PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior looking for some advice.

Reins
02-27-2009, 09:20 AM
New tank here, just dinged 80 last week and I've been working towards putting together my gear so I can comfortably do Heroics and perhaps Naxx when I'm a little more experienced. I've gotten a lot of good ideas of what I need from the guides but I've sort of hit a wall now and a little confused as to what to improve on. The two Heroics I've been through, UK and Nexus, went rather well except for a few wipes in Nexus due to me not knowing the battles.

Here's my Armory I'm over the defense cap now and I'm not sure if I should sacrifice a gem slot for more dodge/parry or stamina, they seem to be low to me. I'm also a little unsure of what gear I should be aiming to get or what I should replace first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Grumsh
02-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Looking pretty good. A couple of suggestions:

1. Get better trinkets. Essence of the Gossamer (http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?item=37220) drops from Heroic Azjol, and Seal of the Pantheon (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36993) drops from Loken in reg HoL. This will boost your effective health, which is your #1 concern right now.

2. Start asking for some OT invites to 10man, and do plague and arachnid quarter. OT in those quarters is more about mechanics than gear in my opinion, you have to be able to deal with adds. You'll learn the bosses and pick up some loot at the same time.

Construct quarter would be tough for you until you get more stam.

Zed
02-27-2009, 12:15 PM
In addition to Gurmsh suggesting in trinkets, I would also suggest a new ring to replace that green one. Keystone drops off the last boss in H Drak, and since you dont have a defense issue, that is a great source of dodge.

Also, Id get revered with the wyrmrest accord as they have 3 excellent tanking pieces, that would upgrade your current stuff ( i would argue the boots Sabatons are way better than titansteal due to the higher defense and the hit rating)

Also, you should look for more hit and expertise rating. This will make a huge difference in your TPS if you're hitting all the time. I recommend Gauntlets for expertise out of H Gun'drak

Oh yea... you need a lot more stam

Ferag
02-28-2009, 08:23 PM
You can upgrade your helmet with Tempered Titansteel Helm (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41387) for a bit of money, it will last you a very long time. If you get a hat with a meta socket, shove Austere Earthsiege Diamond (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41380) into it, it makes a good deal of difference.

For reputation, work on your Wyrmrest Accord rep, that'll give you a very nice Cloak (Honored), Boots and Chest (both Revered). If you bring your Argent Crusade rep up to Honored (very easy to attain), you can buy some better legplates than your current ones.

A very nice piece of gear that I found was the epic tanking legs from Heroic Violet Hold. The instance is nicely short and easy and it should be a fairly simple piece to pick up. There is a nice block value trinket that drops in Heroic Violet Hold as well. If you're running heroics and getting emblems I would pick up the belt Waistguard of Living Iron (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40689(40) Emblems) or the neck Chained Military Gorget (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40679) (25 Emblems) first, it depends on the drops you get in heroics.

On the topic of heroics, an extremely nice tanking weapon drops in Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle from the last boss, and on the way to the last boss there's a decent belt that drops from Skadi the Ruthless.

Try to pick up the trinkets mentioned above, they'll be massive upgrades for you, and if you have 40 Emblems floating around you can grab Valor Medal of the First War (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40683) which is another nice trinket choice.

My best advice to gearing is run a lot of instances. Even if you don't get the gear you want, you'll get experience tanking and Emblems if it's a heroic.

TL;DR
Wyrmrest Accord rep: Cloak, Boots, Chest
Argent Crusade rep: Legs
Blacksmith: Head
Heroic VH: Legs, Trinket
Heroic UP: Waist, Weapon
Emblems: Waist/Neck, Trinket

Sorry for long post.

Whitegold
02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
The advice given is good. I strongly recommend Tempered Titansteel Helm, too. It has a meta AND a Blue slot. I also recommend getting to revered with Argent Crusade after Wyrmrest. It's not that hard to do with the quests around and the dailies. They give a head enchant that's 30 stamina and 20 defense (from memory) and well and truly the best for tanking.

With gems and enchants you can get to around about 250 stamina on your headpiece alone. :) Titansteel prices are rock-bottom at the moment (100g on my server) so they're worth doing.

As another option to the Waistguard of Living Iron, consider the Icebane Girdle - Icebane Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43587). While the frost resist is kind of a waste and it has no defense, it has a huge amount of stamina and 3 sockets (with Eternal Belt Buckle).

I'd agree that OT in Naxx is a good idea. There are several good zone drops (bracers and neck) that are easily obtained, and if you go with a regularly attending group you may well roll for them uncontested. That's even aside from the boss loot (the first boss drops an epic tanking ring).

Lastly, I'd suggest Heroic Drak'Tharon. I wanted to gear up a newly dinged OT, and we took him through DT. In a very fast half hour run we had - Boots, waist, chest, and epic ring drop. All are easily Naxx-ready standard. That lucky a run is rare (and awesome) but even one or two of these items is a nice upgrade.

Petninja
02-28-2009, 09:25 PM
As another option to the Waistguard of Living Iron, consider the Icebane Girdle - Icebane Girdle - Item - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=43587). While the frost resist is kind of a waste and it has no defense, it has a huge amount of stamina and 3 sockets (with Eternal Belt Buckle).

That's a lot of money to pay for an item that is essentially a glorified green belt of stamina. A lot of the item budget on that is going towards the frost resist. Don't buy frost resist gear for a regular tanking set. I believe Skadi in H UP drops a decent belt if one is needed. I can't remember which, but there should be an epic drop from one of the heroics as well if you really feel the need to wear purple before trying naxx (it's tuned the same as heroics).

Arkaen
03-01-2009, 12:02 PM
You should get rep with Wyrmrest Accord, The Argent Crusade, and the Sons of Hodir.

Gear I would recommend early on would be the Bolstered Legplates from H VH, the Arcane Shielded Helm from H Nexus, Horn Tipped Gauntlets from H Gun'Drak, The Keystone Greatring from H Drak'Tharon, The Unsmashable Heavy Band from H UK, the Chained Military Gorget from 25 Emblems of Heroism, etc.

Spec-wise, after 3.1 hits, I'd imagine taking points out of cruelty for Imp. Disciplines so you can get a 1 min Shield Wall. Not certain on the usefulness of that, though.

Reins
03-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all the tips everyone, I picked up the trinket from reg HoL last night and tonight is the usual guild group for Heroics so I'm hoping to get a lot of upgrades. I'm already Revered with the Argent Crusade and I should be hitting Revered with the Sons of Hodir today, Wyrmrest is my main priority though. Right now I'm just looking to run the Heroics so I can get some experience and a good set of gear, our guild has talked about Naxx but we're waiting for a few people to ding 80.

Since I'm now well over the 540 defense minimum should I replace some of my defense gems with stamina or wait until I replace the armor to regem? I also picked up Eternally Folded Blade in HoL, would it be better than what I'm currently using Infantry Assault Blade now that I have more defense and for the fact that the first sword is a bit faster than what I use now. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking too much now.

Updated Armory Link

Ferag
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Speed on weapons doesn't make much of a difference anymore, especially with using Deep Wounds as prot, or so I believe I read somewhere on this site.

I would replace your gems with Stamina ones if I were you, as your health is still very low, but your number one priority is still just to find upgrades (mainly found in heroics). I still highly recommend getting the Tempered Titansteel Helm off a blacksmith, shouldn't be too expensive, especially if you mine.

Whitegold
03-02-2009, 05:45 PM
That's a lot of money to pay for an item that is essentially a glorified green belt of stamina. A lot of the item budget on that is going towards the frost resist.
Yes, but so glorified! :D

Thing is "a lot of money" is a relative thing. I'm a miner/blacksmith, so I had the mats pretty much on-hand. Cost me basically nothing. As to the wasted item budget, yes, this is true. But it had a fair bit of budget to start with (ilevel of 213, by contrast to the 200 of the Waistguard of Living Iron).

The Waistguard takes time to get 40 emblems (and could they be used for something better) and Skadi's belt isn't exactly low hanging fruit either. Personally I'm lucky to get in a heroic or two a week, so farming a single item is impractical. The Ice belt, though, is very attainable.

YMMV, of course, but my point wasn't that it's the best, but that it's a reasonable option.

Deathmaul
03-03-2009, 06:24 AM
have great tanking gloves when u get exalted with them :)