PDA

View Full Version : Ulduar Kologarn

Ciderhelm
04-16-2009, 03:26 AM
PSkUlEvZdww

AteZEhDzuj0

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/images/snowfall/donorbanner.jpg (http://www.tankspot.com/premium.php)

UI/ADDON INFORMATION:
Lore's UI (10 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/45772-lore-s-ui.html
Ciderhelm's UI (25 Man Videos): http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f211/41095-ciderhelm-ui-information.html
Please post any questions about UI/Addon's in their respective threads and not in this thread

Mishap
04-16-2009, 03:45 AM
Looks like a fun fight! Can't wait to get in there!

Ciderhelm
04-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Movie up!

infinix
04-16-2009, 04:20 AM
I would be keen to know if anyone's raid has experienced the 'Squeezed Lifeless' ability.
We are using the strategy mentioned in this video guide (running 10man atm), and the DPS on the arm goes fine, but for no apparant reason they will just get squeezed and instantly die.
I can't find anywhere on the net that explains what triggers it. It just seems very inconsistent.
So strange.....

idefygravity
04-16-2009, 05:27 AM
Movie up!

Marry me? ;)

Stompbox
04-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Nice, this fight looks like something from God of War. Can't wait to give it a try!

/shakes fist at lack of server stability

Dubzil
04-16-2009, 07:25 AM
I just want to say.. this boss doesn't act as a wall, for some reason i thought that last night, ran right up to him and off the edge and died lol.

lubz
04-16-2009, 07:25 AM
What is the advantage, if any, of ignoring his left arm and DPS the boss instead?

Ray
04-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Couple quick questions:

1. I was under the impression that the arms had more health (maybe only on 25 man) than they actually subtracted from the boss's HP. Something like 5M HP for the arms and it only took off 3.5M from the boss's HP?

2. If what I was working with is right in the first question, would it not make sense to just DPS the arm when someone is grabbed and then move back to Kologran?

These questions are more specific to the 25 man version.

It does seem like a very simple fight other wise.

brain
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Couple quick questions:

1. I was under the impression that the arms had more health (maybe only on 25 man) than they actually subtracted from the boss's HP. Something like 5M HP for the arms and it only took off 3.5M from the boss's HP?

2. If what I was working with is right in the first question, would it not make sense to just DPS the arm when someone is grabbed and then move back to Kologran?

These questions are more specific to the 25 man version.

It does seem like a very simple fight other wise.

In 25man the arm grabs 3 people, not just 1. The people in his arm being squeezed take A LOT of damage. If some of these people are your healers you are probably not going to be able to save them when you consider reaction time.

The reason to DPS the arm all the time is as soon as players are grabbed you are applying damage to the limit to break them, therefore they break as fast as possible.

I didn't watch the video, but we killed him 25man last night dpsing the squeeze arm and the main body exclusively (and AoEing adds).

onyxtank
04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
This is an honest question and I am not trying to be rude. Do servers with elite guilds such as your own get special treatment by Blizzard. It seems that all the top guilds are raiding with no server glitches, but other servers seem to lock up constantly.

My guild was doing 25 OS last night and the server crashed like every 15 minutes. I then went on an alt to do Scholomance and the same thing was happening. After my 10th Alt-F4 I called it a night.

I read the forums and lots of other servers are having the same problem.

Did your guild experience any server issues while running Ulduar?

Jahira
04-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Does anyone know if the tank can avoid the 25% armor debuff he places on them or how long its duration is? Thanks!

brain
04-16-2009, 09:21 AM

Yes every night so far we have been delayed 1-2 hours on average.

Does anyone know if the tank can avoid the 25% armor debuff he places on them or how long its duration is? Thanks!

If you do not have a tank on the boss in melee range he will breath the raid doing a lot of damage (and eventually killing you). The Debuff is directly in front of him and it IS AOE. Make sure your tanks switch and then the old one gets out from his face.

The debuff lasts like 30s, you should have no problems with 2 tanks rotating after 2 debuffs each. We were able to do the entire encounter with 2 tanks and managing the adds from killing the arm... 2 stacks are healable.

Groundchuck
04-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Sen'jin (Home of Premonition with a handful of world firsts) had a few hours of downtime.

Ensidia mentioned many hours of down time in their posts.

So no. Servers do not get special treatment.

FlyingTaco
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
I would be keen to know if anyone's raid has experienced the 'Squeezed Lifeless' ability.
We are using the strategy mentioned in this video guide (running 10man atm), and the DPS on the arm goes fine, but for no apparant reason they will just get squeezed and instantly die.
I can't find anywhere on the net that explains what triggers it. It just seems very inconsistent.
So strange.....

Also curious about this, seems unlikely it is just a 10 second gib after people get grabbed if you don't do enough damage. The dps requirement doesn't seem like something we could have missed.

Kazeyonoma
04-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Is anyone else reminded of this fight for this:

YouTube - Chrono Trigger Battle #16 - Giga Gaia

Xav
04-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Squeezed Lifeless happens if people are in the right arm for too long and not broken out. After like 15 or 20 seconds, they die instantly.
DPS the arm to get them to be released. Haven't watched the video so I don't know the exact context of the other questions, but killing an arm lowers Kologarn's health.

Murdog
04-16-2009, 11:46 AM
is anyone else reminded of this fight for this:

best game ever chrono trigger > all

Inaara
04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
This is an honest question and I am not trying to be rude. Do servers with elite guilds such as your own get special treatment by Blizzard. It seems that all the top guilds are raiding with no server glitches, but other servers seem to lock up constantly.

My guild was doing 25 OS last night and the server crashed like every 15 minutes. I then went on an alt to do Scholomance and the same thing was happening. After my 10th Alt-F4 I called it a night.

Tuesday nothing worked, couldn't zone in forever and when we finally did the instance server crashed and alot of our toons were stuck in the Ulduar. Yesterday we couldn't zone in with a full raid. 20 manned flame Leviathan and sjust waited for people trying to zone in. When we got sick of that we decided to go to the new WG boss. After winning WG we couldn't zone into that either.

3.1 has been extremely frustrating, almost taking me to the point of wanting to quit.

Lore
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
What is the advantage, if any, of ignoring his left arm and DPS the boss instead?

You get fewer adds by ignoring his left arm. It's also less of a run for melee DPS :P

Lore
04-16-2009, 01:36 PM

This video was taken after waiting 3 hours for servers to be stable =(

ttocs
04-16-2009, 01:44 PM
This video was taken after waiting 3 hours for servers to be stable =(

...then doing a couple of kologarn attempts, to have the server crap out again for another half hour or so.

Muffin Man
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I just want to say.. this boss doesn't act as a wall, for some reason i thought that last night, ran right up to him and off the edge and died lol.

Lol, that might just be more epic than Cider's death (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f64/48694-epic-xt-002-kill.html)

infinix
04-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Squeezed Lifeless happens if people are in the right arm for too long and not broken out. After like 15 or 20 seconds, they die instantly.
DPS the arm to get them to be released. Haven't watched the video so I don't know the exact context of the other questions, but killing an arm lowers Kologarn's health.

Guess there is a bug then. We had people getting squeezed lifeless within 5sec of being picked up. :( Unless there is something more being missed.

rmd83
04-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Is anyone else reminded of this fight for this:

YouTube - Chrono Trigger Battle #16 - Giga Gaia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg0MEYdeKqw)
lol knowing blizzard they probably did base kologarn off of giga gaia. Such a fun fight!

Genova
04-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Ugh kazey why did I just watch that ENTIRE 11 minute video.

I hate you.

Jorge
04-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Question: Has anyone had issues with Kologarn despawning and never returning during a wipe?
We were in the middle of a wipe last nicht, a few seconds before all were dead, he gripped the remaining 3 people and despawned immediately. We thought it was cool, ran back to him, buffed up, but he never reappeared when we approached the ledge.
Of course, GM tickets were not available.

Rak
04-17-2009, 12:23 AM
Question: Has anyone had issues with Kologarn despawning and never returning during a wipe?
We were in the middle of a wipe last nicht, a few seconds before all were dead, he gripped the remaining 3 people and despawned immediately. We thought it was cool, ran back to him, buffed up, but he never reappeared when we approached the ledge.
Of course, GM tickets were not available.
Yes. Soft reset got him back.

Fayre
04-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Does anyone know if the tank can avoid the 25% armor debuff he places on them or how long its duration is?

From my experience on the 10 man, you can avoid it. We decided just to heal through it when he didn't do more than 1 or 2 stacks on the first attempt - and then the next go he managed to get 4 stacks up on me! According to wowhead the debuff is 45s, but that doesn't seem right to me - I thought it was around 15s or so, because it didn't take all that long to drop off.

Ciderhelm
04-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Kayella, the 45 second debuff is the 25-man. 10-man is 20 iirc. And yes, you can avoid it. :)

Going to be encoding an addendum to this tonight!

Fayre
04-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Ah right, that makes sense then :)

Dubzil
04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
So what we did for this boss, since he does seem to have a RNG for his squeeze insta death to gripped people, we had all dps attack the right arm til it died, a tank picked up the adds and ranged AoE'd them down. all dps back on his main body til the right arm went back up, then immediately back on the right arm. By the time the right arm died 2 time he was around 40% hp, so killed the right arm 1 more time, left arm was almost dead from AoEs of hitting the right arm, killed the left arm and he fell.

This boss does enrage (by doing his ability as if someone wasn't in melee range of him)
seems like around 8-10 minutes.

Krenian
04-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Addendum: Don't follow the body once it falls down to the ground unless it's straight. Bad things happen to you if you follow the body and it's slanted on a / or \ direction. -.-

Xero759
04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Managed to do the 10 man encounter last night and after getting on the same track, we were able to take him out in a few attempts.

Been seeing a few posts where people that have ended up getting gripped by the right arm have been dying instantly when released. We've experienced the same effect in all our encounters, so I'd imagine this is a functioning mechanic and not a glitch of some kind. This is going to make the "With arms wide open" Achievement a little more interesting, as you will most likely have to limit exactly how much damage you do to the right arm in order to get a player released but not blow the arm up entirely. The strat in the video is solid though, take out the right arm, raid heal through the left. He's got a HUGE hitbox too, so spacing out to be ready to run from eye beams is advisable

Darksend
04-18-2009, 03:27 AM
Stone Nova - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63978)

I would love to know how your tank deals with that when you just casually DPS them. We have all our AOE focus them down immediately and I still usually end up with at least a 10 stack minimum.

Lyco
04-19-2009, 12:11 AM
We found zerging him easier XD.
Just fullout nuke on the body untill he dies lol.

Brun
04-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Stone Nova - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=63978)

I would love to know how your tank deals with that when you just casually DPS them. We have all our AOE focus them down immediately and I still usually end up with at least a 10 stack minimum.

We've been having issues with this too, our tanks kept getting instagibbed by the adds as soon as they picked them up - they seemed to ALL Stone Nova at the same time as soon as they aggro someone, so if your tank is on top of them when they spawn, he gets 6 Stone Novas to the face and dies almost instantly. We solved the problem by having our Paladin tank drop a consecrate when the arm is about to die, then run out. The consecrate would grab the adds but he'd be out of range for their initial crazy damage.

Also - you could have a warrior tank the adds since they're stunnable, and he could just stand there and shockwave them and greatly reduce the damage he takes.

influxreptile
04-19-2009, 01:30 AM
It seems that he can't look straight down (the position where you have your tanks as usually). It might be bugged but if you stack up the entire raid at that position you can simply zerg, without having to watch the eye beams at all.

(note that I didn't confirm this myself yet, it was apparantly done this way by another guild on our server)

Joacimcans
04-19-2009, 08:43 AM
worth noting if you are a warrior tank if you can get a charge off on the body............... the one time i did i fell to my death so a casual stroll up to his body is the much safer bet.

Celairia
04-19-2009, 10:02 AM
It seems that he can't look straight down (the position where you have your tanks as usually). It might be bugged but if you stack up the entire raid at that position you can simply zerg, without having to watch the eye beams at all.

(note that I didn't confirm this myself yet, it was apparantly done this way by another guild on our server)

I can personally refute this. The eye beams seem to prefer ranged (Specifically our warlock...) but occasionally would target melee DPS, leading to an exciting moment of panic for all involved.

Brun
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Not true, our MT, or someone near him (we think it might have been a Hunter Pet, or a random melee no one saw) got Eye-Beamed and died. So he definitely does have the ability to Eye-Beam close enough to the the tank to kill him.

akira5284
04-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I wanted to contribute everything we learned about this fight tonight. I apologize if I repeat anything that was in the video or posted already.

Our raid setup for 10-man was:

2 Holy Pallies, Holy Priest, Hunter, Boomkin, Ret Pally, DK, 2 Prot Warriors, Enhancement Shaman.

Positioning:

Since we had 5 ranged and they were placed on the diamonds one square into the room. One person per diamond. This made it so the person could tell who was getting laser eyes and then that persn would turn and run out of the room and down the stairs until the eyes stopped focusing. Then they would return to their spot.

MT/Melee were on Kologarn in front of his chest. Melee must face his chest in order to DPS the arms.

When Elementals spawned the OT would grab them and tank them to the left of the right arm.

Strategy:

We used the strategy mentioned in the video. Take out the right arm any time it's up, else work on Kologarn.

To go into details:

Healers: 2 Healers focused on MT with one healer focusing on Raid after shockwaves. Healers did need good situational awareness in case one healer has to run away from eye or gets grabbed. If laser eyes ever focused a healer they would run out the room and down the stairs.

Ranged DPS: Stood on their diamond and DPSed the arm until dead. Once dead, they would AOE the rock elementals. Once all elementals are dead, they would DPS Kologarn until arm respawned. If they were ever the target of laser eyes, they would run out of the room until it stopped.

Melee DPS: Stood still and DPSed are or DPSed Kologarn. Melee did not have to move at all. Just faced his chest and changed targets as needed.

Tanks: Both tanks stood in front of Kologarn and switched aggro by taunting if 2 armor debuffs were put on a tank. When arm died and rock elementals came out, whichever tank is not tanking picked up the adds. They were tanked away from the melee. During this time the Add tank has to watch out for being focused by eyes. Tanks did not switch aggro on Kologarn until all the adds were dead. With two healers focusing on the Kologarn tank it is possible to have 2 debuffs and live, cooldowns also helped.

Things to NOT do:

1) We had several issues with running left/right to avoid eye beams. It seems that the beams would constantly hit, so only running backwards was 100% ok.

2) Tank should never taunt Kologarn if not in melee range. Accidentally hit AOE taunt while tanking adds and it aggroed the boss. Since the tank is not in melee range he will do Petrify breath. Basically, whoever has aggro must be in his melee range.

3) Do not try to put casters in Kologarn's melee range, he interrupt casting.

4) Do not stack multiple people on the same ranged spot. This will lead to confusion as to who the eye beam is coming for.

Summary:

2 Tanks, 3 Healers, 5 DPS worked best for us. Ranged were spread out in a line and if they got eye beams they would run out of the room. Melee DPS does not move and just have to switch targets while facing Kologarn's Chest. Ranged AOEs adds when they come out. Tanks rotate boss after 2 debuffs unless OT is tanking adds, then MT just pops a cooldown until adds are dead, then the switch.

I hope I help someone with this and I hope everyone who tries this fight has a blast. Enjoy everyone.

Ciderhelm
04-20-2009, 05:04 AM
Addendum up!

Squashed
04-20-2009, 05:16 AM
The rubble that spawn after the Right Arm dies do some AoE damage. Our first 10man attempt we thought this was due to when they died. Reading some information on wowhead.com and here on tankspot it appears that it is from Stone Nova, which the Rubble casts somewhat randomly.

Can anyone confirm that the stone-rubble do not have an AoE on death ability, and is 100% safe to ranged AoE them down.

bludwork
04-20-2009, 06:27 AM
Just wanted to add for the 25man something very important when tanking the adds. In several videos the tank just stands there and tanks all the adds. This is wrong! Stone nova is a pulsating aoe effect. If you stand in the aoe your stacking debuff can get as high as 50% and result in lots of damage.

When tanking the adds on heroic keep moving them in a circle on the left side constantly moving out of the stone nova aoe. This way it does not stack more than 2-3 times healing you is relatively light and healers can focus on keeping the rest of the raid alive + being more mobile.

Noraxe
04-20-2009, 08:07 AM
Sen'jin (Home of Premonition with a handful of world firsts) had a few hours of downtime.

Ensidia mentioned many hours of down time in their posts.

So no. Servers do not get special treatment.

On Magtheridon, we had to wait 30++ minutes if we wiped.
When trying to enter Ulduar we got the message "The instance can not be found".

So we got 2 attempts on Flame and 2 on Ignis and we wiped once on the trash to ignis.
The flame wipe was due to someone thought it would be fun to explore up the ramp to the left while driving to the gates >_<

Kyultu
04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure whether it is an avoidance or resist mechanic (haven't gone through logs of the fight yet, my money is on it following melee mechanics though) but it is possible for Kologarn to fail to apply it to a tank. The debuff lasts 45 seconds and has fallen off of me before a second application and we managed to delay the tank switch.

You will also notice the animation for the attack is different depending on whether Kologarn successfully applies the debuff or not. He will always show the "overhead slam" animation where he slams the ground around you with the clenched fist. The "Explosion" graphic only seems to occur if the debuff is actually applied and will give you a more immediate indication of when you need to swap tanks or use cooldowns.

I'd be curious to know whether the same is true of audio during the encounter (I don't play with sound so I can't comment on that personally).

law90026
04-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Comments:

1) Yes, the 25% armour debuff can be avoided. It fell off me a few times and seldom stacked higher than 2.
2) We experienced Squeeze Lifeless because we tried just dps'ing the body only for the Achievement. Basically, whoever is being squeezed dies after 10-15s since they take 80+k damage. The Achievement therefore is a dps race from what I can see.

If you died earlier, it's probably from the constant 5k damage (check your logs to see what killed you, Squeeze Lifeless is 80+k).

Perfectguns
04-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Throughout this encounter we realized the left hand was taking damage every single time it performed a shockweave. At some point the right hand was down we switched to the left hand which had roughly 120k at that time and burned heroism while the boss had about 1mil hp and downed him before he respawned any of his hands. 10mans. Made it a lot easier because for some odd reason the boss he would always target really weak armour or either almost dead player at that point during the encounter.

EDIT: After discussion with our raid, we are currently not sure if whether or not the hand was dealing himself damage by swiping the raid, or because we had a druid tanking with berserk on to try to deal additional damage to the hand. I doubt the druid could of done that much damage on the berserk time in the event that berserk had enough range to reach additional target from his position which was in the middle of the boss. Will post more info as soon as we have anything new.

lazor
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone know what mod is that on the lower right hand side on the video with the damage and heals scrolling upwards with the icons?

dontazemebro
04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
from what i've found, kologard's hit box is rather large and melee players can easily target any arm or torso by just being in range of any of the targets.

for example, we had our melee standing under the "Left Arm" hitting the "Right Arm" and the off-tank standing under the "Right Arm" ready to pick up the rubble.

also, for dealing with the eyes we used a "Down and Out" strategy by having our ranged line up about 5 yards apart from another.

when using his laser attack, he places two lasers at the targets' feet. when this occurred, we had that player step forward a few steps then strife right or left.

this sort of organization helped us a lot with avoiding extra damage.

agonis
04-21-2009, 11:21 AM
i've read here that you can avoid the 25% debuff.
You mean it is resistable, or there are some tricks behind the skill he uses while applying the debuff, a part from dodging\parrying the hit?

Kyultu
04-22-2009, 10:14 AM
It is a "On next melee attack" type of ability (like Heroic Strike or Maul) so a dodge, parry or miss would prevent the attack from causing damage and applying the debuff. There is no trick to it, but I would wear an avoidance set for the encounter (theoretically your overall effective health would actually scale with your avoidance).

Jahira
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Couple things that helped us.

As has been previously noted, both hands and the body share the same hit box. We loosely clump the melee on the left arm and DPS down the right, moving on to the body afterward. This allows the melee to be nowhere near the rumble pack when it spawns. This also allows attacks that strike multiple targets to pull triple duty.

We usually do a tank swap when his right arm is at 25-30%, even if the tank only has one debuff. This allows a fresh tank to be on the boss when the pack shows up and we don't have to worry about excessive stacks while AoEing down the pack.

It also helps if the tank doesn't run off the edge... just saying... not that I know anyone who did that...

Damonvile
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM

His armor crush ability locks out spell casters so healers and caster dps can't stand in melee range.

viper57728
04-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey I hope this works, and I hope this doesn't break any rules this forum has. While I find the videos to be the easiest to understand, along side the excellent commentary by the tankspot team, my guild and some others I have pugged with in this game, have proven that some things need to be clarified even more. I took it upon myself to go ahead and draw up a real quick photoshop piece to display the most important aspecs of this fight, and what strat / positioning worked flawlessly for us. This is for 10-man only, I have no idea the validity of it for 25-man, so don't hold it against me if you try this on 25 and get rocked.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/Viper57728/Ulduar%20Raid%20strat/Kologarn-1.jpg

If there is another place I should be posting information like this, feel free to move it or if this violates any terms / agreeances then feel free to delete it, just thought this could be something GM's could post on their guild forum to help further clarify a strat.

Also, I have some more drawn up very similar to this for other bosses such as Auriya. Basically any boss that involves placement of raid members that could otherwise be easier to see by a drawing I will be doing. That said, bosses like Flame Leviathan I will be skipping since there really is no set positioning. If you'd all like to see more, just let me know and I will post them in the respective threads / where ever a forum leader tells me too =)

Thanks all,

Sinmore.

kelestalas
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
what addons are the ret pally using? is it possible to get a full list?

winnetou
04-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Stone Grip - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64292) will deal damage for 10 seconds. If the hand manages to apply a 10th damage tick, the target is released and Squeezed Lifeless - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64702) is applied to finish it off, regardless of current health.
These spells and values are the heroic versions.

Bokeh
04-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Just wanted to add for the 25man something very important when tanking the adds. In several videos the tank just stands there and tanks all the adds. This is wrong! Stone nova is a pulsating aoe effect. If you stand in the aoe your stacking debuff can get as high as 50% and result in lots of damage.

When tanking the adds on heroic keep moving them in a circle on the left side constantly moving out of the stone nova aoe. This way it does not stack more than 2-3 times healing you is relatively light and healers can focus on keeping the rest of the raid alive + being more mobile.

If you move around it just becomes a pain for the aoe to bring them down fast. On 25, we have a single holy paladin healing me through the adds, if you rotate shockwave into shield block into last stand into shield wall (both glyphed) you hardly take any serious damage from the adds, and by the time the next wave of adds comes your shield wall and last stand should be off cooldown again. destro locks can add in a shadowfury if they're specced into it. Just stand still, take the beating like a man and don't forget to mute yourself on vent when you cry like a little girl :P

Havard
04-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Regarding the recommendation to use Dampen Magic on the ranged, are the ranged raid members meant to take it off if grabbed by Stone Grip? Or did you find that keeping people in Stone Grip wasn't an issue, and thus have them leave it on?

Edit: For clarity, I'm referring to the recommendation found in the Addendum video guide.

dragonicecks
05-04-2009, 12:35 PM
First time poster.

Last night was my guilds first 25 man downing of Kol. We were able to get the right arm down 3 times, leaving him with about 2.2mil hp left. And after a few wipes around there i noticed that the left arm was always ending up at about 25% hp, due to a few blood DK's and me as an arms warrior using sweeping strike and blade storm a bit. So we decided that it was best to have the add tank hold the adds on the third right arm down, and go directly to the left arm. We had our locks put a few dots on the left arm periodically thought he fight as well. The strat worked out great, and the left arm was near 20% after the right arm downed, allowing us to quickly burst the left arm and down kologarn.

Klimpen
05-24-2009, 02:27 AM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/8327/kologarnpositioning.jpg

Just something which I threw together for my guild.

Yellow=Melee.
Blue=Casters.
Red=Eye-beam safe run area.

I specifically made the sides red too as we had a fair number of melee get targeted by his eye-beam. [I believe our kill had only melee being targeted].

amnimaa
05-28-2009, 09:06 PM
for all wondering about the "squeeze lifeless" ability weve noticed that unless 100k dmg is done to the left arm from the second somone gets into its grip they will die when he throws them back out of his grip i havent seen him 25man so i dont know what the stats for that is :( sorry.
also what ive noticed and what our melee has taken a great liking to is that you can stand right on the tank and still hit both arms JUST BY TARGETING THEM :) you dont have to turn or anything and the armor debuff is only hitting the tank for us so the melee shouldnt be worried about anything like that
one more thing id like to point out is that if your melee heavy in this fight its ok because the melee will stack right infront of the body and be able to hit both arms and as long as somone was OUT of melee range
for us the eye beams target the ranged people(healers,ranged DPS) and not the melee so strafing left and right you will easily be able to dodge the beams and if you can keep dpsing during that we also used heroism after the arm respawned for the first time because that seemed to be our hardest thing to cope with DPS wise

Lucetia
05-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Alright, I'm going to feel real stupid asking this. Maybe I'm missing something completely obvious, but we have issues with this fight. The melee stand at his waste and have trouble hitting his right arm, myself included. For some reason it seems like every time we do this guy something goes wrong with a healer or tank dying. We've downed him a few times, but I'm beginning to wonder if its just luck.

Any suggestions anyone might have on this guy?

Rhyseh
05-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Melee Stand Directly infront of him and face his torso at all times (yes even when DPSing the right arm)

Lucetia
05-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Melee Stand Directly infront of him and face his torso at all times (yes even when DPSing the right arm)

This is the technique I even attempted when I'm meleeing the right arm waiting for spawns to arrive. I can hit my special attacks, but my melee never hit.

donakabamy
06-02-2009, 03:03 PM
is anyone getting a tool tip error for the armor debuff saying you armor is reduced by 0%? because my guild attempted kolo and we were getting our buts kicked because my tank didn't know when to swap out because the debuff wasnt "stacking" was anyone else experincing this issue? Also does kolo usally hit for alot of damage all the time because I seemed to notice that my tanks health was droping very quickly and another one of my healer friends that have done this before said they have never seen a tank drop that quick. here is his armory link The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bonechewer&n=Borridor) he is in his dual spec right now :P but he was his main spec last night

velouriam
06-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Did this last night in 10 man. First off i noticed it seems kologarn can be very buggy. We wiped the first time and he disappeared only to reappear immediatly. our second attempt...he blew wind on our healer in the middle of the fight who was standing in the middle of the room and one hit killed him even tho i was and had always been right in front of kologarn. when we wiped kologarn disapeared and didnt reappear til we restarted encounter. Dont know if others have experienced this or not. But we did end up killing kologarn on our next attempt

Also..as for the reducing armor debuff.... i NEVER got more than one stack on me. Seems a good avoidance tank will do the trick and never allow more than one to get on you making the encounter alot less stressful for tanks.

Rpgman25
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Is it better to have both tanks on the main boss at the start of the fight or to have the main tank run up and start it while the off tank just waits for the adds and to taunt the boss when required? My guild was running 10 man and we had problems with the tanks getting killed almost immediatly, is that a question of gear or is there something we're missing. We were using the strategy in the video.

Rpgman25
06-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Also with regards to Donakabamy's post I noticed that I never reached more than 1 debuff while either being main tank or offtank. If you wear a shield you can block it, or you can dodge or parry, so high avoidance tanks don't get stacks, at least I never reached more than one debuff that lasted for 5 seconds

DashiHawk
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Just for clarification. On 10 man the Armor Debuff from his overhead slam is only 20 seconds correct?

Also the tanks that I run with, 2 Prot Warrs, Said they cannot see the debuff on them. They are using the regular UI with no mods to it at all(I told them they should look into changing around their UI's but they just ignored me.) Do you have to have a mod to the UI to see the Debuff? Or are they always parrieng and or dodging the Overhead Slam?

My guild has Run kolo before and basicly one shot him several times. But this week we have been on him for 3 hours. I was about to flip out on everyone. We just keep getting screwed over by him. This should be an easy fight I really dont understand what is going on.

Surmaaja
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
No, of course you dont need any special mods to see the debuff. Last time I did it on 10man the debuff lasted about 5 seconds and we didnt need to switch tanks at all.

Mr.Winkle
06-11-2009, 05:05 AM
For those getting wiped by seemingly random breaths from kologarn it's probably because your MT switch targets to the right arm. The MT should always be tragetting the main body.

dorimira
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I just wanted to add on here, as I see a few laser strats already we created a super simplified method of doing these, and it really takes the thinking out of it.

On one of our first attempts, we noticed positioning on this while not super tricky, can get a little busy when trying to move lasers around, this is especially true if your getting a lot of melee strikes, as we seem to do.

So we created a special grid

Melee-------------

Laser run --------

Healer/ranged ---

Essentially what your doing, is spreading your melee out at the front. And your ranged and healers can be spread out at the back. There is plenty of room because the platform is more horizontal than vertical in length.

Anytime anyone gets the laser buff, if they are melee, they simply step back and strafe.

If they are ranged, or healer, they step in and strafe.

We keep everyone extra secure by making sure people are not stacked on each other, just in case someone is a little slow to react.

What this does is assures there is always a safe line to run, your not walking around anyone, and instead of having to look for other players and plot your U-turn, you can simply move and go.

I hope this is helpful for someone, it sure was for us, this fight is fun and pretty easy, and this strat trivialized.

quicksilver10
06-26-2009, 11:35 AM
We did 10-man Kologarn last night and I was caught in hand squeeze a couple times. We used vent to announce who was being squeezed and 1 of our 2 healers healed through the squeeze and I didn't die.
We had two tanks, one on the body and one to pick up the rubble addons. Everyone DPsed the arm until it was broken then immediately went to the torso. When the arm (right) respawned we went back to the arm.
When the arm broke the 2d tank moved the rubble to just left of the torso (About the armpit).
We were able to kill the boss after three arm respawns.

Buckster
06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
in our 10man runs, the stacking debuff glitches and won't go past 1 stack, so we don't even switch tanks at all and just keep one on the arm at all times

Muffin Man
06-29-2009, 11:24 AM
They patched Kolo about a month and a half ago so that the armor debuff couldn't stack in 10 man.

Tank swapping in 10 man while also grabbing rubble was really brutal that first week or two of Ulduar. I guess Blizz decided that 10 man already had 2 tanking jobs so they took out the tank swap.

Cyrak
06-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Ok I need some help PLZ!! ive read all the posts and watched the kologarn 10 video and my guild and i have downed kologarn on 10s but we're needing help in the 25 version. I dont know if we're missing a part of the strat or we're doing it wrong or what, so im asking for some much needed help. This is what we've got: (3 tanks: 2 unholy dk tanks and 1 prot paly tank) 2 for kologarn and 1 for the adds that spawn when his arm is destroyed. 6 healers and the rest are DPS... the 2 tanks are trading at every 2 stacks of the armor debuff. All melee are stacking on the tanks at his waist, while ranged are at the big long horizontal block at the door way with healers surrounding them, ( i think thats a good way to put it) when eyebeams happen, whoever is targeted run fwd just a bit and to the right to avoid the grp, when he runs his back is right up against the wall. When the adds are spawned the 3rd tank aoe taunts and picks them up and pulls them to the far left, rather then kite he had a dedicated healer to maintain him thru the stone aura to make AOE's more effective. usually we're only lasting thru 1 arm break before a tank eats it or somethin catastrophic happens. We know that when he grabs ppl he'll grab 3 at a time and that his arm needs to be DPS's to the break limit to set them free, but what are we missing?? Are we just doing it wrong? is it bad positioning?? do we need another tank? whats the piece of the puzzle that we're missing??? Please help!!

Zurena
06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
A couple of questions for you Cyrak.
First - which tank is dying? (Adds or one of the body tanks?)
Secondly - when you check the combat logs what does s/he seem to be dying of.

Those two things will probably point you straight to the solution, and if not that info will get you a more specific answer.

Cyrak
06-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Zurena,

Sorry about that, the 1st time we wiped Myself (unholy dk tank) died first, it was to an overhead smash, i only had 1 armor debuff. the 2nd time the prot pally tank died he hadnt even taken a debuff yet when he died, and 3 and 4th times it was the adds tank (another unholy dk tank) that died. after usually we died because a healer or 2 was gripped and not enough heals were being dished out.a couple of ranged here and there were dying to eyebeams but it was 1s and 2s here and there over the course of the night. between the tanks it seemed like we were getting hit for 50 to 60k from the overhead smash attacks

Zurena
06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Ouch! Here are some thoughts based on what we do.

We do DPS right hand until it is down, body - back to right hand when it respawns (lather rinse repeat) and not waiting for someone to be grabbed. (Which ensures as few people in the hand as possible.)

What I do when I hear Kolo starting his "OBLIVION" is pop some mitigation. It is a scary lot of damage that happens all at once (raid wide.) Tha said there are only so many mitigation cool downs and they can run out.

The healers in the hand (or the eye beams) can really mess up the healing (and he does seem to have a thing for healers.) Encouraging HOTs can help ride through the healer unable to heal problem but of course you need both HOTs and other heals going.

My husband (one of our healers) says HOTs and group heals are what save the raid in this fight - and I suspect the thing that will help the most will be the healers learning how to better coordinate to cover a tank healer being eyebeamed/handed that will make the fight work - with the tanks doing what mitigation they can.

Cyrak
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Ok so we hit 25 kologarn tonight and after a few wipes the strat we used to down kologarn was as such. (thank god to):

3 Tanks
1 Blood dk tank
1 unholy dk tank (myself)
1 prot pally

the 2 dk tanks were the tanks that traded debuffs, we traded at every 1 stack, once i had a stack he taunted if his debuff was clear or as soon as it was. the pally tank dps'd the arm and picked up the rubble adds.

We had 6 healers and and 1/2 and 1/2 on dps between ranged and melee. we had 2 dedicated healers for the 3 that gripped and 1 for the adds tank. all melee dps stood underneath his right arm at about his elbow and did not move. the adds tank kited the adds to the far left wall while making sure to keep within range of the ranged dps.i figure that the BIGGEST thing needed i guess we were missing or not enough of was communication between the 2 tanks, and the healers specifically what tank was taking aggro and the debuff currently.

On the first time we dpsed the arm we blew it up using pretty much all the CD's and on the 2nd we Bloodlusted to get the arm down pretty quick. we had to kill the arm 3 times before he died. Other than that it isnt awhole lot different then the 10m version everything else was the same. coordination between healers healing the members in the grip and what tank was tanking

Kronorus
07-01-2009, 07:19 PM

Haha I did the same thing. Probably one of our funniest wipes ever!

Chamenas
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Is the tank swapping method still ideal? We attempted Kologarn 25 last night, and though I never noticed gaining more than 1 stack of the debuff, I was taking around 38k damage on some hits, which made it very difficult for healers to keep me up. Should we be swapping whenever the debuff is applied?

Chamenas
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Please tell me I didn't kill the thread?

Zurena
07-20-2009, 11:34 AM
LOL, no you didn't kill the thread. Once the (his) right arm drops the buffs will last longer and you can get a stack of 2 (or more?) of the debuff. We taunt off when it builds up to 2. If your healers are having problems with the damage from one, you could try tanks taunting off at one debuff.
It does look like from the logs that I have received a maximum physical hit of about 35k so he does hit hard. I don't seem to have the patience/tools to determine if this is after the debuff or not, but I would guess so.

Subjectively the debuff does seem to be taking longer to build up, so they may have changed the debuff duration (or it may just be a trick of perception.)

Maros_vek
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
We are still having trouble with this one too. And I would LOVE to only be getting hit with 35k. I am getting regular hits in excess of 40k. With my dodge, parry, and block all about 25%, I'm avoiding alot, but sooner or later he hits me and I have no mitigation proc. Boom... dead tank. I am warrior, but the druid OT usually dies before I do, typically right AFTER he hands Kolagar back to me. Go figure!

Near as I can tell, it's usually because we have lost 2 or 3 of our healers by the time I go boom (doggone those eyes anyway!). We've been getting regularly to 30%, but can't seem to pop that bubble. Oh well... we will get there!

Chamenas
07-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I didn't even notice the stacks go up once the arm went down, that was it. Thanks.

Rahnken
08-12-2009, 08:06 PM
As an arms warrior i love to charge to get my juggernaut buff but i can't seem to charge at kologarn or his arms i continue to get the "No Path Available" error is there anyway to charge or no? any help with this would be appreciated

Rowaishedawi
08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
i had as idea when we wipe more than once on it..

in 10man mode..

normal way is dpsing right arm , aoe adds , dpsing boss and doing this for 2-4 times
it`s gd way but take long time and if ur healers be off of mana so u r dead !

i was thinking what will happen if we do it like this : dpsing the left arm till it had 50-100k , destroy the right arm , aoe the right arm adds, destroy the left arm fast , aoe its adds , dpsing boss little bit

if u was asking urself what the diffirance for doing this..the diffirance is : when u destroy any arm the boss will lose 500k hp as i though which mean 3.6M >> 3.1M when u destroy the right arm and 3.1M will be 2.6M when u destroy the left arm..dpsing the boss little time and i will suggest u will dpsing him at least 300k hp so he will have around 2.3M (1.3M) in one shot and maybe it will be more if u dpsing more than 300k on boss after destroying his arms

i didn`t count the tank dpsing on boss when the dpsers doing what im saying

by the way i didn`t try it yet but im not the leader that`s why i didn`t try it yet !!

it seems faster than normal way and solution of ur healers don`t able for long fight

what u think ?

Thedom
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Since the arms have the same amount of health this is essentially the same as any other method unless there is a large amount of AoE damaging the left arm. If your healers are running out of mana before killing the boss then you likely have gearing or skill issues in the raid rather than strategy issues.

Muffin Man
08-24-2009, 01:24 AM
The other reason most raids don't kill the left arm is Kolo will start casting: Stone Shout - Spell - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=64004) when both arms are dead, which will probably end up being more raid damage than if the left arm is up.

Also you're going to lose dps if you are constantly killing the adds this way.

Rowaishedawi
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
yea but i mean u can use it like a "last shot"
let the left arm have low hp and when kolo have low hp u can kill him by destroying the left arm only and he will be dead