PDA

View Full Version : Hit/Expertise vs. Over-Def. Question

Titanicus
04-01-2009, 07:48 AM
Armory Link (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dalvengyr&n=Titanicus)

I raid 10-mans almost exclusively. I don't have the rep with Argent Crusade yet, so I know the head enchant is not optimal. I have been unlucky w/ the Red Sword of Courage or Slayer of the Lifeless dropping.

My question is, should I be gemming/enchanting for other stats anytime I'm over 540 defense, or is it worthwhile to continue stacking defense? I'm a little low on hit, so I was thinking of re-gemming for more hit/expertise/stam until I got close to 689 defense.

Is 5% hit what I should be aiming for? What about expertise? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Giliandrix
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
If you're already over 540 defense there's no real reason to continue stacking defense (Unless you want some mega, avoidance/blocking set)

More hit + More Expertise = More threat/DPS which NEVER hurts.

Stompbox
04-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Defense is still a worthwhile stat, even after 540 defense. Alot of the gear you pick up with defense rating early in the game has a ton of it, and these items are replaced with 10/25 epics that take a more balanced approach to stat allocation. Having a good amount of defense early in your tanking career means less headache (and less gold spent on enchants and gems) when you get an upgrade that would otherwise drop you below 540 defense. Each point of defense rating adds avoidance (dodge/parry/miss) and block rating. It isn't until you're being hit hard by diminishing returns that defense rating should be considered a secondary defensive stat.

A few comments about your gems/enchants; Never gem for parry rating. Parry rating is just about the last avoidance stat you should gem for, since the dimishing returns for parry start hitting you very early. Also, I would worry about hitting the expertise soft cap before you start gemming for hit. Expertise is nearly always a better threat stat than hit, and you should try to hit the Expertise soft-cap as soon as it is reasonable.

I would aim for a to-hit% of around 6-7% depending on the group you run with, but this should come from your gear. If you are with people who apply debuffs to bosses that increase chance-to-hit, this is a good number. If you're willing to spend the money, enchant your weapon with Accuracy, but a Titanium Weapon Chain will work too if you're worried about cash. This will help you with your hit rating in the short-term.

Also, your professions can be a huge help in this regard. Work on your blacksmithing until you can socket your belt, wrist and gloves. That's 3 gems you're missing out on.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Titanicus
04-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. So my short-term plans are to replace my parry gems for expertise until I hit 26 expertise rating (i'll have to look up just how much expertise equates to a rating of 26, not sure off the top of my head). Then I'll grab the Titanium Weapon Chain for now to help out with hit.

I woefully neglected my professions on this character, and I actually just started blacksmithing this past weekend. Going to work on that so I can get the sockets, too.

Bryenne
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
1 point of expertise rating = .25 expertise. You need 104 points of expertise rating to reach 26 expertise.

Titanicus
04-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's a straight 1 expertise point. = .25 expertise rating conversion. Right now I have 83 expertise, which would mean over 20 expertise, however I only have 16.

Titanicus
04-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Found it. 214 expertise = 26 expertise rating.

Bryenne
04-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Found it. 214 expertise = 26 expertise rating.

Quite right, was getting my conversions mixed up. 1 expertise = .25% decrease parry & dodge, meaning 26 expertise = 6.25% = negates dodge (hence, soft cap).