PDA

View Full Version : Switched from Ret to Prot

Xoui
03-05-2009, 08:55 PM
So as the title says I recently switched from Retribution spec to a Protection spec since the haterade on ret paladins (no guild so trouble getting groups) got out of control. I think I've done pretty well considering I don't have a guild, but all I've been able to get into so far are 10 man and 25 man vault raids.

I have tanked several heroics successfully and am confident enough in my skill, but I was still concerned about my gear. I tried to join a Naxxramas raid a couple weeks ago and the raidleader thought that I wouldn't quite be able to do Patchwerk as OT so he told me I better not come. I was still half retribution geared at the time so I don't blame him at all for saying no, but I'm still not sure if I have upgraded enough.

So Tankspot, after the last couple of upgrades I've received I'd like to get your guys' opinions on what raids I should be able to join.

Here is my armory: The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Xoui)

Also if anyone can suggest something I can get from heroics feel free.

Thanks

solocommand
03-06-2009, 11:59 AM
To be honest, it looks to me like you are geared for more or less any 10 or 25 man content... a few of your items are better than my tank set, and ive had no problems tanking any content so far, except maybe sarth3d.

headknocker
03-06-2009, 12:37 PM
General comments:
- Need to max out 1h weapon specialization. Hammer of justice, rec, stoicism all less useful.
- I'd switch your chestpiece. Its lots of stam, but no strength and no defense/avoidance stats.

Welcome to the wonderful world of tanking.

Xoui
03-06-2009, 03:25 PM
To be honest, it looks to me like you are geared for more or less any 10 or 25 man content... a few of your items are better than my tank set, and ive had no problems tanking any content so far, except maybe sarth3d.

Good to hear, thanks!

General comments:
- Need to max out 1h weapon specialization. Hammer of justice, rec, stoicism all less useful.
- I'd switch your chestpiece. Its lots of stam, but no strength and no defense/avoidance stats.

Yeah I only respec'd once and I kind of had pvp in mind so I don't mind losing those talents you mentioned. And I have my Wyrmrest tabard on to get rep so I can buy the breastplate from them until I can get one from heroic points or a raid.

Xoui
03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh and another thing I was thinking about, since I am at about 552 defense right now (546 if I take off the defense trinket) should I upgrade to the Valor Medal of the First War - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40683) or should I continue down the defense road with Seal of the Pantheon - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36993) ?

Hildale
03-07-2009, 05:18 AM
Hello Xoui!

I do not know you guilds progression or anything but by the looks on your gear your are not that far yet in 10/25 man content. (Just by looking at the gear)
I am a pure PvE player and I say my thoughts about it from a PvE perspective.

It seems like you are trying to stack stamina little bit too much, I'd say that 25k health unbuffed should do it and then try to jam the avoidence up instead.
Of course when you have a pretty decent avoidence again you could stack the stamina up.
From your question about switching the trinket from the Seal of the Pantheon one to Valor Medal of the First War, I say yes! Go ahead and get that very nice pre naxx avoidence trinket.

Of course this is all about your role as tank but generally I'd say that avoidence is a better stat to go for than stamina to a certain point, aswell as different fights of course. But from the looks of your progression I belive avoidence is a better stat to fight for.

Good luck in the tank world m8! :)

headknocker
03-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Trinket wise, I would pick up laventhor's talisman (h vh) essense of gossamer (h an) and valor medal (badge). One of the better avoidance/mitigation combos is valor/laventhor's which is particularly useful for quick heroic runs. Swap in gossamer for any magic heavy fights and most raids.

Xoui
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Wow, I didn't even know a block trinket existed! I'm definitely gonna have to pick that one up. I already have the 111sta trinket from AN so I'm all set there.

Got my wyrmrest bp today too so after I enchant I should be right around 27k health.

Xoui
03-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Gave Violet Hold a couple tries to get the block trinket but no luck there yet. I did however get the dodge trinket from heroism badges, as well as a sword from utgarde keep with defense on it. Sitting at 20.38% dodge, 17.55% parry, 17.81% block. Currently trying to get the + block rating shoulders from Gundrak but no luck there either.

Anyone have another suggestion for something I could farm?

headknocker
03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Tier 7 gloves, regular OS or badges
Tier 7 chest, badges/Naxx
Tanking ring from last boss of h DK
Keep grinding for your red sword.
Pug Arch whenever Wintergrasp is up
When in doubt, my badge grind was h uk, h nexus, h dtk, h vh which could generally be done in 3-4hrs (less as you got used to it) and yielded 12-16 badges/day

Akeber
03-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Personally I'm not a fan of skipping Kings and SotP in holy just to get the "zomg i can run 15% faster". If you really think you need a speed boost put Tuskarr's on your boots, use the talent points elsewhere.

I use this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZaxVAMuMteIRGoxo)

I like the reduced stun duration on HoJ for the interrupt, so i put my last two points there, but you can put those two points anywhere else.

Xoui
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Woo, got my block trinket today so now I'm rockin 26k health, 23k armor and 70% avoidance!

headknocker
03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Grats. Given where the rest of your gear is, I'd just save your badges for the T7 chest then the gloves while you grind for your sword. You'll polish your gear as you do more, but broadly you should feel comfortable entering any heroic/10man content now. Some will be a bit hard at your level of gear, but for the most part, you've crossed the chasm and can get down to the proper business of tanking :-).

Minor point, the current theorycraft would say that you'll get more return in terms of threat/dps from Seal of the Pure than conviction. By moving those 3 points and 1 point from judgement to SotP you'll probably get a bigger return.

Xoui
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
That is a good suggestion, since I really just put the points there because I didn't really know where to put them and I usually use Seal of Wisdom when I solo so I didn't think SotP was that good. If I switch the points to SotP, what seal should I use?

solocommand
03-12-2009, 04:33 AM
That is a good suggestion, since I really just put the points there because I didn't really know where to put them and I usually use Seal of Wisdom when I solo so I didn't think SotP was that good. If I switch the points to SotP, what seal should I use?

Use Seal of Vengeance with SotP at least for boss fights. Seal of Righteousness might be better for trash as you won't generally get the stacking effect that causes SoV to be better. Or Wisdom, if mana is an issue on trash pulls.