PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Auriaya

Ciderhelm
04-18-2009, 12:34 AM
j21Fa6gpSug

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

The major difference between this movie and the 25-man version is the way the pull is handled. Expect an addendum movie in the near future to cover the 25-man pull.

We have most of the rest of Ulduar in the planning and editing stage at the moment. Currently, our aim is a mix of 10 and 25-man movies and addendums anywhere the 10 and 25 mans differ. We'd like to have a full movie collection of Normal modes by the end of next week. Hard modes should be coming shortly after.

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html
Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html
Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread

Alent
04-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Tease. :p

Ciderhelm
04-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Movie is up!

Squeegiemama
04-18-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm watching!

Kyultu
04-18-2009, 01:01 AM
You mean my guild's method of just running someone out in front as a sacrifice wasn't the right way to pull her?

Lore
04-18-2009, 01:02 AM
You mean my guild's method of just running someone out in front as a sacrifice wasn't the right way to pull her?

Well, it depends entirely on how much you like said sacrifice... :P

Kyultu
04-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Well, it depends entirely on how much you like said sacrifice... :P

I've found that the panthers have an especially developed taste for Boomkins.

Darksend
04-18-2009, 03:06 AM
killing the feral defenders are COMPLETELY a waste of both DPS time and in terms of positioning as the void zone really messes with things.

In both 10 and 25 we just left it up the entire time and healed through whoever it was on. Its damage is so negligible I honestly do not recommend killing it unless you are going for the achievement.

edit: Out of attempts in which the tanks did not die on the pull, both 10 and 25 were 1shots. Actually, i take that back. We wiped on 10 man because we did not know about the void zone ahead of time and it killed 1/2 the raid. Never gave the defender a second look after that.

If using this strat make sure you have your tank focusing it and if it gets below 15ish % from random aoe have everyone stop any AOE and wait for a fear. After the fear call for a switch and have it killed outside the raid. This happened in the 25 but not in the 10. She was dead before it respawned.

mwaf
04-18-2009, 07:37 AM
No HQ version, is that intentional or just youtube functionality to publish the low-res version prior to the HQ being ready?

Edit: apparently just youtube that's slow, HQ is up now.

WarDrum
04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
^It takes them a while to encode a HD version. You cant just beat it into a web player with a baseball bat, it takes time

beardy13
04-18-2009, 09:17 AM
ciderhelm m8 u r an absolute legend what wud i do without u.Keep up the good work wud be lost without ure info

fuddjupp
04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
We just oneshotted her in 10 man. I didn't understand why you should pull her out of line of sight for something, we just tanked her an moved when we had void zones. The Void Zones spawned "everywhere" because that add wasn't tankable at all.

I would recommend one tank for this fight since the adds aren't a big deal. Just burn her down!

ManŖearpig
04-18-2009, 10:59 AM
The stairs don't provide a good way to get out of los of the defender. It pounces right over them.

Hellsown
04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Thought id finally resgister here to give my thanks to the whole community for all the help ive recieved by lurking around, so thank you for making me a better tank.

That being said, id like to throw in a few things I thought might be useful here.

When we pulled her, we had our hunter MD everything to me and the MT taunt the boss to her when she got in range.
The problem we had with this was that i was on the opposite side of the stairs(out of LoS) as whoever is tanking in this vid, while our MT was where your tank was. For some reason, one add would hug the wall to get to me, but the other would be all the way on the opposite side of the stairs and pounce as soon as it saw me. I wanted to throw that in there for anyone who was thinking about doin it that way.

Pounce honestly didnt hit for that hard by itself, only about 5k or so, but right after he pounces, he melee swings for 11K or so.

Another thing i noticed in your video was that the add that comes up after you kill both of the initial adds didnt move much at all. Was that because you were all grouped up, or were you actually able to get aggro on him. I did everything i could to get and hold aggro, but he just would NOT stay on me.

We did finally get her down, but i agree that the pull is by far the hardest part of that fight.

Tsanity
04-18-2009, 12:33 PM
So the song is called, Lips of the Sun, how come I cannot find it on the Neo sounds website?

Titangrip
04-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Hi, my guild just downed her last night on 10man.

We found that DPSing the Feral Defender was really a waste of time, so we got our OT to just tank it a wee bit behind the raid. It did die twice due to all the AoE nonsense like WW/Divine Storm.

We just eventually burned her down. Cool fight!

Is it possible to just offtank the Feral Defender in the 25man version?

Fayre
04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
We killed her on 10 man tonight too. Tried just offtanking the Defender, which was tricky as he flies around a bit. One thing our raid healers said was that after it died and respawned the first time (due to random AoE) the damage it did was significantly reduced.

Mindy
04-18-2009, 07:13 PM
The defender seems mainly just annoyance to slightly deal pushback to all your casters :P

One thing I did notice is that you did not separate the two cats she patrols with on the pull. I thought they have some buff that increases their damage if they are closer than 20 yards together. When my guild did this boss, I MTed and initially took one cat, while the OT took another cat about 25-30 yards away and DPS burnt that one down first.

Proximity
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Registered just today to offer up some advice for this fight.

While the ledge in front of that section is short and doesn't always break line of sight with the Defender, if you look on the back wall just underneath the Shattered Ledge teleporter there is a much taller wall that can be used for the same purpose. This wall breaks LoS consistently, and doesn't rely on any stairs for it either.

As long as the raid is careful not to cancel any heals by moving around it, I think this wall a likely a better bet.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7158/auriayaledgeu.jpg

Lyco
04-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Why so weird..

We just stood in the path where she's going to walk ( as 1 big group )
When she's close enough we have the hunter Multishot MD, while the OT AOE taunts ( warrior ), just to be safe.

He then shieldwalls + Gets a CD from a healer. This way we form 1 big AOE puddle of insane dmg ( we had 2 DK's )

A bit over the top? yes, but works perfectly.

Panyk
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Just killed her in 10 man, and tried the strategy in the video, until we realized you don't need to kill the defender at all. It seems to be an achievement if you do, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be a need.

Also, we got Crazy Cat Lady because the original adds respawned mid fight and just started patroling where they used to.

Utsusemi
04-20-2009, 03:08 AM
One thing I recommend is to make sure if you do it the video way is too make sure your DK or whatever is ready for 40k+ damage instantly so pop your IBF and have hots on etc or he will die very fast. We also ignored the cat just taunted it now and then and AOE'ed to keep it on the tanks , Easiest boss in Ulduar we have faced so far.

Trilynne
04-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Great vid as always (I have a soft-spot for Lore's, being a pally tank myself ;) ), but it seems that the 10man version has changed since the hotfix. We tried her last night, and it seem the two adds that she initially has with her are also resurrecting in the middle of the fight. This caused us to wipe pretty much instantly because we weren't expecting it, and a fear had just occurred, so people were spread out... pounce+swipefest and a quick death for just about anyone in the raid who wasn't wearing plate; their ressurection occured at the same time the Feral Defender spawned as well, so it was even worse with 3 cats flying around. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced this? If this was part of the hotfix and intentional to make her harder, well, they succeeded. Unfortunately it was close to when we stop raiding and we had to call it after only 2 attempts. Help us, Tankspot! :P My initial thoughts are that we'll have to just keep LoSing every single big cat add's body, because if those initial adds also keep respawning, that's a lot of potential for death if people twitch just far enough away from them that they're able to pounce. x.o This fight is going to get much more complicated if this isn't just a freak bug for our group.

ETA: This is apparently a bug, thank God! Hopefully we'll be able to get her down just fine next week! ^^

Sproutster
04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
We had this bug on the weekend when we tried to kill her. After 4 or 5 wipes we got annoyed and took her into the room on the left. The respawned pat did not get pulled in there. Once we had her in there we one shot it.

Edit: we even got the crazy cat lady achievement as the adds had respawned while we fought her in the other room.

Ray
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
Does anyone have any tips/strats for dealing with the pull on 25 man?? A video addenum would be great or just how you would relate it to the 10 man pull. We tried the DnD pull with everyone behind the LOS point, but I got owned hard, and then the rest of the tanks. We then seperated the tanks, but the tank that was in LOS to taunt would get WTFpwned. We got to the point where I (the in sight tank) would just get roflstomped and then the other add tank would get 3 of them, we actually had some success with this, IE got the adds down and focusing on the boss.

Also, ive read that you can just ignore the feral defender as long as your grouped well and just heal through the damage. Thoughts? cuz that would really simplify it.

Lore
04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
We use the D&D pull in 25-man as well, with a couple extra tricks that weren't mentioned in the video:

#1: There's a red dot on the floor right up against the wall near the corner; it's a pretty good indicator of where everyone should stand
#2: We usually run with two rogues, we have them use Tricks of the Trade to force the 2nd and 4th panther in our kill order onto our second Panther tank quickly (so the DK doesn't get wrecked before our Warrior can pick his up)
#3: All three tanks use Shield Wall or equivalent off the pull. We bloodlust and pop DPS cooldowns and aim for killing the first two panthers before shield walls wear off. At that point the panther damage is about half of what it is at the pull so it's much more manageable, plus there's only one panther on each tank.

Titangrip
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
How about handling the Feral Defender?

Inaara
04-22-2009, 09:20 AM
How about handling the Feral Defender?

The Feral Defenders damage is negligible and can easily be healed through. Because of AoE damage he should die once and only once before you kill Auriaya. If you're lucky, like we were last night, the defender may even die outside of the group. If he does you do not have to reposition the raid at all.

Titangrip
04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
The Feral Defenders damage is negligible and can easily be healed through. Because of AoE damage he should die once and only once before you kill Auriaya. If you're lucky, like we were last night, the defender may even die outside of the group. If he does you do not have to reposition the raid at all.

:(

My healers suck then.

He's dying pretty fast TBH, at 75% and he's dead already.

So basically if it dies outside the raid I don't have to reposition her?

And is she bugged? She seems to keep on moving ALOT even though I'm not moving. It's annoying as hell.

Lore
04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Honestly the bigger thing about the feral defender is just that he interrupts casts, which can be rough on the healers. We usually kill him twice and then ignore him the third time, by that time the DPS will kill Auriaya before he dies anyway.

Gertiploiss
04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
One of our better guilds on our server used Hunter Snake Traps to eat up the pounces for the pull. Huh.

Kyultu
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
For the 25 man pull, we used the same strategy as Lore outlined for 10 man, but taunted/MDed 2 of the panthers to different tanks and dragged them away from the group ASAP. This cut down on damage significantly. Not allowing the panthers to use pounce at any point is the key.

And is she bugged? She seems to keep on moving ALOT even though I'm not moving. It's annoying as hell.

Not really bugged, but this is obnoxious for sure. I found that she tends to dance more during the panthers swarms, not sure why (possibly adjusting position relative to other mobs, similiar to how you will have large groups of mobs spread out in a semi-circle around you when tanking 20+ of them). I made it a point to give my raid a heads up when she started fidgeting so we didn't mess up on Sonic Screech.

Lore
04-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Dragging them away from the group is unnecessary and potentially bad. There's a minimum range on their pounce and they don't really do anything to anyone that hasn't pulled aggro

Kyultu
04-22-2009, 11:57 AM
I've only ever seen them pounce their primary aggro target, and with DPS focused on the panthers initially in melee range threat/range should not be an issue. I see no concern with repositioning the panthers, especially compared to the benefit of reducing tank damage by almost half (comparable to a shield wall). If I however have a misunderstanding of the mechanic I would be glad to be corrected. One thing I will admit is that we used 4 tanks for that pull which made separating them very simple and may be the discrepancy between our strategies.

Titangrip
04-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I think I just have a DPS/Healer issue.

Is it wise to bring 4 tanks, 8 healers and 13 DPSers?

Skyborn
04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
As long as the raid is careful not to cancel any heals by moving around it, I think this wall a likely a better bet.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7158/auriayaledgeu.jpg

We tried this last night, among several other positions and it didn't work. He pounced right over the top of the little wall, when every raid member was completely out of LOS (supposedly). I can't, for the life of me, figure out a good place to drop the kitties that doesn't result in the defenders rezzing and instantly pouncing someone. The damage they do is negligable so it's not really an issue but... kind of a pain for casters when they get pounced, interrupted, and locked out of their spell school.

Last night we had about 10 or so attempts on her before getting her down. Initially we had problems with healers getting aggro on the pull and getting pounced through the vase statue thing you guys hid behind in the video, but once we got that sorted we tried to burn her down w/o killing the defender. The defender was fine when we were all stacked but inevitably during the fear we would all get spread out (and the tremor totem nerf to 5 second pulses really makes it inconsistent to the point of being useless) and then the cat would go pounce happy.

After 8 unsuccessful attempts w/ keeping the defender alive the whole time we swapped to killing them every time they were up and we killed her after 2 tries.

It's not documented anywhere but even though we have less total time DPSing Auriaya when you're spending time killing defenders she seemed to be dying quicker when we killed the defenders and swapped back to her. Is there a mechanic that explains this or was it simply our caster heavy group was getting interrupted less?

For all the warrior tanks out there: Berserker Rage is usable in any stance and has a short enough cooldown that it'll be available for every fear. PVP trinkets are also not a terrible idea for classes w/o fear breaks. Most people may already know this, but I think it's something that can be overlooked. Anyway, breaking fear right away to interrupt her Sentinel Blast and get her positioned/facing the majority of the raid in time for the Sonic Screech really helps.

Kojiyama
04-23-2009, 08:16 AM
I would generally use a Warrior tank for her for that reason. We were using a DK for some time (and killed her last week that way easily enough), then I swapped to tanking the boss and it made it much, much simpler by the sheer fact that the boss would not move during fear at all.

We had issues leaving the Defender alive with the occassional insta-gib on a clothie from a pounce after fear so we just kill them. A bit slower of a kill, but more controlled. We use a Death Knight to grip the Defender out of the raid right before it dies and rarely had to move due to the void zones being some distance away. (Think one got popped on the group once.)

Ray
04-23-2009, 08:58 AM
This fight gave us a pain for about an hour or so. We went with the initial strat of ignoring the defender and burning the boss. well, the healers complained a little so we decided to kill it 3 times. Well, this just resulted in crappier attempts. Either people would not move out in time of the voidzone, or move to early and get pounced. We had trouble timing the kill with fears. We had trouble getting everyone back to the front of the boss. It was just a total mess.

I said screw this, were going back to the ignore strat. First try dead. Really, its just on your healers to deal with the damage of the defender and your AoE to clear the adds quickly (as if they are not dealt with can wipe you due to putting healers behind). We did end up killing the defender once, which was fine as we knew it was coming with plenty of time to move.

For the pull, really, just follow the video, although we use the wall to the left of the path (by the stairs) as our LOS point. Everyone stacks on the tanks, GS up on the DK pulling. We initially would burn hero to kill the adds before tank CDs were down, but we found we didnt need too. So we switched the hero for the boss. This helped burn her faster and less defender deaths.

Raid Comp:

4 Tanks: (War MT boss)
7 Healers:
14 DPS

Shox
04-24-2009, 05:24 AM
Our 10 man team saw this fight for the first time, and thanks to this thread was able to get her down on the 8th attempt. Here are some things we learned:

1. It seems nearly impossible to hold aggro on the feral defender. As a Paladin OT myself, several times I had a clean Hand of Reckoning and Avenger's Shield go off before the DPS started in on it (Coordinated through vent) and still it bounced around the raid ignoring me. With this in mind, we simply healed through its pounces and burned it down without too much concern about tanking it away from the boss.
2. Since the feral defender breaks aggro so easily, there wasn't much benefit in trying to play the LOS game. We gave it several tries with the point of the platform as seen in this video as well as the stairs. At the end of the day, if the cat didn't pounce immediately it simply walked until it was in LOS and then pounced into the group. As I stated above, it seems impossible to hold its attention and thus we just burned it down.
3. Since we weren't doing the LOS game on our last 2 attempts, we simply moved the boss to a spot which we felt would be a safe distance away from the black circles on the ground in case of being feared away.

Other than that, it's a pretty simple encounter but a fun one nonetheless.

Raid Comp:

Tanks
MT: DK
OT: Paladin

Healers
Priest
Shaman (2)

DPS
Hunter
Warrior
DK
Shadow Priest
Enh Shaman

Shox
04-24-2009, 05:27 AM
We also gave one attempt to not burning down the defender and having the OT hold it... but could not keep its attention. I'm not convinced this is even possible.

bludwork
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM
I noticed one thing lacking in these boss strats is the group makeup or class specific details. It's always nice to learn that the hard way but it's maybe something tankspot could look into providing?

squats
04-25-2009, 01:05 PM
I noticed one thing lacking in these boss strats is the group makeup or class specific details. It's always nice to learn that the hard way but it's maybe something tankspot could look into providing?

group makeup will varry depending on the guild. class stacking has become less important in WOTLK then what it was in BC.

these vidio's touch on class spicific details if they are vital to the encounter. oftend they are not because of blizzards new "bring the raider, not the class" stand on bosses. no boss should need a spicific class to down them. though this isnt always the case, any boss that NEEDS any particular class (council?) is and should be skipable.

TheLegend
04-26-2009, 10:50 AM
The Defender isn't tankable but it is Tauntable. My 10 man has 2 Warrior tanks so, I as the OT, vigilance the MT and spam taunt so the Defender is on me most of the time. I haven't tried Mocking Blow yet but I imagine that it would work as well.

Trademere
04-26-2009, 10:03 PM
My guild was making attempts on her last night, and we watched the video but nothing was mentioned on an interrupt/silence effect that was going onto our healers and casters

After speaking to one of our DPS he stated that the interrupt effect was similiar to the Ignis fight on the Flame Jets. Can anyone help verify this?

I watched and listened to this video a few times and Lore never mentioned anything about this type of effect. Any help on how to avoid or prevent this from happening will be of immense help.

Scyklin
04-27-2009, 07:31 AM
My guild did this fight on ten man last week. Thanks to this video she was a easy 2 shot. We are going in on 25 man to try her and I was wondering if anyone noticed anything different with her or is it just her extra adds at the start?

Squashed
04-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Scyklin - be prepared. My guild 10man 1 shot Auriaya first pull, ever. Our 25 man group wiped for 2+ hours over 2 nights. The pull is exponentially different because of the additional 100% damage bonus panthers can receive due to a 4 stack of the buff, not to mention the 2 additional panthers for pounces etc. I was taking 20k DoT ticks fighting them.

Our tactic for 25man was to brute force down 4 panthers with me tanking them all with CD's / Guardian Spirits blown, worked but was ugly.

viper57728
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Hey, second post here for another way to look at this fight. Again I'd just like to say the videos and commentary from the tankspot team is fantastic, I just wanted to try and provide another means to look at the position for fights that depend on the raid being in the right spot. This is just something I put together for my own guild to look at, and thought I should share it with you all since you've all helped me lead a great deal. Again, if this is in the wrong spot / against the rules, please let me know and feel free to delete it or move it. Other than that, please feel free to post this on your guild's website to help explain positioning for this fight.

Should also note, this is not a complete strat by any means. This is simply the key portions that I wanted to get across to my guildmates about positioning and some key moves the boss does. This diagram should go hand in hand with the tank spot video. Oh and this is for 10-man only. I have not had the chance to experience the 25-man version of this, so please do not hold me responsible if this blows up in your face when you try this in 25-man.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/Viper57728/Ulduar%20Raid%20strat/Auri-1.jpg

Thanks,

Sinmore.

juny234
04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
I was waching this and was thinkin. what about preist fear ward. I don't know if it works but it mite help.:)

Kyultu
04-28-2009, 03:35 PM
Fear Ward works great, but I suggest the priest cast it on themselves and cast Mass Dispel as the fear lands. Timing it correctly can get 11 people out of the fear instead of just 1.

Horyclone
04-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey guys,

So my guild spent about an hour or two wiping on Auriaya the other night. Contrary to what this comments on here are leading to me believe is the more difficult part of the encounter, we weren't having problems with the pull on 25 man after the first attempt.

Our biggest problem seemed to be the feral defender killing people, primarily during fears. Aside from that we had issues keeping the feral defender outside of the group for more than a second to kill it, even with myself and the other OT taunting it as well as a DK chaining it. It seems like once it starts pouncing even if its killed outside the group it has a chance to spawn the void zone in the group.

I'm not sure if this has been clarified, but the defender has no aggro table, its a miracle to keep it on either myself or the other tank for more than a couple seconds.

Cowberty
04-29-2009, 01:32 PM
I was wondering if the sentries were able to continue to pounce after the initial pull. My main concern is that they will pounce around when the second tank trys to take 2 of them 10 yards away of the others to remove their buff.

Boondockst
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey guys,

So my guild spent about an hour or two wiping on Auriaya the other night. Contrary to what this comments on here are leading to me believe is the more difficult part of the encounter, we weren't having problems with the pull on 25 man after the first attempt.

Our biggest problem seemed to be the feral defender killing people, primarily during fears. Aside from that we had issues keeping the feral defender outside of the group for more than a second to kill it, even with myself and the other OT taunting it as well as a DK chaining it. It seems like once it starts pouncing even if its killed outside the group it has a chance to spawn the void zone in the group.

I'm not sure if this has been clarified, but the defender has no aggro table, its a miracle to keep it on either myself or the other tank for more than a couple seconds.

This is my guild's issue as well. We can break the fears easy, rarely die to the swarming adds or the aoe cone she does, but 90% of deaths are from that defender.

Is it possible for a pally (I suggest pally only b/c of high armor) and a tank to drag it off away from the raid, as in on the other side of the platform, to prevent him from going ADD on the entire raid and maybe just bounce back and forth between the healer and tank? I'm thinking a warrior spamming taunt as he pulls it over to the designated area, b/c I'm assuming the pounce has a max range, and once the max range has been attained, then the cat has only the warrior and the healer to bounce around on.
Just a thought, I'm going to try it later this week.

ttocs
04-29-2009, 05:20 PM
It's difficult to do, but you can death grip the defender out of the group just as it dies.

If it's already doing it's chain-leap, you probably won't do anything to move the void zone. The timing also has to be just right so you pull it, it lands, and it dies.

It's not consistent enough to rely on it, but it's a nice convenience if the whole raid doesn't have to move.

Vixelah
05-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Several strategies have worked for us in ten man. This was the easiest way for our twenty five man raid.

The raid stacks around the corner closest to her next patrol stop. Our priests have an assigned fear ward rotation on our MT. We found that even with tremor totems we still had times when it would not pulse when we wanted to and the raid would take a sentinel blast.

Initial Pull: Our DK MT drops D&D and LoS the pull stacking on the raid. After the initial adds our OT's just spam taunts on the feral defender trying to make sure it does NOT die, in order to maximize dps and minimize repositioning.

The raid ignores interrupting the sentinel blast and killing the feral defender. Focusing on boss entirely allowing for a quick dps burn. Our MT focuses on interrupting Sentinel blast.

Grats on EZ mode.

Damonvile
05-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Is it possible for a pally (I suggest pally only b/c of high armor) and a tank to drag it off away from the raid, as in on the other side of the platform, to prevent him from going ADD on the entire raid and maybe just bounce back and forth between the healer and tank? I'm thinking a warrior spamming taunt as he pulls it over to the designated area, b/c I'm assuming the pounce has a max range, and once the max range has been attained, then the cat has only the warrior and the healer to bounce around on.
Just a thought, I'm going to try it later this week.

We tried this with a pali and 2 healers and couldn't get it to work. As soon as someone got feared the defender lept through the wall at them and then back into the raid.

What we ended up doing was have one of our off tanks move back from the raid when it was down to about 15%. When it hit about 3% he'd taunt then stun it when some of the dps killed it. We just stacked all the pools in one spot and burned her down fast.

klenta
05-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Our group tried a slightly different method for the pull, necessitated by the fact that our DK couldn't come that night.

We have a warrior and a druid for our tanks. We have a hunter drop the snake trap where the D&D was dropped in the video. Everyone including the tanks hid out of LOS at the top of the steps. Once we got the enter combat message, our hunter FD which meant no one had aggro. (Don't FD before the pull. It despawns her.)

Once the cats stopped having fun with the snakes and came up, I blew Survival Instincts and Barkskin. Then I aoe taunted and immediately started swiping. That is why I didn't use Frenzied Regeneration since it blows through all of my rage. We also told all the dps to not do anything until I built a solid lead on the cats. We all stayed clumped up and seemed to have no pounces with her sentries.

:D And thus, our first downing of Auriaya.

Morningsong
05-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Not sure whether other movies posted here is appreciated, but I hope it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxrz-IV9-yY

Here's a little explanation that goes with it:
This is a complete movie on Shadow Storm's first Auriaya (25) kill. As such, it still has a few hiccups, but all in all, a pretty smooth kill.
It was shot from a bear's OT view (mine that is). Since the movie has only music and no voice-over, I'll explain some general things now.
One of the major things we have done differently than I have seen most suggested is that we use 2 OT's on the other side of the raid, also out of LoS, to taunt 2 of the Sentries straight at the pull, to minimize damage done to tanks, and to make sure the raid is out of the Sentry's pounce range. Of course, this has the added danger that one or both OT's will get pounced by 1 or more cats. This in fact happened to me, with all 4, so healers will have to be extremely fast and focused (which they were, kudos to them) to keep the tanks alive through the initial pounce(s).

Anyways, we used a warlock's imp as the sacrificial pulling tool to initiate the encounter. After that, we focused dps on one at a time, and then had OT's (including me) start focusing on the Feral Defender. At about 50%, we had both OT's move out of the raid and try to taunt / leap-pounce thing (for lack of remembering the actual ability) the defender out of the raid. Then, at around 10%, we spammed (or at least I did) a stun, to make sure it stayed there, so range could kill it off.
We continued this process 3 times, stacking the Feral's void zones on top of each other and healing through any raid damage done by being feared into the zones. After the third kill, we switched positions (without using LoS, and just healing through the rebirth pounce), since with 3 void zones stacked on each other, they were becoming very deadly.
Some AoE damage killed the defender a 4th time, with one of our OT's trying the same trick again, and with a stroke of luck, having the defender die right on top of him in the middle of a leaping frenzy. I died a bit prior to that due to a mistaunt, which was next to my Mangle, an issue I corrected straight away.

Anyways, I hope this is appreciated and I also hope it's valuable for both Tankspot and other people trying alternative ways of killing her.

Best regards, Morningsong.

P.S. sorry for the shoddy camera work at times, but I think you'll forgive me for things being a bit hectic at times *grin*

Balutix
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
what we do is.. im tanking(protwar) the boss. have our dk put down d&d and have a priest put divine guardian on him when they are almost there.. we completely ignore the feral defender untill it has about 30k hp left.. then our DK deathgrips it away. have a paladin stun it and all dps nuke it down in seconds.. leaving the voidzone quite some distance from the boss. im never feared cause of zerkerrage and fear wards and can interup everytime.. usaly the feral defender dies once and then she bites the dust

Morningsong
05-14-2009, 05:24 AM
Yes, that is something to be considered, except that there are times when the defender is immune to taunt, and therefore also deathgrip.

Mookey
05-15-2009, 06:19 AM
We use 2 rogues going to Freya's Conservatory and waiting Auriaya to pass
1) They follow and when they pass 2 guards next to mimiron's zone, they distract right 2 sentries, 2nd rogue use his distract @ arround 7 sec duration of first one

2) By that time on footsteps of stairs in last zone (where her patrol ends) our shaman have planted totem but he is standing far away from us all out of LOS. If rogue's distract is resisted shaman just pull his totem away (this is problem with DND/Consecration/hunter trap - you cannot pull it off)

3) 2 sentries and Auriaya comming, I tank 1st sentry while hunter MD boss to me. Feral defender tank is taunting 2nd sentry.

4) 3rd tank and feral druid in bear form are going out and picking incoming 2 (previously distracted) sentries, they bring those 2 into aoe zone (we don't care much about buffs they get, since nerf we are not splitting them anymore, just burn all CDs early on, no need for them later anyway)

5) By the time first 2 sentries are down I taunt 1 sentry off feral druid so he can dps and we just continue... no big deal with defender... we just let him die from aoe inside group from killing swarm. When he is about to die we all move slowly so that void zone dont mess us up.

6) warrior tanking defender is great for breaking fear and stunning defender also

Medlimar
05-19-2009, 06:24 AM
So this past weekend my guild finally downed her. We had a Tankadin as MT and my DK (frost spec) OT. I dropped DnD just like I had seen done in 25man and of course we los the cats. We had tanks grab aggro and all melee/caster dps waited 5 secs just like patchwerk. We didn't split the cats up. Healers were pro so we burned down the cats. The MT died couple seconds after the guardian died the first time. We moved away from the void zone. There is isn't a reason to really los the guardian cause he still pounces as of this past weekend no matter where u position ur raid los or not. As I was tanking boss, soon as I seen the guardian pop up, I would taunt/death grip to get his attention and beat on him, pestilence to keep aggro on boss, HB, BB and burn him. Since I was targeting the defender (target of target) if he wasn't hitting me it was easy to grab his attention. After he died the 3rd time, boss wasn't almost dead to aoe dmg. So if your MT dies and the OT is tanking everything I would recommend the OT (when the guardian is up) focus on it only and use aoe dmg to keep aggro on boss. This imo saved my raid from dying from him. For the little adds that do spawn ensure u have an aoe attack of some sort ready. For dk's DnD, BB is sufficient. For frost dk's ensure HB is ready and if KM is up little adds die very quickly.

Source: bludwork

Our group consisted of:
Tankadin- MT
Frost dk (me)- OT
Blood dk
Blood dk
Arcane mage
Holy pali
Resto druid
Holy priest
Balance druid
Fury Warrior

Noep
05-20-2009, 05:53 AM
Did this fight without seeing this video, did it almost the same.

Only difference was we used a hunterís trap to pull and a death and decay on the stairs to make sure the dk didnít get pounced as we didnít know the range.
we also didnít worry about line of sighting any defenders we killed as the pounce wasnít a worry with 3 healers.

Good luck people

Missnowflake
05-27-2009, 07:58 AM
I agree... and Lore as well ;)

Lucetia
05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Again, might feel stupid on this, but I could be missing something. We have the pull down and killing the two sentries. We have dps switch to her and then the defender spawns. This is where issues start to occur. The defender will bounce around to different people. I continually toss out taunts as they are off cooldown and I try to stun her with Hammer as the fear goes off. I believe one of the issues is that range refuse to stack up so the defender is bouncing around all over the area out of melee range.

After we kill one we'll sometimes have the issue of someone getting stunned and the void hole on top of them, which causes issues. Like I said the thing that causes the most issues are the feral defender / people not wanting to stack up. We downed her last week, but got to her this week and had issues all over again.

Sahanya
06-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Hello!

First let me say how much I enjoy the Tankspot-Videos. They are a huge help, when we run out of ideas. ;)

We finally made it do Auriaya in the 25-man-version yesterday. It took as a while to figure out Kologarn :(

We had no problems with her in the 10-man-version, when we killed her weeks ago, and we found her to be pretty much a free-loot there, wondering why everyone would think she was so difficult. In the 10-man-version we make a very simple pull without tricks or tactics, take the two panthers and simply AOE them down.

We tried that in the 25-man-version yesterday and found the pull just as easy (and let me say, we are not really that good :) ). To avoid too much damage, we used a tank per cat and our MT obviously was on Auriaya. We were standing in a group in front of her, and we had an anti-fear-totem out (that's how we do it in the 10-man-version), but before we had all cats down, she feared us, we ran around, but not too long and afterwards, without knowing what happend, half of the Raid was dead.

We are not sure about what has killed us off, and we tried several times with the same result. What is it that she casts right after the fear and that makes so much damage on the raid?

Any kind of help is appreciated,
hugs and kisses,
Sahanya

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm German.

agranyoch
06-02-2009, 03:20 AM
Hello!
We are not sure about what has killed us off, and we tried several times with the same result. What is it that she casts right after the fear and that makes so much damage on the raid?
I think you are having problems with Sentinel Blast... from WoWWiki:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/thumb/c/ce/Spell_Shadow_FocusedPower.png/32px-Spell_Shadow_FocusedPower.png (http://www.wowwiki.com/File:Spell_Shadow_FocusedPower.png) Sentinel Blast (http://ptr.wowhead.com/?spell=64679) - Inflicts 5500 Shadow damage and increases Shadow damage taken by 100% for 5 seconds. Stacks 5 times. It is interruptable. The ability has a pre-cast time in which Auriaya "sets up", and then a channeled portion in which the raid starts taking stacking damage. This cast seems to always follow the fear, so one player must have a fear break and an interrupt prepped and ready to go or this ability will wipe the raid. Ideal would probably be warrior to zerker rage and interrupt...

DrussUK
06-02-2009, 05:53 AM
My guild just got to Auriaya recently and we had a few attempts but ran out of time. Good to have now read about it..........just one thing I noticed as a rogue though - well two:

(1) rogues can interrupt sentinel blast but cannot interrupt terrifying screech. Be careful not to try kick the screech so as to be on kick CD for sentinel blast.
(2) the defenders are stunlockable. I'm not sure what other CC they are susceptible to but I have definitely locked one down for 10 seconds with a vanish>CS>KS chain when I noticed it was pouncing all over and owning our healers. If susceptible to stuns maybe they are susceptible to sheep/cyclone/fear? If so fearing them off (out of AoE range) and sheeping away from raid could be a bit of a winner > when they pounch back in pally/rogue stun them and fear off into more sheepage. Can anyone confirm whether these additional CCs work?

I suppose another method of dealing with defenders might be to just unleash a ret pally on them - i swear ive met ret pallies that could drop God in one HoJ :P

She is going down this week for sure........

Brucimus
06-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Ideal would probably be warrior to zerker rage and interrupt...

Yep. I just watch the timer on DBM...pop zerker rage a few seconds before the screech cooldown. Pummel and resume my rotation

Sahanya
06-02-2009, 06:56 AM
Thank you guys for your quick help. We'll give her another go today, and I think I now understand what went wrong, so we'll be able to get her down today. Then we can see what Hodir will do to us ;)

Oilcan
06-05-2009, 09:29 PM
2) By that time on footsteps of stairs in last zone (where her patrol ends) our shaman have planted totem but he is standing far away from us all out of LOS. If rogue's distract is resisted shaman just pull his totem away (this is problem with DND/Consecration/hunter trap - you cannot pull it off)

If the trap is timed so that the cd is off before they approach it, laying another trap where the hunter/raid is will despawn the first one.

DrussUK
06-08-2009, 06:19 AM
Got her down this week no real worries at all just by focusing the DPS on her and ignoring and healing through the defender..........but..........as a rogue i'm perplexed because every single time she uses an interruptable ability she also seems to fear >>> I spent my time running in the knowledge that I could be interrupting her next ability with kick. So - interrupts seemed kinda useless.

Went on to Freya and just started moving through that area - REALLY stoked to see an element of CC is not required on the packs in there (sheep/banish/sleep FTW). Old skool.

Sark
06-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Got her down this week no real worries at all just by focusing the DPS on her and ignoring and healing through the defender..........but..........as a rogue i'm perplexed because every single time she uses an interruptable ability she also seems to fear >>> I spent my time running in the knowledge that I could be interrupting her next ability with kick. So - interrupts seemed kinda useless.

Its a dev concession to try to keep warriors from being useless :D

Rahki
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
As a shaman i came with the idea to pull her with a totem (like Earth Elemental) Eventually this was not needed because we downed her the 1st try of the evening (thank you tankspot :D)
Does anny one know if this is a good idea? And if the shaman gets agro after his elemental dies?

And i saw that a lot of discussions are going on weather you should not kill the adds, we ignored the add completely and it just died because of aoe and retri aura. We decided to stay on the same spot, when the add came tank had instant agro. Fight went smooth as butter.

Muffin Man
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Just put a sentry totem instead. That will 'body' pull Auriaya and cats with the upshot that they'll have 0 threat on them making it incredibly easy for tanks to pick them up when they come running around the corner towards your group.

We've done totem pulls when we lacks DK's or Hunters. It works pretty well.

The Sentry add wipes aggro every few seconds so there's no point trying to tank it, as an OT I just do my best to keep it stunned. If it's doing too much damage then you should kill it since it gets weaker after it rezes.

Fayre
06-11-2009, 04:35 AM
We also use a totem pull most weeks - the shaman just has to be careful that he doesnt outrange his totem before the pull.

Superspy23
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
In the absence of any of the pull options mentioned here we instead had our warrior tank pull with heroic throw while shield wall was up to mitigate the damage. Our pally tank then did his AOE taunt from the other side of the stairs and our warrior MT taunted the boss back immediately. We probably died 4 times before we figured this option out and managed a 2 shot after that.

robbon
07-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Everyone here is talking about the initial pull. And rightly so..its a pain..

But we have now managed to find a solution that works for us and we can move in to the actual fight with either 100% or at least 99% of the raid still standing.

However the fight is still manic, uncontrolled and a real mess on 25 man version.

As we tend to have 6-7 melee as well as 7-8 ranged..we are having some issues with her movement and raid positioning.

All the melee dps is trying to run behind her whilst we are trying to keep the ranged stacked in the front. The defenders jump all over the place and one shot our clothies..whilst the melee are constantly trying to get behind her.

Do people just ignore the parry haste and nuke her melee dps from the front ? and power heal the tank ? or do u move your melee behind her also ?

A tactic for dps-ing position on 25 man would be useful.

We tend to kill 3 defenders then leave them be and nuke her ..but the amount she moves around makes life for our melee dps and trying to stay stacked a nightmare.

We know the sonic screech interrupts are required but for

zelikofcc
07-06-2009, 03:08 PM
as a pally tank i found the best way to pull her and her starting adds is for me to leave a concecrate on the circle were she pats to on either side of the platform. then right before she hits in i stand at top of stairs and pop a divine protection. the adds did like 2 k on normal and a lil more on heroic but it was nothing the healers couldnt handle. no one died and the fight was cake. just had to pop a 2 min cooldown to get the fight started and it was a really quick fight

L3gacy
07-27-2009, 11:33 PM
where is the video on the pull it's self?

Tempestas
07-27-2009, 11:53 PM
where is the video on the pull it's self?

At the bottom of the stairs where you go down from Kologarn's area.

L3gacy
07-28-2009, 12:15 AM
At the bottom of the stairs where you go down from Kologarn's area.

lol not what I was talking about. In the video it talks about going into detail about the pull but I don't see it

Bihn
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
As we tend to have 6-7 melee as well as 7-8 ranged..we are having some issues with her movement and raid positioning.

All the melee dps is trying to run behind her whilst we are trying to keep the ranged stacked in the front. The defenders jump all over the place and one shot our clothies..whilst the melee are constantly trying to get behind her.

Do people just ignore the parry haste and nuke her melee dps from the front ? and power heal the tank ? or do u move your melee behind her also ?

A tactic for dps-ing position on 25 man would be useful.

What we've done since the beginning of Ulduar: Everyone stacks up in front of her on a marked player and that's that. Everyone in our guild realizes t's not a fight where you get to show your HOTMAXDPS. Furthermore, we ignore the defender. If everyone is stacked up, he can't be pouncing, and the melee damage he does is marginal. After about 3 or 4 waves of the smaller adds he'll probably be about dead from incidental AoE damage. At this point, we wait for a screech or a fear from Auriaya, then nuke the Defender and shift our positioning.

It's really important to stress to raiders that this fight is made considerably easier if everyone is stacked up. If you have players doing anything that is causing the defender to rush/pounce, they are being selfish. That's a lot of avoidable damage that they are taking just so they can do something they are comfortable with.

Lornehil
07-29-2009, 02:15 AM
On the note of the post above me, how many guilds force their hunters into melee range on this fight? I know from talking to other hunters I know that not all do and simply heal through the damage. IN my guild however there is still some problems concerning the silence and cast lockouts that come with the pounce and dashes the defender does and those are what they are worried about, meaning I have to stick in melee and hit the crazy cat lady with a big stick and make sure to volley down the swarm adds.

My raid happens to be lucky for this fight in that I am normally the only hunter in the group, so this does not affect the raid dps too much (though I am usually in the top 5 even in these movement heavy ulduar fights). But I could see this being and issue in a raid that had something more like 3 to 4 hunters normally, all of whom did better than average damage normally.

With blizzard flat out stating that they don't think it would be 'right' to get rid of the hunter minimum range and the fact that they seem to not really take it into account when they design things like this or bosses with hit boxes the size of mansions does that mean that it's just sort of a 'oh well, too bad, deal with it' for this fight in concerns to hunters?

I mean, there are a lot of fights were I know I will not be doing my max damage in udluar but in this fight it looks like I'm still in a smattering of 10/25 naxx gear if you look at the charts. I know to do my part and stick in close and let the other dps do the main job of killing the boss in this fight but I feel like such a dead weight.

Maktzr
08-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Movie is up!

On this movie:YouTube - TankSpot's Guide to Auriaya. What for addon are u using there u got attacks/chat/omen and recount?
:)

Thanks for tankspot.;)

Maktzr

Noep
08-24-2009, 09:34 AM
They have a UI section with there addons etc theres a link on the first post i think.

heres the link if u cant find it.

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html