PDA

View Full Version : Loot system.. Ran out of ideas...

rans0m00
03-02-2009, 10:51 AM
My guild has just got into running 25s(about 3 weeks) but we cant fill a 25 yet... So we end up getting about 8 pugs... We have been doing a 1 main 1 tier roll... Have been told its like suicide kings... The problem we are having is people are rolling on things they don't need and trying to roll OS on everything(solved that this week)... Basically what I'm asking is if there is a good loot system besides the one we are using that would work with guild and pugs? Our runs are going pretty good but the loot situation is leaving almost everyone angry at the end... We want to do a dkp but how can you really do a dkp when you have to pug and its not the same pugs coming back every week... Anyways if anyone knows of a good loot system that could work in the situation we have it would be very appreciated.

kolben
03-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Any loot system should be about performing a specific function. For example, DKP is typically used to encourage very high attendance in content where there is a lot of wiping and repair/consumable cost. Loot council is typically used with the intent of giving upgrades to the people who need them most.

With pickups, you aren't going to do yourself any favors at all by trying to have DKP. First of all, the pickups are the reason you got your raid going in the first place so not rewarding them with equal opportunity at loot is just very bad form and possibly dishonest. The purpose behind loot council would not serve you because you would need to award loot to the pickups to be fair, and you may never see them again.

A simple main spec/off -spec roll system is the only sane way to handle loot in a situation like yours.

rans0m00
03-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Thats what I think we are stuck with has just turned into a headache on many fronts so was hoping there was a better option I just hadn't heard of

Argamasilla
03-02-2009, 02:53 PM
We start each 25 man pug raid off the same way.

"Loot rules, #1; don't be a loot whore."
"In case rule #1 fails, the following rules apply"
"#2, Only 1 item per person per boss, Tier rolls first."
- Yes, I know two tanking items dropped, but you can win both. If you roll and win, you can't roll on the next piece. Choose carefully which piece is more important to you. Sure, you can not roll and we will open it to off-spec, but it would be a shame for the off-spec pally healer to get that chest piece because all the tanks waited to roll on the tanking ring; No, you can't have the tier piece because you are the only warrior/hunter/shamen and still roll against the druid and DK for the tanking ring, see rule #1.

"#3, Main spec is your primary raid function. Main spec's roll for the appropriate item first. The highest roller, who has not already won something, gets the item."

Yes, if no one rolls against you, and you already won something you can still have it for your main spec., please make sure its an upgrade reference rule #1

DukeGemlec
03-03-2009, 06:20 AM
I like the ideas Argamasilla is mentioning. Basically dont be a loot whore!
In my guild we use those kind of rules with a loot master. Fortunally we are a mature guild who don't act like vultures over each good drop. Main spec goes before Off-spec. Loot just for your own sake to DE or sell is not accepted on epic items.
Since all contribute to the raid but no one really needs the item we consider DE and placed in gb to be the only fair solution. That way all guildmembers can benefit from it in one way or the other.

If you have pugs into the raid they have to abied by your loot rules as a raid group. So its important to have them set up properly. If they complain they can just leave and join someone else. You as a guild dont want to deal with the problems that might occur anyway.

Thulldar
03-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I started with "dont be a loot whore" when doing this. It worked OK. Lately I've been doing this:

1) Loot is priority to the spec you are raiding as, priority to those who have gotten fewer loots than you. Other than that, highest roll wins.

2) Offspec loots are free rolls, and do not count for your loot count on main spec

You will need a mod to track loots, probably. I use Headcount. The system works because the least geared players roll early, and get to sponge the drops nobody wants. The best geared players get that trinket / 2H weapon that is all they want, because they have priority when it drops.

By the time a Betrayer of Humanity drops, the scrub DK doing 2K DPS has already taken a random assortment of pants, belts, gloves, etc, and the amazing 4k DPS ret paladin who didn't need any of that stuff gets what he wanted instead of losing the roll to said DK and getting screwed.

Works good for me, hope some of that helps you out.

LokÝCea
03-06-2009, 06:08 AM
We are sort of going through same problem in my guild. We have some drop priority and that is Tanks/Healers have priority on tier to get them maxed as you cannot raid with a weak tank/healer, but a dps can get away with it if we carrying someone doing low dps for example.

If i do pug ppl to 25 man raids i do give them a chance to roll also.

If 2 tank items drop and only one tank needs both and others do not i give the tank both items as i see no point letting ppl roll against tanks for OS if tanks can make themselves better taking for MS and most of guild aknowledge this, same as i wont let a tank roll for Armageddon for example when dps want it.

I also have the rule if you roll and win a item, you may roll again, but if another person rolls lower than you but hasnt had a drop then they are entitled to it. Last 25 man naxx raid 19 people came out with loot.

But sadly, as the saying goes... you can please some of the people some of the time, but never all the people all of the time.

The real raiders wont headache you at loot, the loot whores always rise to the surface though and if they leave your guild etc due to it, then your better off without them anyway and they are replacable.

rans0m00
03-06-2009, 09:55 AM
The final run down is going to have to stick with the same loot system till we recruit enough to where we can dkp. We will try to do it by who needs it most but that takes alot of time to do alot of comparing so we shall see. To Lokicea in the start we gave prior. rolls to tanks and healers and now we are stuck running with tanks and healers that are ulduar ready but dps that is barely 25 man naxx ready. Enrage timers ftl. Have started playing with Headcount for the future.