PDA

View Full Version : Defense and Defense Rating

[Ramshackle]
03-03-2009, 04:50 PM
So I'm sitting here looking at gear and then it occurs to me that I have possible been misleading myself in the hunt for 540 defense. My question is, what is the difference between Defense and Defense Rating and how do they relate to each other since some things add Defense Rating and others add just Defense. How much Defense Rating does it take to equal 1 point of Defense. If this has been posted somewhere that I've missed please link me, I don't mind being told I'm dumb for overlooking it. :o

Here's My Armory and unfortunately I neglected to equip my Titansteel Destroyer before I logged off. I do have the Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle on it as well as my Sigil which procs every time that I use Icy Touch. All in all, with the Sigil active, I am sitting some where around 543 Defense if I remember right. I know that if I replace the wrist piece my Defense will go up, I'm just trying to figure out how much, and what else I need to look at replacing.

veneretio
03-03-2009, 04:55 PM
4.92 Defense Rating = 1 Defense Skill

You need 689 Defense Rating (566 Defense Rating with Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle on your weapon) to reach 540 Defense Skill.

This number should be always on you. Relying on an Icy Touch proc is not ideal. Yes, initially getting to 540 Defense is very challenging for a DK and you're probably going to have to Enchant, Gem and wear High defense/Blue gear to maintain it, but you need to do it.

[Ramshackle]
03-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Short and straight to the point. Much appreciated!

[Ramshackle]
03-04-2009, 04:53 AM
Another thought, why is it so much higher for a Death Knight? Isn't that the point of using the stoneskin rune? Why would they make that run to help us get to the cap, and yet make the cap so much higher for us to reach? To me, it seems like a fairly pointless enchant if it's doing so little to help.

Armstrong
03-04-2009, 06:14 AM
;187803']Another thought, why is it so much higher for a Death Knight?

It's not "higher for a Death Knight". All classes start out with 400 Defense Skill naked at level 80, and no class has any way to gain "free" Defense via talents. From there it's a combination of gear, gems and enchants that needs to add up to an additional 140 Defense skill.

This used to be more difficult for Death Knights to achieve because they don't have access to the defense from a shield enchant and the defense from a range slot item. Patch 3.0.8 fixed that disparity with Rune of Stoneskin Gargoyle (and to some extent the new tanking sigil).

[Ramshackle]
03-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I misunderstood, pardon my mistake. That's what happens when the brain isn't fully functional at 5:30 in the morning. I read the 566 Defense Rating as just pure Defense, and thus was confused again.