PDA

View Full Version : Prot warrior Need help

sien
03-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Hey im not sure if this is the right spot for this forum but if it isnt then just move it. (sorry im new to this forum) anyways i just started tanking about 2 weeks ago and iv been doing pretty decent but im having trouble keeping aggro on mobs of over 3. Is there some sort of rotation i need to do? all iv been doing is taunt,thunderclap,shockwave and just thoes 3, but i keep losing aggro and someone ends up dieing.

heres my character

Be Imba! - the online Character Auditor for World of Warcraft (http://be.imba.hu/?zone=US&realm=Drenden&character=Sien)

Kataztrophe
03-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey im not sure if this is the right spot for this forum but if it isnt then just move it. (sorry im new to this forum) anyways i just started tanking about 2 weeks ago and iv been doing pretty decent but im having trouble keeping aggro on mobs of over 3. Is there some sort of rotation i need to do? all iv been doing is taunt,thunderclap,shockwave and just thoes 3, but i keep losing aggro and someone ends up dieing.

heres my character

Be Imba! - the online Character Auditor for World of Warcraft (http://be.imba.hu/?zone=US&realm=Drenden&character=Sien)

You definitely have to use more then those 3 abilities. Shield Slam and Revenge generate the most threat, so use them when they're up. Use Devastate since it procs Sword and Board.

If you're AOE tanking, que cleaves, and use tclap and shockwave, while still using Shield Block and Revenge when they're up. Cleave is great, and even better if you have the glyph for it.

If you're single tanking something, have heroic strike que'd if you have the extra rage. There's a chart on this site that shows priority in the tanking rotation, so try to look for it since it will help.

edit: Just checked your toon, and you need a better weapon. Run heroic UP everyday for the Red Sword since it will be a nice upgrade.

Blue
03-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Wow, great gear, for just having started tanking a couple of weeks ago! Grats, on that!

My advice is to swap some of the stam, for expertise, and maybe some agility. And, finish those enchants...it's a balancing act, once you get your def cap, I know...

As to your question about keeping threat on multiple mobs...it's going to mean rounding them up, and tying them in a bow, for the dps to mow down. If you are in 5-man setting, it's absolutely imperative that you group knows to give you a few seconds to establish threat, before they open up. Tell them to wait for the "big boom" (your TC), for instance, and then be sure to use that, after you gather them to you, SW them, and throw in a dev or two. Get glyph of devaste, or sunder, or maybe both... You will still maybe have one mob (there's always one, eh?) drop you, to go after someone, but you can target them, and taunt, without chasing them, if you catch it, in time. If you have gotten that "headstart" with a pull, or a charge, it shouldn't be an issue, usually. If it's a certain mob doing it every time, though, perhaps that's the one that should be targeted to die first? Concentrated fire is a beautiful thing...! Also, have someone in the group charged with picking up those strays...it's a group effort, and things can go wrong, for a number of reasons.

One thing...if a caster won't come to you, you can pull, then go out of line-of-sight (LOS), and they will come, or you can target them momentarily, give them a heroic throw and a taunt, and most of the time they will forget to cast, and come join you!

All in all, you have the gear, you just need to learn the moves, and that just takes practice. Good luck!

Edit: I also noticed the weapon...it's too slow, you want a faster one...red sword of courage, sword of jin, or there's a nice axe, from H-Occ...a few others...