PDA

View Full Version : Too many raiders at different progression levels

Wyleai
04-04-2009, 12:28 PM
We've ended up in a sticky situation - With very good recruitment of late, we now have too many people wanting and ready to raid, but at very different ranges in progression.

The cookies have always been and always be a casual guild first and foremost, but now we also have a raider 'branch' of the guild, and managing them is a rather different challenge.

We have some people just gearing into Naxx entry, some midway through it, and a few who are beyond it.

We were looking to split our raiders into two 10-man teams, but we've been having some stability issues with our healing core (people signing up for raids and then not showing up - we manage to field enough for one group, but until we solve that stability problem, two is going to be pushing it, and our tanks and DPS are getting edgy at our healers).

The above said... assuming we get that issue solved, and we're close to it, we need to handle the progression split.

How can I keep the more progressed members happy, and yet still ensure the new to raiding members get time in raids and a chance at progression as well. Splitting sounds ideal, but how do I keep it from ending up with a guild with two groups that get further and further apart over time.

Especially if we transition into 25-mans, we'll need to be able to someday merge those groups.

And of course, keeping the casual mood of the guild intact through all of this is another concern... :)

squats
04-04-2009, 12:30 PM
its time to pug. make sure that when you do run 2 10 man groups you dont gimp one group. that just causes problems. if one group get ahead of another, switch people out to keep them around the same on progression. if one group gets to far ahead it will cause friction between the two and your guild will run into issues.

TiKrazeeeNeg
04-04-2009, 12:50 PM
The guild I am in is running into the same issues. Most of our tanks and a couple healers aren't going to find too many more upgrades in the 10man content, but a vast majority of our dps is still woefully under geared.

We've also split into 2 groups, and this being our first week, found out quickly that it's pretty rough with 2 priests and a dps Shammy tryin to back em up on Maexxna.

squats
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
if your healers and tanks are geared to do 25 man nax, you can go ahead and do spider, dk, or plague wings. they arnt really hard at all.

Wyleai
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
To everyone who's posted so far, thank you.

We're wracking our brains among the officers of my guild trying to get a solution in place quickly.

IceHaus151
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
You need a solution and fast... Our guild just had this happen... and I am not in that guild anymore, and neither is the 30+ 80s that were there... There was a core group of 12-15 people who got to 80 quickly and did the heroics to get the epics and the rep rewards and that group started doing Naxx.. We were casual too, not progressing very fast at all... Then a bunch of other people turned 80 and wanted to jump into Naxx right then too... What did we do? We split the into 2 10 man groups and the best players got split between the groups.. What happened was like starting over. The geared experienced players started having to progress through the same content again and instead of making headway, they regressed. This led to many unhappy people who have been at Naxx for a long time and the good people started leaving the guild until eventually it crumbled and everyone left. Some people started their own guild and got some of the better raiders back, but I found another guild progressing nicely through 25 man content so I havent even joined with them yet. I want to, but I dont want to start all over again, having to explain the fights and spend time wiping. So good luck, I hope what happened to us doesnt happen to you.

Fayre
04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Try and focus the whole guild's attention on recruiting to fill those healer spots. You have to make it clear to people that you're aware of the issue and working on it, and that you'd appreciate them keeping an eye out for decent healers who can help you build towards that goal. You'd be surprised how many people come out of the woodwork.

kolben
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
We've ended up in a sticky situation - With very good recruitment of late, we now have too many people wanting and ready to raid, but at very different ranges in progression.

The cookies have always been and always be a casual guild first and foremost, but now we also have a raider 'branch' of the guild, and managing them is a rather different challenge.

We have some people just gearing into Naxx entry, some midway through it, and a few who are beyond it.

We were looking to split our raiders into two 10-man teams, but we've been having some stability issues with our healing core (people signing up for raids and then not showing up - we manage to field enough for one group, but until we solve that stability problem, two is going to be pushing it, and our tanks and DPS are getting edgy at our healers).

The above said... assuming we get that issue solved, and we're close to it, we need to handle the progression split.

How can I keep the more progressed members happy, and yet still ensure the new to raiding members get time in raids and a chance at progression as well. Splitting sounds ideal, but how do I keep it from ending up with a guild with two groups that get further and further apart over time.

Especially if we transition into 25-mans, we'll need to be able to someday merge those groups.

And of course, keeping the casual mood of the guild intact through all of this is another concern... :)

What I read here is a lack of competition for spots. Healers kind of get a pass because they are healers, and that shouldn't happen. If you have the numbers for 25 mans, I'd just move straight to that. In all honesty, you don't need to wait for them. If 25man raiding is on the horizon for your guild, you might as well get started and establish a pace/times/etc and get going.

Argamasilla
04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
It takes anywhere from 35 to 50 unique players to be a 25 man raiding guild. Have a fixed raid time, and keep it consistent from week to week so that players can plan around it; "Oh, I have to be home by 8 pm for a raid on Tuesday, but we can go out Wed night since we don't raid again until Fri."

If you are short on healers at raid time, start checking the friends list, spamming trade and put your self in LFM. 18 people should not be waiting on 2-3 people for a raid. Also, when you save a pug to your raid, and they do a good job, invite them back the next night, even if that means that a guild healer has to sit out.