PDA

View Full Version : Professions for a raiding Palladin

Varranis
03-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi there, I am currently an Engineer/Enchanter, both are maxed.
However I am tempted to swap Engineering with Jewel Crafting,
as it offers more raiding benefits via Gems and such.
Leveling JC is not a problem, however I am having second thoughts and would like to have an outside opinion before i make a decision.
I am a Protection Palladin fyi :)

Ushebti
03-30-2009, 07:05 AM
jewelcrafting is better.
Engineering is more for the fun stuff - there is also a stam. trinket if i recall correct
but there is that too in JC + the better gems.

kolben
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
To add to Ushbeti's comments.

Jewel Crafting seems to be the superior profession from several points of view. Not just min/maxing for it's own sake but for increased flexibility in meeting meta gem choices, and of course the ability to make money on your profession.

Blacksmithing has some nice looking items coming up in 3.1. I don't recall if they are BOP, if not then it shouldn't be a problem to find a blacksmith to make the things for you.

I've also taken a look at Inscription and Enchanting. Both are making serious money right now. I know a person who has payed for a handful of epic flyers off making Nobles cards. If you're anything like me, half-way through an expansion it becomes more important to me to have a large cache of raiding supplies and plenty of gold (so I don't have to slave away 10+ hours a week outside raids) than any net gains I'd get from a particular gem or whatever :)

Ushebti
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Inscription adds a bit more on the stats - though if you are exalted with Sons of the hodir,
it's only worth it for the money.

Plus Jewelcrafting/enchanting is really going to be the "money making" machine after 3.1 (People get new lewt.)

Hire
03-30-2009, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't drop just yet... the advantage to JC is the JC only gems, which are more valuable to a tank than any other profession atm. But as epic gems become available, that advantage will decrease. New patterns will come out for other professions (and as far as I know there will be no new JC only patterns), so it might be worth waiting for at least 3.1 to see what becomes available to switch over...(that engineering only lvl 72 helm might even get an upgrade in the future)

Stearns
03-30-2009, 08:17 AM
I would take JC over eng any day of the week. In fact I just recently levelled JC myself and I'm pretty happy with it. Conincidentally, there was an angry post on the official forums saying the only difference between tanks in high end guilds these days is those who have JC, and those who dont. The implications were that JC (along with BS) is mandatory for a tank. If so, whats the point, since no profession should be mandatory?

Having levelling it myself, I tend to agree. I now have around 80 extra stamina in my sarth3d set. The other profs give 48-50 extra stamina. Not that stamina is really a very interesting stat for druids except on that one fight but anyway, when you can get socket bonus with little effort & always make your meta requirements, its make JC rather OP compared to most of the other professions.

I dont think they'll come out with epic gems, and no new JC gems. I dont see the point of unscalable professions, but I do hope they nerf JC somewhat to make it less mandatory for tanks.

Varranis
03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Blizzard has added +800 armor to gloves for engineers, which makes me re-think giving up Engineering... since it could get better in the long run as JC won't get much more of a buff since it's so useful now... what do u guys think? any engineer tanks able to comment?

Heladys
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Blizzard has added +800 armor to gloves for engineers, which makes me re-think giving up Engineering... since it could get better in the long run as JC won't get much more of a buff since it's so useful now... what do u guys think? any engineer tanks able to comment?

Dropped engineering as soon as Bornakk set us up the bomb. Haven't looked back since.

Hire
04-07-2009, 06:44 AM
The implications were that JC (along with BS) is mandatory for a tank. If so, whats the point, since no profession should be mandatory?

JC/LW -> highest EH atm, and that's with 2 +24stam in your sockets. Throw in the cheap leg work (and the resist to bracers) and right now those are the 2 best profs for a tank (but only by 2 stam)

Jalousie
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Jewelcrafting seems like a good option with lots of opportunities to help out lower-level alts too. Not too strenuous to level. Personally I'm very happy with the old mining/blacksmithing combination although I understand that the level 80 epics are pretty soon redundant if/when you start raiding.

Also - level fishing and cooking! I did this at 80 with my warrior and it's been unbelievably useful in terms of buff foods. Good for me, good for friends and good for gold as they sell pretty consistently on the AH. There's a great guide to levelling them simultaneously: El's Extreme Anglin' - WoW Fishing Guide (http://www.elsanglin.com/) , took me a couple of solid evenings then a day or so more for the last few difficult skill points.