PDA

View Full Version : frost spec tank advice

Grifieth
02-23-2009, 08:31 AM
ellos, i have been tanking as frost spec for over a month now and was wondering about some suggestions. The World of Warcraft Armory (http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dawnbringer&n=Grifieth)
having a lil trouble with my threat and need soem advice. my rotation with single target is IT-PS-BS-BS-OB-OB-BS-BS-OB rinse and repeat with RS macro'd to all my abilities except BS cuz for some strange reason i cant get it to work with ability. im usually fine in aoe as long as someone dosent startaoeing the sec i start my rotation. <also side note, the reaosn i put put points into viru was bc i saw thatwith melee dps its 8% cap which im working on but i figured HB,IT, pest, and maybe PS were capped at 17% dunno would liek sme to clarify that 4 me>. but any adice would be much appreciated on how to make my toon more avoidance/threat for MT role. thanks inadvance.

Inaara
02-23-2009, 10:11 AM
The first thing you absolutely need to do is change out your parry gems, all of them. Get your expertise up to at least 26, especially since you're using a Obliterate build. You can make up for alot of threat just by regemming.

Not having Killing Machine and Epidemic is most likely hampering your threat gen/DPS. I would suggest this build:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=j0EMZGgxzhebMhoVosx0g)

It skips out on Improved Icy Talons which opens up alot of options for you. Epidemic allows you to throw in more Obliterates before refreshing and KM gives you crits.

Entry
02-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Epidemic is trash as a frost tank. :/

sylense
02-23-2009, 05:10 PM

Actually, I like Epidemic for the extra breathing room it gives you. You can sneak in a few extra Oblits every few rotations and you have more GCDs before having to reapply diseases.

For your rotation, you should be doing 3 Oblits in a row on your second rotation with your Death Runes and hitting Frost Strike to burn your KM procs (if they aren't eaten up by IT).

Oroborous
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

Your wrong, in an aoe situation epidemic allows you to spend less time tabbing pestilences and more time using the runes for things such as blood strike for more tps or even an extra obliterate and howling blast as both if talented right should have both diseases on due to the extra dmg/threat they give you.

Entry
02-23-2009, 09:21 PM
You're missing the part where Blood Plague only increases your Blood Strike damage, and the fact that you (as Frost) end up somewhat spamming IT. I suppose for your content level it's fine, but for the big boys it's pretty trash.

Vodai
02-24-2009, 12:59 AM
You can live without Epidemic, Frost and Blood diseases are getting bumped to 15 seconds anyways.

Oroborous
02-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Edit: read over 3.1 ptr and noticed that everything I have stated is null and void, all hail the age of useless DW and useless HB!

Satorri
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
People like to post in extremes, "over-powered," "useless," "only," "pointless."

I understand that you are frustrated, or happy with things you've discovered, but these are not helpful. Much of everything exists in a gray area, and rather than offering blank and extreme qualitative judgments, offer specific reasoning and numbers when you can.

If we can make that the communal norm people will be able to tell what applies and what is out-dated as patches continue to reshape and rebalance the class.

HB is not, nor will it be useless, nor is dual wielding. Dual wielding is simply no longer better, it's just the same. HB has the potential to hit every bit as hard now as it did before, but it is strictly a deep frost ability. With the new glyph it could actually be really very handy.

Can we keep discussions specific and constructive, and save the histrionics for blue-begging official forum posts?

Vodai
02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
IDK, there are some nerfs for sure, but also some buffs. It's also just PTR so I expect things to come and go possible. This cheered me up today:

Glyph of Howling Blast (new) - Your Howling Blast ability now infects your targets with Frost Fever.

Tarrke
02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
HB has the potential to hit every bit as hard now as it did before, but it is strictly a deep frost ability. With the new glyph it could actually be really very handy.

I won't go for some "useless" about HB, but they cut of 25% of its damage. This is not nothing. If HB was the same but at its new place in the tree, I'm ok, but now, even with the new glyph I really don't know. I'll may give a try to this ae rotation, it may work well, but needs some testing.
DnD - HB - BB
HB BB -- tab repeat

Tabbing won't be important in fact, but this should spread the "white threat" to different mobs. The new BB can give us some good threat to strat with, even if it's the 3rd gcd we spend, with a glyphed HB FF should be avery where with that.

Any other ideas how to use this new HB and this nex glyph ?

Inaara
02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
You would open up with HB to spread Frost Fever and then follow up with another HB that will hopefully be a crit thanks to KM. DnD doesn't really have a place in Frost AoE tanking. Haven't been able to test anything because I keep getting fatal errors on the PTR.

Tarrke
02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
There is still a 5 sec CD on HB.

So I don't think that waiting for 5 sec before landing a second spell to get high treat. I'll give a shot to something w/o DnD as an opener kind a :
HB BB -- repeat

And why don't you think that DnD doesn't fit in a frost ae opening ? Or maybe I wasn't clear in my rotation upper, I meant.
Open with DnD, once.
HB BB -- repeat (while nb_mobs > 1)

edit : have been check for that 5 sec question, sorry for xKhellendrosx who take his time to do what I should have done :s

xKhellendrosx
02-25-2009, 08:29 AM
There is still a 5 sec CD on HB or did they leave this restriction ?

In the second case I nothing more to say than WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT !!!

Sorry for this disgusting happyness. I'll be more carefull next time.

Still has a 5 second cooldown. Sort of have to wait and see as the ptr evolves in HB will continue to see changes (I have a feeling it will.) Also I'm still disappointed that it seems that Blood of the North might be staying a 5 point talent instead of becoming a 3 point talent because they decided to boost Frost strike damage.

Grifieth
02-25-2009, 05:32 PM
thanks everyone for their input, will take these to heart