PDA

View Full Version : Blood Craze myth...

Ongweboenwe
04-14-2009, 09:25 PM
I was doing my talent build today and I reacall hearing somewhere some time ago that Blood Craze will proc on a defense capped warrior when an attack was "supposed" to crit that tank. The theory being that this supposed crit will procc blood craze, but then be prevented from defense rating.

Does anyone have any evidence that this does or does not work?

Kazeyonoma
04-14-2009, 10:21 PM
If you are def capped, they base your chance to activate Blood Craze on some random number based on your def/resil.

Ongweboenwe
04-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I hate to sound ignorant...but what??

Also to extrapolate, do you believe in a survival sort of things...this would be worth investing the 3 points as a raid tank?

Kek
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
It's very close to the way you've described (or it was, anyway). If you have enough Defense or Resilience to reduce your chance to be crit to zero (by PvE damage), your chance of proccing Blood Craze on a given hit is the same as your crit reduction. That is, you can (again, used to anyway) actually increase your chance of proccing Blood Craze by getting more and more Resilience. I don't know if a percentage cap has been put on this effect, but I do know that it has been nerfed a little. Some environmental damage that used to proc Blood Craze (fire damage from braziers, for example) no longer does. I do not know if the effect has been further refined to limit procs based on the actual crit chance of the mob (or player) dealing damage, but that seems a little complicated.

Of note: the chance of proccing Blood Craze (or the old Enrage) was never based on whether the attack "would have been" a crit because that possibility is not in the combat table. Blood Craze procs in one of two ways: a) you receive a crit. b) a random chance based on your crit reduction from Defense or Resilience.

Zenwolf
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
I was doing a little number crunching and it seems like, assuming Blood Craze does proc when Defense has removed crits from the table, that a mix of 3/3 Blood Craze(BC) and 2/5 Commanding Presence(CP) would actually give a tank more life than 5/5 CP.

Example:
Tank Foo has 40,255 life with 0/5 CP.

With 5/5 CP he has 40,819 life.

With 2/5 CP he has 40,481 life.
However, a single BC proc in a fight would give him back 2,429 life. If it procs more, then it's even better.

So if you were to spec that far into Fury, it seems to logically make sense that 3/3 BC and 2/5 CP would be the better scenario for a tank.

However, there may be other factors that I am unaware of that might mess up these assumptions. For instance, this random proc rate based on defense or whatnot. Who knows what that rate is?

Zenwolf
05-03-2009, 01:21 AM
Update: I tried blood craze for two ulduar-10 raids as main tank. WWS showed zero procs. It seems pretty useless; stick to 5/5 commanding presence.

Ciderhelm
06-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Defense has nothing to do with it, only Resilience.