PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Aid

Daigeil
04-22-2009, 01:01 PM
G'evenin'. I've been tanking for a while, pre-Wrath, pre-TBC, and since Wrath release. Recently I've been wanting to get myself properly optimised with gems, talents and enchants.

Here is my profile. I'm quite happy with my spec and gear, but I need to know how I can improve. Any tips? I can acquire most any piece of gear from 10-man, but 25-man is largely out of my reach.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Daigeil
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
It occurs to me that more details might help. My weekly raiding is fairly irregular. At the moment, I intend to clear OS+1, Malygos and Flame Leviathan, with Naxx10, later Ulduar bosses and VoA thrown in if possible. I have just over 40 Marks of Heroism and 22 Marks of Valor. I'm happy to PuG 25-man raids for Marks of Valor or other bits, but the harder content is probably inacessible - Moonglade isn't that great for PuGs.

I can adjust my specs if it seems like it would help. Having two sets is not out of the question for different fights. I have the cash to re-gem and re-enchant, or to purchase BoE epics. Optimisation is my aim and while I've been cobbling stuff together as best I can, asking for help seems like it would be a good idea.

Thanks again.

Warwench
04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Your build is a little different but looks to be pretty heavily suvival based with Demo shout and picking up both Improved Disc and imp Spell Reflect. Could be warranted based on what you are tanking.

You have at least one parry gem, swap that for Dodge or Def, or just plain STAM. I'd go with the armsman enchant on gloves. You seem to gem for Defense a lot, and it's semi high, but your dodge is kind of low. I expect some decent dodge pieces will help out there and your def will drop down with more avoid/HP type gear.. might consider trading some of the def for HP/Exp.

Squirrelnut
04-22-2009, 03:25 PM
There are a few substantial issues that you have. First off you do NOT want to gem for Parry (ever) and you also don't want to gem for str/def as you seem to constantly be doing.

Basically as a Prot warrior you want all blue slots to have 24stam, any red slots to have expertise or expertise/stam. Any leftovers like yellow slots you can't do much about since you are not a JC but you could throw in a 24 stam and ignore the socket bonus or if you want to keep it just go for expertise/hit

Prot warriors are rage driven and thus we actually like being hit to a certain extent. To that end you want as much life as you can possibly get while maintaining 540+ def and the expertise/hit to be effective. Expertise soft cap is 26 hard cap is 57 (for your purposes just go for the soft cap as it will provide a substantial improvement in your threat) and the hit cap is 266.

As you get better and better gear you may be able to replace the Seal of the Pantheon trinket but for the time being you can leave it but I would definitely replace your Valor Medal trinket with an Essence of Gossamer - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37220) from h an.

Enchants you seem to have a fairly good handle on things however if you have plenty of gold you could upgrade:
Wrist - 40 stam
Weapon - Accuracy
Chest - 250 life once you get the gear to make staying over the 540 def cap a non-issue

Your talent selection and glyphs look good however for virtually all content other then Ulduar you are likely best off just sticking with the 15/5/51 default and only going for the 5/10/56 when you really might need it in the new content.

Daigeil
04-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks a bunch for the advice. Just a question: Why no parry-gemming? Is it simply that Expertise would be better? Or is there some subtle issue with it that I've missed? I'll be sure to take your advice in the meantime.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Ah yes, as regards to the expertise, I'm already dodge-capped - it doesn't seem to be counting Vitality in the Armory. Is it still worth gemming for expertise, or would something else be more suitable?

Warwench
04-23-2009, 11:08 AM
of the 3 ways to gem for Avoidance (ie parry+dodge), pure parry suffers the most from diminishing returns. this means if you have a +16 Parry or Dodge or Defense gem, you get the most pure avoidance from the +16 Def, then the +16 Dodge and finally the +16 Parry. It is always therefore preferential to Gem for either +16 Def or +16 Dodge and not Parry.

Defense is still the best way to get pure avoidance... personally I love Dodge.

Squirrelnut
04-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks a bunch for the advice. Just a question: Why no parry-gemming? Is it simply that Expertise would be better? Or is there some subtle issue with it that I've missed?
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/42074-balancing-avoidance-ratings.html - this explains why Parry is the garbage stat of all the tanking stats available

I prefer expertise & stam rather then gemming dodge because I make it a point to have as much HP as possible so that I can take a few more hits and increasing expertise has two advantages:

1) Threat/Damage improvement by reducing the chance that your attacks get dodged (26 expertise soft cap eliminates the possibility to be dodged)
2) Mitigation improvement & threat/damage improvement by reducing the chance that you get parried which would cause a boss to swing faster and causes a burst of damage that can lead to a parry gib (57 expertise hard cap eliminates the possibility to be parried).