PDA

View Full Version : Casual guild problems

Blackwolfe
04-06-2009, 09:52 AM
First, a little background:

I am in a guild made up of Real Life friends. I am the only Raid Leader for our very casual guild. We didn't raid anything past Kara as a guild in BC. We have only recently started getting into Naxx as a guild. I have many online friends in other guilds that let me fill in on their runs as needed, so I have seen the content.

Now, the problem:

I have gotten the people in my guild bitten by the raiding bug. Whereas in BC we had trouble getting even 10 people interested in raiding, now I have 15-18 people who sign up for raids. Obviously we don't have enough to run 25s (we only have three geared lvl 80 healers), but I have to sit 5-8 people every raid. I am trying to keep it fair in that everyone gets a chance to go but, inevitably, people are starting to get disgruntled about the fact that they don't get to go. Compound this with the fact that sometimes people got 3-4 weeks without getting any kind of upgrade because whenever they are there, gear doesn't drop that they can use.

We are all here to have fun playing the game, but it is becoming less fun for me as it is very hard for me to tell someone that they can't go on the raid because it is not their turn.

Do any tankspotters have any good suggestions to help me out here?

Squirrelnut
04-06-2009, 09:57 AM
25 man's are more fun then 10 mans, they drop better gear and they would resolve your issue. I vote recruit for the exact group composition that you need (additional healers etc) and then everyone is happy.

All else fails you could have 18 guildies and pug the remaining 7 people to get 25. Additional benefit from this would be that you would get people geared from 25mans to allow you guys to actually venture into Ulduar when 3.1 comes out without getting mauled :)

25's aren't very hard so even with new recruits/pugs you should be fine if you simply take the time to state the strat over vent before each fight to limit the fails.

Fayre
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
I agree with Squirrelnut. You won't find it that much harder making progress through the 25 mans. Tell your guildies that you want to try get up to 25s, that there'll probably be a few weeks of chaos and some 'bad' PUG help, but that you're keen on giving everyone a chance to raid and you want their help in recruiting and finding the gaps you need to make a 25 man raid each week.

And don't forget that its entirely possible even to underman the easier parts of Naxx25. If you can do Spider and Plague wings on the 10 man version, you can do them on the 25 man version with 20-22 people no problem, so don't 'give up' if you don't get textbook raid composition.

Argamasilla
04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
One of our members gave us the best advice possible about raiding, "Just pug the holes, its easy, just gear check with wow-heros and say yes or no."

We had so much trouble even getting a 10 man going until that advice, just pug. Its very easy to do with Naxx, and with guilds going into progression content soon, there will be lots of naxx geared people sitting out on progression nights looking for things to do (and more guilds will open up players to pugging out to naxx-25).

A Raid Leader isn't just someone that knows the fights, they also know how to put a raid together, part of that is finding people outside of your guild.

Don't worry about loot going to pugs, the most important thing you can do is to clear content, and do it repeatedly (even if you wipe some and its not 'farm mode').

You will find that more and more guildies will want to go, pugging will become easier as you find players that fit your group and go each week, but won't leave their guild of RL friends that don't raid. Your 'pool' of resources isn't limited to your guild, there is NO solution on how to let 18 people run 10 man raids without sitting out... don't kill yourself over it, the math doesn't work.

Blackwolfe
04-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. They really have been helpful (and in some cases, a slap in the face to wake up and realize what I should have already known :D).