PDA

View Full Version : Avoidance/Stamina Issues

Solasun
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Firstly the hopefully working link to my armory.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Chamber+of+Aspects&n=Nixkamich)

As you can see from my armory I'm currently way over the defense minimum for heroics (563 defense skill) and my dodge/parry/block seems low (18.84/17.03/18.53%) which is mildly concering but I'm sitting at 23397 hit points unbuffed and 25625 hit points with Commanding Shout.

I, from reading around, see most sites saying that this is fine to begin tanking heroics with but I'm constantly getting flak from my healers and sometimes rather snide comments like "Woah is this instance THE Mortal Strike Instance?" or "Are you really def capped/in your tanking gear??" and the like.

It's really kind of disheartening at times and well, I see their point. I'm squishy. I feel squishy, everytime I see trash hitting me for 4-5k I'm left thinking "according to everyone else I'm taking this fine, but I drop like a stone half the time."

So I'm wondering... what can I do? My browsing says that there's nothing in normal instances which will help me upgrade (beyond maybe a Signet but Loken and pugs on my server seem to not mix) and I have issues tanking past Nexus/Utgarte Keep (though with a fantastic healer I managed to blow through Utgarte Pinnacle and the Old Kingdom) but places like Violet Hold and Azjol destroy me.

Just as an idea of my progression I'm currently not in a guild so I don't raid and I have 18 emblems currently and can earn maybe 9 guaranteed a day and I hit 80 around last week.

Thank you in advance.

Skyborn
04-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Armory is down at the moment, but when it comes back up I'll take a look at your gear to try and give you some suggestions. The ultimate goal is going to be to bring your dodge+parry total up above 40%.

When armory comes back up I can try and figure out the best way to achieve that.

Celestya
04-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Personally, I don't see a problem with your gear. Like you said though your defense rating is higher then it should be for a heroic instance. You might take the chance to change some of your enchants that you have that give defense, and switch these out for stuff like, Titanium Plating for your shield, exeptional health for the chestpiece, and some other nit pick enchants. Since your 20ish defense over what you should be, it'd increase your EH(Effective Health) for the better.

What you should change:

Your shield enchant --> 18 Stamina(BC Enchant)
Belt Gemming to ---> Solid Sky Sapphire(24 stamina)

The armory has a couple errors for me for some of the items, but from what I can see. Those items need to be re-enchanted/gemmed as I mentioned above.

Skyborn
04-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I personally would keep your shield enchanted with 20 defense. Defense rating is not a bad stat, even after 540, but you definitely have more than you need considering you're low in other areas.

I agree with Celestya on the belt socketing choice.

I would also change your bracer enchant to 40 stam and then make up for the missing 15 expertise with a 16 expertise gem somewhere else.

Grind out the Hodir rep for your shoulder glyph.

Your trinkets are pretty bad to be honest, there are much better options out there. You can run H-VH for the blocking trinket off Beast JR., H-AN for the stam trinket off Hadronox, or just buy the Valor Medal dodge trinket with badges.

As far as badge gear goes... this will likely be your biggest upgrade and what you should focus on attaining first: Waistguard of Living Iron - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40689)

You could also use better rings... there's a decent epic one out of Drak'Keep and if you have the gold you can buy: Titanium Earthguard Ring - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42643)
Unless you want to try and powerlevel your JC up and make it yourself (but it'll take a while, and probably end up costing just as much).

Speaking of BoE's, you should look into getting a leatherworker to make you Durable Nerubhide Cape - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43565)
Since you have so much defense on your current gear and are low on dodge and expertise, that's pretty well itemized for you.

Basically, you're going to feel squishy until you can get lucky with some epic drops out of heroics or get some heroic badge gear or shell out the money for better tanking BoE epics.

Hope that helps.

Edit: As far as feeling bad for being squishy... you have to understand that everyone starts somewhere, and your healers should realize this and be prepared for it. That being said, you can make up for some of your gear deficiencies with smart tanking / usage of your cooldowns / shieldblock / etc... but at the very least you should be running Heroic Drak Keep for the ring, Heroic Violet Hold for the Block Trinket and for Bolstered Legplates - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43500) off the last boss, and the daily heroic for the extra badges.

Voodan
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
One quick fix that will give you a great deal of EH without ever having to run a heroic: Level your Jewelcrafting!

The Monarch Crab is currently the BiS effective health trinket pre-Ulduar (by far) and has a nice on use dodge which would help you be less squishy on some pulls. Even the Ruby Hair trinket can be gemmed with 2 x dodge gems (or stam gems if you prefer) to give you a great deal of EH and/or Avoidance.

In terms of heroics, while armory is not properly showing your gear for whatever reason, there are definitely some items that you can improve upon just at first glance.
1. Essence of Gossamer from H-AN: I don't recall H-AN being difficult and I believe that I was able to tank it effectively shortly after hitting 80 on my DK. This trinket is second BiS for effective health pre-Ulduar.

2. I can't tell exactly what legs you have, but I'm pretty sure the Bolstered Legplates out of H-VH will be a big boost. Once again, I don't recall H-VH being difficult to tank. In fact, that was one of the three easiest beginning heroics if I recall correctly.

3. In terms of the heroic badge vendor, the next purchase I would make would probably be the tanking belt. It is an extremely effective avoidance piece that would help you a ton.

I hope this helps, just don't get discouraged and keep advancing your gear. As you get items, tanking will get easier and easier in terms of damage intake. Try to get into some pugs for VoA (not the new boss) and naxx as an OT if you could. Raid gear will amount to some massive upgrades for you obviously. Hope this helped!

Solasun
04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you very much for the advice. Some of it I was aware of (terrible trinkets) but I just wasn't sure where to physically go in terms of gearing/gemming/enchanting to get out of this rut I seem to be in.