PDA

View Full Version : Old Arms, new Basic Tank

Daloh
04-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I am currently a geared DPS raider, and to help my guild I picked up dual spec and spec'd into prot. I am doing it to help new 80's do heroic 5-man's to get them into the 10 man cycle with the better raiders. I have a few newbie questions.

I am used to the pre-3.1 Fury button spam and the new Arms priority rotation. So I am trying to translate tanking into something familiar. I am not looking to tank 25 mans, though I think in time i might be able to OT 10 mans. My build is here:

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Demon+Soul&cn=Daloh&gn=Bloodmakers)

here are my questions:

What is the basic rotation for obtaining and holding aggro? I know warriors are really good 1 target tanks, but I know we struggle with AoE tanking.

Also, what stats should I be focusing on to get me where I need to be? Remember I am not looking to be an End Game tank.

Thanks for the assistance,

Daloh

PS - Can anyone tell me what a good third Minor Glyph would be?

Giliandrix
04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Basic rotation is....

Shield Slam whenever it is up, whether off CD or SnB Proc.
Revenge whenever it is up.
Shockwave/Conc Blow whenever it is up.
Otherwise, Devastate.

Apply Thunder Clap/Demoralizing early on, and use them whenever they're close to running out, but still prioritize Shield Slam/Revenge.

HS Rage Dump if you're above 50 rage. There's a great flowchart that I can't find...ahah found it!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9209/warriorthreatrotation2td0.png
Made by Karilyn.

With multi-target threat, you're gonna be doing a lot of Tabbing and applying Revenges/Shield Slams to different Targets. Whatever is marked Skull should always need the most threat though so keep that in mind. Also instead of HS as a rage dump, Cleave will be your new skill. But with single target threat, follow that flow chart! You can't lose.

About your spec, 15/5/51 is now the widely accepted build for Prot warriors. AttT should never be forsaken in any warrior build.
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo:zTsz0m)
Glyphs are included into the Spec. You can swap out the minor Battle with Charge if you want. I usually run with multiple Pallys so it's never really used.

For stats, personally I'd just say after hitting 540 Defense, gem for stamina as much as you can, while still getting any socket bonuses.

Hope this was helpful!

wayne
04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Warriors own at aor threat :P

I never ever seem to struggle.

Thunder clap,
Shockwave,
SnB / SS
Revenge
Devastate
HS to rage dump (Or cleave for multiple mobs)

Daloh
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks. That's all helpful. Especially the Flow Chart. I'll have to condition my fingers to run that now, but it shouldn't take too long.

What did you mean by AttT, I am sure I am being dense?

Tanking is also a welcome change to the old fury BT-WW Spamming...this will requre thought

Grimluck343
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
AttT - Armored to the Teeth. Its a tier1 Fury talent.

Daloh
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
that makes perfect sense