PDA

View Full Version : Gold Farming for Moolah…

Krumgork
04-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Okay, legalities aside is this doable?

I stumbled onto a website today that said they'd pay .005˘ per gold for your WoW gold! That's sounds like a ripoff, but it is what it is. They're paying you real money for digital property.

Assuming you needed $2000/mo. to pay your bills that would require farming 400,000g every month. Now, if you quit your job and played World of Warcraft "professionally" for 10 hours/day could you do it?

That's 300 hours play time (on the clock) just farming gold. Playing the AH, everything you can do. Could you make 400,000g a month?

I think I'd like to give it a try just to see if I could do it. You don't actually have to play 10 hours/day, 30 days a month. Just keep track of your farm time. You only get 300 hours for the challenge.

Aldragoriad
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Problem I see with it is anything that is that lucrative would run into problems with killing your own market. Its one thing to find something you can do for a few hours a week that makes 1300g/hr, its another to find something or somethings that you could do to make that much for 70ish hours a week.

Krumgork
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Good point, now assuming you have 10 80s on 10 servers? Then you don't flood the market.

Nez
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Playing WoW "Professionally" in this way would likely end up with you being banned. LoL

Aldragoriad
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
You still have to find 10 markets that can support 1300g/hr at 7 hours a week, my guess is you'd be looking at 15ish 80's, with some good seed money on each, and having to play the AH a lot to come close.

Krumgork
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Playing WoW "Professionally" in this way would likely end up with you being banned. LoL

Hence the preface, "all legalities aside." The debate is whether or not it's possible.

Nez
04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Who cares if its possible, its against the ToS. Surely you wouldnt want to do anything to violate that now would you?

Aldragoriad
04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I believe the term is mental exercise Nez. Personally I think the logistics would be terrible, for a pretty bad ROI.

Argamasilla
04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
I doubt that it would be 'physically' possible to produce 1300g/hr with a single account, on a single server.

It may be possible if you were to dual-box (2) toons, on about 10 servers, simultaneously, one out bot gathering while another automatically played the AH.

Course, legality aside...

In reality, you would have to factor in getting accounts shut down, and keeping 1 step ahead of Blizzard. Not to mention having additional accounts for transferring and holding gold to min. loss during account shut downs.

Figure $300-330 per month in account fees, plus the initial cost of the 4-5 high performance machines you would need, and the multiple DSL lines (for both bandwidth and redundancy, offline time = no money), and you looking at $500 per month recurring and $10,000 in hardware (assuming std 3 yr payback) an addition $275/mo, or $750 'nut' just to break even.

Leaving you with $1250, which you may or may not have to pay tax on, but assuming that you eventually pull it out of paypal and spend it somewhere, the Tax man will eventually find you.. if you try to be legit, you don't pay tax on the whole $2000 as you can write off the overhead, $250/mo in tax

$1000 per month for 300 hours of mind numbing, repetitive work for a take home pay of $3.33 per hour.

Krumgork
04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Alright, I had to do my own calculations and I think it's safe to say earning 400,000g/mo. in WoW is nigh impossible without some serious issues with bot farming & breaking serioius ToS - at least with only 10 hours/day.

Now! If you could play more…

400,000g is roughly 13,333g each day. Divided by the number of hours possible to play (assuming 4 hours/night to sleep) that would be about 650g/hr. That's totally doable so long as you're a prot pally farming Stratholme.

In fact, I know of four guys who could actually pull this off…

South Park - World Of Warcraft [Full Episode] (http://videoutopia.smartvideochannel.com/media/playvideo.aspx?cid=28D323DD11C14FDB9BDCF21BC876A1F 1&f=flash7&v=mostviewed)

Argamasilla
04-13-2009, 03:57 PM
Remember that you have to assume only vendor sales and mob silver, as you will quickly saturate any single AH market with materials in a few days.

If you were going to run an experiment, it would have to be at the guild sized level, and of course not for eventual gold sales, but just to see how much gold you could amass in a 72 hour period.

A guild of 20 (or more) participants, playing on a long weekend, how much gold could they amass?

The short term run of this challenge means that you can count on AH sales being strong, likely for the whole weekend period (Its just not sustainable as a valid means of supporting 13k/day over 30 days).

19 players in the field, 1 player running the AH.

To jump off, you could have them each run strat a couple times back/back (solo of course) to get the AH player a starting stake.

At that point, your strongest instance runners could continue to make speed runs while others started gathering, adjusting item intake in accordance with direction from the AH player; herbs, metal, leather.

I would be excited to see how much a group like this could produce!

*For max. effect, I would start this on the Tuesday of the 3.1 release*

Risso
04-14-2009, 02:05 AM
Remember that you have to assume only vendor sales and mob silver, as you will quickly saturate any single AH market with materials in a few days.

If you were going to run an experiment, it would have to be at the guild sized level, and of course not for eventual gold sales, but just to see how much gold you could amass in a 72 hour period.

A guild of 20 (or more) participants, playing on a long weekend, how much gold could they amass?

The short term run of this challenge means that you can count on AH sales being strong, likely for the whole weekend period (Its just not sustainable as a valid means of supporting 13k/day over 30 days).

19 players in the field, 1 player running the AH.

To jump off, you could have them each run strat a couple times back/back (solo of course) to get the AH player a starting stake.

At that point, your strongest instance runners could continue to make speed runs while others started gathering, adjusting item intake in accordance with direction from the AH player; herbs, metal, leather.

I would be excited to see how much a group like this could produce!

*For max. effect, I would start this on the Tuesday of the 3.1 release*

I have been in guilds that ran "activities" just to go out and have fun. The standard 'naked' runs where you strip to nothing but a weapon and the raid sees how far it can go. You are allowed to put on anything the raid kills... I haven't done that at 80 but at level 70 we got amazingly far.

I mention this because we donated all the gold gathered to the guild bank... and we generated ridiculous amounts of gold just by vendoring and AH sales. This led to a group of us fetting the bright idea of dedicating a day to a needy player - our 5-man "gold" team could grind out enough for an epic flying mount in a day (granted the time for stuff to SELL on the AH was often more than a day).

So - a 20 man... hmm, the mind boggles.

quinten
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM
It would depend a lot on the server. I have seen some servers where everyone is trying to own the auction house and other servers where many of it's possible revenue streams are open. I am not talking about the simple "place x stacks of y material for z gold" or even the "buy below x and sell above y" principle but running raw materials through several lucrative tradeskill recipes.

The amount you can farm off the auction house would greatly influence your ability to gather the 400k a month. As to it's possibility, I seem to recall several pvpers in BC making somewhere close to this selling arena ratings/titles/points before there was a clamp down.

CKaz
04-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Sorry I'm taking it a little to the side here - we talking old Strat or Culling of Strat?
[I need to make some money on a couple tanks for dual spec and epic flight - 78 Warr, 77 Pal]

Krumgork
04-14-2009, 01:45 PM
The videos I see are of old Strat. Though, Hobbs now farms CoS in his latest video.