 24 stam, 16 expertise, expertise/stam. Run normal Halls of Lighting for the Seal of the Pantheon trinket to help with defense cap issues until you improve your gear.

2) Ulduar Progression Raid Spec (5/10/56) (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LVZhiZVItrx0didIzsGo:TrAmMz) - Glyph: Shield Wall, Last Stand, Vigilance or Blocking / Charge, Thunderclap, Bloodrage
I would not really recommend this until you get a lot of gear upgrades and raiding becomes more important to you instead of heroic 5 mans. Ulduar (and the 2nd boss in VoA) is really the only content that really benefits and potentially requires the added avoidance of this spec at the cost of threat generation. Also you could choose to switch 2 points from Focused Rage over to Imp Spell Reflect depending on what you are doing.

3) UA Damage Spec - Limited Use - (37/0/34) (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAMuzf0t0brR0MZZVctrx0zid:boAMmz) - Glyph: Revenge, Heroic Strike, Vigilance / Charge, Thunderclap, Bloodrage
This is an interesting spec with limited use/flexibility. You give up a lot of tank skills and versatility to pick up Unrelenting Assault and basically become a Revenge/Heroic Strike spammer in an attempt to do more damage. That makes your rotation very easy and your damage potential nice however you lose a lot of aoe potential, warbringer, devastate, shockwave, etc. It relies on having someone else to throw up sunders and really is not something I would recommend for 5 man heroics since it also really requires top end gear to even become viable.

3.1 did not really do much with regard to content other then open up new areas where you won't even be going until you improve your gear / join a guild and begin to raid more. With where you are at currently just go with the 15/5/51 and work on your rotation to be the most effective tank possible. Off spec you can mess around with Arms/Fury DPS or the UA spec if you are bored but without someone to sunder for you it really isn't all that great.