PDA

View Full Version : every forum entry, pop-up ad to close?

CKaz
03-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure if this is the best spot here, seems to be tho -

I don't mind advertising, I get why you need it, and you guys do a ton here. That said, when I look to hop around quick and find myself closing 5-10 ad spots, it's less likely I'll hop around. * Per edit comment below, its actually much more frequent, too.

Is this a recent change and here to stay?

cheers
CKaz

Kazeyonoma
03-24-2009, 09:42 AM
hrm, Cider, any ideas?

It may just be an unfounded result of some recent ads Ckaz, most of us are donors/authors/admin's and we can't see the ads unless we log out. Thanks for bringing it up.

CKaz
03-24-2009, 09:43 AM
ok thanks, I'm using the chat box to get some thoughts too :)

I don't mind some, but for whatever reason [and making sure not my-side] I get a ton of em

cheers
CKaz

edit - using IE 7.0 from work [XP] and home [vista home]
testing at home happens as well, maybe a little less

Mhoram
03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I haven't seen any ad pop-ups, or gotten any indication through Firefox or anything else that there are any happening here at all.

Ciderhelm
03-24-2009, 01:53 PM
You need to check your system for spyware. I strongly suggest a program like AdAware.

We contractually only allow a top banner ad and an ad on the right side on our homepage.

Bodasafa
03-24-2009, 02:11 PM
I have been visiting this site for years and have never had a pop-up add. If you using Internet Explorer stop! Download Firefox and set up No-script and Add-Blocker that come as addons with it. Additionally you should do a virus scan and get a spyware checker as Cider suggested.

The most likely cause is you have some form of malware or a virus.

Effinaymon
03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
My guess is he is referring to the banner at the top of the page which expands upon mouseover, which is sometimes hard or annoying to avoid. Kazey suggested the ultimate solution though:

Donate
get privileges
profit

Jotain
03-26-2009, 03:06 AM
My guess is he is referring to the banner at the top of the page which expands upon mouseover, which is sometimes hard or annoying to avoid.

This. It doesnt even wait for mouseover, it just opens every time i change page (Im using backspace for going back so i wont mouseover it accidentally). I got noscript + adblock blocking that kinda crap at home but not at school :/

Its okay to have flashy and unrelated ads, just not those visibility blocking script ads.

CKaz
03-26-2009, 09:38 AM
This. It doesnt even wait for mouseover, it just opens every time i change page (Im using backspace for going back so i wont mouseover it accidentally). I got noscript + adblock blocking that kinda crap at home but not at school :/

Its okay to have flashy and unrelated ads, just not those visibility blocking script ads.

^^

I'm not mousing over, at work this happens and we're kept clean daily, at home I just got a new PC, run anti-ad programs regularly.

I just wanted to understand if its a policy or not
- At work, it's not entirely clear I can go to Firefox, and frankly I wanted you guys to know as low and behold, IE still retains marketshare.

We all don't like MS for this and that, but Firefox shouldn't be a requirement, nor should ad blocking software, nor should being a donor if popping up all the time, not just mouse-over, is more than you meant it to do for those who are not donors.

This is something new that I'm experiencing, on both PCs, and only on Tankspot. I appreciate that this topic generally stayed on track :D

This isn't just to help me... it might drive me away, but net net I don't have a lot of time to play WoW or be here, especially lately, and that's the only reason I'm not a donor - signal to noise ratio here is awesome.

It will frustrate those where every move they make on the site, they have to find the close button for the ad in different spots, it stops page scrolling too. If it's only a small population and you guys can't reproduce it, so be it, but after some checking/effort I don't see what's on my side, in two different environments, could now be doing this all of the sudden.

I don't mind the ads - I suppose one answer can be I block ads and just read here at home... maybe I should only read at home anyways haha.

But I'd rather not block ads if that could neg. impact your ad revenue - again I may not be a donor, but certainly I don't mind 'ad-ing' in that way.

Likely my last post on it, just brought it up to possibly help Tankspot.
Thanks guys, CKaz

BlazeDale
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I use Firefox and EI and I don't get the annoying adds this poster is mentioning.

Rudolf
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
The banner doesn't just expands on mouseover. It expands after any navigation action. Going to any new page while browsing the forum makes the top banner take half the screen for me until it is closed. It expanded when I went to this post reply page and will expand again after I submit it.

I understand that there are several ways to fix the problem on my end. If it bothered me that much I would just get an ad blocker or something. But I think Tankspot might be getting a bad deal with this ad provider. Or maybe the script is faulty? I don't know how these things work at all. I just know that it's not something I often see on other sites, so it could be an actual problem.

Darksend
03-31-2009, 04:28 PM
just logged in from my grandparents house, it took me a good 2 minutes to log in because of this.

sorry not really in a stable frame of mind to be much help describing it, but it happened at my hotel the other day too, both using IE

Eisen
03-31-2009, 05:31 PM
I've noticed this from time to time on certain ads (The Sprint and Red Faction ones especially)

Basically the ad expands to cover a large portion of the screen, without any input from me. No mouseover, no click, nothing.

I've noticed it on two different computers; one a laptop running IE6, the other a desktop running IE8. It's periodically irritating, but I can live with it.

Ciderhelm
04-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Ckaz -- I'm still not 100% clear on what you're saying. Are you referring to the flash ad at the top expanding downwards on page load?

For others, what ads are doing this? I'm aware the HAWX advertisement had done I'd like names of other campaigns currently causing this.

Darksend
04-01-2009, 05:51 AM
yes cider, for me what happens is that the flash add expands down to cover about 1-3 of my screen and every time I go to mouse-over and click close, it closes before i click it

but then when i move my mouse off of where it was, it expands back to full. I am guessing this is an IE issuse as at home on firefox I have never seen this when logging in

Rudolf
04-01-2009, 05:56 AM
Ckaz -- I'm still not 100% clear on what you're saying. Are you referring to the flash ad at the top expanding downwards on page load?

For others, what ads are doing this? I'm aware the HAWX advertisement had done I'd like names of other campaigns currently causing this.

I'm on firefox at work, but I remember the Sprint ad also doing it.

Eisen
04-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Yes, the ads at the top of the page randomly expand. Most often at page load, but they do it sometimes just in the middle of me typing in a forum, without any mouseover, clicking, etc.

The ones that I see it happen on are:

H.A.W.X.
Sprint Wireless
Red Faction
edit: And jsut as I posted this the one for Wanted: Weapons of Fate did it too.

Personally I don't think it's a specific ad problem so much as the coding for the advertisements section itself.

Ciderhelm
04-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Asking for confirmation on this: These ads always expand downwards, correct? I will most likely be moving them below the navigation and login bar in the very near future to prevent this from blocking the site nav.

Eisen
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Asking for confirmation on this: These ads always expand downwards, correct? I will most likely be moving them below the navigation and login bar in the very near future to prevent this from blocking the site nav.
That is correct, for me at least.

It's not really site-breaking or anyhting, just annoying, esp on lower-resolution screens like my work laptop.

orcstar
04-03-2009, 07:01 AM
I just noscript and flashblock. This is mostly to get rid of those intrusive page filling advertisements. I know it costs sites I love revenue but the nature of adds has decreased my enjoyment of my internet experience to such an extent that I'd rather not visit a site then to have to endure flashadds like these. Or.........don't use flash at all. Flashblock has a nice on demand button which I can click if I DO want to see the flash.

There are some sites like tankspot which I really like and to these I donate if possible. To some extent to make up for lost revenue. But it's worth it imo.

At work, sadly they work with slave terminals running a remote windows desktop over citrix. This setup works nicely for most applications and sites...............until heavily animated flash involved, like the adds on tankspot. My session get thrown away everyday so I have to endure 1 page with adds after which I'm logged in. The red faction banner was a real anoying one taking me up to 10 seconds before I could log in.