PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Hodir

Ciderhelm
04-20-2009, 05:12 AM
j7TcxJY1VQw

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

Note: We really didn't get a chance to confirm the starlight was buffing melee attack speed. The debuff text makes it appear to be the case, but I can't say it with certainty.

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html
Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html
Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread

Rak
04-20-2009, 05:13 AM
A great boss for tanks to get in a nap.

Radhja
04-20-2009, 05:35 AM
A nap? lol

We did 10s last night, didn't have much problem with Flame Leviathan once the kiting strategy was figured out, but Ignis and his trash gave us fits for about an hour.

First off, the Molten Colossi were a bit tricky to get positioned correctly, but after a little LoS tweaking they dropped pretty quickly. Healers were screaming about how they couldn't heal without getting stunned... was quite funny actually. Nice to see those all-too-familiar "placement is important" fights (BWL ring a bell?) back in action.

The Magma Ragers were the only real problem we had. Once tornados were spawning in pairs, things got crazy quickly. Note to warrior tanks... if you're tanking a Magma Rager and a tornado is really really close to one, DO NOT CHARGE BACK. I had a hellish time training my fingers to NOT press Charge once I was airborne, only to get one swipe in before being flung across the room again. Fun mobs, but a real headache if you can't deal with them properly. Don't tank em against a wall either... bad times.

The other mobs in the room are no challenge, really. Just clean-up duty before pulling Ignis.

I think we tried to make the fight more complicated than it should have been. I couldn't find a good Ignis movie prior to our attempts, and my understanding was that the Constructs needed to be kited thru the scorched areas until they gain the x20 stacks and turn Molten, then drag them to the water to be shattered. Well, I kept getting burned to death trying to kite them into the flame without getting hit myself... the flames tick for ~3k and the mobs hit for 2-3k too... not much to worry about unless you only have 2 healers who are already preoccupied with the MT's healthpool. It was a flaming wipefest, LOL.

Can't wait to see this movie... load the damn thing already! :P

Edited cause I'm retarded for posting in the wrong damn thread. LOL

Ciderhelm
04-20-2009, 05:40 AM
I didn't find Hodir to be one I could sleep through b/c of the movement, but he certainly wasn't dangerous to anyone. We killed him on our second pull which means we're not 100% sure on some of the mechanics.

Radhja, wrong thread. :p Ignis movie is up!

Rak
04-20-2009, 05:48 AM
When we pulled the boss (had already killed him on PTR), I was slain almost immediately and just laid there, exhausted, watching them kill him. It's an inside joke to myself, deal with it!

Ciderhelm
04-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Movie up! Normally I edit videos to the length of the audio, but I kept the full kill in for this because the fight looks amazing. Donors should be able to download all of today's movie within ~10 minutes.

Gertiploiss
04-20-2009, 07:19 AM
Can't wait to try this guy out! As a side note, Hodir requires one tank so if your other tanks have seperate sets of gear and/or dual specs, whip them out!

Valkor
04-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Doing him tonight, cider you said you did use 2pc of FrR and the raid wore some? which did you use and is it absolutely necessary as MT?

Gertiploiss
04-20-2009, 08:06 AM
It really doesnt matter which two peices you use as long as you stay above Def cap. I would believe it's nessicary with 30000-40000 extra damage coming in the next swing(s).

izziT
04-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Our dk resisted ~20k with aura (10 man) with pala aura

If you want to give your raiders a quick overview of the fight - while it doesn't contain every abilities, it gives the average raider an idea about what to do, and when to do it:

YouTube - How To: 3D Hodir

Valkor
04-20-2009, 08:46 AM
i did the 10man last week MTing with 0 FrR and the raid had 0 FrR, only used the pally aura. I'm very well geared and we had 3 pretty amazing healers, but it really didn't feel all that scary, we 2 shot him with no problems. The 10 man definitely feels very lighter on MT damage.

Spiderhelm
04-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Might be a good idea to turn on Omen.

Akeber
04-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Might be a good idea to turn on Omen.

A troll? on Tankspot? Nice name....:rolleyes:

Darksend
04-20-2009, 10:35 AM
I have done this guy a dozen times and I have never seen the smaller runes for the normal non flash freeze snow. And while I can see the pillar of flame on ignis I cannot see the actually black burnt ground either.

Any advice?

Man▀earpig
04-20-2009, 11:03 AM
I have my graphics maxed and it alternates pulsing pillar and black ground, not sure if its supposed to.

Lore
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I have done this guy a dozen times and I have never seen the smaller runes for the normal non flash freeze snow. And while I can see the pillar of flame on ignis I cannot see the actually black burnt ground either.

Any advice?

Go into video settings, make sure Projected Textures is enabled.

I have no idea why they defaulted that off.

Lore
04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
A troll? on Tankspot? Nice name....:rolleyes:

Spiderhelm, Spiderhelm
Hey whatever, it's Spiderhelm
Kinda dumb, kinda lame
But he's really famous in a video game
Look out! Wait nevermind it's just Spiderhelm

Krenian
04-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Spiderhelm, Spiderhelm
Hey whatever, it's Spiderhelm
Kinda dumb, kinda lame
But he's really famous in a video game
Look out! Wait nevermind it's just Spiderhelm

I'll admit, I LOL'ed at work reading this. Well played Lore.

treyu
04-20-2009, 01:34 PM
so does it matter at which 2 pieces of frost res gear you need for 25? or is it 3 i need? ( warrior MT )

Gertiploiss
04-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Our tank is suiting up for Wednesday's hopeful attempt and he has 3 peices. But if you can't work around the def cap, keep it at 2

theothersteve7
04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I ran with four pieces (chest, belt, boots, ring), plus a frost resist aura, and it was REALLY easy. I resisted about 2/3 of the Frozen Blows; he hit for about normal with the buff active.

Fun fight with all the positioning the melee by lights and fires. Like Malygos without worrying about cleaves and breaths.

Grumstadt
04-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Fun fight with all the positioning the melee by lights and fires. Like Malygos without worrying about cleaves and breaths.

Excellent... you answered my question on whether or not the boss had a cleave. I assumed he did not based upon movement in the video, but wanted further confirmation.

Jericho
04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
Go into video settings, make sure Projected Textures is enabled.

I have no idea why they defaulted that off.

Because they wanted to make this encounter HARD! I kid... We actually spent some time wiping to Hodir this weekend. Probably about 45 minutes until someone said outloud "why the hell are people dying to snow?". We 2 shot him after the raid knew where not to stand. Only reason we didn't 1 shot him was cause our priest dc'd and angeled late in the fight.

--

That being said, I tanked him with just a FrR Totem in 10man. I am kind of worried about 25's. We were gonna just have our Feral tank him in full FrR, but that idea went out the door. How are people managing to stay Def capped with 3-4 pieces of FrR gear on?

anneliv200
04-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Well can't wait for Ulduar:)

Crabsecrate
04-23-2009, 01:22 AM
What are the names of the songs used in this video? :D

Echo
04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Because they wanted to make this encounter HARD! I kid... We actually spent some time wiping to Hodir this weekend. Probably about 45 minutes until someone said outloud "why the hell are people dying to snow?". We 2 shot him after the raid knew where not to stand. Only reason we didn't 1 shot him was cause our priest dc'd and angeled late in the fight.

--

That being said, I tanked him with just a FrR Totem in 10man. I am kind of worried about 25's. We were gonna just have our Feral tank him in full FrR, but that idea went out the door. How are people managing to stay Def capped with 3-4 pieces of FrR gear on?

Use a defense trinket, then gem for defense if more is needed.

Howdyho
04-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Hello.

Have you ever tested or heard if acclimation stays at 3 stacks during this fight? And would it be possible to tank it with mere acclimation and frost resistance aura, if it stays at 3 stacks? (total 280 frost resistance)

And if not, How often does Hodir do that frozen blows? Is it possible for me to just pop 21second icebound fortitude every time he does that instead of getting FR gear (reduces about 75% damage total for me)?

Jogre
04-25-2009, 04:39 AM
I have a question and a suggestion.

Suggestion: In the 10man version, we found that only freeing the mage (Missy Flamecuffs) made the fight much easier. We had all our dps free him to start, then just our 2 mages free him after flash freezes. Eventually he'll free all the other NPCs on his own allowing you to keep lots of dps on the boss.

Question: I keep reading that Hodir has two "hard modes." One for a sub 2:30 kill, and one for a sub 6min kill. My timer showed we killed him in 5:51, yet we received no extra loot. Was this removed for live?

Thanks in advance.

Durzil
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

DK tank 3 peices of epic crafted Frost Gear, Def trinket from naxx 10 + a few def gems I'm 541 Def and over resists cap with Aura.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azgalor&n=Blastphomy)

In my Frost gear right now for reference.

MouseDK
04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Hello.
And if not, How often does Hodir do that frozen blows? Is it possible for me to just pop 21second icebound fortitude every time he does that instead of getting FR gear (reduces about 75% damage total for me)?

That would mean you have an almost impossible amount of defense.

panzerfaust
05-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Does anyone know for sure if wearing frost resist gear helps to mitigate the Biting Cold damage?

We tried this last night (in heroic) and it didn't go so well. Looking at the logs after the fact, Biting Cold caused anywhere from about 17k dmg to me (MT, 540 Def, 417 FrR, ~ 43,000 HP) over 9 attempts, but it did over 400,000 dmg to some of our casters over the same number of attempts.

Granted, I know some of that will be artificially inflated as people stop moving after calling a wipe, but does anyone know if this damage can be at least partially resisted?

I'm crossing my fingers that it's not people just failing to move. :confused:

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Kancho
05-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Can you directly spell reflect when he gains Freezing Blows?

Murdog mentioned that imp. spell reflect will reflect from 2 raid members but Hodir can't be reflected without the talented version.

Confirm/Deny?

Headed in there tonight to tank it with 3 pieces of FrR gear mixed into regular tank set. Fingers crossed!

Myrm
05-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Does anyone have any opinions on how much health is really needed for this fight as a solo tank? We had some attempts at Hodir last night and got him down after a few, but threat seemed to be a much bigger issue than it should have on the attempts that we didn't get him down, though with some changes on the last one I feel it went better.

Anyway, tanking him I was in 3-piece Polar with just under 54k health raid buffed having added in a stamina trinket and switched out some agi pieces for more stam again. However I had lost ~8% crit, was down to 24 expertise from 40, and missing around 400 AP which really didn't seem to help when stacked with the damage and crit buffs.

However since the healers didn't seem to have any troubles keeping me up I'm thinking we decided on stacking too much stamina for me and I could afford to drop some, just not sure how much.

wrynn
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Cider, I am curious about the 10k crit I saw in the video.

I'm curious if you think you were under the effect of Improved Tricks of the Trade at the time or no?

If no, how in God's Name did you land a 10k crit? My highest to date is just over 9k on a priest in PvP.

Squashed
05-08-2009, 01:24 PM
During the Hodir fight, if broken out of the ice, the shamans put the Storm Cloud buff on players.

"Charges a nearby friendly target with lightning, increasing critical strike damage by 135% for 30 sec."

Dikkekoe
05-08-2009, 11:08 PM
we tried him for a few times now had him to 10% then ppl are to fucused on that worthless piece of addon recount and stopped moving and such
oh i only wish i knew where they live and kick them in the nuts personaly :mad:

Thx for the vids tho helped allot :)

Polar
05-10-2009, 09:07 PM
Can you directly spell reflect when he gains Freezing Blows?

Has anyone tried this recently and does it work? I found some reference to it working on the PTR but wonder whether it made it to live.

Edit: Tried spell reflect last night and it does not appear to reflect anything.

Bihn
05-11-2009, 06:35 AM
@Myrm: I do 2 pieces of FR gear and my healers and myself cycle CD's for Frozen Blows to be on the safe side. If you have 2 priests glyphed for GS, you should be able to have a CD available every time he gains Frozen Blows.

Our strat calls for melee to stay on the boss the entire time while ranged frees the NPC's after the Flash Freezes, so I put vigilance on a rogue for threat. Also, whenever possible, I try to find clusters of Moonbeams so both melee and myself can get the haste buff. And if you can find a Toasty Fire by a Moonbeam that's even better.

Denaro
05-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I have a question and a suggestion.

Suggestion: In the 10man version, we found that only freeing the mage (Missy Flamecuffs) made the fight much easier. We had all our dps free him to start, then just our 2 mages free him after flash freezes. Eventually he'll free all the other NPCs on his own allowing you to keep lots of dps on the boss.

Question: I keep reading that Hodir has two "hard modes." One for a sub 2:30 kill, and one for a sub 6min kill. My timer showed we killed him in 5:51, yet we received no extra loot. Was this removed for live?

Thanks in advance.

3min kill like patchwork. gogogogo

xinyang951
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
What is the all in one addons that Ciderhelm is using? cuz i couldnt find it anywhere (probly cuz i dont know what it is called) could someone be kind enough to tell me that what kinda of addon that is? i appreciate it

Crossied
05-18-2009, 08:27 AM
I have only tried this on 10-man but we can't seem to get him down. I have a chest piece of FrG and frost arua up, so I have 267 frost resist. We have got him to %1(so mad) but can't get that close anymore. It just seems like people can't stay alive, and to clear this up does the mookin's light help the melee dps? Another thing would be is it good to have a Spriest to put the debuff from the fires? We usualy don't have a hunter in the raid to use one, but if there is I'll give it a shot. We have tried him for 3 weeks now, one was with a different group, but this sucks. IMO this fight isn't that hard but the group still can't get it. Any advise for me? I have had the raid watch the videos and they still can't stay out of the flash freeze/iceicles. *sigh* I just want to get him down for the loot and to move on. Here is my armory without my frost chest on, I don't think there's a gear issue for me here.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Tichondrius&n=Grovenator)

Molohk
05-18-2009, 08:42 AM
On our first attempts we had everyone wear 2 pieces of FrR gear (chest and ring, for instance) and it made a big difference. Make sure people are staying mobile, and not stacking the debuff.

If they can't stay out of freeze and icycles, there's not much you can do other than suggest they all have "texture projection" enabled, because it's easier to see the runes on the ground than the falling snow.

Mr.Winkle
05-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Crossied

Moonkins light gives a 100% Haste buff so does indeed help the melee dps, kiting the boss through light so your melee can do more dps is beneficial.

We have a DK tank him with the FR boots plus Frost Res aura resulting in 267 Frost res like yourself.

For Frozen blows the DK uses either IBF or AMS, if they are both on cooldown he calls out on vent and i can use Aura mastery or Blessing of sacrafice and bubble myself. We found that a completely unresisted Frozen blows would kill the tank.

The debuff from the mages fire is applied by any caster, but it only increases the spell dmaage Hodir takes. If you're running with a lot of melee getting the Crit buff or standing in the Boomkin light will be more useful.

If your raid can't get out of flash freeze then you have serious problems.

If you raid is taking lots of damage do they have FR gear? And are they moving consistently?

It's worth noting that the stacking debuff will not be moved immediately upon movement. E.G. If the debuff has stacked to 3 then moving once will lose 1 stack not all 3. Make sure you raid keeps an eye on their debuff stacks.

ndb1983
05-19-2009, 06:18 AM
We did this on 10 man with a caster heavy, high dps group. I stayed in the mookins light as much as possible, my threat was awesome. When I didn't stay in the light some, the mages would overrun me. After a couple of freezes, it doesn't matter anyway, they have to break the npc's out and then you move ahead easily.

Crossied
05-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the replies......and I'll make sure to get everyone to turn on the texture projections on and to keep their slow butts moveing...lol. As you can tell this isn't a guild run, but we are used to eachother haveing been doing this for a couple weeks. I just hope we get all the "regulars" so we can finally get past this dang raid.

reytheist
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
I have never even seen the "texture projections" setting before reading this thread. I just checked it post installation of the 3.1.2 patch, and it seems they have enabled it by default now. Hopefully we'll make quick work of Hodir next time out.

huhcio
05-19-2009, 10:59 PM
We have tried him for 3 weeks now, one was with a different group, but this sucks.
I have had the raid watch the videos and they still can't stay out of the flash freeze/iceicles.
find competend guildies/ join a raiding guild- seriously will save you A LOT of stress.
if they are to damn dumb to move out of them after 3 weaks of wipefest, i honestly cant imagine them at mimiron or even thorim.

Sark
05-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies......and I'll make sure to get everyone to turn on the texture projections on and to keep their slow butts moveing...lol. As you can tell this isn't a guild run, but we are used to eachother haveing been doing this for a couple weeks. I just hope we get all the "regulars" so we can finally get past this dang raid.

In my experience, the biggest raid killer is the Biting Cold debuff. You can't really stress this enough, if people are even a little lazy about moving, this will be ticking for 5-10k damage per second on people by the end of the fight and will make raid healing impossible.

Icicles and Freezes are also a problem of course if people cannot stay out of those. A couple people taking those here or there shouldn't kill the raid though as long as everything else is done properly.

Also, are you breaking the NPCs out of the icebocks after every freeze? We usually mark the NPC mages (/tar Sissy and /tar Missy - there is only one on 10 man though) and break them out first so they can help get the others out. As a tank, I usually try to move Hodir over beside a frozen NPC or two after a freeze to make sure they are in people's field of vision and so splash damage effects are more useful.

Crossied
05-21-2009, 10:23 AM
I never thought about moving the boss next to the frozen npc's....but I make sure to have a couple people(ranged) designated to take the npc's out of flash freeze. I have been thinking about it lately and the biggest problem is a healer going down. I think they are trying to finish a cast instead of getting in the correct positions. I am taking my guildies to a different run this week though. Everyone in this weeks run knows the fights...so that'll be nice.

To huhcio's comment: I can't really join a raiding guild cus i'm the GM of this one and I don't want to leave all the hard work and good people. I'm just in the progress of making it a raiding guild instead of a social/leveling guild. There are about 6 of us at 80 that are raiding Ulduar, but we don't have another tank or the healers for it(imagine that). Just something to work on.

Agian thanks for the comments :)

Krenian
05-22-2009, 04:28 AM
A comment about this:

RNG is so domb for this fight on Hard Mode ><

Mr.Winkle
05-22-2009, 04:31 AM
If your healers aren't already, it's a good idea for them to go and stand next to the fire the mage creates so then they can soley concentrate on healing. Also i'd suggest having all yor DPS break out the mage in double quick time after each flash freeze, then just tank the boss near the other npcs to let aoe and the mage break out the others.

How many healers you running?

grimjack
05-30-2009, 12:11 PM
We've done this a couple times on 25 and keep hitting the enrage timer. The only thing I can think is we just have the ranged breaking out the flash freezes. Do other raids have everyone breaking out the flash freezes. I could not tell in the video if that was the case or how many, if any, of the npcs you lost. We use a DK to tank it who does not seem to have any problems with the fight and our warrior tank goes arms to help with DPS. We tried using 7 or 8 healers the other night to help keep people up but it didn't help with DPS either.

Surmaaja
05-30-2009, 12:41 PM
We've done this a couple times on 25 and keep hitting the enrage timer. The only thing I can think is we just have the ranged breaking out the flash freezes. Do other raids have everyone breaking out the flash freezes. I could not tell in the video if that was the case or how many, if any, of the npcs you lost. We use a DK to tank it who does not seem to have any problems with the fight and our warrior tank goes arms to help with DPS. We tried using 7 or 8 healers the other night to help keep people up but it didn't help with DPS either.

Proplems with enrage timer is propaply cause people fail to use the npc provided buffs correctly.

Mr.Winkle
05-31-2009, 05:35 AM

Have the whole raid get the 2 mages out ASAP after every Flash Freeze, then just tank the boss next to the boomkin and shammy to get the haste and crit buffs.

All ranged casters should be standing near the fires. Whoever gets the crit buff should run next to other dps, even if its a healer. Tank the boss in/near the moon beams as much as possible.

zyrasis
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I noticed while watching this movie something kinda intresting to me, and i would very much like some more infomation, or maybe an explanation.
While I was watching this movie in HD on Youtube, i noticed around 2min 30 sec in that there is an upcoming flash freeze.
What is intresting to me during the next say 16-18 seconds of this part of the movie is: to the right of the tank, at 2 min 30 secs you see a boomkin npc in flash freeze that the raid is trying to free. they free the boomkin npc, and the tanks camera angle changes quickly to so that the tank is on the edge of the rune. As the tank goes back on top of the frozen mound, when i look back to the boomkin that was just recently unfrozen, i see another toon behind him. you see the flash freeze affect, you see the boomkin npc get frozen but the toon behind, is still there and still casting with no effects of being frozen in ice. This baffles me.
Which brings me here to ask for some help and guidance, in this particular instance. Is this a glitch? is there something in the video that I am missing?

Rhylaari
06-05-2009, 11:08 PM
My guild made what I think was it's first real attempt on 10 man Hodir tonight, and it was quite a learning experience. The overall strategy of the fight is fairly straightforward, it's clearly a very mobile fight so people need to be constantly moving to avoid taking excess damage from the debuff. Group consisted of two warrior tanks with I think two pieces of frost resist gear each on them, 1 paladin healer, 2 druid healers, 2 shadow priests, one Ret paladin, one balance druid and one elemental shaman. I had a few questions i'm hoping someone might be able to answer. How important is the frost resist gear to have? I don't know anything about how resist gear mitigates damage, so i'm not at all sure what amount of frost resist is ideal to have here without gimping dps to the point where it becomes impossible to down the boss. With the exception of the tanks, I don't think anyone else in the raid had any frost resist gear on so we were taking some decent damage from the aoe and debuff at times.

The real problem we were running into was even with most of the group managing to survive, we weren't even able to get him down past 50% before the enrage timer hit. Just where dps is focused on is clearly an issue here it would seem. The one thing that was going on was every time the aoe freeze happened and the npcs got frozen, all the dps was focused on getting those npcs out of the ice tombs. There was a comment I found on this thread suggesting that just freeing the mage and allowing him to free the others is a better strategy? I'm also wondering if some of it may be fault with the composition of the raid group. It is very ranged heavy, only one melee dps besides the tanks, so would it possibly work better to have a better mix of ranged and melee dps, let the ranged work at freeing the tombed npcs and keep melee on the boss as much as possible? I'm just hoping to find some information that might help my raid group down this boss. I've found these videos and accompanying threads to be immensely helpful when it comes to educating myself on raid encounters so I have an idea of what to expect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Bornshire
06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Does standing Hodir in the snowfall do any damage to him at all? someone on the server mentioned that it does. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Mr.Winkle
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
My guild made what I think was it's first real attempt on 10 man Hodir tonight, and it was quite a learning experience. The overall strategy of the fight is fairly straightforward, it's clearly a very mobile fight so people need to be constantly moving to avoid taking excess damage from the debuff. Group consisted of two warrior tanks with I think two pieces of frost resist gear each on them, 1 paladin healer, 2 druid healers, 2 shadow priests, one Ret paladin, one balance druid and one elemental shaman. I had a few questions i'm hoping someone might be able to answer. How important is the frost resist gear to have? I don't know anything about how resist gear mitigates damage, so i'm not at all sure what amount of frost resist is ideal to have here without gimping dps to the point where it becomes impossible to down the boss. With the exception of the tanks, I don't think anyone else in the raid had any frost resist gear on so we were taking some decent damage from the aoe and debuff at times.

The real problem we were running into was even with most of the group managing to survive, we weren't even able to get him down past 50% before the enrage timer hit. Just where dps is focused on is clearly an issue here it would seem. The one thing that was going on was every time the aoe freeze happened and the npcs got frozen, all the dps was focused on getting those npcs out of the ice tombs. There was a comment I found on this thread suggesting that just freeing the mage and allowing him to free the others is a better strategy? I'm also wondering if some of it may be fault with the composition of the raid group. It is very ranged heavy, only one melee dps besides the tanks, so would it possibly work better to have a better mix of ranged and melee dps, let the ranged work at freeing the tombed npcs and keep melee on the boss as much as possible? I'm just hoping to find some information that might help my raid group down this boss. I've found these videos and accompanying threads to be immensely helpful when it comes to educating myself on raid encounters so I have an idea of what to expect. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2 Tanks? How does this work? 1 should defnitely go DPS for this fight.

With both 1 ret pala and 2 shadow priests the AOE healing you're getting from Judgement of Light and Vamipic Embrace would probably negate the need for 3 healers. Maybe have 1 priest go DPS too?

Have all your DPS break out the Mage every flash freeze.
Let the mage break out the other NPCs
Have your tank tank the boss near the other NPCS so your DPS can do some AOE to help break out the other NPCs
Have at leat 1 DPS stand in the fire to put the stacking Spellpower debuff on the Boss (stacks to 30 i believe)
Have the rest of your DPS use both the fire, moon beams and crit buff to maximize their DPS.
Ensure everyone keeps moving so as not build up the stacking debuff

Pocket-Gnome
06-29-2009, 01:55 PM
I have frost resistance gear, but dont know if I should actually use it, I lose my defence cap when I equip it, what I want to know is what would be a good mix?... 1 piece and a shaman's frost resist totem, 2? I don't want to give up Defense Rating to the point I get myself, and the raid, into trouble, and, being very new to tanking, I have to admit that I do not know where that line is. Any help would be beneficial. :)

agranyoch
07-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I have frost resistance gear, but dont know if I should actually use it, I lose my defence cap when I equip it, what I want to know is what would be a good mix?... 1 piece and a shaman's frost resist totem, 2? I don't want to give up Defense Rating to the point I get myself, and the raid, into trouble, and, being very new to tanking, I have to admit that I do not know where that line is. Any help would be beneficial. :)
You can always gem the FR pieces for defense. And Cider does mention in the Hodir video that he is using 2 pieces of frost resistance gear. That combined with frost resistance aura/totem from pallies/shamans is more than enough to smoothen the spike damage out.

Redhelm
07-14-2009, 04:32 AM
Proplems with enrage timer is propaply cause people fail to use the npc provided buffs correctly.

If I could ask you to elaborate on this statement. My guild is also having a hard time on hodir for some reason. I run about 8 melee (tanks included) 5-7 healers and 10-12 ranged dps/casters. We are hitting the enrage timer everytime we pull hodir and getting him between 5-10% when we get there. I have divided the casters into group for crit buff usage and toasty fire, I break out mages first and what not I use a single tank in FrResist gear 4 pieces, I get very few if any flash freeze fails. I keep hearing and seeing vids of casters doing 9k+ dps and Im not getting those results so any advice on how to utilize the buffs better or to help my caster dps increase is appreciated.

Mr.Winkle
07-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Firstly how long do you spend getting the mages free after each flash freeze? Correct me if i'm wrong but i think Flash Freeze is on something like a 40-45 sec CD. So to gain real beenfit from any of the NPCs you need to break them out in like 1-2 seconds max.

Secondly the Toasty fire stacks a spellpower buff on Hodir, it stacks to 30 so initally you want to get it on him asap, so that's all the casters using quick spells to stack it. Once it's up then they can break into a normal rotation. Assuming your quick at releasing the mages after each flash freeze you can keep the buff up throughout the fight.

The crit buff just needs to be spread around your DPS who would benefit most from additional crit. Liberally applying it to the mages wouldn't hurt.

Having your tank use FR gear is a major plus, it really smoothes out the frozen blow damage and the healers can work at keeping the raid alive. This in turn allows your DPS to not have to use FR gear.

Destructocon
10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
I was curious for the Hodir fight in Ulduar does the tank still need to be Defense capped at 540? I have 3 peices of the Icebane gear from Blacksmithing I have not socketed it yet I feel even if I do I will not be Defense capped. I was wondering if there anything I should do to hit Defense cap in frost gear or is it not that big of a deal?

1sac
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I like the addons , and i would like to know what is the name of the raidbar addon and the spellbars and buffs?

CatabriOnEarthen
11-20-2009, 10:36 AM
I was curious for the Hodir fight in Ulduar does the tank still need to be Defense capped at 540? I have 3 peices of the Icebane gear from Blacksmithing I have not socketed it yet I feel even if I do I will not be Defense capped. I was wondering if there anything I should do to hit Defense cap in frost gear or is it not that big of a deal?

You only need to be capped if you want to be crit-immune. So, if you like being ripped to shreds, no.

Gem for defense if you need to, ignoring socket bonuses. If it's the belt, add a belt buckle. If you are a JC, use one of your Dragon's eyes in there.

I haven't decided which piece of FR to use yet, as we have 2 pallies, so one of us will have up FR aura, and a shaman, so, totem is there. All of the FR pieces replace a piece that have (for me) a huge chunk of def. What I may do, is grab my Repelling charge, put that on in place of a stam trinket, and put on the belt. Trying to stay def-capped, and still keep up my other stats is an interesting venture in math.