PDA

View Full Version : DK switching to Frost tank spec

Frawsty
03-31-2009, 08:23 PM
I just need a good DK frost tank talent build. Any advice is appreciated. Main concern is holding aggro. Survivability is not an issue. If someone can link me a good DK frost tank from wowarmory, I would be grateful.

Thanks for the help

Dirge
04-01-2009, 12:21 PM
I quite like my own spec, and have had no problems with threat.

I feel that the key to any DK tank holding threat, especially single-target, is the frequent use of rune strike. If you haven't macroed to rune-strike, I highly recommend it.

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-talents.xml?r=Shadow+Council&n=Danar)

There may be a better way to spend the last point than in Morbidity, but I like D&D a lot, and so I like to have it a little more often.

CommodoreWinky
04-02-2009, 05:28 AM
^^^ That's a solid Frost spec. I've seen it without the point in in Deathchill so you can go 2/3 morbidity

iofe
04-02-2009, 05:40 AM
I've read somewhere that the 5 points in killing machine arenth worth overly much since most of your melee autoattacks will be runestrikes.

Does that assumption hold true? Do runestrike proc killing machine?

Bryenne
04-02-2009, 05:45 AM
12/52/7 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0EMZGxxt0ebohoVost0x0b)

Frost build without having to use DnD. I just tell my dps to hold on aoe until they see the first howling blast drop, then they can go nuts. Usually isn't a problem, since I grip something over first, hit pestilence as the rest of the group runs up, and drop HB immediately after that. Then it's just a matter of tab-targeting, keeping up diseases, and hitting HB on cooldown. Having rune strike macroed to all your strikes helps immensely as well. Single target, same rotation, no biggie.

And yes, I like Hungering Cold, you can take it out if you like for something else, like finishing off Ravenous Dead. I usually end up off-tanking the adds on Gluth, and blocking them between hunter traps works very well. Come 3.1, I'll be putting at least one point into Chillblains (no prereqs then) to slow the chow down.

Bryenne
04-02-2009, 05:47 AM
I've read somewhere that the 5 points in killing machine arenth worth overly much since most of your melee autoattacks will be runestrikes.

Does that assumption hold true? Do runestrike proc killing machine?

As it is right now, Killing Machine can proc of any melee attack, not just autoattacks. Read the talent again. ;) So yeah, totally worth it, since dropping a crit HB on a group is awesome snap threat. Most recent WWS shows the KM buff up on me 45% of the time on Patchwerk. Obviously going to be less if you have to run around, but there ya go.

Voodan
04-02-2009, 08:40 AM
I agree with this spec for the most part. Like the previous poster mentioned, I would take a point out of Deathchill in lieu of another talent (i.e. the second point in morbidity). One crit every 2 minutes is extremely underwhelming. The only possible use for this talent would be to get quick snap aggro on an aoe pack every once in a while. If this is for trash, most pulls last less than 2 minutes and ideally you would need to be able to hold threat without relying on this talent.

Bryenne
04-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Hell, most trash pulls last less than 20 seconds. ;)