PDA

View Full Version : New to DK Tanking - Please be kind, but honest..

Hanx
04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
I've just tried working on a build of my own. I would like to hear any discussion on the +/-'s of this build and what would possibly be improvements.

I plan on Main Tanking 5/10 Man instances (Not Ulduar yet). My Guild is helping me with gear (which I know is very lacking for Tanking at the moment).

This is the build I came up with this morning:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#j0EZhgbxhMIzfhbsst0xh:woTMmV)

This is my Armory
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kirin+Tor&n=Hanx)

Thank you for any assistance.. any help will be useful..

Magnarosh
04-22-2009, 05:00 AM
not bad for a new guy, but i do have a few pointers to add in.

- Icy Reach, Endless Winter and Chillblains are mostly useless talents for tanking - skip them.
-Merciless Combat, i stopped taking for tanking because by the time it kicks in, you shouldn't need the extra threat.
-also, i've been Skipping Mobidity and not missing the D&D's since i've gone back to frost. Glyphed HB is good enough for the AoE.
-Acclimation i stopped taking simply because it never proved quite usefull enough for my 3pts.

now, for a few things i'd suggest taking instead.
-Blood of the North is an excellent talent, both boosting damage output to some main dumps, and activating death runes, thus giving you more flexibility in choosing your next moves. You want this.
-Not maxing out Black Ice is ill-advised because a good amount of your damage is from frost and this ability directly affects alot of your threat abilities (IT, FS, HB)
-I would highly reccommend Killing Machine and Chill of the Grave to anyone who wants more threat, but i can't call them mandatory. however, Knowing that you're going to be getting crit Frost Strikes (for single target) and free crit Howling Blasts (for AoE) is a nice comfort.

-Edit -, forgot to mention, my current Frost Spec and glyph set up is visible in my Armory. Link is in the drop-down for my characters.

Hanx
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the great advice. I'm going to look at the information you have given me and work it into my build as a good starting point.

Being new to tanking, I needed a good starting point, and will work on the fine tuning as I move forward.

I appreciate the honest appraisal. Now, to try out this good advice in Violet Hold and see if I can hold some Threat and keep them big ol' bad guys off my healer!!!

I'll post what I learn here so I can refine my build.