PDA

View Full Version : Val'anyr, Gavel of Logistical Nightmares

Maelbolgia
02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I am wondering if any raid/guild leaders have decided on how they will distribute the 40 fragments for this item. I know there are no details regarding this item, but I would imagine it will take at least 1 month to construct. We will be using zero sum dkp in our Ulduar raids, but it seems like pushing this to dkp is a bad idea since it would cause too many fragments to get split up and would encourage players to hoard dkp for fragment pieces instead of spending them on other upgrades. I haven't played wow when Naxx40 was around so I don't really know how people handled the fragmented legendary item from there.

AxLxExX
02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
When did the implement a legendary into naxx25?

Lore
02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
You decide ahead of time who's going to get it, and give them every fragment that drops. Charging DKP for it is fine and makes sense, but using DKP to decide who gets it doesn't work very well.

Gadholm
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Yep, we sat down last night and discussed who was the most active, skilled healer and they're going to get all the fragments until it is complete. They'll take a small hit on other loot, but its really a reward for the time they've already invested in the guild. You probably have mature members who'd understand the necessity of handling it in different circumstances.

Molohk
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Yeah, don't distribute the fragments individually, decide beforehand who will get the legendary and have him collect all the fragments. Do whatever you see fair: attendance requirements, etc. You might want to avoid bidding, or you'll probably have healers hoarding dkp like crazy.

If it was up to me, I'd set an attendance requirement (something like 75% during the last 3 months), a fix DKP value, and roll it off between the ppl who meet the requirements.

Alent
02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
I get the idea the fragments ~can't~ be distributed individually as they're quest items, so it's a moot point.

it really comes down to what you want to do with the quest starter... or starters.

Samanatha
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
My fellow guild leaders and I were discussion this the other day. I won't take credit for this quote, it was another officer that said "This is a legendary weapon and I think it should go to someone who has put in legendary effort for the guild."

We will be choosing one of our healers that has been around a long time and contributes more than just during a raid to improve the guild. The person that is getting these fragments will not be allowed to receive an epic weapon from Ulduar because it will obviously be replaced.

-Sam

AxLxExX
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM
just out of curiosity...is there a link for whatever you guys are talking about? I'm interested

Lore
02-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I get the idea the fragments ~can't~ be distributed individually as they're quest items, so it's a moot point.

it really comes down to what you want to do with the quest starter... or starters.

If it works like Atiesh did (and it seems to), it's the other way around. Fragments drop, once you have 40 of them you use them to make the quest starter.

Maelbolgia
02-26-2009, 02:48 PM
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/february/fragmentsvalanyr.jpg

I believe it is 40 fragments make quest item.

Alent
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
@ lore: indeed. when I looked at mmo-champ's screenshots the bottom half of the tooltips were sliced off.

For the unaware:
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/images/news/2009/february/fragmentsvalanyr.jpg

Taelas
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I wonder whether it'll be a good tanking weapon for paladins. :/ Even if it's itemized for healing.

Alent
02-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I wonder whether it'll be a good tanking weapon for paladins. :/ Even if it's itemized for healing.

Doubtful. If it's end damage is "normal caster trash" itemization, it's not going to hit anywhere near hard enough to tank with.

Satrina
02-26-2009, 03:07 PM
"This is a legendary weapon and I think it should go to someone who has put in legendary effort for the guild."
The legendary weapon will most likely be replaced in the raid instance that comes with the next content patch. People make a big deal about orange weapons, but meh.

I like how the use effect calls for 40 shattered fragments, but they're unique(30). May well be a hoax.

We'll do as we always have for these baubles: First person to win a fragment is primary on fragments until they are complete. If a fragment drops when the primary is absent, the winner becomes secondary and gets fragments only if the primary is absent. When the primary completes, the secondary becomes primary. Repeat until replaced with iLevel 239 weapon when you're still 4 fragments away and I refund your DKP out of pity.

Petninja
02-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Satrina has an orange quality eye for detail IMO. Unique (30) doesn't fit with the 40 to complete it at all. Then again... Bliz isn't famous for their consistently perfect tooltips on anything.

Alent
02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
My bet's on them copy/pasting Atiesh and modifying it into Val'anyr... and just having overlooked the "on use" tooltip.

Inaara
02-26-2009, 03:36 PM
We made an announcement that anyone who had an Atiesh would be eligible to roll for Val'anyr. Fortunately only 1 member has Atiesh so the decision was very easy.

Lizana
02-27-2009, 05:42 PM
We made an announcement that anyone who had an Atiesh would be eligible to roll for Val'anyr. Fortunately only 1 member has Atiesh so the decision was very easy.

So only people that happened to be raiding 3 years ago have a chance... a bit unfair...

I talked it over with all my officers and raiders, i let each one of them cast 3 votes for who they think should get the mace, even if that person was them. My wifes char recived the most votes, my alt the second most, our guild Healing oficer 3rd. So we let the guild decide.

Fetzie
02-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Satrina has an orange quality eye for detail IMO. Unique (30) doesn't fit with the 40 to complete it at all. Then again... Bliz isn't famous for their consistently perfect tooltips on anything.

I reckon it's more likely that blizzard do not want players on the PTR to even remotely stand a chance of getting the quest item before it goes live, even when they activate loot in ulduar, so they made the shards unique (30) to make sure.

Taelas
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Doubtful. If it's end damage is "normal caster trash" itemization, it's not going to hit anywhere near hard enough to tank with.

Well, that all depends on the damage range and the sheer amount of spellpower the weapon's gonna end up with.

Even if a differently itemized legendary of the same quality would be better, it doesn't mean Val'anyr won't be an amazing tanking weapon all the same.

Zerachiel
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I just noticed that you need fourty shards but it's unique (30).

... Did healers get screwed again or is Blizz just being indecisive again? :P

Nightdemon
02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
We'll probably do as what was done with Atiesh.

You dont bid for the shards, you bid for the final legendary item.

Therefore, when the first shard drops, you bid for the item. Up until that person gets all 40 shards, all shards are assigned to him. Rinse and repeat ^^

Petninja
02-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Qft

Mookey
03-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Abundance of tanks, abundance of dps, especially DKs... lack of dedicated healers...

Solution - legendary healing weapon. Val'anyr is restricted to Paladins, Priests, Shaman, and Druids, so it is likely to be a healing weapon. I think that Blizzard did graet job with dual specs and this item to keep good healers happy. Same thing need to be done by guild managements, and to reward most time investment and performance from dedicated healers. 40 fragments if each boss drops it (which I doubt) can take arround 1 month of raiding for single mace. Generaly... you can reward your top 4-5 healers with this mace until next content patch.

Having 40 fragments that each boss drops 1 is maybe best solution compared to RNG involved in Glaives/TF(My Guild had one tank with TF and 5 players with 1 Gar's half)

Bodasafa
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Our guild is more than likely going about it like this. Should the final weapon be true healing.

We (the management) select a pool of main healers (ones that have been and will always be healers). They all do a /roll when 3.1 drops.

Top person has rights to the first 40 frags and in turn passes on all weapon upgrades to other mains in the pool. They can win a weapon if no other main spec healer wants it before it goes to off spec.

We repeat this process down the line in order of highest roll.

Artinz
04-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I am curious what form the paladin version of the weapon will take.

If they make it a one-hander, ret paladins get screwed out of our first chance at a legendary.
(no, hand of rag doesn't count because it was only a pvp toy for a paladin since ret was not even close to viable in pve back then. A hand of rag was best given to a dps warrior or possibly a shaman if you cared about pve.)

If they make it a two-hander, prot paladins get screwed out of their first chance at a legendary.
(again, thunderfury doesn't count, even though paladins were technically capable of using it, because if you gave a thunderfury to a non-prot-warrior, your guild was notmin-maxing for pve.)

What might be interesting would be something akin to Benediction, where you can USE: switch the item between two different modes, one a high-stam, high dps, spell power one-hander, and the other a big shiny 2 handed weapon.

I can tell you right now, I am 100% certain, that this weapon will be a one-handed weapon, made for healing. It is restricted to the healing classes. The only other spec I see using this are Shadow priests, Boomkins, or Ele shamans, but only for the immense spell power it is sure to have. True, there will be a different weapon for each class, due to the itemization being different. Retadins, have no hope for DPS with this, it is not going to be a 2h weapon. As for saying that Ret or Prot have never had legendaries, Ret had Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnoros, and Thunderfury was an amazing Prot weapon. Holydins have never had any capabilities of using a legendary weapon that is viable. For Atiesh, Holydins were left out. So, healers deserve another healing weapon, and Holydins their first.

Tharr
04-01-2009, 02:55 PM
I just noticed that you need fourty shards but it's unique (30).

... Did healers get screwed again or is Blizz just being indecisive again? :P

My guess is they put it to unique 30 so noone could have any chance of getting the first part completed on ptr.

Magnarosh
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
You decide ahead of time who's going to get it, and give them every fragment that drops. Charging DKP for it is fine and makes sense, but using DKP to decide who gets it doesn't work very well.

this is, imo, the best solution. our guild uses a loot council of sorts, but we have already decided who gets every fragment. It's going to our best performing holy paladin who has missed ONE raid (for his 5 year anniversary), outperforms damn near every other healer we use, and shows an extreme amount of dedication and investment into the guild. He will get every single piece until he has the required amount. One he does, we'll probably re-evaluate our healers and decide who gets to try to build the next one.

Whitegold
04-13-2009, 06:46 AM
I have thought hard about a solution for my guild and come up with the following.

The guild will gather together, in real life, in a circle of fate by the light of blazing torches.

Our healers will individually find and choose a "champion". These will be women of unusual beauty.

A wading pool will be filled with some form of lubricant, and a wrestling match will then ensue that will determine which champion is the most powerful and which are merely pretty faces. And possibly naked.

Judges (our officers) will determine the winner of the shards by taking into account three criteria.

1. The winner of the fight
2. The physical attractiveness of the "champion".
3. Willingness to "put on a show" if you know what I'm saying

No other loot distribution system would be as fair.

Actually, I'm thinking we should adopt the same system for Naxx epics.

Ohnoto
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
My guess is they put it to unique 30 so noone could have any chance of getting the first part completed on ptr.

This

Acheronia
04-18-2009, 07:49 AM
This is what I've posted on our forums, giving the guild members the opportunity to decide how best to deal with the shards:

Val'anyr - Gavel of Ancient Kings (http://valanyr.com/)

This is the new legendary weapon that's been released with the new patch 3.1.0

I would like to suggest that we use this thread as a vote as to how we handle the shards that drop for the assembly of this weapon.

For those of you who cba to read the link: it's a mace for a healing class. You need to obtain 40 shards to assemble the mace. The shards are drops off the bosses in Ulduar. And while we haven't reached the level to do Ulduar guild runs just yet, I would like to clear this up before we do.

There's 3 ways we can deal with this and I want you to indicate option 1, 2 or 3 in your reply, and in the case of nominating someone, please give the character name you think should get all the shards. Keeping in mind that the nominated person should be someone who 1) shows dedication and commitment to the guild 2) is a healer 3) can be relied on to remain a raid healer 4) someone who you think really deserves this.

1. All healers roll on the shards.
2. We decide now on one person who we think deserve this item and all shards go to that person, until they have the mace and then we vote again on the next person.
3. We use an attendance based system to only give the shards to the healer with the highest raid attendance %

If you do not voice your opinion here, then I assume that you're happy with whatever is decided here.

Satrina
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Since the shards seem to drop every second or third boss, everyone will probably end up with it anyway.

Akeber
04-24-2009, 10:15 AM
We've had eight kills in Uldaur so far, FL and XT the first week, and we've added Razorscale, Ignis, Kologarn and Iron Council this week. Thus far we've seen one shard and it dropped from Kologarn. Does anyone else have any experience with the drop rate?

Maelbolgia
04-24-2009, 10:33 AM
We have cleared the first 7 bosses, no hard mode and haven't gotten a single fragment.

dadricvertanis
04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Got 1 shard on our first 25 man kill (FL) and haven't seen one since.

Satrina
04-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Huh, weird. We're up to six now.

dadricvertanis
04-24-2009, 10:54 AM
RNG at its finest

Tentcale
04-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Our guild had an officer meeting and had our 5 best healers roll out of 100 and whoever got the highest roll is the one that gets all the shards.

Easier imo

veneretio
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Well here's how we handled it.

1. We talked about it amongst the officers and didn't agree on much other than that we wanted healer's opinion.
2. Healers each gave us their candidates for who they thought was most likely to complete the item and whether that person was worthy of getting it.
3. We tallied the votes and 1 healer, the only healer that was an officer, was the overwhelming favourite.
4. The Top 2 healers rolled because the officer didn't feel it would get completed in their hands. The officer won the roll.
5. The officer gave the first Shard to the 2nd healer anyway despite being everyone's choice and winning the roll. /sigh

Sometimes the process is ridiculous and pointless, but what's important is that once you've figured out who's getting it that your guild is still intact. For that reason, I feel the above worked perfectly. lol :D

Akeber
04-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Sometimes the process is ridiculous and pointless, but what's important is that once you've figured out who's getting it that your guild is still intact. For that reason, I feel the above worked perfectly. lol :D

Quoted for truth.

We polled our members, had the four highest attendance healers discuss it, and in the end it went to the healer that I thought it should go to when we first started the whole process. However, everyone got to give their opinioins and no one was upset by the decision so it's a win!

Also, it was decided that the recipient of the shards will be ineligible for an Ulduar weapon upgrade before all the other healers get theirs first. No need to hand the healer that will be getting the legendary a "temporary" upgrade.

Update on our count: We Killed 5 bosses last night, had two more drop. Brings our total to 3 shards from 13 kills.

Lyco
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Our Officer ( Who happens to lead our healers and has a 100% attendance ) gets all the pieces. Spreading it out would take far to long, but the guild understands and respects it.

Rennadrel
05-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Due to it's stats, I would think that it is no doubt a Holy Paladin weapon despite the fact that it doesn't have MP5, which is fine in the long run but the amount of SP and other stats is far more important. I think it would look cooler on a T8 geared Holy pally then it would on a druid or priest :P

Mortisia
05-04-2009, 02:49 AM
After weeks of discussion we decided to do things a little differently.
We use a DKP system but felt using current DKP (earned minus spent) would encourage dkp hoarding.
We then looked at "longest served healer" but the 2 longest served were also now the least frequent raiders and as such less likely to actually be around when shards dropped.
We then looked at giving it to whoever had best output but this is subjective and changes based on healing assignments.
We then looked at attendance....

This led us to choose to use the earned DKP figure to decide.
Highest earned DKP on the raid gets the shard. Once a person gets a shard they have priority til they complete their mace. They are being charged DKP for it too.

By using the earned figure it doesnt matter if a person hoards DKP cos that figure is based purely on attendance and not whats been spent.

Still had some emo moments when the first shard dropped but tbh I dont think it matters what system a guild chooses, someone will always be unhappy xD

Lyco
05-05-2009, 02:05 PM
Simple.
Who should get it? The best and most active healer.
Luckily one of those happens to be an officer with 100% attendance. So we determined that he gets it first.

Rennadrel
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Wow, our first fragment dropped tonight and we wound up with a complete bitch fest over it. The officers agreed on two people, one being the most active holy pally and the other being a priest who also happens to be the GM's wife, both shaman healers were not allowed a shot at it because they are younger and raid less then the other candidates. Then our only druid healer got pissed off because our GM made him raid 25 man Naxx, Maly and now Ulduar because that character happens to be the better geared of his two characters in the guild who are both healers. So shit hit the fan, a few people /gquit and had an emo fit over a stupid fragment, which wound up going to the pally healer.

Martie
05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
We had all our healers roll for the fragment. No QQ, no complaining. The guy who got it (druid) is as good and dedicated as the rest of them.
I was happy when we had no discussion or yelling over it.

I asked if I could roll for offspec, though.