PDA

View Full Version : Viable set?

Scumby
03-04-2009, 06:36 AM
I'm still sort of experimenting with tanking, so please deal with me...
I've built two sets(chanted and gemmed)...

1st The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eitrigg&n=Scumby)
def: 542
dodge: 19.60
parry: 19.43
block: 38.43
hit: 157

2nd

def: 543
dodge: 20.65
parry: 20.44
block: 27.80
hit: 157

So what I'm getting at it...which set is better? why? and what can be improved?

veneretio
03-04-2009, 08:57 AM
The 1st set is better for trash while the 2nd is slightly better for bosses. In general, it seems like you're pursuing Block Rating too much. I'd try to create a 3rd set that focuses less on block and more on Dodge.

All that said, you're not listing your Armor or Stamina which are both massive factors towards how your gear yourself. In fact, they're probably the 2 most important things to talk about. You're also missing Expertise in your sets too which for a Warrior is just better than Hit.

Scumby
03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Having a shield wouldn't it be more important to have a higher block rating than dodge? Is there diminishing return on block? Is there any use for parry? And what would be good numbers to aim for a warrior?

btw stamina on both sets is around 28.5k armor on first is 23.6k and second is 23.3k

sorry about all the questions...but I'm thirsty for knowledge

shiz98
03-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Having a shield wouldn't it be more important to have a higher block rating than dodge?
Think of it this way: dodge/parry scales with boss damage, and block does not. To use a simplification, let's say 1% dodge is 1% less damage taken (which isn't too far off, thanks to DR). Block, on the other hand, simply removes a static amount of damage. Depending on how hard a mob hits, it could be 2% less damage taken, or it could be 0.1% less damage taken.

Let's take a boss that does, say 10k damage every 3s. That 1% dodge takes off 100 damage per hit, on average. For 1% block to take off 100 damage per hit on average, you'd need 10k block value.

The harder a mob hits, the better dodge/parry gets, and the worse block gets. Think of it like a block for whatever the next attack's damage is. If the boss does 20k damage per hit instead of 10k, the 1% dodge does as much good as 1% block with 20k block.

On the other hand, when stuff hits fast and for small amounts, block becomes better - if you're blocking for 90% of a mob's total damage, block becomes nearly as good as dodge. This is why you use the block set on trash mobs: they usually hit weakly, so block will be more effective since you get more of it.

Scumby
03-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you. Now its starting to make sense

shiz98
03-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Just a note, I realized I had accidentally said "dodge" instead of "block" in that last sentence. It should read "This is why you use the block set on trash mobs: they usually hit weakly, so block will be more effective since you get more of it."