PDA

View Full Version : Protection Paladin Defense stats and gems

Asrael
02-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Hello, Well here is the thing, my pally has been handling very well on raid runs i can easly OT 25 naxx and MT 10 man no problem at all, but i want to improve my defense stats - get my avoidance capped and start stacking some stamina for progression.

Here is my char

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rivendare&n=Mijaelus)

Am not sure if i should get the: (+8 parry and +12 stamina) or (+8 dodge and +12 stamina) on the red sockets or leave the +16 strength on them or maybe get some orange ones for other stat combinations.

As you can see I could really use some help.

manatank
02-26-2009, 04:15 PM
"get my avoidance capped"

What do you mean by that? Unhittable? 102.4% avoidance?

shieg
02-26-2009, 11:19 PM
hey i checked your link and you should most likely go with dodge rating dodge rating at least used to go towards uncrushable and defense rating is uncrittable in pve, as well as you should rethink a couple of your talents. reckoning is definitely a must over 1 handed weapon specialization because when you do the math most pally attacks arent huge burst type and 10% is not very much when dealing with the numbers you have and reckoning will allow faster application of vengeance stacks and if your tanking multiple mobs thats faster stacking on all of them. divine strength isnt needed as your tanking with holy damage you only need enough strength for your blocks to fully negate damage from mobs. and the mellee attack speed reducing talent of your judgements, prot paladins get a large amount of their threat from holy shields blocking if you lower the attack speed you drop the threat gain from holy shield, stoicism is much more pvp than pve and many of the points youve used in some at least imo worthless abilities could go into ret for benediction which lowers the cost of pretty much everything youll be doing and i at least invested points into heart of the crusader as when you do the calculation 3% crit for the whole raid if you figure 20 classes in a 25 man are hitting at a rate of at least 1 hit every 2 seconds several classes more, then in a 5 minute boss fight your buff alone attributed for 30 crits that would not have happened were that debuff from your judgements not there. seeing as many crits are double damage then thats 30 extra attacks released in 5 mins purely because of you. how many times have u been at 1% or 2-3% and wipe well that 1-3% would be gone most likely if you had that talent. though all in all you look like youve got some pretty nice stats no clue why your bothing being an ot looks to me like your capped in both dodge and defense, also dont worry too much about parry imo as at least when i was running karazhan your focus as prot is dodge and block and in the prince fight and im sure theres more fights now in wotlk a parry made prince counter with consecutive crushing blows so parrying imo shouldnt be a focus.

headknocker
02-27-2009, 02:58 AM
So the easiest stat for you to stack to get to block capped (no normal hits) would be block rating. It tends to be heavy on the tier gear for pallys so check into some tier pieces. Your unbuffed Stam is basically fine for any content. Yes you can gem slightly differently and break 30k, but its not necessary for any content atm. Focus on getting your block up and your dodge up. Don't gem for parry as its an expensive stat.

Some things I want to correct from the above post. Do not give up 1 handed weapon specialization. Putting some points in rec is OK, but not worth giving up the increase in total damage/threat you get from 1h.

Divine strength is also a must have talent. A 15% increase in strength is massive for both threat and mitigation. Since all of our damage scales to AP and SP and AP is cheaper to stack, stack it.

Judgement of the just is also a must have talent. Forget the threat point above (which is also wrong) it is a 20% damage mitigation on melee. Holy shield should not be a meaningful component of your threat except on pulls with >3 and slow hitting mobs (fast hitting mobs will exhaust the charges anyway).

Benediction isn't a recommended talent either as if you're not getting enough heals to recharge your mana, you're not pulling enough mobs.

Akeber
02-27-2009, 09:30 AM
hey i checked your link and you should most likely go with dodge rating dodge rating at least used to go towards uncrushable and defense rating is uncrittable in pve, as well as you should rethink a couple of your talents. reckoning is definitely a must over 1 handed weapon specialization because when you do the math most pally attacks arent huge burst type and 10% is not very much when dealing with the numbers you have and reckoning will allow faster application of vengeance stacks and if your tanking multiple mobs thats faster stacking on all of them. divine strength isnt needed as your tanking with holy damage you only need enough strength for your blocks to fully negate damage from mobs. and the mellee attack speed reducing talent of your judgements, prot paladins get a large amount of their threat from holy shields blocking if you lower the attack speed you drop the threat gain from holy shield, stoicism is much more pvp than pve and many of the points youve used in some at least imo worthless abilities could go into ret for benediction which lowers the cost of pretty much everything youll be doing and i at least invested points into heart of the crusader as when you do the calculation 3% crit for the whole raid if you figure 20 classes in a 25 man are hitting at a rate of at least 1 hit every 2 seconds several classes more, then in a 5 minute boss fight your buff alone attributed for 30 crits that would not have happened were that debuff from your judgements not there. seeing as many crits are double damage then thats 30 extra attacks released in 5 mins purely because of you. how many times have u been at 1% or 2-3% and wipe well that 1-3% would be gone most likely if you had that talent. though all in all you look like youve got some pretty nice stats no clue why your bothing being an ot looks to me like your capped in both dodge and defense, also dont worry too much about parry imo as at least when i was running karazhan your focus as prot is dodge and block and in the prince fight and im sure theres more fights now in wotlk a parry made prince counter with consecutive crushing blows so parrying imo shouldnt be a focus.

There is so much misinformation in this post, I don't even know where to start. If you bothered to read it, do your best to forget it.

Headknocker's post is contains 100% correct info.

Asrael
02-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the responses, am gona stack dodge and block as much as I can till I get the 102.4% avoidance, as for my talent tree am not making any changes right now cuz its working fine, last night i got the Platinum Mesh Cloak and Waist Guard of the Tutor both of them very nice pieces, so am dropping the +20 def on Shield and getting the Titanium plating......minor changes but lets see how they work.