PDA

View Full Version : Prot Warrior Looking for Advice

Gwyndaran
02-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums so if I posted this in the wrong spot, please let me know.

I've currently just started raiding 25-man Naxxramas and I'm at the point now where I'm not sure which stats I should be improving on.

Right now unbuffed I have:
28796 Health
2501 Attack Power
201 Hit Rating
6 Expertise
23264 Armor
545 Defense
23.60% Dodge
17.18% Parry
19.64% Block

I know my Expertise is pretty low but I'm not sure what I should raise it to.

If I get a piece of gear and it comes down to a choice between avoidance or expertise, what should I be getting? What should my hit rating be at?

Basically I'm wondering which stats need to be increased, how much they need to be raised (ideally), and which stats I can afford to sacrifice in order to raise others.

Any and all help is appreciated :)

Edit:

For instance, I'm looking at these two pieces and I can either have:

50 Parry
34 Expertise
1 Red Socket

OR

12 Stamina
17 Strength
44 Block Value
7 Defense Rating
36 Block Rating

I'll lose about 1% Avoidance but I'll gain 34 Expertise and some Block Value - since my Expertise is so low, though, should I take the first piece over the second piece?

Whitegold
02-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Can I recommend be.imba.hu?

I really like it. You put in your server and name and it gives you a list of things to improve, where the caps are, what the flaws in your setup are, low hit ratings, missing enchants, etc.

Thankfully it can't tell that you're useless and incompetent, so i get away with that one. :D

Rosko
02-25-2009, 12:59 AM
well i have began to stack expertise in sted of avoidence. its inportant to not get parryed caus of counter atack, and ofc the more u hitt the more threat, dmg, rage etc. caus of D-returns u gain more if u gem stam, expertise n hitt imo =)

Kaumu
02-25-2009, 01:08 AM
Yes, high avoidance means you arent getting hit (less rage)

Low expertise you are not hitting (less rage)

In my opinion gone are the days of stacking as a avoidance tank, specially as a warrior.

You must be struggling a bit with TPS?

I would focus primarily on Expertise for now, there are gems and enchants at your disposal for this as well.

Macanudo
02-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Like everyone else suggested, increasing your expertise should be your number one priority right now.

You're health and dodge are perfectly fine the way they are but you can afford to start stacking some block rating gear. Block doesn't have the diminishing returns that dodge does and you get some rage every time you block since you're not blocking all the damage.

Gwyndaran
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Yes, high avoidance means you arent getting hit (less rage)

Low expertise you are not hitting (less rage)

In my opinion gone are the days of stacking as a avoidance tank, specially as a warrior.

You must be struggling a bit with TPS?

I would focus primarily on Expertise for now, there are gems and enchants at your disposal for this as well.

My TPS isn't bad (I don't believe). The minimum I'll get is around 2300 (unless it's a boss that involves a lot of moving, then it's close to 1800) and I usually cap out around 4200. I'd say my average is probably close to 3k.

What number should I be raising my expertise to?

Edit: I appreciate all the responses by the way :)

Khal
02-25-2009, 11:15 PM
soft cap your exp at 26, then try and fit in hit rating. 2k tps will tide you over for heroics assuming you dont get a geared group who dont know how to wait for established aggro.