PDA

View Full Version : Obtrusive Advertising

Leytur
04-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Not to be a jerk or anything (usually when people say that, it's because they're going to be a jerk), but why do we still have private donor forums when the advertisement on tankspot is becoming more and more obtrusive? I understood the donor program when there was minimal advertising (I can't recall if there was ever none, back in the day coulda been though). But with the amount of advertising eating up TS real estate, the idea of members being asked for money is a bit absurd.

This is just one users opinion and does not in any way mean I appreciate any less the community that has developed here.

orcstar
04-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I really don't like the advertisements. Being a donor to get rid of the is enough for me.

Ciderhelm
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Not to be a jerk or anything (usually when people say that, it's because they're going to be a jerk), but why do we still have private donor forums when the advertisement on tankspot is becoming more and more obtrusive? I understood the donor program when there was minimal advertising (I can't recall if there was ever none, back in the day coulda been though). But with the amount of advertising eating up TS real estate, the idea of members being asked for money is a bit absurd.

This is just one users opinion and does not in any way mean I appreciate any less the community that has developed here.

Donations are needed to cover our server and license costs. I've outlined dollar amounts for nearly everything we're running publicly. You're also welcome to do some google searching to check on how much the software, domains, and licenses cost.
Advertising does not pay as well as you assume. Advertising does not cover our month-to-month operating costs.
We have a contract for advertisements that covers one banner ad in the top of the page on forum pages and two advertisements on our frontpage. This contract is active until December and may very well be renewed.
As I've already announced, I'm working on a template which will prevent drop-down advertisements from affecting forum navigation and login. Expect it soon.
If you hate ads, download an ad-blocker.

I work more than 40 hours a week on this site on average, often far more than that. We bend over backwards to make sure there are zero WoW-related guides, articles, or movies that are not fully accessible to unregistered users. We also have gone out of our way to make sure that zero gold selling, account trading, or paid guide advertisements on our site, even though they pay many times what we show. If my goal is easy money, I'm doing pretty much everything wrong to get it.

Donors are given benefits above and beyond what non-donors on this site get. These are privileges that I put forward because I want to provide incentive to people making donations. At the end of the day, I need this site to generate income because I care about it continuing to not only survive but expand, as we've done time and time again. At the end of every week when I look at the bottom line, I'm reminded that I have to be a salesman in addition to a guide author, movie producer, and site administrator. That's the burden I picked up when we moved to dedicated servers last October. I'm not going to feel ashamed of asking people for donations for a site that is provided entirely for free to them without the money.

If you're concerned about advertisements, you'd be best served by leaving the site.

Dubzil
04-10-2009, 08:24 AM

If you were a donor you wouldn't be asking this question! That's a good reason to have private donor forums.

Norik
04-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I work more than 40 hours a week on this site on average, often far more than that. We bend over backwards to make sure there are zero WoW-related guides, articles, or movies that are not fully accessible to unregistered users. We also have gone out of our way to make sure that zero gold selling, account trading, or paid guide advertisements on our site, even though they pay many times what we show. If my goal is easy money, I'm doing pretty much everything wrong to get it.

Thats the only reason I started donating.

Tatt
04-10-2009, 09:19 AM
This site has less advertising that any public Wow site I have ever looked at. Keep up the good work Cider.

Nez
04-10-2009, 09:42 AM
If your using FireFox the addon "FlashBlock" will block all flash adds, everywhere. And give you the option to start them by clocking on a "play" button if you do want to see it.

Aaesop
04-10-2009, 01:47 PM
There's a few things to consider, along with what Cider and the rest have mentioned...

1) This isn't a commercial site whatsoever, you have free access to everything guilds/tanks need or want in terms of amazing information.

2) It's a community, and driven by community, in essence if you want to think of it this way, making a donation and contributing to discussions etc, kinda gives you a feeling that this site is partly yours just like everyone else that provides to this site. (I swear I'm gonna donate to the site Cider, it's tough times in Detroit tho!)

3) For being a source of free and VERY reputable information website, it is very much so well designed, this is on par with what you'd get from a site demanding you pay to have access to information.

4) The ads? well they're not that obtrusive right now I just have the one up top about "Combat Arms" an online fps, shows a "nutshot", that actually gave me a chuckle.

5) As was mentioned beforehand, 40+ hours a week being poured into this place by one person alone, he's not getting paid for it!

Not here to bash you but do consider what all you have at your disposal for free. You have some of the greatest minds in tanking here giving out information that leads to really good results!

Vassilly
04-10-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't really mind the advertisement being there. What I do mind is that I have to X it out to see the site. If they did not expand automatically It would be much less bothersome. Forgive me for saying this but I am scared to click on any sort of advertisement even to minimize it. This being a wow site with decent amount of traffic makes it an ideal target for hackers. They even got gold selling adds up on the official forums so security is always priority one with me.

squats
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
I don't really mind the advertisement being there. What I do mind is that I have to X it out to see the site. If they did not expand automatically It would be much less bothersome. Forgive me for saying this but I am scared to click on any sort of advertisement even to minimize it. This being a wow site with decent amount of traffic makes it an ideal target for hackers. They even got gold selling adds up on the official forums so security is always priority one with me.
i dont think the adds are supposed to be pop ups

bludwork
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't mind ads but yea it was blocking content, but hey it's free so can't complain. With IE8 you can make it so flash is disabled by default until you enable it on a specific website. Ads still show up but without the flash annoyance, also made the front page load faster without the flash utube video links.

Crucious
04-11-2009, 06:04 AM
The site is great. I’ve gotten a ton of useful information from here. The adds were fine for a while there, but now with the dropdown add that forces you to click it off, it's a bit much. I understand that a site like this requires $$$ to keep it going. In all honesty I have stopped coming nearly as much as I did solely because of that annoying drop down. And for me to feel like in order to get rid of it all i have to do is give you $$$, well that stinks. I assume that I am not the only one that is a tad tweaked about this.

I guess a question from me is (and I don’t expect an answer) who makes up your tankspot population more? Is it your donors or your everyday Joe that comes here? I suspect it's the everyday Joe. Without them you just have a webpage that very few people view. Believe me I know your website isn’t even close to having that issue, but "decline of organizations" always starts somewhere.

My solution: Put adds anywhere you like on your website. Just don't make them so invasive that they alter the way your viewers navigate through your informative website.

My 2c.

Ciderhelm
04-11-2009, 06:19 AM
The site is great. Iíve gotten a ton of useful information from here. The adds were fine for a while there, but now with the dropdown add that forces you to click it off, it's a bit much. I understand that a site like this requires $$$ to keep it going. In all honesty I have stopped coming nearly as much as I did solely because of that annoying drop down. And for me to feel like in order to get rid of it all i have to do is give you $$$, well that stinks. I assume that I am not the only one that is a tad tweaked about this.

I guess a question from me is (and I donít expect an answer) who makes up your tankspot population more? Is it your donors or your everyday Joe that comes here? I suspect it's the everyday Joe. Without them you just have a webpage that very few people view. Believe me I know your website isnít even close to having that issue, but "decline of organizations" always starts somewhere.

My solution: Put adds anywhere you like on your website. Just don't make them so invasive that they alter the way your viewers navigate through your informative website.

My 2c.
I appreciate your concerns, but you'd get a lot out of reading the other posts in this thread before offering your 2 cents. ;)

The advertisements with drop-downs is a very serious issue. It will be fixed in the very near future. The skin is being redesigned so drop-down ads don't block our site navigation.

That doesn't mean they'll disappear. It means they'll stop getting in the way of anything you were trying to access.

Crucious
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh dont worry. :) I read them. But like anyone else, I was tossing out my 2c's. "The squeeky wheel gets the oil."

orcstar
04-11-2009, 03:11 PM
One thing about the Internet is that actually if a web page gets successful it hurts the owner of the site financially. While every "average Joe" can put up a web page for almost no cost, when the visitors start coming in he finds out, that a virtual server shared with other webpages is no option and you need your own dedicated server which is an investment but more importantly, that gigabytes to terabytes of traffic cost lots and lots of $$.

That's why a lot of successful sites just stop or go underground. They can't handle the scaling of keeping up a good page. To much people it's like everything is free on the internet but it's not.

Leytur
04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
If you're concerned about advertisements, you'd be best served by leaving the site.

You response was great, til this point. Get a thicker skin, IMO.

squats
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
You response was great, til this point. Get a thicker skin, IMO.
thems fightin words.

Mhoram
04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
thems fightin words.

Why? I don't think people are as concerned about the ads as they are about the fact that the ads tend to block the content. It's a legitimate beef, and there have been problems with ads on websites doing harm before. Telling someone to leave the web page they're visiting, because they're concerned about what the web page they're visiting might be doing, doesn't solve anything.

And if people are really that concerned with the ads? Firefox, NoScript, AdBlock. Done.

squats
04-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Why? I don't think people are as concerned about the ads as they are about the fact that the ads tend to block the content. It's a legitimate beef, and there have been problems with ads on websites doing harm before. Telling someone to leave the web page they're visiting, because they're concerned about what the web page they're visiting might be doing, doesn't solve anything.

And if people are really that concerned with the ads? Firefox, NoScript, AdBlock. Done.
iv never had an add block the site for me.. then.. im a donor. so idk. but seriously.. if you have an issue with some silly advertisements.. click the X and move on. its not hard. and all of the adds are legit here, or cider wouldnt have them, so it ok.

Ciderhelm
04-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Telling someone to leave the web page they're visiting, because they're concerned about what the web page they're visiting might be doing, doesn't solve anything.
Actually, it does.

Leytur's concern was not with potential technical problems or malicious uses of advertisements. That's a concern that some people have and while I may not always agree, I can see where they're coming from. I do try to keep the site as clean and accessible as possible for everyone, not just people who can't see ads.

Leytur's concern was specifically with how we generate revenue on this website. Though it was titled as an advertising post, he spent his post criticizing our Donor system. This fits pretty squarely in line with his past criticisms of the site. His last argument was that we have no right to moderate and delete trashy posts because censorship is evil.

So, yes, you're correct that telling him he should leave the site wouldn't be helpful if he was concerned about malicious advertisements or anything of that technical nature. However, that wasn't the case here. This is an ideological rant.