PDA

View Full Version : If I rolled a warrior tank...(serious question)

NexsusTheFrostDeathKnight
03-20-2009, 11:10 PM
can I use a fist weapon?
I never seriously rolled a warrior before due to their traditional survival proplems, but the concept of using fist&shield combo seems fancy,
is it possible to do this without gimping yourself?

jettzypher
03-20-2009, 11:30 PM
well yes, they can use fist weapons, but theres no fist weapon in the game thats designed with tanking in mind, theyre all dps oriented. at lower lvls i dont think it matters, but when you get higher up, youll be missing some vital tank stats by using one.

Ciderhelm
03-21-2009, 12:45 PM
It's certainly possible. The last fist weapon great for tanking was way way back in AQ40, though, and Molten Core before that.

Petninja
03-21-2009, 02:22 PM
You'd lose valuable tanking stats, and gain valuable dps stats. The biggest problem you'd have would be that fist weapons are generally very slow at end game and you want a fast weapon for quick heroic striking.

That being said, if I gave up my Red Sword for a Fist weapon I'd lose 38 defense rating and probably some strength, and probably gain a bunch of agility and crit rating (hit rating shows up on dps gear as much as tanking gear). So in the end I'd lose defense but make some of it up in dodge from agility, and I'd gain a bunch of crit. Obviously it's not optimal for a survival set, but for a threat set it'd be fine.

Tatt
03-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Pet a lot of people tank with Broken Promise, speed is not nearly as important as it used to be.

Krashtork
03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
If you rolled a warrior tank you'd be gimped in the survival and AOE threat departments until blizzard finds us suitable for re balancing. (And yes you CAN use fist weapons if you wish to)

Petninja
03-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Just because a lot of people tank with Broken Promise doesn't mean that it's better than a fast weapon for threat generation. There are threads on here that deal with this, and heroic strike spam always wins out.

If you rolled a warrior tank you'd be gimped in the survival and AOE threat departments until blizzard finds us suitable for re balancing. (And yes you CAN use fist weapons if you wish to)

You'd be gimped because certain other classes are overpowered right now. DKs are getting hit in a couple places, and Druids are losing some stam I believe. Drop the warrior QQ. We're still being taken to all content.

Tatt
03-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I do not recall reading anything that said without doubt faster would always win on threat, if so why would anyone use Broken Promise at all? Also the OP is talking about using a fist weapon, which we know that right now will obviously have dps stats on it....so a higher inherently damaging weapon, with the addition of AP and crit and posibly ArP or haste will most likely hold its own threat wise if the defensive stats can be made up on other gear.

Klimpen
03-21-2009, 03:46 PM
I do not recall reading anything that said without doubt faster would always win on threat, if so why would anyone use Broken Promise at all? Also the OP is talking about using a fist weapon, which we know that right now will obviously have dps stats on it....so a higher inherently damaging weapon, with the addition of AP and crit and posibly ArP or haste will most likely hold its own threat wise if the defensive stats can be made up on other gear.

Come on Tatt. Heroic Strike?

IF(Rage_starved==FALSE)

Faster_weapon=More_Heroic_Strikes=More_threat;

03-21-2009, 10:12 PM
bugger, so it's a survival/tankstat issue? so if I wanted to do heroics or basic dungeons (assuming I even get to northrend with a fresh warrior) I'd need to find a fisty that's somewhat fast and somewhat coated in agillity?
This is all from "let's just have fun in dungeons" point of view, no serious raiding.

Dhalphir
03-21-2009, 10:19 PM

People use Broken Promise because of its iLevel. there is no equal iLevel fast weapon to Broken Promise. Only lower (Slayer of the Lifeless, Red Sword of Courage) and better (Last Laugh). Broken Promise is unarguably better than Slayer or Red Sword, but only because it is simply a higher grade of weapon, with more item points to spend on stats. If there were an equivalent iLevel 1h tank weapon, with the same DPS, that was fast, it would unequivocably be better than Broken Promise.

GiANTBOMB
03-22-2009, 05:56 PM
I used a fist weapon all the way from 66 or so up until 72-73. Never really had any issues when I tanked during those levels, but it's a whole different ballgame @ 80.

shiz98
03-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I do not recall reading anything that said without doubt faster would always win on threat, if so why would anyone use Broken Promise at all?
Download the spreadsheet from here (http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f14/45932-bleeds-weapon-speeds-tanking.html), plug in the different swords, and look for yourself. Broken Promise is worse.

Durandro
03-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Might work if you're Prot PvP. But for tanking it tends not to work so well. Infact, it would be more sound to use a Dagger then a Fist with current itemisation (imagine using a 1.3 dagger - that's alot of Heroic Striking!).

Talisman
03-23-2009, 07:58 PM
bugger, so it's a survival/tankstat issue? so if I wanted to do heroics or basic dungeons (assuming I even get to northrend with a fresh warrior) I'd need to find a fisty that's somewhat fast and somewhat coated in agillity?
This is all from "let's just have fun in dungeons" point of view, no serious raiding.

It's not perfectly ideal, but I've found slow DPS weapons (Fist or otherwise) to be quite successful in heroic level content, in fact in my very early days I used to use the S1 fist weapon and I'm rocking a Pizza Slicer (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40383) for 5-mans right now.

If it's just to 'have fun in dungeons', then go for it :-)

Whitegold
03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I tanked a lot of 70 content with Blazefury Blazefury - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28427), and quite a lot of other people did too.

Nothing wrong with tanking with dps weapons as long as you can overcome the lacking stats (especially Defense) on the weapon. You'd probably struggle to use it for raids, but for lower content you'd be fine.

veneretio
03-24-2009, 07:22 AM
People use Broken Promise because of its iLevel. there is no equal iLevel fast weapon to Broken Promise. Only lower (Slayer of the Lifeless, Red Sword of Courage) and better (Last Laugh). Broken Promise is unarguably better than Slayer or Red Sword, but only because it is simply a higher grade of weapon, with more item points to spend on stats. If there were an equivalent iLevel 1h tank weapon, with the same DPS, that was fast, it would unequivocably be better than Broken Promise.
You might be surprised...
http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f97/44550-broken-promise-vs-red-sword.html

Broken Promise has a place, but it's not vs bosses. Most people use it because they don't understand how much of our damage comes from Heroic Strike.

As to the OP: You can do it. It's far from ideal, but it's not like it'll prevent you from finishing 5 mans. I wouldn't expect to be taken seriously in a raid though if you are adamant about only using Fist weapons.

shiz98
03-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Broken Promise has a place, but it's not vs bosses.
QFT. Broken Promise is actually your best trash choice, due to lack of rage, and the fact that cleave's bonus damage matters less the more mobs you're tanking. When you factor in Incite with TC, the Deep Wounds damage starts to stack up.

03-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks for all the info, any tips on how to lvl a warrior? I've only managed to hit lvl 20 and suddenly stop due to large death rate, I spec'd fury if i remember right.
luckily I have pvp lvling shoulders

breaklance
03-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Pet a lot of people tank with Broken Promise, speed is not nearly as important as it used to be.

On a fight like patchwerk, Broken Promise dropped my avg dps 400 points opposed to when I was using Slayer of the Lifeless.

But yes it generally isn't a BIG deal

Skyborn
03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
I leveled 58-80 prot and for a long time in Northrend I was rocking the Borean Smasher while grinding instances to 80.

Borean Smasher - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38238)

Iiked it -- it looked cool and it also helped me get my unarmed skill up pretty high before I swapped it out for a true tank weapon.

Blue
03-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Prot Warriors have better survival talents now, than in the past, as far as leveling solo. Still, there's some creativity involved, at times...I toughed my way up to level 65, or so, until it finally dawned on me to try finding others to group with...I don't recommend anyone doing it that way, as I probably could have leveled quite a bit faster, if I'd been more "sociable". (I sometimes think I maybe should've rolled a rogue--hah!)

As for the weapon question...Warriors can use any weapon, except wands. I skilled up every weapon, I think, except two-hand maces and axes (I like shield, as a weapon and as armor). I still carry a dagger, although I rarely use it, like, for when I come across a pug who starts giving me unwanted advice, in the middle of an instance. I'll arm it, and while the obnoxious pug is laughing at me, I'll start tanking with it...(hey, in an adverse environment, it's time to be adverse!!)

While I'm not going to try to argue the merits of this or that weapon, it's good to know what one is giving up, in order to use one or another...it's just that, occasionally, it's nice to break out of the "gear" mindset, and just have a bit of fun...that is what the "game" is about--right? Well? Deviate delight, anyone?

shiz98
03-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Learn how to pull. I remember concocting elaborate plots in my mind while meticulously picking off mobs one at a time while infiltrating a mob "compound" (you know what I mean). Chuck a knife at a dood, run around the corner, beat him up when he follows me, and grin evilly as he yelled for help, only the dead bodies of his former comrades within earshot.

*Ahem* but yeah, the key is to fight one mob at a time. Be careful with the pulling, bring lots of food, etc. I've heard sitting in defensive stance and using Revenge whenever possible is a good way to get through the low levels.

03-25-2009, 11:50 PM
thanks for the help guys! final thoughts anyone? what to consider in terms of race for spec? I'm thinking of tauren, because I want a kodo, and I have blizzcon bear mount, so I think make a random mount macro :P