PDA

View Full Version : Help with Feral tanking for Sarth 3D

Hoodlum
04-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a moonkin who was asked by my guild if I'd consider spec'ing feral for Sartharion + 3 Drakes. I have no problem with this whatsoever, and am quite excited about the opportunity, however I honestly have no clue about the best gear for that fight, aswell as the optimal spec & enchants.

I'd appreciate some links & help with this, and any comments and tips are welcomed.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Stearns
04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Good luck! Hardest MT fight in the game to learn as a tank from my experience over the last 1 1/2 years. Though these days he's a farm boss again.

My main comment is that if you want to MT the hardest encounter in the game, to spend a chunck of time practicing how to tank in less challenging encounters, like non-heroic 5 mans. Unless you've tanked a lot before. Imagine you played fury for a long time, and your guild asked you to respec prot for your progression illidan kill. How would you feel, and what would you do to be prepared? (lol)

For what its worth, our strat is that I use 4p frost resist gear, with +24/41 stam gems everywhere. Every other gear piece is BIS atm. I use barkskin for the first breath, a hand of sacrifice for the 2nd, and surivical instincts for the third. We rarely need to deal with 4 breaths unless its 10man with a particularly bad group.

Darksend
04-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Hardest MT fight? I wont argue that the encounter is the hardest encounter in wow right now, but not for the main tank. The person MTing sarth has the easiest job in that entire encounter

Walls are easy to dodge, you do not have to worry about threat, you more or less stand there doing nothing

you need to know 2 things as the main tank, do you have enough HP to survive a breath and when to use/call for cooldowns

Stearns
04-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Hehehehehe yeah well I must be a total noob, and it sure as hell does feel a super easy snooze fest nowadays.

Yeah but you fail to take account of the thrill of MTing the hardest encounter in the game, the nerves, and the anxiety you feel when learning the fight. The mistakes you make due to panic. The mental effort it takes to consider cast bars, void zones, fire walls, your health & your healer all at the same time. When you've been playing a dps role for a long time too?

So it took me 3 hours to get over all that. I've never required a solid 3 hours of pure wiping for any tanking role in order to feel confident in my own abilities to tank in that role without screwing up. Its always been the hunters, or the locks, or the whoever letting down the attempt. Never the MT/OTs.

Sure you can say 3 hours is a terribly long time, and I should have been able to go in there - along with the rest of my perfect guild - and one-shot him in 10man (which is where I learned the fight) after reading a couple of strats from the venerable peeps at stratfu.

Well it took me 3 hours and 35 wipes instead to feel confident. It wasnt always my fault, but it sure as well was on 7 of those attempts. And I'm a tank by profession haha. That, to me, is a really long time to learn a tanking role. Maygos, KT, even Prince, High King, Lynx boss in ZA... pretty much learned them all the very first time.

Kyultu
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Unless you've got a salty feral set in the closet I would suggest going the frost and fire resist route. A set mostly consists of Fire Protection greens and crafted frost resist gear. If you can get enough stam out of the rest of your gear then you can survive the breathes with CDs used only if you're not topped off. However, Sarth's melee becomes increasingly difficult to handle and you will want to tank swap with the drake tank once Vesperon is dead. The pieces I would suggest you go with, assuming you are starting from scratch is:

Polar Vest
+18 Stam (Heavy Borean Armor Kit)
+24 Stam
+24 Stam
+24 Stam

Polar Cord
+24 Stam
+24 Stam
+24 Stam

Polar Boots
+22 Stam (Enchant)
+24 Stam
+24 Stam

Durable Nerubhide Cape
+20 Fire Resist

Essence of Gossamer or Figurine - Ruby Hare (W/ all Stam gems.)

Figurine - Monarch Crab (I saw you were a JC)
+24 Stam
+41 Stam

Idol of Terror or Idol of the Plainswalker

Those are the quick and easy decisions, after that you need to mix in Fire resist pieces until you get to either the 277 or 415 Fire Resist plateaus (remember you get 130 from Pally aura and 50 from Lesser Flask of Resistance) because at those points you guarantee a 30% or 40% resist respectively. I don't know what you have in terms off offspec feral gear or whats on your AH, so the rest is up to you. Check the AH as often ass possible and ask guildies not to DE Fire Prot greens. I even got desperate at one point and got the lvl 70 fire resist gloves from badges of justice. Enchant and gem stam basically everywhere, get the fire resist head arcanum, gladiator's shoulder enchant, etc. You're going to be a giant effective health mana sponge, but thats realatively unavoidable given the encounter design.

The actual tanking of the fight is simple, you don't have to worry about threat (you won't even be hitting him half the fight) and after you position him you never move farther than about 10 yards to your left or right. Knowing when to use cooldowns will be the key.

Hoodlum
04-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

One question is being defence capped. I've read that for this fight, people have done it with like 137 def because quote "nobody's worried about melee hits from sarth, its all about the breath"

is this true? is the main thing just getting a ridiculous amount of health ?

Genova
04-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Druids do not need to worry about a "defense cap" we get it through a talent.

Hoodlum
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Does anybody have an optimal tanking spec for this fight I could see?

Ty in advance again, and everyone who has replied so far has been great help.