PDA

View Full Version : I hate college

AxLxExX
02-23-2009, 09:29 AM
So I am currently a freshman at temple university in philadelphia. Temple claims to be one of the top 3 most connected universities in the nation (in terms of internet.)

Last tuesday at like 11 pm, I was playing wow and started experiencing god aweful latency issues. I'm talking like 1500-2000. So I stopped playing and got off my computer, thinking they were doing network maintenance or something. The next morning I hop on, same problem. I call tech support. We figure out that there is a problem (tech support is great huh?.) So later that day they send a guy out and he tells me it is NOT a problem with my computer.

Next day same problem. That day I made 4 calls to the tech support people until eventually they tell me that the people that could look at/fix the problem left for the day.

Next day: I call and the guy asks what time I would be available for someone to come out and look at my ports. I tell him 330.

4:00 rolls around and still no arrival, so I call back in. I kid you not, this is our conversation:

"Did they imply that someone was actually going to come out?" - him
"His exact words were: what time are you available for someone to come out?" - me
"So....where did he imply that someone was actually going to come out?" - him

So after 40 minutes of arguing, we get a guy to come out. He comes in with his doo-dad and tells me my ports are fine. He says my net will be monitered over the weekend and they'll tell me what hte problem is.

Weekend happens : internet was ok. I thought it might've been fixed

Sunday night, 7 PM - I hop on, latency of 10736 in WoW. Pinging google.com at 2500-3000.

So this morning I called the tech support people, and they told me it was no longer their problem. They gave me the number of the people who's problem it actually was.

I call them, and come to find that A.) They are not an internet maintenace group, B.) They have no idea who I am.

So I call the tech people, and immediatly ask to speak to a supervisor. I get the supervisor. She tells me it's probably a problem with my computer, and won't look anymore into it until I bring my laptop directly to her to get looked at. When I get there my first words are "If you do fix anything, you'll have to fix about 7 other laptops in my building."

She makes a call to a guy to look at my building's network. They test my laptop on their internet, it works at lightning speed.

She promised something will get done today. If not, there's going to be explosions, gunfights, and people yelling "WHY GOD WHY DIDN'T WE FIX ALEX'S INTERNET"

PS, I live in one of their dorms
Sorry for the rant.

Jalousie
02-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Welcome to university life. I lived with three people in my second year who refused to even get the Internet connected in our house. Thank God I didn't play WoW then; although not being able to check my university email in the morning, getting to class and finding out it was cancelled was bad enough.

AxLxExX
02-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Someone's coming out at 230. There may be violence.

shiz98
02-23-2009, 11:23 AM
I had the same issue (it actually prevented me from being a regular in my raid group...) for a couple months. The university-supplied internet in the dorms is normally pretty good, but at a certain time at night they remove the bandwidth caps and everyone gets it first-come-first-serve.

Someone moved in during the second semester who was apparently an avid P2Per, because the internet speeds would drop to less than dialup every night. I feel for you :(

Rennadrel
02-26-2009, 10:57 PM
When I was in college the network was a joke. I kid you loading times for browsing the internet were insanely slow, it would actually take like 5 minutes to load GameSpot.com at the beginning of the school year, yet I could download stuff at lightning speed. Eventually I got a cheap internet connection of my own but wound up just using it for playing games on and browsing the internet, cause downloading was extremely slow outside of game updates.

breaklance
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
i know of Temple, got a few friends who go there. I'm at a smaller college near pittsburg, and for the most part the cable is OK. During the day, like noon, slow as hell. During the night, its fine. I never get dc'd unless the entire building does, only real problem is downloads take foooooorever most likely cause they put limiters on that.

O but apparently my internet is too crappy for my xbox to work in my room. In the living room on wireless, laggy but works. my roommates rooms, works perfect. I guess thats another problem too, the wireless hubs in this building aren't configured correctly. You'd have to stand 10 feet directly below any of them for the best wireless connection the way theyre set up.

BUT im also used to comcast internet from around south east of DC. Its very fast all right...the random disconnects every 1-12 hours are lightning fast too, only stopping for like 30 seconds...in one night i was dc'd 4 times on 4 consecutive pulls while mt-ing hydross in ssc. after that, didnt dc untill 2-3 hours after the first incident, but it happened right after a last attempt so it looked like i ghost logged. That kind of thing happens often when im at my parents house.

Muffin Man
02-27-2009, 01:48 PM
When I was in college the network was a joke. I kid you loading times for browsing the internet were insanely slow, it would actually take like 5 minutes to load GameSpot.com at the beginning of the school year, yet I could download stuff at lightning speed. Eventually I got a cheap internet connection of my own but wound up just using it for playing games on and browsing the internet, cause downloading was extremely slow outside of game updates.

I'd forgotten how unplayable online games were in the dorms, unless you were doing a lan with floormates or whatever. At my college we had a very very aggressive firewall (in part to block p2p services as well). I just ended up spending most of my online time on IRC getting songs/movies instead of gaming. I wasn't really into any computer games back then so if I wanted to play, well there were many game consoles within walking distance of my room :D.