PDA

View Full Version : 3.1/Ulduar Progression Spec?

kroxix
02-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Hello all of my fellow Warrior Tanks,

Sorry if this topic has already been covered, I did a quick search and didn't see anything related to this. If there is a thread out there similar to this one, please point me in the right direction. Also, if this is placed in the wrong forum, I apologize.

I wanted to get some opinion/discussion going about different specs some of you may plan to be using for progression purposes with 3.1 and Ulduar. With the PTR only hours (maybe a bit longer, we all know Blizzard) away, the thought of, "What spec should I be rolling into Ulduar with?!" has crossed my mind many many times and I'm still a little up in the air about it. Also with the lack of changes to Protection Warriors, I am skeptical about certain specs. Here's my thought process on the entire thing:

A progression build, for me, is maximizing my mitigation. So a 5/8/58 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVZhxZiItrg0zidIzsGo) build looks a bit intriguing. BUT, I've been using the 15/5/51 (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LAM00fZhbZMItrx0zidIzsGo) (or other various DW builds), so I am used to the TPS I am putting out (on both trash and bosses). Not only have I gotten used to it, but my DPS has as well. I'm currently doing a consistent 5.5-6.5k TPS with the DW build, but I see a drop in my TPS with the mitigation build.

Ulduar is supposed to be a level of difficulty higher than current content. So I guess what this comes down to is: do I maximize my mitigation to take the burden off of my healers? Or do I keep my TPS to let my DPS go all out (we have some pretty high DPS in my guild, 4.5-5.5k DPS on 10 man Patchwerk)? My healers are also very skilled too (Druid, Paladin, Shaman, Disc Priest, they can all pretty much 2 heal any 10 man content, and we've done Nax 25 with 4 healers for the majority of it).

Any insight or useful information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Krox

Tankueray
02-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Dual specs are a magical thing! I haven't decided on my mitigation spec yet, but I will be keeping my current deep wounds build, because I'm attached to it. I love seeing numbers all over the place.

kroxix
02-24-2009, 08:43 AM
I agree with the dual spec comment. Though I am MT of my guild, what warrior doesn't like to do some DPS and/or PvP every now and then? I guess I could use my dual spec for 2 protection specs, but I had my mind set on having a PvP or DPS spec as my 2nd spec.

Forklift
02-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Unless you are actually too poor to respec a few times a week, it's probably best to have your second spec be DPS/PVP. The simple fact that going completely 180 from tank to DPS means a more massive change in keybinds and action bar buttons ought to encourage you to save yourself the hassle.

Small change in bars/glyphs from prot1 to prot2 means you can do it manually and pay 50g. Big change from either prot to DPS should be taken care of by the dual spec feature.

Nez
02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Im not budging from the DW build until something pushes my face in.

My dual spec "off sepc" will be a DPS , fury or arms depending on how the TG CHANGES works out.

NOTE - Changed Nerf to changes till its live, who knows what it will end up as at this point.
:D

Yakra
02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
With their being actual glyph options now, and those being part of the saved specs, I'll probably end up with a Survival setup, and a Threat set up.

Xav
02-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Going to wait till the full warrior changes (the final ptr build before live) before I finalize something. Especially since we have seen maybe 1/10th of the warrior changes planned :P

shiz98
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
As of right now (so pretty meaningless, but yeah...) your highest TPS/DPS spec will have 3/3 AttT, 2/5 Cruelty, DW, and full Imp. Rend.

kolben
02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
If you are considering a build for mitigation, I like this Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=LVZhiZVItrg0zidIzsGo) better. That's with the current talent sheet of course.

Things are likely to change rapidly at this point, we'll have a better handle on what's available and even the relative difficulty of Ulduar the night before 3.1 goes live. Currently got my bets on it not requiring anything ridiculous, the latest topics on tank survivability have probably scared Blizzard off from making much of anything super hard hitting.