PDA

View Full Version : Members dont use our forum

Drudoo
04-02-2009, 04:27 AM
Hello ppl at tankspot :)

Im officer in a raiding guild at dragonmaw EU, and we got a big problem.
The Members aren't using our forum. We have existed for 2 years now, but after LK we got a lot of new members, and some of them are using it, but we have about 40 raiders and 10 officers. The officers are using it, but it is only about 10 members that use it too... really annoying.

We used to sign for raids at our website, but ppl didn't sign :( Now we use the in-game calendar and ppl are signing a lot now.

I dont know if someone else have that kind of problem.
But i hope someone has something to say :D

zander1976
04-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Put something interesting on site :)

Message of the day, like "Monday night Maly - Sign up on the webpage - airline tickets cell phone deals at whatever.com (http://www.whatever.com)" as an example. Your guilds fight stats WWS reports and fraps might get people. Also change the Motd while there is a lot of people on. When it changes it gets rebroadcasts to the guild so everybody sees it.

Put the address everywhere you can like in guild info as well so people are constantly seeing it. That will help get people there and keep needed info on the webpage such as vent info, raiding nights, dkp, professions and whatever else you can put on there.

Depending on your guildies you can also encurage fun stuff or not safe for work stuff. Basically, you have to advertise and you have to keep the people there with something for them to do.

Brucimus
04-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Is it guild policy that people need to sign up for raids on the site? if it is... follow it

Kaad
04-02-2009, 07:13 AM
Tell them they need to use the site.

Give benefits for it, our members really like the 'Failures' thread.

pretty much a thread for them to post peoples names... and reasons why you should never group with them =P

kolben
04-02-2009, 07:43 AM
I kind of hate to say this, because it's a generalization that isn't necessarily true....

Your members who don't use the forums, are probably also the ones who under-perform or who could really do better probably too.

Just observation over a few guilds, not claiming to know the psycho analysis on why that is.

If you want the guild to use the forums, the officers really need to try to set an example. It doesn't need to be all super serious wow business. Post stupid crap, youtube videos, baby pictures, whatever. Cover some wow topics in depth, maybe don't try to seem like your post is the end-of-all-discussion authoritative post on the subject. Some people just don't want to make waves, and are shy about engaging someone in the guild that has rank over them (especially if they disagree or have a different take on a subject). :)

veneretio
04-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Once Ulduar comes out, just make sure to post kill shots on the forums and you'll get all your members checking it out from time to time. For some reason everyone always loves seeing how they looked in the kill shot.

Drudoo
04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
All very good:)
But we got all this stuff. Really nice HQ fraps movies, Killshots, Fun topics, A guy yday made a whole april fools fake patch note, We got WWS logs, but somehow it is not enough. The ppl that dont look isn't necessarily the ppl that are crap DPS/Healer/Tank, they are good core members...

Maybe going in deep lore discussion, we have some lore freaks that could be attracted by that.

@Brucimus
If 15 ppl sign, it is hard to say "no raid, we need 10 more to sign" when we have 30 ppl online -.- trust me we have tried A LOT...

Gretchin
04-03-2009, 01:54 AM
What you can try is that raid tactics will be posted on the forums and those who replies that they have read it and understood it will get priority to get invited to raids? Same with tactic videoes.

Also, if you have something like a member rank and raider rank make it a point that those with raider ranks shall read the forums daily to be updated on what's happening, those who don't do that will only stay members. Might be a extra carrot/whip for some lazy bastards.

Tegaza
04-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Ok, well just to throw in my 2 cents. I always found it useful to try and entertain them with something. Maybe by doing contest of some sort.. (screen shot contest, Video contest, hmm? essay contest? lol) idk get creative with it.. and you and your officers can each put in 100g to make a prize =). Also try to make a news forum and updated often...

Calintara
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I look at it with this perspective. The website is one place where everyone can easily access so it is the best place to put the mass information. Those people that cannot take the time to post information on the website, or review are not good guildmates. A guild is a community and if people are picking and choosing their participation based off their personal choices then they have the I mentality versus the team mentality.

There are some things that you can do to promote your web site in a positive and negative manner. People mentioned posting your WWS meters, movies, and current news. Those are always good. having a strategy section is good as well.

I also have made all guild bank requests a website function only. This keeps all officers and members in the "know" of what is leaving the GB.

Sign-ups are done via the website only. Being a sneaky type person i updated and bumped the section of our raid rules to say something to the effect that your signup is a committment that you have read all the strats, know your role, watched the vids etc. This is a handy tool to hold folks accountable for. If they are not going to pay attention to raid rules then why bother having them on a raid?

I created a training section moderated by class leads with profiles on most of our raiding folks to give them personal feedback. if they dont respond, read, or show effort at improving then this "document" is what i use to rotate them out of raids.

Raid sign-ups in general can be an interesting thing to hold people accountable for. If you need 25 folks and only 15 are signing up then cancel the raid. I am still working through this issue myself but as the GM and RL it is a bit infuriating to coordinate everything and see that people expect me to just invite them straight from the guild into a raid. To me it is effort based. If they cannot take the 10-15 minutes a day, or every other day, to review the information that we put out there or participate in enhancing the community then.

Members are like our kids some times, they will push the boundaries and try to get away with as much as possible. If the Leadership doesnt clearly set the boundaries then problems ensue.

Anyhow, hope that perspective helps. I am still in the throes of this very same issue but it has vastly improved over the past couple months.

Wyleai
04-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Is there a valid reason your guild website needs to be used by the members?

If not, don't worry about it.

If so, that valid reason will drive them to it.

Dubzil
04-09-2009, 03:10 PM
^-- websites are not as useful as they used to be. with ingame calendar there's virtually no use for a guild website other than copying strategies which can be found elsewhere.

Yeah you put your hard work into making it, but its becoming a thing of the past unless you have a valid reason (i can't think of any)

orcstar
04-10-2009, 02:54 AM
Well, if you have 15 people signing and 30 people online, give the people who signed through the website priority on raidspots. And after that select the 10 you need from the remaining people online who didn't sign.

If you keep this up, the ones who are eager to raid will sign. Try to never take a non signed person and benching a signed person rather take an extra healer or an extra tank, just to make the point clear that people need to sign through the website.

Axxiom
04-27-2009, 01:08 AM
ask yourself "why would your guild members want to look at your forums?"

is there information that are useful to them there? or is it just a copy of guild chat. if there isn't any valuable content or discussion going on there, i wouldnt expect guild members to take much interest. start some conversations, get people talking.

remind people about the website at events. in every single one of my calendar events (and i use the in-game calendar system) the very first thing in the event description is our website URL in call caps, BOULDERFISTENDGAME.COM. so if they're coming to events, everytime they see/accept an invitation, they also see our website and remember it. it's in the guild message of the day to. i also added a link at the top of our forums that allows browsers to easily add our forums to their favorites. as long as there's something of value on your forums it's just going to take repetition, repetition, repetition to get members to use the forums.

shortly after our forums went up, i decided to create a suggestions section for members. when guild members think they have a good idea for new policies or changes to existing policies, they can post them in the suggestion forums. this saves the guild leadership the time of whispering and getting into arguments with member over policy issues, and allows the ideas to be assessed publicly.

our strategies are on our website. so are all of our policies. our forums even have videos (including How To videos) of new ulduar bosses downed by the guild.

our members want to go to our forums because there's information there that they want to see and know about

Genova
05-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Im on the side with members should look at forums, chances are if they dont look at their own guild forums, they dont look at sites like this, thus they dont read their own strategies or research stats etc etc.

Like someone said, people who dont read Guild forums are more than likely the people who sign in to raid, do marginally well, and sign off and dont play any other time.

minrog
05-16-2009, 02:19 AM
I trend away from the forum deal as being important. What you are talking about is whether people want to socialize or do paperwork outside of the game. Some people are forum warriors and some aren't and if you've worked out something in game with the calendar I wouldn't force people to go to a third party site to do something they can do easier in game.

I read tankspot because it is the best site available for my in game focus. I read wowwiki for similar reasons. The fights in game are pretty trivial to understand and it's not like it takes long to say "hey joe healer #2, spot heals on group 3 during tantrums". If you have your raids moving along and your guys are using the calender to sign up I wouldn't worry about it.

You could always start posting drama on the forums to entice them. That's what everyone tunes in for anyway. Bash the officers publicly and accuse guys of stealing from the guild bank. Put these things on the raid sign up page and watch the numbers soar. :P

qygibo
05-16-2009, 10:56 AM
If you're wanting to get people to use your forums, get pertinent information up there for them. We have several different subforums on our site--one deals with speccing for raids, one deals with just general sort of news, another deals with strategies for raiding and so forth. I also have a weekly contest that I put up that requires people to go to the forums to participate, with gold prizes.

I'd suppose that a lot of it does also depend on what your guild members are like, or whether they are on typically at the same time anyway. A guild forum works for our guild because we're more of a nighttime based guild, and all of our members aren't typically on except at night, and then during the day some of them get the opportunity to slack around and visit the forums.

Rennadrel
05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
One issue I have with some raiding guilds is that they force you to use their website. I find that anything that needs to be talked about can be discussed in guild meetings on Vent or can be put in the guild info log.