PDA

View Full Version : Another S-Priest :)

Silver
04-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Hello there.
I know you have alot of these questions and that people might be blind... I feel like on of them :eek:. But hey :) I dont wear glasses :rolleyes:
Well. Im a priest at lvl 80. Has quite okayish gear.. If you like purple :D
But Im quite dissapointed on my talent build..

What Im trying to get is the: Discipline tree - I try and get Mental strength.

5/5 Twin Disciplines
2/2 Imp PW:F
3/3 Imp Inner Fire
3/3 Imp PW:Shield
3/3 Meditation
5/5 Mental Agility (Aint really happy of that one. But not seen any better)
5/5 Mental Strength
In Holy I have

Nothing.
Shadow

3/3 Spirit Tap
2/2 Imp Spirit Tap
2/2 Imp PW:Pain
3/3 Shadow Focus
5/5 Imp Mind Blast
1/1 Mind Flay
3/3 Shadow Weaving
2/2 Shadow Reach
1/1 Vampiric Embrace
2/2 Imp Vampiric Embrace
3/3 Focused Mind
5/5 Darkness
1/1 Shadowform
2/2 Mind Melt
2/2 Imp Shadowform
5/5 Shadow Power
1/1 Vampiric Touch
2/3 Misery
I have to admit that I am some kind of Intellect Freak + Spell power freak. But having the talent I have now, never lets me get down in mana. But I know that I lose some spellpower from the other talents. But Perhaps it has to do something about the Casting Cycle..

Basicly how im casting is..

Vampiric Touch
Vampiric Embrace
PW: Pain
Mind Blast
Mind Flay till the CD on the Mind blast is done. Then Mind Blast again
Thanks for your time reading this.
//Silver from Draenor.

Yahto
04-17-2009, 12:22 AM
This may be unwarranted, but why is a priest posting on a tanking forum asking for gear/talent advice.

Squeegiemama
04-17-2009, 01:07 AM
I think you should take a trip to shadowpriest.com • Index page (http://www.shadowpriest.com/) you might find more expert opinions on that site.

Martie
04-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Probably because he knows who the real brains in any raid are.

(Okay, that sounded conceited, but to a degree it's true. The tanks, in general, must have the best grasp on the intricacies of the tactics.)
(Please correct my spelling - I suspect some errors, but my dutch mind can't find 'em.)

But back to the question at hand.

Wait, there is no question.

Well, not knowing what you wanted to ask definatly makes it tricky to answer. Tricky, but not impossible to the brilliance in my brain.

You say you are disappointed in your talent tree. What you have to ask yourself is why. If you don't do the highest dps of your raids, don't worry. A shadowpriest raiding with similarly geared and skilled players shouldn't consistently hit the top of the damage meters, but they shouldn't be too low either. The extra mana and health generated by the shadowpriest is, especially in a 25man, nice to have, and that can be taken into account.

Being a spellpower and intellect nut is a good thing, but don't forget things like hit (I've had wipes due to missing mind controls). You should find a balance of things in there, where it lies depends on your play style abd your ability to do the math behind it all.

If you are unsure about your casting cycle, go to a training dummy and try out different rotations - don't be afraid to use some less orthodox spells in your test rotations, you could be surprised at the effect some of the spells could have. Researching these things yourself is always the best thing to do.
Here's how I'd start, assuming you want to go for max dps.

Figure out your max dps spells and their cooldowns. Remember - trash doesn't count, so assume the fight will last several minutes.
Dots count - effectively - as spells that do their damage at once, but with a cooldown equal to their duration. Channeled spells effectively have a cast time of their channel time, also calculate it for all the damage it does. Instant spells count as having a 1.5 second cooldown.
You want to figure out a rotation where every spell is cast the moment their cooldown is up, and once that is taken care of, you want to fill the remaining time as efficiently as possible.
Let's see, I'll give you a start on how I'd do it, you'll need to figure out the details by yourself.
Vampiric Embrace lasts long enough not to include in the rotation. You should, of course, start the fight with it, but the rotation starts after it.
The duration of Shadow word: pain gets refreshed by a talent, no need to include it.

Vampiric touch. 1.5 sec cast, 15 seconds cooldown. (Vt)
Mind Flay. 3 second cast. (Mf)
Devouring Plague, 1.5 sec cast, 24 seconds cooldown. (Dp)
Mind Blast. 1.5 sec cast, 5.5 sec cooldown. (Mb)

Lets use those four spells as a basis.

The longest cooldown in there is 24 seconds, so the rotation will take at least that long.
Only one spell in there has a real casting time, and that is twice the length of the global cooldown. This is good, since it means you can fit the rotation into a gcd block system.
Since you didn't include devouring plague in your original rotation, I'm going to assume you don't value it that much. That's good, since then I can make a rotation where it falls off the target for a bit every rotation.

I'll pick a 30 second rotation. That's two casts of Vampiric touch, keeping it on the target at all times, recasting it shortly after it falls off.

30 seconds is 20 global cooldowns, so I start visualizing the rotation.

01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Vt -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- Vt -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Then I start filling in other spells. You seemed to like Mind blast, so I'll prioritize that as well. Since all other spells in the rotation are on a 1.5 second or 3 second cast time, the cooldown will effectively be 6 seconds. So let's fill that in. You also seemed to like mind flay, so lets throw that after the mind blast. Note it takes up two slots (Mf ff). That's because it takes two times the time to cast.

Vt Mb Mf ff -- Mb Mf ff -- Mb Vt Mf ff Mb Mf ff -- Mb Mf ff

Okay, that's looking a bit better. Very few empty spots, and only one spell to go. So let's throw that one in there on the earliest opportunity.

Vt Mb Mf ff Dp Mb Mf ff -- Mb Vt Mf ff Mb Mf ff -- Mb Mf ff
Well, that looks kinda nice. It still needs some spell to fill up those two empty spots. Lemme browse through the spells for a bit then.
Throw in a fade(fa) just for good measure (let's be arrogant and assume this rotation is ultra-effective,) and we are well on our way to a decent rotation. The last spot can be kept open for longer cooldown spells such as shadowfiend, or filled up with Shadow word: Death just to annoy your healers.

I hope that gave you some idea as to how to create a working rotation. Of course, this rotation is rather long, and I'm by no means a shadowpriest expert, but feel free to improve on it.