PDA

View Full Version : Recruitment advice?

Grulgor
04-02-2009, 05:34 AM
I figure we have a good recruitment macro, I use it whenever I enter a new area/city, I don't spam it. I've posted up on the wow-europe realm forum, I've posted on wowinsider on guildwatch and had a grand total of one new member in the last month while we're stuck trying to bridge the gap between 10 and 25man.

Is there any other resources/rec startegies people use? Would you spend one hour a day /w people that looked the part?

I'll post up the macro I'm using now when I get back home tonight, maybe there are other ways of making it look more appealing that you guys can help me with.

Thanks for reading.

kolben
04-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Most of the quality players I've met, I found in pickup groups or as a pickup to fill in numbers for our raid. Honestly, it's a great way to try people out and get to know them before giving them a guild tag.

If I were to start from scratch and build a raiding guild today, I'd do it by doing pickup groups and re-inviting the players I enjoyed raiding with and build the group that way.

-----

One of the things about recruitment messages is that... well, since the days of 10 and 25 man raiding there is just far too much "recruitment noise". I see new guild names everytime I hit Dalaran. It's not like it was in Classic WoW where any guild that could put together a 40 man had recruitment power on that fact alone.

Good luck!

Wyleai
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
I use the addon Naz Guild Recruiter.

I have it set to send out:

"Grannys Hoarded Cookies (est 4/7/07) is recruiting. Adult, casual, friendly, no-drama. All classes/levels welcome - we recruit you not your toon. Apply at http://grannyscookies.guildlaunch.com"

My recruitment officer spams out a similar message. I spam to guildrecruitment channel, and in non-city zones, into either once per 45 minutes.

I also -encourage- my guildies to PUG.

About 60% of our recruits come from PUGs when a member is impressed by the conduct of one of our members. Since April of 07, we've only had 2 complaints about our members by outsiders.

We're in the 150's range in toons right now, but since we're so open on alts, I'm not sure of our actual membership. Between 12 to 25 people are logged in on a given night.

Build up works on an inverse bell curve. Hitting 50 was easy, going from there to 100 took almost a year an a half. From 100 to current has been a breeze. We actually stalled it on purpose a few times in order to maintain guild culture.

I get at least 4 to 5 whispers a week from people loling at me for requiring website applications. I'm just glad they let me know who they are before one of my guildies makes the mistake of trying to recruit them. What they don't realize is that we use the website for the very purpose of screening them out.

My younger brother runs his own guild on the same server (originally he was set to join us, but his wife veto'd it for reasons beyond my understanding, and now he's stuck with it even though they're divorced). They went from 0 to 170 in a few days, and are now in the high 200s.

He recruits by using a macro:

/script n=GetNumWhoResults(); i=1; while(i<n+1) do c,g=GetWhoInfo(i); if(g=="") then SendChatMessage("Hello "..c.."! <my guild> is now recruiting! We have a cool tabard, join now!","WHISPER","ORCISH",c); GuildInvite(c); end; i=i+1; end;
And then kicks people very liberally. He stopped using the macro when he hit about 200.

Personally I prefer my smaller numbers. Everyone in the cookies is friendly and social. Only a few that linger on the sides. He on the other hand has a social core, and a majority that hang on the sides.

AxLxExX
04-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm the recruitment guy for my guild, and if you're just trying to recruit anyone and everyone, the best way, by far, is to whisper people.

Do a /who Dalaran
Switch it from zone to guild
Find all the people who're guildless, and whisper them with "Are you looking for a guild?" Don't be a douche, don't be impolite. If they say no, you say "thanks anyway, GL with your game." I can't tell you how many times they said no, and I wasn't rude to them, and then they ended up joining.
Now, you might get some profanity in return, some people get offended (no clue why). Just be prepared.

That worked for me when I was zerging, now that my guild actually wants highly geared talented players, we do more of a guild macro, interview, gearcheck thing.

PS, I've found that whispering with a macro like the above post states returns bad results. I have a macro that says "are you looking for a guild?" because I got tired of typing it. From my experience, no one will give you the time of day if you send out a macro like that.

Wyleai
04-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Just to clarify my former post. I agree the macro I posted is a bad idea. Its the worst kind of zerg recruiting. But it works if you just want instant mass numbers.

However, congrats - now you're in charge of 100-500 random people who have no interest in each other. Welcome to a guild GM's nightmare: too much success of the wrong kind. All your guild will be a large PUG with its own LFG channel.

Its out there, and my brother thinks he's pulled it off. But I much prefer slower more selective growth.

Axxiom
04-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Just to clarify my former post. I agree the macro I posted is a bad idea. Its the worst kind of zerg recruiting. But it works if you just want instant mass numbers.

However, congrats - now you're in charge of 100-500 random people who have no interest in each other. Welcome to a guild GM's nightmare: too much success of the wrong kind. All your guild will be a large PUG with its own LFG channel.

Its out there, and my brother thinks he's pulled it off. But I much prefer slower more selective growth.

i used a macro similar to the one you posted when i first started recruiting just to get numbers so that people would at least hear we existed.

i think the key to getting results with the macro is just making sure that even though it is a macro, you don't want it to LOOK like a macro. when you get a whisper like,

"Hi. My name is Axxiom and I am the guild leader of <end game>. Are you interested in joining a fun guild with exciting people that is going to succeed in World of Warcraft? If so, you should join my guild!"

it just looks too computerized. it looks like a macro. i think people tend to consider macro whispering spam. but if you get a whisper like,

"hey i just started a guild and i'm looking for cool people. we're new so you'd actually have an opportunity to help determine how the guild will run"

it looks more like the whisperer actually took the time to write out the whisper, despite the lack of attention to capitalization and punctuation.

i got a lot better response that way. maybe it's different on other realms.

dvdholder
04-12-2009, 05:02 AM
It does really depend what you are recruiting for.
If you are recruiting for becoming the biggest guild on the server, mass spam or mass recruiting is probably the way to go.
If you on the other hand want to become a competetive guild on the server I started out with a group of friends, 4 people.
invited people we liked from heroics, who performed well. then we hit the 10 man content, we got the stuff rather quick down and proceeded to recruit for 25 mans. the recruiting we did was the official forum and /city spam that we were recruting this and that class and we have this on farm. Then people could go to our free hosted forum to throw in an application, which we screened for the things we valued high, such as high activity, age and if they gem/enchant properly.
we do have all content down now, but then new problems comes, with people going inactive cuz of lack of content :(

hellion
04-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow is hurting atm. It seems subs are down, but with 3.1 that should change a bit. Recruiting has been horrible the last month or so due to the new raid release schedule and what crumbs were given to us with Lich.

Acheronia
04-18-2009, 07:14 AM
The way I recruit has been echoed by PO, but I feel it needs mentioning again because it filters out the riff-raff quite effectively.

I don't advertise at all. I invite pugs that have impressed me with their game play and ask that they apply on our website. If they cba to apply, then I know they will show little to no commitment to the guild. Referrals from guild member's friends are also a good source. Same application requirement applies.

The application asks a couple of gaming questions, age and location, and then 2 questions that has no relevance "Chocolate, sweets or cheese" and "Favourite band". These last 2 questions seems trivial, but it serves 2 functions: 1) A sense of humour will sometimes be revealed and it's something that I place a high value on. 2) It opens up a further channel of communication. Some people will reveal a little more of themselves if asked something a bit more personal without it seeming that you're prying into their lives.

Recruiting this way is slow, but very satisfying. You end up with people in the guild that are pleasant and are happy to work with you to enhance the guild in whatever your goal is, be it raiding/social/leveling/etc.

Lastly my philosophy on recruitment: I recruit people, not characters. Characters can be upgraded, arseholes can't.

Grulgor
04-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the replies people. Seems we're always too focused on achievements in hero runs and raiding every other time. I think I will start pugging myself with one of our healers :)

3.1 hit, and I now get 3/4 whispers everytime I hit that macro. Seems poeple really want the gear in 10/25man Naxx so they can get into Ulduar (it is a tad bit difficult for a 10man guild as it stands imo)

So, problem solved for now. On with the PuGs..