PDA

View Full Version : How far can this gear take me?

ragnarocc
04-11-2009, 12:48 AM
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Hyjal&n=Rafearis)

This is kind of a two part question. I know my spec/glyph is... different, but it makes tanking heroics easy mode and will be changed to a 15/5/51 derivitive. My first question, is how far can I push tanking without putting "undue stress" on the healers. Secondly, I see a lot of tanks just hitting 540 def and then stacking sta/exp, though a lot of guides saying all you need is 21k hps for starting Naxx. With avoidance DR, is stacking def or dodge/agi worth it over sta? Also, what would be a good direction to go with stats/gear? Being as my guild doesn't do any steady raiding, I pug what I can and am working on the an trinket, up sword, and vh pants.

Hallelujah
04-11-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm a fan of high stam. Especially for Uldaur -- you want to have a solid cushion of HP for your healers to react. The only reason to consider stacking +def is to build more avoidance, but you're usually better off stacking pure dodge/parry/block. I've not seen any successful def stacking tanks, but that's not to say they don't exist.

21k hp for starting Naxx? Maybe in optimal conditions with an amazing healer and a solid MT you could get by, but it wouldn't be a breeze.

With your current gear you could probably start 10 man naxx, while you're in there, talk to your healers and see what they have to say.
Just say: "How am I doing?"
You'll get one of 4 responses:
1) "You're dropping in big chunks." -means you need more hp.
2) "You're consistently losing more than I can heal." -means you need more avoidance.
3) "You're not holding aggro well enough" -means you need more hit/exp.
4) "You're doing fine." -means keep doing what you're doing.

Sray
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
When I just looked, he has 26861hp unbuffed which is... very good.

I'm currently just a tad ahead of you, just brought Bracers of Dalaran's Parapet or w.e and it gave me a considerable boost in HP (600HP?) and only 2pts lost in Defense (went from 543 to 541)

I don't think the bracers show yet, but this is me currently.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Muradin&n=Canie)

My unbuffed HP is around 27674, with the new bracers.. my new one's aren't showing yet :rolleyes:
My new spec is what I'd like for you to comment on. I don't want to hijack this thread but I don't think my question suffices a brand new thread for an easy answer.

squats
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
stacking defense IS better than stacking pure avoidance gems on your gear. it increases the chance for a mob to miss you, and increases all of your avoidances, and block, by a amount that is less harsh on DR. i wouldn't stack defense gems, you will naturally get it from gear after 540, and this is good. anything over 560 is a bit excessive unless your making a block set.

your fine to do 10 man nax with this gear, i would even take you as an off tank for most of 25 nax, just not construct quarter.