PDA

View Full Version : When to start DKP?

AxLxExX
02-25-2009, 09:05 AM
So my guild is quickly moving into higher up content, and gear is becoming an issue. We're on heavy recruitment, so there are frequently clashes between upper ranked people and lower, because most of the guild believes that if you've been in the guild for like, a day, or, a raid, you should not be allowed loot.
So my question is, at what point do you switch from a regular raid roll guild into a DKP using guild that gives gear to it's most committed members?

We've adopted a ranking system, like level 5's have been here for a while and are given priority on KT/Sapph gear as well as 213/226 gear. Level 4's free roll, level 3's arent given loot unless someone doesn't need, etc.

Sared
02-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I have never liked DKP. Ever. I've been burned/abused by it too many times to count now. However, in some cases, it is a necessary evil. The best use of it that I have seen thus far is a percentage-based DKP system. I mean, whats the point of hoarding your DKP if your going to spend 50% of it to get an item anyway? At its root, DKP rewards people for raiding, working to learn content, and getting no loot, with the promise of getting loot in the future.

Personally, I have a prefrence to loot council, and I have seen several guilds manage this in a way that is very open and transparent, rather than a group of officers playing favorites. Again, that depends a lot on how your inter-personal relationships are in your guild.

Another alternative that I like is a need/greed/teir roll system. Each member is given a need roll, a greed roll, and a tier roll for each raid lockout period on a certain instance. When loot is distributed, they may spend one of these rolls to recieve it. If they do not win the roll, they retain the roll. If nobody wishes to spen thier need or greed roll, then the item is considered an 'open roll' for anyone to roll for, regardless of any loot they may have already recieved.

Hope some of these may help. Everyone loves to get phat lewtz, and a lot of the time it causes more drama than is cared for. Good luck to you, and be sure to let us all know if you figure out the 'perfect system'. :P

AxLxExX
02-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Could you explain loot council?

Also, the problem (for our guild) with the way you explained the alternitive is that: we need to keep loot in giuld.
Like, last week we recruited some ret pally and he raided with us that day. He won a weapon over a TG warrior that's been with us for years...because of our system that we had in place then, we could not tell him he couldn't roll.

So now we're switching to a 'kind of' DKP. As in, those that have made it clear that they're here to stay get first roll...as if someone who had lots of DKP could do. It's like figuritive DKP. You've raided every raid for a year, you get first dibs.

Not really favorites in that I hate half of the people in the group

Kalbitang
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Loot council is basically a select few people decide who gets what drops. Usually, these will be guild officers. There are obviously some variations on it, and it's debatable how effective it is. My guild used it for a while, and, in general, things we well. However, we did have a few people leave because they weren't happy with it.

The quality of loot council varies wildly. People factor in what class you are, raid attendance, performance, etc. Sometimes a few people are asked to roll for the item. Unfortunately, loot council are sometimes corrupt (for lack of a better word). Lots of stories of loot council/officers gearing themselves up before others, or friends of loot council members coming in for one raid and getting priority.

So, it really depends on how honest the people running the loot council are. As I said, we had overall pretty good success with ours, but it does require people understanding more than their own class. And, in a lot of ways, a point system is probably more fair.

We've started using DKP in the last few weeks. One reason is to try to get better attendance, and the other reason to make things more fair. So far so good, but I guess we'll see.

Oh, and any system can get corrupted if the ones running it are jerks.