PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Mimiron

Ciderhelm
04-21-2009, 05:09 PM
ZjecQKcGuD4

P13N2_XGZHk

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html
Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html
Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread

Gertiploiss
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow. You guys are good. Wouldn't of expected this till after Thorim. We're gonna be owned by him.

Ciderhelm
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Movie up! I'll put it up for Donor download once I'm finished w/ raid.

Inphecthyuz
04-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Movie up! I'll put it up for Donor download once I'm finished w/ raid.

Thanks Cinderhelm i'll be waiting the movie in HD ^^

Gnarg
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Looks like an amazing encounter. We killed Freya today with help of your video but it was too late to have some tries on Mimiron, so hopefully we'll see this next week.

I just want to thank Tankspot for the great work with these video's, you have helped my guilds progress through Ulduar alot.

Ciderhelm
04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Donor download is now up!

Meche
04-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Some comments:

We had major issues with the Shock Blast / Barrage combo. As some have noted elsewhere it seems that the boss goes crazy if the tank moves around while he's doing the Spinning Up for barrage. We used Guardian spirit in the end so I could stand still while tanking during Blast. It was really irritating though because the two abilities overlapped the first occurance every single try..

We had a sort of messy solution to the bombs in phase 3 as well. Our DK tanked the boss while standing under it taking all the bombs using some mixed tank gear. :D

One more thing worth noting imo was that the mines seems to last like a second longer even after self-exploding. So if you see a ring of mines wear out and explode, don't run past them directly or you'll get blown to bits.

Gorbachop
04-22-2009, 03:34 AM
I don't think I heard this mentioned in the video but in 25 man the assault bots must be kited by a ranged class as they will one shot anyone (hit me once for 85k).

Darksend
04-22-2009, 03:50 AM
I don't think I heard this mentioned in the video but in 25 man the assault bots must be kited by a ranged class as they will one shot anyone (hit me once for 85k).

not true. We straight up tank them in 25 man. The key is either a freedom rotation on the tank or having an enh shaman with the snare immunity on totems talent.

By rotation I mean the first add that spawns one holy paladin will bubble sac while the other HoJs it and freedoms the tank.

The second add that spawns they switch rolls.

on the third one the tanks switch and the DK kites the bot (which we do not kill until the phase 3-4 transition by which time he has plenty of agro) and the warrior tank taunts and explodes the bomb bots.

A note on the bomb bots: we found it easier to just have a tank explode them than switch dps to them. By doing this we guarantee the head is dead after 2 cores and also DPS cannot afford to switch off the assult bot or it will not die before BoSacrifice wears off the tank.

I as the druid take all the junk bots the whole phase.

Harbinger
04-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Its extremely hard to outheal the plasma blast thingy on phase 1. Its about 5 ticks of 17k damage (20k before stance/talent modifiers).

On 10man our usual tanking setup is 2 prot warriors. With our dps we were getting 3 blasts in phase 1. What worked best for us was first warrior tanks for the first 2 blasts with SW and LS for each and after the second we switch tank (he's tauntable) and the 2nd tank SWs for the 3rd blast.

For phase 2 I disagree on usage of bloodlust. The aoe damage is fairly easy to outheal and the phase overall is not hard at all. Imo bloodlust is better used on either 3rd or 4th phase.

For phase 3 I suggest kiting. I hunter or ele shaman can very easily kite the biggy and all you need is a priest to dispell when kiter gets stunned. While its defo doable to tank kiting guarantees a smooth phase while tanking them can result on a dead tank since they hit for ~25k on 10man and I would assume ~35k on heroic (havent tried 25man yet). Should be mentioned that they can be slowed by anything (frost shock, earthbind totem, chains of ice, you name it) as well as stunnable. We were just kiting, ranged dps on them, melee on small robots and charge/conc blow or charge/shockwave on every cooldown. Worked like a charm.

I can't comment on phase 4 since we didn't actually kill it :(

Edit: For phase 3 its possible to have a warrior tank tanking actually. Just open with heroic throw and then spell reflect his 9k (on 10man) hits. Thats some massive threat and since your ranged dps will not be able to go all out (they have to take care of the bots) as long as you spell reflect everytime its on CD you can actually tank it. Not that you have to but its cool nonetheless :D

Cruciel
04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
not true. We straight up tank them in 25 man. The key is either a freedom rotation on the tank or having an enh shaman with the snare immunity on totems talent.

By rotation I mean the first add that spawns one holy paladin will bubble sac while the other HoJs it and freedoms the tank.

The second add that spawns they switch rolls.

Dumb. Not only that but tanking them is a waste of an additional tank for the fight and a waste of healers' time to heal.

Squashed
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
For phase 3 bomb bots we use a prot warrior (me) with vigilance on the feral MT. When a bot drops it gets called out and I taunt it & kite. Dropping 2-3 more taunts as necessary while it gets ranged down. We failed phase 3 multiple times, once the strategy was changed to what I just outlined, P3 was a complete breeze. (10man)

Lore
04-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Note that there were some hotfixes that appear to have gone in late Monday just before we got this kill:

- The initial cooldown of Shock Blast in phase 4 was staggered so that it won't happen the same time as Laser Barrage
- The damage output of the Assault Bots was lowered

Satrina
04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Mimiron is one of the best encounters in Ulduar. Very fun!

Ezekiel
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
would someone be so kind as to tell me the ui/addons to get the ui the way it is in these videos?

many thanks

Lore
04-22-2009, 09:48 AM
I've got a thread in the UI compilations forum that explains my UI in more detail

Gertiploiss
04-22-2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks a lot for this. Though we wont be able to get past Iron Council for a while (due to stupidity), once we DO get to the Watchers your guides will make it so much easier.

Trondhjem
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
laughed out loudly at the very ending:

"FUCK YOU ROBOT"
:D

Flak
04-22-2009, 04:26 PM
laughed out loudly at the very ending:

"fuck you robot"
:d

robit* :p

Jock
04-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Had a lot of issues phase 4 with the Laser mechanic. I was MTing and tried moving him during lasers (which is a really bad idea). Next we tried keeping him in place, but the last bolt off lasers actually hit me.

I'm assuming the thing to do is to move right at the last second and hope he doesn't bug out???

Was curious how some people handled that "buggy" part of the encounter....

Meche
04-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Had a lot of issues phase 4 with the Laser mechanic. I was MTing and tried moving him during lasers (which is a really bad idea). Next we tried keeping him in place, but the last bolt off lasers actually hit me.

I'm assuming the thing to do is to move right at the last second and hope he doesn't bug out???

As I had problems with it as well I'll repeat what I said earlier.

To my understanding the problems only appear when the tank moves during 'Spin Up'. To counter that we used Guardian spirit in case he Blasts during that spin up.

It sees however that it no longer should be much of an issue due to:

- The initial cooldown of Shock Blast in phase 4 was staggered so that it won't happen the same time as Laser Barrage

If the barrage seems to start in your direction (and not messed up by shock blast) I guess your best bet would be to wait until after Spin up to avoid the issues use cooldowns to survive the barrage while moving out.

Clav
04-23-2009, 05:53 AM
In P3 (on 10-man) I just taunted the bomb bots and took the explosion. I was in my offspec for the fight as Fury and just equipped my sword n board for extra stam and stayed in def stance for the damage reduction. It meant that all the dps could concentrate on the assault bots and the aerial unit and get them down asap.

Phase 4 was a complete @£#&* though and we got owned for hours until swapping the group around to have more ranged.

Jock
04-23-2009, 04:19 PM
As I had problems with it as well I'll repeat what I said earlier.

To my understanding the problems only appear when the tank moves during 'Spin Up'. To counter that we used Guardian spirit in case he Blasts during that spin up.

Didn't quite hit the issue. I was tanking him last night and you are right... he doesn't do the two abilities together, but staggers them. HOWEVER, when he does the spin, it goes all over and kills everyone if you move. But if you don't move, the last blast of it hits you....

Trying to figure out a way through this as our token holy priest is gone for large number of weeks. Doubt even a last stand/shield wall would get me through. Maybe move the last step of it or something?

Soeed
04-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I know I have never posted here before but since this was the boss I enjoyed the most in our 10man I wanted to post some tips my group used.

Phase 1: Tanking is very easy for a warrior with the warbringer talent. When he started casting Shock Blast I would run out through an opening in the mines and when he had 0.8-0.5 seconds left on the cast I would hit charge. Thus avoiding the aoe damage and preventing him from moving. This is also very useful I found for phase 4.

Phase 2: Not really anything to say for tanking. Very much a DPS race / healer intensive.

Phase 3: I was the one gathering up the adds the entire phase while we had our pally stand directly under the aerial command unit to taunt the bombs when they landed. We found it easier for him to face eat the explosions than to have the ranged leave the boss. This might also be useful for groups without a class with roots.

Phase 4: The only difficult part of this phase for me was to have the perfect circle strafe to keep Mimiron centered in the room during Laser barrages. As for the Shock blast and the Laser barrage combo I had no problem once I figured out how to use charge to keep him from moving.

Now I can't wait to push the big red button this week hopefully.

MonkH
04-23-2009, 05:16 PM
argh phase 4 doing-my-head-in with laser barrage spazzing out 1shotting whole raid in second!

Ciderhelm
04-24-2009, 01:38 AM
FYI:

The Aerial Command Unit can easily be tanked by a Warrior using Spell Reflect. In phase 3, I tank the Aerial Command Unit and taunt the bombs he drops to detonate them.

In phase 4, I tanked both the bottom unit and held aggro on the top unit for most of the encounter by keeping Spell Reflect active.

Jock
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
FYI:

The Aerial Command Unit can easily be tanked by a Warrior using Spell Reflect. In phase 3, I tank the Aerial Command Unit and taunt the bombs he drops to detonate them.

In phase 4, I tanked both the bottom unit and held aggro on the top unit for most of the encounter by keeping Spell Reflect active.

I did this once when our ranged tank died as well. Finally got phase 4 figured out. You have to move very slowly as any 'major' movement causes him to flip out and start going all over. If you like tap the strafe button and go in a circle he should stay mostly where he is supposed to and not flip out and blast the raid with the lasers.

Dang a holy priest would make this fight easy......

orcstar
04-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks a lot for this. Though we wont be able to get past Iron Council for a while (due to stupidity), once we DO get to the Watchers your guides will make it so much easier.
Getting past the Iron Counsil is easy: Do not go left, go up the stairs, kill boss et voilá: you're past the counsil. Well, you haven't killed it yet but still :)

fullmetalcow
04-27-2009, 05:11 AM
I did this once when our ranged tank died as well. Finally got phase 4 figured out. You have to move very slowly as any 'major' movement causes him to flip out and start going all over. If you like tap the strafe button and go in a circle he should stay mostly where he is supposed to and not flip out and blast the raid with the lasers.

Dang a holy priest would make this fight easy......

Is this a bug? It seems to make the fight very tempramental. Getting through p1-3 to then get insta-gibbed by this is very frustrating.

Merko
04-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Looking for a little help *25 man*...

P.1 Mimi is cake however during P.2 running 7 healers spread out evenly they just can't keep the raid up.

Positioning - We have healers spread out evenly around the room, ranged dps spread evenly around the room, melee dps always attempting to get to bosses back.

Damage - We don't have people getting hit by rockets or by the PEW PEW Laser they are just going down by the raid damage from the Phase.

Could I get some advise (yes, we've gotten past it in 10 man to P.4, I'm looking for help in 25 man version) regarding a change in positioning? bring in more healers? or just tell my healers to do there job better? As a raid leader i'd prefer not to resort to the third so i'm hoping some people with experience can help.

katholas
04-27-2009, 09:15 AM
The way we dealt with healing in phase 2 was to get everybody to spread out in a big evenly spaced circle around the room while the phase transition was happening. Then when the mines cleared everybody would collapse in so they are all standing on the middle ring near mimiron. This keeps the guns from hitting too many people while also making sure that every healer is in range of every player at all times. After a barrage everybody fills back in any empty spots in the circle. Works like a charm for us.

Ciderhelm
04-27-2009, 09:18 AM
We had a lot of problems with Phase 2 in 25-man. It wasted a full night of our progression since even losing a handful can cripple you for Phase 4.

I'll work up a strat movie if I can, w/ diagrams on how we solved the issue strategically.

Merko
04-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Cider you the man... like you said Phase 1 and Phase 2 deaths are pretty much unacceptable if you want to make some serious attempts.

Ciderhelm
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Since I can't do this immediately, here's a few pointers:

We had six unique ranged groups that stayed fairly tight together (all players w/in 5 yards of each other, but not right on top to make avoiding rockets easier). Two groups per third of the room, but not standing next to the black spokes around the room.

We had one giant melee group that stayed on top of the black spokes. Since ranged groups weren't on us, the goal of us all grouping was to have a higher chance to draw his fire without hitting ranged groups. Any time we were targeted or had a rocket on us, we moved directly through him onto the next spoke, and kept triangulating like this throught phase 2.

Dampen Magic on the ranged also helped us with this.

ttocs
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
It should also be noted that in 25 man, we were unable to tank assault bots in phase 3. The first one seemed to be fine, and our prot warrior tanked it (and the following one) ok. But, after the first "drop" of the head, they were one-shotting tanks (for 40K) from that point on, for the rest of the night. No buffs that we could see on the mobs.

Not sure if it's a bug or something, but unless we find something else out tonight, they need to be kited and hit from range. That would leave the melee with basically nothing to do phase 3, except wait for the magnetic core.

Rak
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
They're supposed to be untankable.

Ciderhelm
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
They're supposed to be untankable.
They're quite tankable by a Feral Druid. They have a very slow attack speed and while they'll nearly one-shot a tank, the tank has plenty of time to be healed up. The only thing that can't be done is having two up at a time and not kiting one of them.

Ciderhelm
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
It should also be noted that in 25 man, we were unable to tank assault bots in phase 3. The first one seemed to be fine, and our prot warrior tanked it (and the following one) ok. But, after the first "drop" of the head, they were one-shotting tanks (for 40K) from that point on, for the rest of the night. No buffs that we could see on the mobs.

Not sure if it's a bug or something, but unless we find something else out tonight, they need to be kited and hit from range. That would leave the melee with basically nothing to do phase 3, except wait for the magnetic core.
Shield Wall the first one, have another tank Shield wall the second one, use both those cores to bring Aerial Command Unit down and go to Phase 4. The assault bots that spawn while ACU is down get kited.

That allows melee to easily stay in for both the ones that matter and keep DPS up time high. You can also kite the first ones if you want so long as the tank gets a decent threat lead.

littleboots
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
cider anyway you can list what is supposed to be done by tanks in each phase. We just got to mimiron and we are going in tonight for a full night and I came to the thread to find out what I could, but trying to follow this thread is very hard. People are jumping around and talking over each other.
Some us don't know the fight and are trying to learn what to do before engaging the boss but I can't tell from this marmot thread what addds I should be doing what to in which phase. Anyways is it possible to get a feww lines like this (this is an example not a list of what I would love to get as a reply, it is not a list of what top actually do)
Phase 1 plasma is a concern chain cooldowns etc
Phase 2 nothing much to do except tank boss
Phase 3 tank this add like this, watch for this to happen so you can cause this
Phase 4 he cant be moved around so on blast wave i do this, to keep him in 1 spot but still move I use this technique.
Maybe I am asking for too much but that is the info I am trying to get, not "ur way stinks" "u cant do it like that" etc. If I wanted rude chatter I would be in wow forums. I am looking for informed suggestions, help which is why I am at tankspot.
tyvm

Kerchunk
04-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Dumb. Not only that but tanking them is a waste of an additional tank for the fight and a waste of healers' time to heal.

First of all, this is Tankspot, not WoW general. Don't start your posts with unnecessary insults please. At least save them for the third or fourth sentence jackass.

That said, I don't see how one can "waste" a Tank on a phase that has no other tankable mobs. I guess you're missing out on the Heroic Throw dps he could be putting on the boss, but otherwise... how is this a waste of anything?

Sahr Eth
04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Awesome video! My 10 man group wiped quite a bit on the 2nd phase though, until we just seperated all of the ranged. Other than that, boss went down easy ;D

Forklift
04-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Here are my guild's solutions to the biggest problems on this fight:

1. Plasma blasts in phase 1 - We get him through to phase 2 in three plasma blasts, so we shield wall the first one, Guardian Spirit the second one, and last stand the third one. Our healers pretty much are spamming holy lights whenever plasma blast gets called out. (Actually, now that I have my 4 piece bonus, I change the rotation to shield block + GS the first, shield wall the second, last stand + shield block again the third.)

2. Healing in phase 2 - Ranged and healers split up into 4 - 5 separate groups. Melee just run around trying to get behind him and make sure we move out of rockets targeted at us. All groups are close enough so everybody is within range of all healers.

3. Assault bots in phase 3 - each is tanked by a hunter who gets a freedom rotatios from the pallies. Hamstring and crippling poison keep the assault bots slowed. Roots or Chains of Ice will make the mob temporarily ignore everything outside of melee range and thus one-shot rogues--these must NOT be used. Only snares, no roots.

4. Little bots in phase 3 are tanked by our pally OT and just cleaned up at the end.

5. Head is tanked by warrior with spell reflect; bomb bots are taunted by same warrior and exploded right there.

6. Tank keeping the boss still during Dark Glare - turn on walk--prevents the monstrously retarded Blizzard mob pathing AI from murdering everybody. When shock blast and dark glare coincide, you just have to charge back in fast enough to prevent the boss from moving very far. In our kill video you can see charge lag put me on the opposite side and killed me. Luckily our OT picked him up and we got the kill.

Here's our kill video (160ish megs total, almost no sound except my mic input):

Mimiron1.avi Download File on FileFront
Mimiron2.avi Download File on FileFront

ttocs
04-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Shield Wall the first one, have another tank Shield wall the second one, use both those cores to bring Aerial Command Unit down and go to Phase 4. The assault bots that spawn while ACU is down get kited.

That allows melee to easily stay in for both the ones that matter and keep DPS up time high. You can also kite the first ones if you want so long as the tank gets a decent threat lead.

We happened to have a Feral tank them last night, and it worked pretty well. Apparently they turn red and thats when they hit hard (though no buffs of note). Stunning them through that makes it much easier.

Rak
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
I see they nerfed the bot's damage in a recent patch. We haven't tried tanking them since the PTR when they were killing me instantly.

Proximity
04-29-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm unsure about a damage buff on the actual bots, but they do use an ability called Magnetic Field, which immobilizes the target and causes them to take 30% more damage. I got caught with two of them at the same time last night, and took a 38k hit from an assault bot.

It was on the phase 3 > 4 transition too...

Edit: Forgot to mention, the field is a cleanse-able magic effect. I would prefer freedom rotations, however, as that prevents period of time with 30% more damage.

Lore
04-29-2009, 11:28 AM
There was a new hotfix that went live as of yesterday to Assault bot damage. They should attack more frequently but for less damage.

This should make them a lot easier to tank in 25man, since the problem wasn't so much that they do a ton of damage, it was just all at once so it could 1-shot a tank with not enough health.

littleboots
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks a ton. This is what I was looking for. We are going in tonight and are tweaking strat based on your methods so hopefully he dies tonight.
I just want to thank the tanks that take the time to post. My guild is a 3 day a week guild. We are a bit older, jobs, kids etc so we don't get as much time to raid so insights and strats from the hardcore tanks/raiders is invaluable to us. tyvm

Here are my guild's solutions to the biggest problems on this fight:

1. Plasma blasts in phase 1 - We get him through to phase 2 in three plasma blasts, so we shield wall the first one, Guardian Spirit the second one, and last stand the third one. Our healers pretty much are spamming holy lights whenever plasma blast gets called out. (Actually, now that I have my 4 piece bonus, I change the rotation to shield block + GS the first, shield wall the second, last stand + shield block again the third.)

2. Healing in phase 2 - Ranged and healers split up into 4 - 5 separate groups. Melee just run around trying to get behind him and make sure we move out of rockets targeted at us. All groups are close enough so everybody is within range of all healers.

3. Assault bots in phase 3 - each is tanked by a hunter who gets a freedom rotatios from the pallies. Hamstring and crippling poison keep the assault bots slowed. Roots or Chains of Ice will make the mob temporarily ignore everything outside of melee range and thus one-shot rogues--these must NOT be used. Only snares, no roots.

4. Little bots in phase 3 are tanked by our pally OT and just cleaned up at the end.

5. Head is tanked by warrior with spell reflect; bomb bots are taunted by same warrior and exploded right there.

6. Tank keeping the boss still during Dark Glare - turn on walk--prevents the monstrously retarded Blizzard mob pathing AI from murdering everybody. When shock blast and dark glare coincide, you just have to charge back in fast enough to prevent the boss from moving very far. In our kill video you can see charge lag put me on the opposite side and killed me. Luckily our OT picked him up and we got the kill.

]

Gnurken
04-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Damn he was spazzing out in 10man yesterday (phase4). Hope they got it fixed now with that recent hotfix.

Forklift
04-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Thanks a ton. This is what I was looking for. We are going in tonight and are tweaking strat based on your methods so hopefully he dies tonight.
I just want to thank the tanks that take the time to post. My guild is a 3 day a week guild. We are a bit older, jobs, kids etc so we don't get as much time to raid so insights and strats from the hardcore tanks/raiders is invaluable to us. tyvm
No problem dude. That's what TS is for. Good luck.

Evereghalo
05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
OK, aside from someone wiping in phase 1-3,

when we get to phase 4 my grp is just having problems.

Me, prot pally,

2 CoH preists, and 1 Holy Pally,

How the hell do I survive the laser barage when it goes over me?

If i strafe fast, he goes crazy,

If i strafe slow, he keeps on his track, should I just strafe very slow clockwise so that I can keep ahead of the laser barage?

please help.

fuzzbob
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM
We downed him last night on 25, a few things noted...
P3. I tanked (prot pally) all the assault bots and junk bots no problem for most attempts. Our DK tank just made the bomb bots eat his bone shield. On the kill attempt the DK held most of the junk bots, but this was just incidental.

in P4 I had some issues with getting eaten alive by the laser barrage, where I'd be tanking the base, having his body facing away from me, but couldn't turn it any further for fear of kiting the lasers onto slow moving raid members. Anyone know if divine protection would have saved me (was on CD at the time).

Echo
05-04-2009, 03:59 PM
in P4 I had some issues with getting eaten alive by the laser barrage, where I'd be tanking the base, having his body facing away from me, but couldn't turn it any further for fear of kiting the lasers onto slow moving raid members. Anyone know if divine protection would have saved me (was on CD at the time).

I find the best way to prevent this is to toggle from run to walk when positioning yourself behind mimiron as laser barrage begins. This prevents any sudden movements from happening, and gives your raid a much better chance of outrunning the barrage.

This will also allow you to back up as far as possible and avoid being to close behind the barrage, once again, while keeping boss movement to a minimum.

Oogzy
05-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Can I request your UI Addons and WTF folder? That UI is amazing.

wayne
05-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Try the UI section

Oogzy
05-05-2009, 12:46 AM
Will do.

Also, what would you guys suggest be a good compilation of classes for this fight for Ulduar10?

Forklift
05-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Ideally you want a warrior or DK MT (I think a 4-piece warrior works best, spell reflect)
A Pally or DK OT
A hunter or warlock for the assault bots
Two aoe and one tank healer
Whatever else. Ranged is slightly better than melee due to the rockets and the fact that melee can get gibbed by the assault bots of they pull aggro or the bot gets rooted for some reason. Also, you'll want at least two ranged (one should be the hunter/lock assault bot kiter) because melee can't hit the head in phase 4.

Ray
05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
For phase 2:

Im looking for some kinda confirmation on how rapid burst works.... There are some sites that say its a targeted attack and others that say its targeted yet conal. which is it? is it single target or is it an AoE? And if it targets a melee, can they just run through the boss to avoid most of the damage without the boss turning?

We havent had many attempts in 25 man, but plenty of attempts in 10 man, and im just trying to work out the best way to handle the damage in phase 2 and 4.

Thanks

Zoal
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Was trying Mimiron last night 10man. Phase 4 was annoying me with the pathing. I got killed once because I couldnt get away from the front of the torso during a P3Wx2 as he would adjust his positioning whenever i tried to circle away - i'll have to try having walk on or making very small adjustments.

I got killed another time because a rocket landed on me and I had no idea since the tank unit was covering the floor under me. Seems to have a very small following hit box like Grobb had. Have not managed to kill him yet.

G-Rain
05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone. My guild has been working on this boss all week, and even though we've surgically tuned our efficiency in the first 3 phases to perfection, we just can't seem to get the 4th phase down. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Our 10man setup:

MT: Unholy DK
Phase 3 Tank: Hunter
Healers: Holy Pally, Resto Druid, Disc Priest
DPS is mixed, with 3 melee and 3 ranged

We found that in Phase 3, we can spam heals on our hunter and have him tank the head. Our DK tank also had little problem tanking the assault bots, while I would just eat the bomb bots. Going into Phase 4, we rarely, rarely have anyone dead. As I'm sure you've all found, going into Phase 4 without even one member of your raid, extremely gimps you.

On Phase 4, however, the cluster f begins. Contrary to posts on this thread, we've found that the laser barrage DOESN'T target anyone specifically. It rather chooses a position, generally favoring one of the 3 lines on the ground, then begins pathing slowly, rotating clockwise every time. You would think that'd make it easier. From a positioning standpoint, whether or not this is true, we're having problems just staying alive. We try and return to some semblance of our Phase 2 positioning to ensure that healers are in range. Of course, our MT tries to keep him centered throughout. Aside from fast reaction to bombs/mines/lasers/novas, is there something that my raid is missing?

reasonyousmile
05-05-2009, 12:27 PM
We, like many guilds, have phases 1-3 down pat - it's phase 4 where we go SNAFU.

Hell, the whole damn thing is pretty buggy. Yesterday we had people trying to target bombbots and couldn't, we had people standing on the opposite side of laser barrage getting killed by... laser barrage, and then if he moves even half a yard during his phase 4 spin up, it's a wipe. It's too bad we can't kite him into Yogg-Saron's room during P4, since it'd wipe him out too :p

I'll try the walking strategy, and the P4 spin-up 2-tank taunt strategy I've heard of elsewhere on the forums, but I have to say that I'm really worn down on this guy after 2 nights of wipes and can't wait to start fresh on today's reset.

OnourisofRavencrest
05-05-2009, 12:32 PM
I got killed another time because a rocket landed on me and I had no idea since the tank unit was covering the floor under me. Seems to have a very small following hit box like Grobb had. Have not managed to kill him yet.

I've killed him once in ten man and once in 25 (last night, yay!). What you described happened to me early on in our ten man p4 attempts so I decided to never stop moving. I go mostly back and forth but I'll mix it up out of boredom or due to spin up. Probably annoys the hell out of the melee but its better to have a live tank I would think.

Kaellinth
05-06-2009, 12:11 AM
My guild luckily has two Ret Pallies with Divine Sacrifice and 2/2 Divine Guardian for this encounter in the 10 man version. We had the ret pallies rotate using Divine Sacrifice and Hand of Sacrifice to help mitigate the damage of Plasma Blast in Phase 1. Divine Sacrifice also provided use in Phases 2 and 4.

(The Paladins did bubble when they used these tactics.)

Edit: This is for a single tank strategy.

winnetou
05-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Like many others, we struggled during p4 due to his erratic repositioning. I suppose that would be my mistake, but I'll be snotty and simply call it bad design since it seems a common issue.

Thanks for the video (although I watch these after actually learning the fights). One thing I'd like to add since it was only approximated: The range of Shock Blast - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63631) is 15 yards according to the tooltip. Based on his starting position, two round floor decorations (along the lines) equal 30 yards (maximum charge distance).

Scotthew
05-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Ciderhelm, are you planning on doing a 25-man Mimiron video? After a couple nights of work we beat this guy on 10-man, but we'll be hitting him on 25 here shortly and I'd like to get an idea what I'm in for. :3

Frostavenger
05-09-2009, 11:22 PM
We seem to be having a very hard time on Phase 1 with a DK MT and a Pally OT.
Both tanks have 43k life with our only 2 raid buffs Kings and Fort. our healers are resto shammy and 2 holy Preist's. We just cant get him past phase 1 at all even with blowing all our CD's.

But the week b4 we had a resto druid Holy pally and preist and and we had no prob with this dude what so ever.

Btw this is all on 10man

Machus
05-10-2009, 07:34 PM
We just got there tonight with our 10-man group. A question I have is, is this best approached as a DPS or endurance/survivability fight? I can see the merit of DPS to reduce the number of plasma blasts and mistakes generally. But I can also see the merit of going more slowly and having good survivability in your raid to avoid dying to the various forms of raid damage. Any thoughts/recommendations?

shez
05-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I've killed him once in ten man and once in 25 (last night, yay!). What you described happened to me early on in our ten man p4 attempts so I decided to never stop moving. I go mostly back and forth but I'll mix it up out of boredom or due to spin up. Probably annoys the hell out of the melee but its better to have a live tank I would think.

movement is bad (was told by melee), so i only move when necessary, rockets was visible to be even when i was covered entirely by the base (gnome warrior). But it seems mimiron base hit box has been increased this week, and i'm not covered by the base anymore.

Only tricky part was mimiron did shock blast and laser barrage at the same time exactly, I had no choice but to eat the shock blast, unfornately shield wall was on CD (had last stand up).... luckily our OT was up....and it was our first kill in 25man..

@Frostavenger - did you have fire resist up?
We did p1 with me (warrior tank) and pally tank, 43k and 42k hp raid buff respectively, we had no problem at all

1. Shield wall
2. last stand
3. Pally CD
4. Priest CD if needed (usually done with p1 before 4th is needed)

I believe we had pally + druid + holy priest on tank in p1

That was in 25man. In 10man we didn't need cooldowns at all, and i solo tank 10man (killed mimiron 2 times so far in 10man). In 10man, plasma hits 16.7k per tick on me.

Triank
05-10-2009, 10:51 PM
We started learning Mim last thursday about 2.5 hours of attempts. To our delight we got to phase 4 pretty fast. Then the suck sets in.

As the MT I have been trying everything I can to not die to barage/shockblast/bombs.

I am a tauren and on some attempts it seems i cant get far enough in from of him while tanking that my hit box is not on the side of the barage. Strafing during barage then having shock blast come and having to get out but eating bombs. Phase 4 is definately a challenge. I am going to have to try the walk/run thing. I will definately try this next week. 25% is our best attempt in phase 4. Doing ok but frustrating trying to put the puzzel together.

dagimp007
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
That was in 25man. In 10man we didn't need cooldowns at all, and i solo tank 10man (killed mimiron 2 times so far in 10man). In 10man, plasma hits 16.7k per tick on me.

are u serious... we have a warrior tank in 10 man had 4 healers on him (i went holy for the fight) and we couldn't keep him up with out using CD and he has more HP then you do unbuffed

Sunna
05-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Okay so no one in our raid can figure out what is going on with Phase 4 for us. We get down all the other phases perfect now but Phase 4 when they start getting low we all just die. Healers got mana and are healing. Any thoughts on what might be going on? :confused:

You can have a Death Knight tank the head. (DK took my warlock job of tanking it. :mad:)

Edit: 2 DK, 1 lock, 1 mage, 1 shammy, 2 pallys, 2 priest, and 1 rogue.
The shammy and the priest and one pally were heals.
Range: mage and lock
meele: the DK, other pally and rogue

Frostavenger
05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
movement is bad (was told by melee), so i only move when necessary, rockets was visible to be even when i was covered entirely by the base (gnome warrior). But it seems mimiron base hit box has been increased this week, and i'm not covered by the base anymore.

Only tricky part was mimiron did shock blast and laser barrage at the same time exactly, I had no choice but to eat the shock blast, unfornately shield wall was on CD (had last stand up).... luckily our OT was up....and it was our first kill in 25man..

@Frostavenger - did you have fire resist up?
We did p1 with me (warrior tank) and pally tank, 43k and 42k hp raid buff respectively, we had no problem at all

1. Shield wall
2. last stand
3. Pally CD
4. Priest CD if needed (usually done with p1 before 4th is needed)

I believe we had pally + druid + holy priest on tank in p1

That was in 25man. In 10man we didn't need cooldowns at all, and i solo tank 10man (killed mimiron 2 times so far in 10man). In 10man, plasma hits 16.7k per tick on me. The 1st time we did Mini was when we had a pally healer. P1 is a joke with a pally healer but this week with 2 Holy preists and a Resto shammy we just couldnt do it at all. Also Fire aura doesnt help with spellfire (aka Plasma blast) it only helps with napolm but I always have it up anyways and still get eatten

shez
05-11-2009, 07:37 PM
ah sry I thought fire resist would reduce the damage because a healer told me that and also read from a few sites.. yes i just checked it doesn't reduce plasma damage, but we always had it up so i didn't really notice.

yeah its a bit hard for resto shaman.. i usually have pally + priest on me in 10man

Forklift
05-12-2009, 01:52 AM
DKs have no problems with Plasma. Bears have no problem with Plasma. Warriors will have no problem with Plasma provided their guild was smart and loot counciled the 4-piece bonus to them. If you are the warrior tank and you've seen 4 pieces of Protector, and you haven't gotten them all, your guild deserves to wipe on Mimiron.

If you don't have the four piece, you will want to use shield wall on the second one, and split your GS, last stand, and pally sac between the first and thid. The first one is the shortest in my experience, so it's the one you can straight heal through the easiest.

Cookie
05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
DKs have no problems with Plasma. Bears have no problem with Plasma. Warriors will have no problem with Plasma provided their guild was smart and loot counciled the 4-piece bonus to them. If you are the warrior MT and you've seen 4 pieces of Protector, and you haven't gotten them all, your guild deserves to wipe on Mimiron.

If you don't have the four piece, you will want to use shield wall on the second one, and split your GS, last stand, and pally sac between the first and thid. The first one is the shortest in my experience, so it's the one you can straight heal through the easiest.
You don't need the 4pc bonus for Mimiron, and I wouldn't want to be in a guild which loots four tier tokens to someone just for a gimmick phase which can easily be done without the bonus.

Okay so no one in our raid can figure out what is going on with Phase 4 for us. We get down all the other phases perfect now but Phase 4 when they start getting low we all just die. Healers got mana and are healing. Any thoughts on what might be going on? :confused:
Maybe you're not running out of his aoe? -.-

Forklift
05-12-2009, 03:38 AM
You don't need the 4pc bonus for Mimiron, and I wouldn't want to be in a guild which loots four tier tokens to someone just for a gimmick phase which can easily be done without the bonus.Some guilds might not need the 4-piece bonus, depending on healer comp/ability. Clearly, the people who have posted about their phase 1 woes do need this bonus.

The best guilds gear up tanks first for a reason--I wouldn't want to be in a guild where loot is considered more as an ends than a means.

The Leviathan
05-12-2009, 04:44 AM
are u serious... we have a warrior tank in 10 man had 4 healers on him (i went holy for the fight) and we couldn't keep him up with out using CD and he has more HP then you do unbuffed
I don't undsertand why people don't think they should be using cooldowns during phase 1. That's when the tank soaks the most dmg. I've been warrior tanking this guy and that's the only real dmg I take. Interrupt the assault bots casts and they don't do crap for dmg. Blow cooldowns on Phase 1. After that the only hard part is avoiding missles in phase 4 because the boss manages to obscure the targeting ring.

shez
05-12-2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, 16.7k dmg / sec for 6 sec is definitely healable with 2 healers (pally + druid), don't know why we did that tbh, but i always had nothing on 3rd in 10man, so they had to heal through it. I think i was trying to save cds for other phases (first time on mimiron and didn't read any strat, and someone told me i have to use cd in p4, and i didn't know how long between p1 and p4), which turned out to be wrong...its not needed, but good to use in those oh shit moments)

But if you have CDs, you should use it in p1....you wont' need cds in p2 and p3, your shield wall and last stand and healer cd (if any) will definitely be up again in p4 even untalented and unglyphed. There's no reason not to use CDs in p1.

Now I'm using CDs in 10man even its not needed just make it easier for the healers.

hmm if your warrior has 43k hp unbuffed.. something is wrong with his gear... mimiron also melees when he does plasma....maybe thats why he was dropping so fast.

dagimp007
05-12-2009, 02:02 PM
hmm if your warrior has 43k hp unbuffed.. something is wrong with his gear... mimiron also melees when he does plasma....maybe thats why he was dropping so fast.

no not 43k unbuffed lol... i went to your armory which shows you at 29k unbuffed and the warrior i use is about 31k unbuffed and we have 4 heals on him, 3 are awsome healers as they are our main heals and the 4th one just out rite sucks at healing (yes its me i tank not heal lol).. and i dont know if we just sucks at that part for mass healing him or what but for some reason we can't keep him up if we dont got soemthign on him

Inaara
05-12-2009, 02:07 PM
no not 43k unbuffed lol... i went to your armory which shows you at 29k unbuffed and the warrior i use is about 31k unbuffed and we have 4 heals on him, 3 are awsome healers as they are our main heals and the 4th one just out rite sucks at healing (yes its me i tank not heal lol).. and i dont know if we just sucks at that part for mass healing him or what but for some reason we can't keep him up if we dont got soemthign on him

Cooldowns need to be staggered during the plasma blasts. As a DK I use IBF for the first one, a priest guardian spirits me for the second, I IBF the third, if it goes to a fourth then another priest Guardian spirits me. Pain suppression and other damage reducing CD's would work as well.

Since the tank in questin is a Warrior he should be rotating Last Stand and Shield Wall with healer CD's thrown in there somewhere. Preferably he would use his CD's first so they'll be up later in the fight.

fuddjupp
05-12-2009, 03:05 PM
It is no problem at all to switch tanks in phase 1. I (Warrior) tank first an burn SW on the 1. Plasma. Pally OT taunts the boss of me an burns his SW on the 2nd Plasma. The third Plasma can be mitigated by a Priest CD on tank 1 or tank 2 or you can have a 3rd tank taunt him an blow his Shildwall.

shez
05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

ah ok, in my block set on armory, normally I've 33.1k unbuffed which makes 43k raid buffs.

Machus
05-12-2009, 07:18 PM
OK, having seen this for another night it's pretty obvious that it's an endurance fight. Everyone just has to avoid, absorb, etc. as much damage as possible, save mana, and slowly DPS the boss. Currently our group is learning Phase 3.

fuddjupp
05-13-2009, 03:04 AM
How do I tank the air unit in phase 3?

It would be great to get some information about this method. I want to try it next ID because our first attempts in 25man with an Warlock-tank weren't that good.

My Questions are:
1. Which spell has to be reflected? Does he cast more than one spell?
2. Is Spellreflect and (Heroic Throw) all you need to do to hold aggro?
3. Do you need imp. Spellreflect + Glyph?

Croth
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
We wan't Ciderhelm instead of a male Belf, thats so nasty

Muffin Man
05-13-2009, 12:45 PM

It would be great to get some information about this method. I want to try it next ID because our first attempts in 25man with an Warlock-tank weren't that good.

My Questions are:

If you try the warrior way, then you heroic throw when he becomes targetable, then SR ever time you can (I think the plasma bolt is what he shoots). Optionally, warriors can level up gun skill while spamming SR. No one else touches the head until it lands.

Untalented/unglyphed spell reflect are just fine if you use a warrior tank.

Forklift
05-14-2009, 04:29 AM
RE: Reflect tanking the Mimiron head, you can see how I do this in the video I posted above. Basically:

1. Make sure you have the rage at the beginning of phase 3, and tell ranged DPS to wait until it starts casting the first plasma ball before hitting it.
2. Taunt the head as soon as it's targetable and hit spell reflect. With the first reflect, you should have 16k damage's worth of threat on the boss, and you'll pull it back from whoever pulled aggro.
3. Reflect on cooldown (make sure he's not getting ready to drop a bomb bot or your reflect will run out before his next plasma ball).
4. Taunt the bomb bots about 1s after they land and make sure they explode on you, away from the raid.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Squashed
05-14-2009, 05:03 AM

My Questions are:

1. Plasma Ball or Plasma Blast, dont remember. No
2. Yes, taunt when he becomes targetable, spell reflect, heroic throw. Hit SR every cooldown
3. No

Its very easy if your DPS doesn't go insane and instead kills the assault bots. The intent of the phase is to DPS the head on the ground and light dots in the air, you dont need full air DPS.

Also, during P4 the aggro table from P3 carries over (and P1 to P4), so if you die you end up causing TONS of raid wide damage. I usually do not tank P4 and instead offtank it

fuddjupp
05-14-2009, 05:41 AM
RE: Reflect tanking the Mimiron head, you can see how I do this in the video I posted above. Basically:

1. Make sure you have the rage at the beginning of phase 3, and tell ranged DPS to wait until it starts casting the first plasma ball before hitting it.
2. Taunt the head as soon as it's targetable and hit spell reflect. With the first reflect, you should have 16k damage's worth of threat on the boss, and you'll pull it back from whoever pulled aggro.
3. Reflect on cooldown (make sure he's not getting ready to drop a bomb bot or your reflect will run out before his next plasma ball).
4. Taunt the bomb bots about 1s after they land and make sure they explode on you, away from the raid.
5. ???
6. Profit!

Great. Thank you very much :). We will engage Mimiron on Sunday or Tuesday for the 2nd time and i think this strategy will make things a lot more easy!

dagimp007
05-14-2009, 09:11 AM
1. with a prot warrior tanking in phase 3 can they eat the bombs or do they take damage and isn't a good idea

2. can other tanks tank phase 3...like a prot pally (they have Exorcism (http://thottbot.com/s879),Avengers sheild, also Hammer of the Rightous might be able to hit him, same with sheild of rightous haven't tested those) i know they will take more damage then a warrior reflecting but it better then a DPS doing it IMO if it works....... this is is of course thinking i have alll DPS on adds and only goign to boss when we pull him down

Celandro
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I was having some success tanking the head and using a concussion blow macro on the bomb bot. We only got to P3 one time so take this with a grain of salt.

/target Bomb
/cast Concussion Blow
/targetlasttarget

Denaro
05-17-2009, 06:40 AM
nice movie...very nice...1 problem...my guild has almost no ranged :( only a hunter!

G-Rain
05-17-2009, 09:52 PM
Finally! After a total of 44 attempts over 2 weeks, we finally clowned this guy in 10man.

A few things I hope people find useful:

You can easily have a clothie tank the head in phase 3 and 4 with proper spam heals.

Any plate DPS can eat the bomb bots in Phase 3, especially if a disc priest is spamming shields.

Our DK tank (the only legit tank in our composition against this boss) had no problem tanking the assault bots.

In phase 4, it's best if the melee DPS is as far from the tank as possible, as to decrease the chance of the tank needing to adjust for Laser Barrage. This generally meant staying to the rear of the bottom portion.

If the tank does have to adjust for Laser Barrage, it's best to toggle the "walk" command on as he marches a perfect circle around the boss. This helps keep Mimiron perfectly in the center. Otherwise, we had problems with Mimiron wanting to strafe on the Tank, rather than just pivot.

Don't bother using baby spice. (Don't ask...)

Good luck, guys!

fuddjupp
05-18-2009, 05:57 AM

5. ???
6. Profit!

works perfect!

Moomofo
05-18-2009, 06:26 AM
We had warlock on head in phase 3, feral druid taking bombs and me (warrior me) tanking adds.

TBH we found the fight pretty easy. Wiped about 5-6 times though 4-5 of us had done the encounter before so that probably helped with tactics.

It was my first time and tbh I found it a lot easier than Freya. Kinda wierd as everyone says Freya is a free kill but we wiped loads and loads on her and really not much on mimiron.

I'd say do practically no DPS on head in the air in phase 3 and focus on getting the adds down quick. It's easy to get too swarmed if you focus too much on head imo.

Celandro
05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
I was having some success tanking the head and using a concussion blow macro on the bomb bot. We only got to P3 one time so take this with a grain of salt.

/target Bomb
/cast Concussion Blow
/targetlasttarget

Finally killed him last night.

With a frost trap under mimiron and staggering concussion blow and shockwave, only 1 or 2 bombs moved an inch. Those I charged and shield slammed and backed back up. We'd use a core immediately after killing a bomb bot and id stun the bomb bot that drops right after hes mobile again.

The biggest deal for a tank in P4 is to turn on your walk button when he does spinning up and slowly strafe around. Dont forget to turn walk back off for getting out of the shock blast though. Also you need to charge right back in after the shock blast. There is a very difficult timed shock blast -> spinning up fairly late in P4 which is going to kill people if you dont charge back in and turn on your walk button.

Other than rockets killing me, everything went extremely smoothly.

dontazemebro
05-22-2009, 06:53 AM
my guild has successfully downed this boss once in 10 man and can consistently make it to phase 4 before things go wrong. overall, phases 2 and 4 give us the worse problems of any so i'd like to go over what we've done to solve them.

we always bring 3 ranged/3 melee 1 tank and 3 healers

phase 1
plasma blast
paladin's bubble then hand of sacrifice on the main tank for the first one.
main tanks cooldown for the second.
and just huge spam heals and any additional cooldowns for the 3rd plasma blast.

phase 2
positioning
we split up our ranged in 3 groups of 2; a ranged dps standing with a healer. and these groups are split up about 10-15 yards apart so everyone will be in range of heals

with ranged split up this way, it was easy to identify where he was focusing his ranged damage, Rapid Burst, toward and direct heals effectively. also, the ranged seem to have no problem with rockets since they had a dedicated spot to stand.

as the main tank, i used phase 2 to help heal and call for rockets. also, this is a great time to practice finding the safe spot to stand for Laser Barrage as a tank.

phase 3
bomb bots
when the bomb reaches a target it explodes for 20,000 damage. as long as a target is topped off they can taunt a bomb bot, take the 20k and get topped off again. so we just dedicated a DPS warrior/druid/pally/dk to this

ranged tank
we found using a shadow priest to tank the head worked the best for us. and had our 2nd healer dedicated to him.

assault bots
our main tank picked up all the adds while DPS focused on only the Assault Bots while the tank killed off the junk bots.

phase 4
we setup our ranged the same way and split them up in 3 groups 10-15 yards apart. ranged dps standing with a healer.

3 melee DPS on the Bottom
3 ranged DPS on the Head

1 healer for bottom tank
1 healer for top tank
1 healer for raid

as ranged, watch for rockets and survive laser barrage
as melee, stay to the back of the boss at all times. stare at rockets on his back so you're never the victim of one.

in phase 4, like phase 2, the raid warning for laser barrage gives you nearly 3 seconds to place yourself before the channeling begins. therefore, the main tank should have 3 seconds to place themselves correctly before his cast starts.

as the main tank, i take these few seconds to identify where mimiron's back is and run to a spot that i will not have to move during laser barrage. usually, this spot is directly behind his left arm. once at this safe spot, i can just hold mimiron still and the Laser Barrage should end before it ever reaches me and the boss will not move. our raid has had pretty smoothe laser barrages. which seems to be a huge key to phase 4.

once the head or bottom reaches 10% we had our dps switch to the middle until all 6 dps were bringing the middle down even with the other consoles. had 1 melee and 1 ranged assigned to stay on the middle and the other 4 dps switched back to thier original targets and burned him down the rest of the way.

however, my problem with this boss is his hitbox. it would seem like he has almost two hit boxes. one larger than the other. one at the tip of the machine, and another about 5 yards inside him.

the problem i run into is that i get stuck inside him and cannot get to the outside hitbox and end up missing the rocket target under me because all you see is leviathan.

i've had some success getting on the edge of his hit box by letting him meet up with me after a shock blast has finished, rather than running through him.

hope this helps

Yakra
05-22-2009, 10:57 PM
I'll contribute a link to the strat I wrote (http://mirrorshield.blogspot.com/2009/05/yakras-mimiron-tanking-guide.html) for Mimiron-25 (its too long to repost), which my guild has used successfully to down Mimiron. It covers everything, with a tank focus - and has a companion guide for healing (http://hotstree.blogspot.com/2009/05/mimiron-healing-guide-with-healing.html).

I got a bit of it from here, but we did some things different then the posted guide.

Infinity
05-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Its extremely hard to outheal the plasma blast thingy on phase 1. Its about 5 ticks of 17k damage (20k before stance/talent modifiers).

On 10man our usual tanking setup is 2 prot warriors. With our dps we were getting 3 blasts in phase 1. What worked best for us was first warrior tanks for the first 2 blasts with SW and LS for each and after the second we switch tank (he's tauntable) and the 2nd tank SWs for the 3rd blast.

For phase 2 I disagree on usage of bloodlust. The aoe damage is fairly easy to outheal and the phase overall is not hard at all. Imo bloodlust is better used on either 3rd or 4th phase.

For phase 3 I suggest kiting. I hunter or ele shaman can very easily kite the biggy and all you need is a priest to dispell when kiter gets stunned. While its defo doable to tank kiting guarantees a smooth phase while tanking them can result on a dead tank since they hit for ~25k on 10man and I would assume ~35k on heroic (havent tried 25man yet). Should be mentioned that they can be slowed by anything (frost shock, earthbind totem, chains of ice, you name it) as well as stunnable. We were just kiting, ranged dps on them, melee on small robots and charge/conc blow or charge/shockwave on every cooldown. Worked like a charm.

I can't comment on phase 4 since we didn't actually kill it :(

Edit: For phase 3 its possible to have a warrior tank tanking actually. Just open with heroic throw and then spell reflect his 9k (on 10man) hits. Thats some massive threat and since your ranged dps will not be able to go all out (they have to take care of the bots) as long as you spell reflect everytime its on CD you can actually tank it. Not that you have to but its cool nonetheless :D

I solo tank the 1'st phase of mimiron as a warrior tank, I know it's not ideal and a DK would be that much better but I haven't died to the plasmablast, I simply pop shieldwall on the first, last stand on the second and if there is a third I use a potion / healthstone and Repelling charge (Another ~3000 HP). Also in p3 we found that having me taunt the bombbots and having our feral druid in DPS gear tank the assault bot a very good tactic, by doing this we ensure him beeing down only using 2 cores. We're still struggling in p4 though, should be going down today ! :)

Mookey
05-25-2009, 04:25 AM
We also use war to tank head unit and dispose bomb bots, as mentioned goal here is to have heavy dmg on assault bots and dps head when it's on the ground only.

Keep in mind that having warrior on assault bots is also great once he get used to time magnetic spells - he can reflect them for 30% more dmg taken on bots.

If you have 2 warriors like we do, one who tanks bottom part and one who tanks head part in p3, it's kinda great way to talented spell reflect rotations in p4 - saves lot of healing and gives lot of dmg to mimiron.

Infinity
05-26-2009, 02:06 AM
Finally down after 2 days of wiping, lovely boss I have to say. So, General Vezax here we come :)

quinten
05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
I have had trouble picking up rocket strikes on my location in phase 4 while tanking him. I am a gnome tank and as such I can often not see my character model through the ram on the front of the tank. I think this is causing me confusion as to where I am in relation to the incoming rocket strike and I will occasionally end up being hit which obviously results in a wipe. To make matters worse, much of the circle is obscured by the tank, making it even more difficult.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to compensate for these problems? I ate a rocket strike at 2% 2% 2% last night and needless to say it was disheartening.

Ciderhelm
05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Added the addendum for phases 2 and 4 to this thread!

Linville
05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Ahh Thanks So Much for this Video!
The Guild Im in Has Me Go Ret for the encounter and we have a DK tank him and He always got Ran over and one Shotted =D hope to try this out later this week.
thanks again =D

Gertiploiss
05-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Now only if we can get past the first phase. Seriously, my guild is having so much trouble just getting to Phase 2 that the addendum (although nice) isn't currently of use to us. Any suggestions besides "l2play" posts?

Emerys
05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
First I wanted to respond to Jock

We handled it by placing priest's Guardian Spirit on our main tank so he could absorb shock blast but he still had to move away from p3wX2 barrage.

As for phase 2 in my guild we do it a bit differently maybe this tactic will better suit some of you, certainly does us :D
What we do is we all place ourselves around him spreading out on those glowing white thingies on the floor. Melee still moves around him to avoid damage.

Our raid damage is a bit higher but it makes avoiding p3wp3w easier.

Hope it helps!

Also I just wanted to say thanks to the entire Project Marmot team you've been a real help and keep up the great work you're doing!

Surmaaja
05-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Now only if we can get past the first phase. Seriously, my guild is having so much trouble just getting to Phase 2 that the addendum (although nice) isn't currently of use to us. Any suggestions besides "l2play" posts?

What is the proplem for you in the first phase? Tank dying to plasmablast?
Create cooldown order to help healing through it; shieldwall,pain supression,last stand, switch tank's and blow another set of cd's etc.
Healers not able to keep tank and napalm shelled people up or people dying to mines? Healing p1 should be easy compared to whats coming in p2 and dying to mines/shock-aoe-blast thingy is just stupid so not much to do about it.

Surmaaja
05-27-2009, 03:28 AM
I have had trouble picking up rocket strikes on my location in phase 4 while tanking him. I am a gnome tank and as such I can often not see my character model through the ram on the front of the tank. I think this is causing me confusion as to where I am in relation to the incoming rocket strike and I will occasionally end up being hit which obviously results in a wipe. To make matters worse, much of the circle is obscured by the tank, making it even more difficult.

Does anyone have some suggestions on how to compensate for these problems? I ate a rocket strike at 2% 2% 2% last night and needless to say it was disheartening.

Not sure if its added recently or dependable of video settings, but you can see sort of a "beam" from the sky where the rocket is about to land, also make sure you stand as far away from the boss you can so he wont cover the floor area below you.

quinten
05-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Not sure if its added recently or dependable of video settings, but you can see sort of a "beam" from the sky where the rocket is about to land, also make sure you stand as far away from the boss you can so he wont cover the floor area below you.

With the video settings I have been using I just get the ground circle which is covered by the tank. I'll try increasing them this week and get back to you if it helped.

Arnold
06-01-2009, 06:05 AM
Just wanted to share an experience from last night that inadvertently caused wipes in Phase 4. When I was tanking the tank and the body started doing the Laser Barrage, despite having turned the tank in the complete opposite direction, my toon was actually inside the tank a little bit, and the lasers annihilated me as if I were standing right in front of it.

So just something to note so that you don't have to learn as painfully as I did, make sure you're out in front of the tank and turning him (pre-nerf Mimiron anyway) and not in the body like me, or else it's a wipe :D.

Oh and watch those rockets! It's easy to get lost in the intensity and forget about them.

Tonylicious
06-01-2009, 06:17 AM
For people who have problems with deaths to rocketstrikes, I find it best to simply watch for when the rockets start to lift off, then just move from your location.

Obviously if you can see your character clearly and see no rockets you dont have to move, but sounds like Gnomes have a little issue with that!

Kerchunk
06-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Nobody should have any issues ever seeing rocket strikes. "Stuff on the ground" is no excuse because in addition to the target on the ground the rocket strikes now also project a giant glowing column of orange light into the air.

If people can't see these, they need to be replaced with someone who has eyes.

Lyco
06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
How about marking yourself so you have a huge bright Blue or Orange point of reference above your head?
That should help those that find themselves getting lost.

Infinity
06-02-2009, 12:24 AM
First I wanted to respond to Jock

We handled it by placing priest's Guardian Spirit on our main tank so he could absorb shock blast but he still had to move away from p3wX2 barrage.

As for phase 2 in my guild we do it a bit differently maybe this tactic will better suit some of you, certainly does us :D
What we do is we all place ourselves around him spreading out on those glowing white thingies on the floor. Melee still moves around him to avoid damage.

Our raid damage is a bit higher but it makes avoiding p3wp3w easier.

Hope it helps!

Also I just wanted to say thanks to the entire Project Marmot team you've been a real help and keep up the great work you're doing!

We had the same problem in p4 for a couple of tries, and I found that toogling your walk key when he's doing the barrage keeps him aiming straight, if you run and you pull the bottom around when he's doing the barrage it may cause him starting wimming around causing you to wipe the raid, also for the ones having trouble with seeing your character, I dont know if this counts as an exploit but baby spice works like a charm ;), diden't hear this from me :p

Drizzella
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM
First off, a HUGE thanks to Ciderhelm, Lore and all of the other TankSpot cast & crew for an awesome compilation of stategies for the rest of us!

Now to the meat and potatoes....:P

My guild has progressed pretty well in Ulduar and are now stonewalled at Mimiron. Total of about 40+ wipes so far, only seeing P4 maybe once (usually 1/2 the raid wipes at P2).

Our biggest problem is survivability on P2. We're not having so much problems with Laser Barrage, it's the combination of Rapid Burst/Heat Wave that is causing our healers (myself included) many many problems. We are spreading out the groups as suggested having each group stick with their healers to aid in raid healing, but we're still getting pounded. I know what our problem was last night, we only had 6 healers (1 Disc Priest, 2 Holy Priests, 1 Resto Druid, 1 Resto Shammy and 1 Holy Pally) where we would normally bring 7 or 8 for Mimiron.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated (or if any more info is needed to give any suggestions, let me know).

Forklift
06-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Everybody needs to stand in range of everybody else in p2. That way all healers can heal everybody. The point of spreading out is to 1) minimize the number of people getting hit by barrage, and 2) to spread out the rocket targets. The point is not so healers become only responsible for their own "group."

Hope that helps.

Drizzella
06-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you Forklift... it does help... but we are spreading out each group with their healers (healers are watching those others who are closeby as well), but it's not seeming to help.

Although.... I'm not too sure if we're using the entire room to spread out in (I'm positive we're using at least 240° of the room)... I'm not too sure if we are using the back of the room (opposite from entrance) to spread out dps/healers... I'll have to see and post back tomorrow (we're going back in tomorrow evening)

Fayre
06-06-2009, 11:06 AM
There are a couple of lines on the ground in a circle round Mimiron - we use the innermost one (just out from the band of white where the melee stand) to have all our ranged and healers stood. A couple of healers per 'third' of the room, but all the healers can then reach everyone in the room. This helped us a lot in reducing raid deaths in p2.

LittleDwee
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Great up; much appreciated .. phase 2 was pretty chizz but phase 4 was just rediddy .. does anyone know if mimiron gets dwee?

Fetzie
06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Ok so we got to mimiron this evening, and I was expecting the kind of trouble we had with thorim (40+ wipes >.> ).

P1 ranged spread out, healers every here and there so everyone could be healed. 3 tanks on mimiron, taunt after each plasma blast (after the shockblast), rotate shield wall, easymode.

P2 ranged on the gold circle around the boss (at about 10 yd range) so that if they get the pewpew laser barrage all they have to do is run forwards and through the boss to be safe. call out rocket strikes.

P3 warlock tanking boss, warrior under the boss picking up bombs. other two tanks pick up the scrapbots and assault bots. one person is assigned to picking up the cores and pulling the boss down. he dies in the second core.

clear up adds in phase transistion

P4 people spread out like in phase 1. single tank is on bottom half. ranged dps top part to 10% and switch to middle part. melee dps bottom part and switch to middle at 10%, then we bring them to the same health %.

1st try wipe at P2, 2nd try wipe in P3, 3rd try wipe at around 13/15/15, 4th try wipe at 0/0/1 (bottom hit 0% too early so it repaired). Tomorrow he dies.

Drizzella
06-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Just a quick up date... it seems that we were NOT all spreading out all the way around Mimiron... we did that and lo-and-behold, we one shotted him last week... Believe me when I say that spreading out all the way around him makes it much much easier on the healers as less people are taking whackings from Rapid Burst.

On to General and Yogg this coming week... w00t

Dugrofen
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Im looking for some kinda confirmation on how rapid burst works.... There are some sites that say its a targeted attack and others that say its targeted yet conal. which is it? is it single target or is it an AoE? And if it targets a melee, can they just run through the boss to avoid most of the damage without the boss turning?

I'd also like some clarification here if possible. I did search to see if this was ever responded to but either I didn't spot the answer or it was missed. :o

My guild have actually downed Mimiron now in 10 man, but we're still pretty touch and go on the encounter at the moment. We really need to be able to get him down more consistantly so we can have a good stab at Yogg.

Healing wise I'm finding phase 2 very difficult as we frequently get overwhelmed because the phase seems to go on for too long. I suspect this might be because the mele-DPS are spending too much time running out of the way of the Rapid Bursts, whether this is right or wrong I'm not sure.

We currently treat phase 2 very much like phase 1 for positioning - contrary to the TankSpot tactic video - so the cannon is moving an awful lot targeting different ranged players for Rapid Burst.

So, if someone could answer these I'd be very grateful:

Is Rapid Burst targeted on 1 specific player?
Is Rapid Burst a cone affect ability (i.e. affects players standing close to the person being targeted)?
Is it possible to move out of the way of Rapid Burst?
Is the reason why the TankSpot tactic video suggests grouping ranged into 2 seperate groups in phase 2 so that the cannon is only ever facing in 2 directions? Making it easier for the mele-DPS to focus?

Sorry for the birage (excuse the pun) of questions! ;) :o

Fayre
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Rapid burst targets a specific person (i.e. it targets someone to decide which direction the attack will be in) but does have a conal effect (i.e. it'll hit people around that area). I have never seen the cannon change direction after the initial targetting or chase someone around, therefore I think you could run out of it as melee. As ranged, it's probably not worth it - you'd have run a fair way.

What vastly improved our phase 2s was to have the entire raid close enough that all healers could reach and heal all the groups. We stay spread like in p1 (i.e. a third of the ranged and healers in each 'third' of the room) but we move in to stand on the second circular line 'out' from the centre. All healers are assigned to general raid healing. Stepping even a few steps back from that second line means you're not in range across the circle and can cause problems.

Hope that's helpful.

Genova
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
We downed him Monday night on 25man, In all honesty 25man seems easier than 10man. A lot more forgiving. A few tricks we used is in P1 our prot warrior got the idea to spec into Safeguard - Thottbot: World of Warcraft (http://thottbot.com/s46947) that, so when he innervenes me I take 30% less damage. This seems to come up enough where with my own cooldowns and his ability, we dont have to switch tanks out at all on P1.

I made a taunt macro for P3 that Targets bomb, taunts bomb, and marks with star just in case i miss it.

P4 wasnt too much fun as Mimiron seems to like to switch his abilities out. Warrior spell reflect tanked P3 and P4 with hardly any issues. This fight was pretty enjoyable out of all the more difficult encounters.

Welfor
06-30-2009, 02:02 AM
People that are plate wear should beable to take the hits from the bomb bots on phase 3.

I've done this awhile with my Death Knight and it is quite useful because you dont really have to worry about them at all.

And another is thing that I've done was save up all three electromagnets and use them all to make this little easier because the dps can just Focus Fire on the head until its dropped. And also is that once the first electromagnet is dropped Bloodlust or Heroism durring the first electromagnet so drops the head faster and easier to begin phase 4.

Forklift
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
You can't save up three disks. They have a despawn timer; by the time you've looted the third, the first will have disappeared.

Welfor
06-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Well what you have to do is not to Dps down the big guys first until the third one is up. Then you dps them down and obtain all three electromagnet and down the boss. I thought this was the fastest way.

NesaddictZer0
07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
This may sound very silly, but you can throw a baby spice at the body and tank of Voltron to make him easier to hit during the fight for a short period of time so that Melee dps can deal damage to the head from just standing in the hit box

hexagram
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Quick question...in there 10man version how many actual tanks do we need?

I'm a druid with a high grade Oomkin set for my offset, so I was thinking if I can just use my DK tank for the whole fight, I'll re-spec to tank the head :)

Nogara[
07-14-2009, 02:46 AM
Greetings.

There's conflicting info regarding my question all over the place (both here and on other guides).

The assault bots in phase 3...whats the word on a tank actually tanking them.

There seem to be a lot of conflicting info regarding these, some saying they're untankable and others saying they should be tanked.

Basically I'm trying to figure out where the second tank (if one is used) would be most useful...tanking the assault bots or eating the bombs.

Any thoughts regarding this matter?

(This is on 10man btw :) )

Fayre
07-15-2009, 01:07 AM
They are very much tankable in both the 10 and 25 man. It didn't use to be that way, but it changed early on. All I would say is that either he, or a melee dps, needs to interrupt the channelled cast the assault bot does occasionally - that significantly reduces their damage.

We usually have one tank on the assault bots and one warrior on the head using spell reflect for aggro. He also grabs and explodes the bomb bots, which is pretty efficient. In the 10 man you could probably have any plate wearing class taunt and explode the bombs out of the way without too much trouble.

DKTankaholic
07-18-2009, 10:02 AM
I have a question about phase 2 "shot gun damage", Per wow wiki, it's showing that Rapid Burst (http://www.wowwiki.com/Special:Outbound?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwowhead.com%2F%3Fs pell%3D64531) – deals 2,545 to 2,855 damage to all targets in front of VX-001. Now does that mean it's 2.5k To Every Individual or 2.5K Spread out in a group?

agranyoch
07-25-2009, 09:40 AM
I have a question about phase 2 "shot gun damage", Per wow wiki, it's showing that Rapid Burst (http://www.wowwiki.com/Special:Outbound?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwowhead.com%2F%3Fs pell%3D64531) – deals 2,545 to 2,855 damage to all targets in front of VX-001. Now does that mean it's 2.5k To Every Individual or 2.5K Spread out in a group?
To each and every one individually, at least as far as I know.

Domme
09-01-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the hard work and time spent making these movies. We only raid a few days a week and only for a couple hours at a time so they have been a great deal of help as my guild progresses its way through Uld. Awareness is the single most important thing in a raid and you provide just that, well at least a good base anyway =)

We Are on Mimiron now and P1-P3 are pretty much trivial, we have our main amount of trouble on P4. But after a few tries with me tanking P4 (Prot Pally) we decided to have our warrior tank it. I dont want all the warriors heads to swell, but I believe a warrior is better suited for P4 because of the (I think its intervine) and charge mechanic. Keeping Mimiron centered and not moving around alot helped dramaticly. Now if our ranged DPS wasnt attracted to the bright red circles on the ground we would have this encounter in the bag.

Jumping and SoTR just couldnt beat the head down fast enough =( j/k

Hauby
10-12-2009, 04:32 PM
hey, one question on this fight,

i havnt read all the comment on thi so sorry if its already been asked.

on Phase two why do they group the dps and healers up? surely the that group would take alot more damage then if they spread out around him?

Jakeoman
11-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Just one question... in phase 4 can melee even hit the head?

Kazeyonoma
11-17-2009, 06:43 PM
jake, no they cannot, they can throw... that's about it...

so you have to have at least 2 ranged to legitimately kill the head for this fight.

consul
11-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I accept with information:Its very easy if your DPS doesn't go insane and instead kills the assault bots. The intent of the phase is to DPS the head on the ground and light dots in the air, you dont need full air DPS and during P4 the aggro table from P3 carries over (and P1 to P4), so if you die you end up causing TONS of raid wide damage.