PDA

View Full Version : Shoutbox Disabled

Ciderhelm
04-08-2009, 08:04 AM
The chat has been disabled sitewide. Satrina spotted an attempt by a user to exploit the shoutbox. There has been no recent security update for this piece of software so it will remain offline until there is one.

(Please feel free to spam up the off-topic forums)

Edit by Satrina: I put a more in-depth thing in the general forum: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/48266-malware-alert-shoutbox-temporarily-disabled.html

Turelliax
04-08-2009, 08:10 AM
:O

Volador
04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
There's always one that has to ruin it for everyone.

Nez
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Nice Catch Satrina!!

Exploiters deserve to stand waist deep in flaming monkey poo for all eternity.

Eera
04-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I of course message Cider about this 1 minute AFTER he posts this :p
Oh well my question will get thrown into one of the forums no doubt.

hbombs
04-08-2009, 08:19 AM
bah!

klor
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
can we please lynch said person?

AxLxExX
04-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Who did it?

Kaad
04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Who did it?
Now it just wouldn't be fair to throw someone to the dogs like that...

Tatt
04-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Nez's comment reminds me of an old joke....

A very bad man dies and goes to hell, where he is met by a small devil who politely informs him that he will have to choose 1 of 3 rooms that he must spend eternity in. He only gets one chance to choose, and cannot ever change his decision. The devil walks him thru the first room, which has a floor composed of steel spikes. Everyone in this room is upside down, with their heads on these spikes.....obviously in quite a bit of pain. The second room is similar, with the exception that instead of spikes their is acid coating the floor, which again for all those people being forced to stand on their heads is quite painful. The recently condemned man starts to get very nervous, not seeing any good choice to make. They proceed to the third room, where everyone is standing on their feet, drinking coffee, buried chest high in the most noxious and vile smelling excrement humanly imaginable. Despite the smell, the condemned man sees what he thinks is an opportunity to escape the pain and suffering of the previous two rooms, and immediately chooses the third room as his home for eternity. He is handed a cup of coffee and dumped unceremoniously in the vat of offal. He asks the gentleman standing next to him if they do nothing but stand and drink coffee all day....the gentelman replies "No, this is our once a year coffee break....in 2 minutes we all have to go back on our heads...."

:)

Dubzil
04-08-2009, 08:30 AM
wtb IRC

Volador
04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
WTB: Security updates for the Shoutbox. I miss it so much! *crai*

Genova
04-08-2009, 08:35 AM
In other news I left my computer unlocked at work last night and came in this morning to find my background had been changed to Hello Kitty Island Adventure screenshot.

Yay

AxLxExX
04-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I guess I'll have to go back to, you know, playing the game.

*sigh*

solocommand
04-08-2009, 08:39 AM
wtb IRC

Agree. I'd run one on my site, but its far too small scale. Perhaps Cider will look into it :D

In other news I left my computer unlocked at work last night and came in this morning to find my background had been changed to Hello Kitty Island Adventure screenshot.

Yay

Been there...

Ciderhelm
04-08-2009, 08:46 AM
I'll look into IRC, sure.

veneretio
04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Ya, I've seen more and more talk of IRC embedded effectively in sites... could be a cool solution.

Temig
04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Talk about potential security holes though =P

Kazeyonoma
04-08-2009, 09:30 AM
For now I've created a channel in EsperNet #Tankspot feel free to join us in your regular chit chat or just come and ask a question!

Use this if you don't have IRC clients or need to bypass a work firewall:
Mibbit.com Webchat client (http://www.mibbit.com/chat/)

Satrina
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I put a more in-depth thing in the general forum: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/48266-malware-alert-shoutbox-temporarily-disabled.html

As for a security update for shoutbox, this is some guy trolling for people who don't update (of which there are lots on the internets). I'm not sure how the exploit got embedded in the shoutbox, but I will look at it when I get some time. Honestly, the best defence against this sort of thing is to simply update your computer, have antivirus, and run antispyware regularly.

solocommand
04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Talk about potential security holes though =P

From my understanding the IRC protocol is much more secure now-adays than in the past. Disabling DCC server site takes care of most if not all of the irc-based exploits as far as I know. I do remember the good old days though...haha

Squeegiemama
04-10-2009, 12:23 AM
For now I've created a channel in EsperNet #Tankspot feel free to join us in your regular chit chat or just come and ask a question!

Not sure if I'm in the right place but I'm all alone in the channel :confused: