PDA

View Full Version : (Block Tank) Total HP??

Nspirn
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Hello, i am avidly going after being a BR/BV tank.

21.42 Dodge
18.19 Perry
34.41 Block with 1244 Blocked

Completely unbuffed including trinkets.

My Questions: What is the necessary health points for a MAIN tank in 25man naxx at the moment.

I was thinking around 28000 unbuffed including -
21.42 Dodge
18.19 Perry
34.41 Block with 1244 Blocked

Thank you,

cen1
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
I actually logged out in my block set last night.
The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dark+Iron&n=Cen)

I currently have 1500 block value unbuffed.

I really wouldn't worry about having major amounts of health in your block set, because you're most likely using it for trash, you shouldn't work out a block set to be your main tank set.

You basically want to work on getting your block rating & value as high as possible, while staying crit immune & having decent hit & expertise.

Nspirn
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Right now im DEF capped, 5% expertise and 3.14% block.

What should i be shooting for?

The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bloodhoof&n=Nspirn)

cen1
02-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Well looking at your gear strictly from the block set standpoint, I'd say you are well on your way.

I would say try to pick up the T7/7.5 Helm... has some nice BV on it and you can throw the 5% BV meta in it.
There's a decent BV ring that drops in Reg. UK
Waistguard of the Tutor would also help you out.

If you are really going for it, you could think about gemming some strength in there for even more block value.

Health is really a non-issue in block gear, because with the level of stamina on most of the items you should be sitting pretty good without too much additional help.

The point of the block set is to almost nullify damage when tanking lots of mobs, while at the same time doing massive damage from damage shield & shield slams.
This set is usually not appropriate for main tanking boss fights, especially progression fights.

Interpretor
02-26-2009, 02:23 PM
As a warrior tank since they kind of nerfed blocking for warrior tanks I would'nt focus on blocks that much, just let block come naturally and try not to stack it, now I don't know much about tankadins but I do know their block mechanic is not like a warriors and their block might acually be useful to them. But as a warrior maintank like myself I tend to focus on 1. my threat 2. my health 3. my mitigations such as dodge and parry. I never really focused on blocking because it never compleatly mitigated my damage. But another thing you also have to keep in mind in that more block = threat from ur shield slams, but like I said before just let block come naturally and try not to stack it. That usually results in a good tank. I have close to 30k unbuffed but I do not stack stamina in every slot and enchant I worry more about hitting the boss with expertise and hit rating more then acually mitigating the boss's hits. Yes I am hit capped and I do worry about how much the boss hits me for since my guild has cleared everything but OS 25 with 3 Drakes (which we are currently looking for) I myself went into naxx 25 and tanked everything in there with 25k health unbuffed, not even worrying about how much damage and hits i mitigated and yes I am defence capped which is all I really worried about at the time. But later on as a tank you need to think about how much your guild's dps is going to go up and how much threat you need to produce to acually keep up with their threat gain. Although mitigation is 25% tanking it was the last thing I focused on in being a tank. Going back to what Cen said health comes natually too with the gear that drops these days, like theres a tank I know on magtherodin server that stacks 16+ expertise gems, does 3.5k dps, major threat, and still can get 30k health unbuffed. In the end it all comes down to where your guild sits progression wise, and what you as a tank need to focus on improving may it be threat, mitigation, health or just basicly being defence caped (uncrittable).

Nspirn
02-26-2009, 02:41 PM
My bad juju with avoidance is yyou take SPIKE damage. My healers know almost exactly how much I'm going to get hit for every time, allowing them to heal other targets if needed.

So stick around what 28k HP unbuffed? Sub in some STR gems for the extra HP i have? or expertise?

cen1
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Well I don't want confuse you, but I think I should clear up a few things.

1. As a maintank for your guild do not focus on building a block set for tanking bosses, it is not going to help your raid progress. There are some fights where a block set will help you (add tank on sarth) but usually boss fights require high HP pools, strong threat, and good AC.
2. When building a block set, most of the other stats are somewhat void. In a block set your are focusing on exactly that, raise your block stats as high as they can get, and the other stats will usually fall in line.

Macanudo
02-26-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm also a big fan of stacking block. It really is fantastic to have a great block set for trash and mob groups. But you won't see much affect when tanking single target boss fights. You'll end up seeing better results if you tone down the block and focus more on hit and expertise. Those stats will help with both trash mobs and bosses.

As for your question, 28k unbuffed is perfectly fine for 25man naxx. I've MT'd it with far lower health. The only encounter where you need more health would be 3d sarth excepting future Ulduar encounters.

Nspirn
03-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Changed a few things (STR STAM Gems) and picked up the t7.5 helm.

Please let me know what u think now. I really dont see much of a difference on progression bosses or single target mobs in general as when they hit me really hard, i block a TON of it.

21.57 Dodge
17.36 Parry
34.41 - 1438blocked

3.25expertise - think i should drop some STR-STAM gems for some EXP-STAM or straight Expertise?

Any help is appreciated.

robbon
03-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Would a block set with say 35% block and 23% dodge be useful in tanking the whelps and fire adds in sarth +2/3d ?

Our DK who usually does this role says he gets stunned lots as he has no block ?

Would the warrior tank block build be better in this case ?

Hengist
03-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Would a block set with say 35% block and 23% dodge be useful in tanking the whelps and fire adds in sarth +2/3d ?

Our DK who usually does this role says he gets stunned lots as he has no block ?

Would the warrior tank block build be better in this case ?
Stunned? If he is getting dazed, that means he fails at def minimum... Maybe he uses resilience for uncritaable? Not that great idea if you ask me....

I used my block set last night on our first sarth 3d 10 man kill on whelps and elementals, and it worked pretty awesome. Consists of some pieces from my "real" tanking set and lots of offpieces enchanted and gemmed for max block (ie mostly + def). Unbuffed stats: 26091 health, 22.07% dodge, 18.14% parry, 37.02% block, 87.41% out of 102.4% for "unhittable".

Wow Web Stats (http://wowwebstats.com/mawdycxcnmvrs) - physical damage column on the kill seems to be bugged, but on other tries you can see I mitigated about 25% physical damage.

here is wws with dps dk in tanking set in my spot instead: http://wowwebstats.com/mphvchvcelila Got to be noted that my tanking gear is of much higher quality though.