View Full Version : Tankadin seeks advise about gear/spec n Hero Raid
04-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Ok I'm a newb to forums, lol. Suggestions about my gear/talent tree be it pro/con would be very helpful. I'm trying to tune for the 10 & 25 man raids. My talent tree I did by researching ur forums and put together what I thought would work for me. Here is the link to my armory page, The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadow+Council&n=Zephryus)
Also could someone direct me on where to find advise on the currant Spell rotation.
Thanks in advance to all of u!!
04-06-2009, 01:32 AM
The tanking spell rotation is a 96969 (the cooldown of your spells) which are the following,
6 sec CD: Shield of Righteousness and Hammer of the Righteous.
9 sec CD: Holy Shield, Consecration, and Judgement.
I'll leave it to you to figure out the rotation.
Gear wise, get the defense trinket out of regular HoL or the epic trinket off of Thaddius (10 man). That way, you can free up some of the gems you have for defense and put it in for stam. Also, get the Tanking Alchemist Trinket. Why you're using that crit/attack power one is above me.
Additionally, the way you gem is...different. Rule of thumb (for me) for gemming is: Def (before I hit the Defense minimum), Stam, then finally Dodge/Hit. Meaning, if it's blue, go Stam, if it's yellow, go Def (if you're at the minimum, go stam if the socket bonus is bad. If not, go def+stam), if it's red, go with dodge, dodge+stam, or stam if the socket bonus is bad.
YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST BE AT THE MINIMUM IF YOU WANT TO TANK IN RAIDS.
If you fill up all of your yellow sockets with def gems and you still don't hit the minimum, cover the blues with def+stam gems. If you're still missing it, then start covering the reds with def+dodge gems.
04-06-2009, 07:02 AM
- Switch the Neruhide for either peaceful resolutions (honored with wyrmrest) or cloak of the enemy (h nexus). Will free up some defense so you can gem a bit more for stam.
- I'd go with the stam/armor meta gem, though the defense/block value is good for a block set.
- As suggested above switch gems to be either stam, dodge/stam, or def/stam
- Get all of the following trinkets: seal of the panetheon (reg HoL), essence of gossamer (h an), laventhor's talisman (h VH)
- Get one of the tanking rings (good ones in almost every heroic) to replace the impact band.
- +40 stam to bracers
You'll have to manage the transition to the above to stay above the defense minimum, do just be careful of that.
04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the advise. I have followed as much of it as possible for now as you can see from here. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadow+Council&n=Zephryus)
I picked up this ring yesterday also, Signet of the Accord - Item - World of Warcraft (http://ptr.wowhead.com/?item=40426#dropped-by)
I haven't had the time to equip it yet but will do so today sometime.
I noticed that after making these changes that by ability to build AGRO has slowed down, in other words I don't seem to get as much as quickly as before in the lower amounts (say below25k) is there some reason why that I'm not aware of?
Thanks again for the help
04-07-2009, 07:20 AM
The six second abilities are the ones that generate the most threat. If you're not front loading those two, it may seem like your burst is less. In the long run, 969 will produce better threat. Someone made a nice video to show how it's done. Many don't get that it not a repetitive sequence until you get through about four cycles, only then does the sequence repeat itself.
YouTube - Protection Paladin TPS / DPS Attack Rotation
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
What's your openning move before you start the rotation? Are you doing:
- Frisbee (avenging shield)
- Shield of Righteousness?
or are you doing something like:
- Hammer of the Righteous
You can enter the rotation at almost any point (depending on how you burn the GCD's as the mobs walk towards you and/or you them). If you are doing multi-mob stuff, frisbee+cons+hammer (i'm ignoring holy shield here because I usually cast it in the 'free' gcd before the mobs get to me) will give you better threat. For single target, it'll be a shield bash. For initial threat, the only thing to keep in mind is that a shield of righteousness right after a judgement will do more damage/threat because of the libram. Therefore, you should always do the first shield of righteousness right after a judgement if you want max initial single target threat.
04-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Okay, looks like you're making progress, couple of comments though:
1. You are WELL over the def minimum. If you're the type that likes avoidance over EH, then stick with what you have. Otherwise, start slapping some stam gems into the blues sockets or even some def+stam gems into the yellow sockets. You could even change your meta to be the +32 stam and +2% armor/-2% spell damage taken.
2. In regards to what you said, it's natural for your threat input to drop (though slightly) when you make the gear shift from "dps" gear to tanking gear. In said "dps" gear, you'll have a bit more attack power, hit, crit, etc. that'll help you with your threat. However, in tanking gear, you'll lose that attack power, hit, crit, etc. but instead you'll gain the ability to survive copious amounts of damage and also do some damage/generate threat.
The advise given above (espeically that youtube video) should help you generate some initial threat and continure that threat. As they say, practice makes perfect.
P.S. Change that coin trinket. Please. It's making me very sad.
04-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the input peeps, sorry for the delay in responding as im in the middle of the gulf of mexico ATM and cant get in game to complete the modifications already sujested!!
Any sujestions on what is best to replace "that coin" trinket with??
the utube vid was very helpfull.
in responce to Headknoker>> my rotation goes something like this most of the time >>
or are you doing something like:
- Hammer of the Righteous
this isnt always the case as u well know but i believe most of the time!
Thanks again guys and i will update my gear as soon as i get back home next week!!