PDA

View Full Version : to many chiefs...

Swam
03-08-2009, 01:02 AM
when i helped build my current guild i was very excited, i had never raided prior to wotlk and was eager to try it out. the guild was small and i worked hard to learn raid tanking and the new raids. after several weeks of building a raiding team my guild leader decided to start raiding with us, he had been a pvper but didnt like the way his class worked in pvp after the expansion. at first he was a great asset, but after i taught him the fights problems arose.
from the start i had been designated as the raid leader, now every time there is a hicup, from scheduleing to loot to personality conflict, he steps in and starts telling everyone how things should be done. i know he is the guild leader but he put me in charge of raiding and he is screwing everything up with him meddeling, what is a good way to deal with this?

jettzypher
03-08-2009, 01:50 AM
/gquit? sure, he put you in charge of something, but since hes the guild leader, he still has the final say on everything. i honestly dont see the problem. seems more like youre gettin your feelings hurt cause hes doin his job...

Satrina
03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Talk to him instead of us?

Seämore
03-10-2009, 05:27 AM
yup.. should be talking about it with him..... that fails..... then /gquit :p

DukeGemlec
03-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Ask your guildleader if he/she doesn't think your doing a good job as raidleader.
If for some reason that should be the problem then ask what you can do better!
Ask for a chance to solve the raid related problems yourself and if needed you call the guildleader for the final say.

The guildleader has the highest say in all matters concerning the guild. On the other hand if a responsibility is given for a specific duty such as raidleading, you should be given the chance to lead in those situations. A good leader devides the duties between the officers and watch them do there work. Only if something is very wrong he/she steps in and have a final say...

orcstar
03-13-2009, 02:08 AM
Keep your cool. Always keep your cool.

Most important in raiding is that the raiders trust the one who is leading them makes the right decision and if they stick with him, the dungeon will be cleared.
Now I don't know if the guildleader comes in with tactics, but one thing I do is to urge every to help and give suggestions.....................................in whispers. I don't want 6-7 people screaming on a ventrillo channel, all saying something different. That just confusing.
If your guildleader wants to meddle with the loot? Well let him. Masterlooting is something I don't like :P

Rasberry1
03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I had a similar problem. My GM is a very nice but until recently he wasn't on much.

I had left the guild earlier this year. Alot of the old officers had had some sort of fight and jumped servers and I didn't feel like drama. And the guild went from 3rd highest rated on the server to .... blah.

Well I came back to the guild because I switched to a high end raiding guild that was very effective - but very boring - no friendships all business - no talking during raiding etc. I know that works for some - but honstly to me it felt like going to work.

When I joined I asked if I could become a recruiter for the guild. Positive response - promotion to class leader and free reign to bring in recruits! I immediately started recruiting and have currently pulled in 40/denied 10. Also set up informal mergers with 3 other guilds to bring their better geared people in for 25 man content.

Everything was going well - I organized the raids on the calendar and in the month's time went from a guild that infrequently had a 10 man raid a week. To a guild that has 2 10 man Naxx teams, 2 OS Teams (plus one drake), and completed EOE, and cleared first two wings of 25 man Naxx, 10/25 vault, and 25 OS.

Well, during all this my GM would occasionally ask something or question my decisions (and I got annoyed) but then I realized he was feeling left out. He is a great guild leader and just wanted to be included in the process - and deferred to a bit - after all, its his guild!

So I did - I asked his opinion on new recruits, asked his opinion for scheduling of raids, asked his opinion about everything = result he's happy AND I got some great advice. Some of the things he wanted changed were valid points and when WE implemented them they resulted in better raid scheduling.

My point is - give him a chance! Honestly - if he promoted you then he's obviously a smart GM!

Swam
03-16-2009, 03:38 AM
as it turns out he was feeling a bit left out of raid control, as i said he had gone from pvp god of the guild to pve nobody. thanks for all the help, things are working much better!

Wyleai
04-02-2009, 01:20 PM
As a long time guild GM my strategy to work through this is that I set goals for my officers.

I also give them frameworks and philosophies under which to perform. For my raid leader, I made a long post stating the guild's philosophy and goals in gearing up everyone as a frameworks around which he could then justify his loot policy.

For recruitment, I have a vision of my guild, and I've put it out there for the guildies to see. That of course also lets me raid leader know what sorts of members he will have to deal with in building raids.

And to that end, I've set out goals on who we want raiding. I tell my raid leader I want us to be doing regular 10-persons, or 2 10-persons, or a 25, and that everyone who wants to raid and is able to show up should have a fair chance at it, but then leave him to set up how he will fill the slots.

Point: GM needs to try not to micro manage. But rather to set overall visions.
Officers need to manage their areas, and try not to reach out into the overall vision or the territory of other officers.

- all of which needs to be done with regular and active communication among them.