PDA

View Full Version : Min/Maxing Prot Warrior

Blarkap
02-28-2009, 02:43 AM
So I have a warrior tank. He's my main toon, he was my first toon, and hes been a tank since VanCleef. I've recently turned myself toward raid tanking and with that comes the idea of min/maxing. Now I've never had issue with holding threat and I've always been able to carry even terribad healers through some tough fights, but I still dont understand exactly how to min/max. Do I want to concentrate on avoidance primarily? Should I be stacking mitigation instead of dodge? Is it acceptable to take a drop in dodge or armor to get a decent amount of hit or expertise? What are the standard numbers I'm looking to reach?

Heres my armory link:
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cairne&n=Blarkap)

I have a bank full of tank gear that I've picked up from heroics/ badges/ 10 mans, so my issue isn't getting gear, its just figuring out which gear to use... I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Ariedan
02-28-2009, 02:50 AM
For the most part, you're going to want to achieve a balance in your stats, while setting aside gear for different types of gear for specific encounters (an EH set, an avoidance set, a threat set). So far, it looks like you've really got the idea of it. You're defense crit-capped, you have a healthy health pool, your avoidance is shiny, and you're almost dodge expertise-capped. Your hit's a little lacking, but that can be fixed with a couple of different types of pieces. Honestly, it looks like you have a firm understanding of how to itemize, so I'm not really sure what advise you're looking for. :P

Blarkap
02-28-2009, 03:05 AM
I suppose the question would be "Where are warriors supposed to be kick ass?" Druids have crazy health pools, DKs hold threat crazy well and have real decent magic resistance, Pallys have great AoE threat talents and and have nice surviability talents. So bears gear stam and dodge, pallys gear def and SBV, and DKs gear spell power (lol). So what are warriors supposed to gear in? Are we meant to be balenced tanks across the board who are able to gear for any situation? Or do we have a niche that we fit in as well that i should be gearing towards? To clarify: Are there specific stats within the "tanking stat world" that warriors need to focus on because they lend better to our talents?

Erryl
02-28-2009, 04:40 AM
and DKs gear spell power (lol).

I most certainly pray that you're kidding.

Blarkap
02-28-2009, 08:58 AM
I most certainly pray that you're kidding.

Oh yeah. I figured the "lol" was enough there. Never had a low level DK decide that he needed pally plate before?